View Poll Results: Do you like the exterior design of the 2009 TL?
Yes
28.22%
No
55.00%
Will have to see in person
16.77%
Voters: 2218. You may not vote on this poll

Do you like the exterior design of the 4G TL?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009 | 08:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AcuraSoulElement
One thing is for sure, its simply not a photogenic car
Ditto!
Old 01-03-2009 | 11:43 AM
Advanced

i was actually dead set about not getting another acura especially the new 2009 tl, but i test drove 7-8 different cars and then my wife told me to go test drive the new TL. The car just does not photograph well, because in person i COULDN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF IT. I bought it right after the test drive. the rear end is what sold me, plus it looks a little more upscale and not so racerish like the 3g.
Old 01-03-2009 | 01:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rehab_pain
i was actually dead set about not getting another acura especially the new 2009 tl, but i test drove 7-8 different cars and then my wife told me to go test drive the new TL. The car just does not photograph well, because in person i COULDN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF IT. I bought it right after the test drive. the rear end is what sold me, plus it looks a little more upscale and not so racerish like the 3g.
- you had me going just until after ".. in person..." - I thought I knew where your post was going
Old 01-03-2009 | 04:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rehab_pain
...the rear end is what sold me...

I've loved that booty ever since I first saw it in this spy photo!

Old 01-03-2009 | 09:23 PM
no more boost in

It certainly grew on my after I drove it
Old 01-04-2009 | 04:34 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs down I'll Be Hanging On To My '08 TL Thank You!

As so many indicated, Acura layed another egg on the exterior design. The design of the front grill is only outdone by the terrible rear design.

So much for all the anticipation!
Old 01-08-2009 | 11:48 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Thumbs down

Saw a 2009 TL driving around the other day and nearly lost my lunch. That is one butt-ugly car!!

The rear looks like a cheesy late-model Cadillac that got bashed with a very potent ugly stick. That vertical crease is pathetic. The front looks like ol' buck-toothed Tow Mater from "Cars." The TL is now so blatantly hideous that it almost makes the horrid 2009 RL look OK by comparison.

...I said almost.
Old 01-12-2009 | 09:45 AM
Cruisin'

Love the new design, it really grows on you. & the Sh-AWD looks much better than the FWD.
Old 01-12-2009 | 06:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Becky, between the AWF to FWD, only the stock rims and tires on the FWD give it away, as you don't see the front of the car that much to notice the reflector difference. Sportier tires and rims really make the car.
Old 01-12-2009 | 06:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BeckyBoo
Love the new design, it really grows on you. & the Sh-AWD looks much better than the FWD.
Originally Posted by bmode
Becky, between the AWF to FWD, only the stock rims and tires on the FWD give it away, as you don't see the front of the car that much to notice the reflector difference. Sportier tires and rims really make the car.

I'll have to agree w/ you both - sportier tires and rims really make the car
Old 01-12-2009 | 11:26 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up I have waited 5 years

Originally Posted by Aristides
As so many indicated, Acura layed another egg on the exterior design. The design of the front grill is only outdone by the terrible rear design.

After waiting since 2004 to see and buy the new TL, I am able to report that I am now driving my new sedan with high powered V6, 18"wheels, courtesy lights, heated steering wheel, air conditioned seat, HardDrive audio, smooth auto trans, push button start, auto dimming mirrors, inside and outside, power tilt & telescope, power lumbar, power sliding moonroof, power roof sunshades & power rear window sunshade, dual sun roofs, rear seat audio and ac controls, wood interior trim, and much, much more. This is the car that Acura should have built as the 2009 TL but didn't....My new car is a Nissan Maxima SV Premium/Tech. And I love it. First non-Honda car since 1977. Sorry Acura but you were a big dissapointment this year and I wanted a new car. I'll check you out in 5 years to see what you offer.
Old 01-13-2009 | 02:30 AM
Intermediate

I only left my comments because this is a poll on the exterior design of the 4G TL and whether people like it or not. This has nothing to do with content, features or price or how it drives. I'm sure that the 4G is more advanced than the 3G, no one is taking any of that away from the proud owners of their new TLs.

However, like the original poll asks, do you like the exterior design of the new TL? My answer is still undoubtedly no. I really want to like the new design. I don't think that there is much better car or value out there when you compare it feature for feature. But part of the equation is based on looks, and I'm sorry I'm so shallow. Every time I go into the garage I smile when I see my 3G TL. It's got the right proportions in my opinion, and the shape is subtle and aggressive without being fussy.

The new design looks extremely tall and slab sided to me, and the busy trunk section with chrome inset and pointiness only serve to try and hide the overall blunt profile. However, the front fender line is the biggest part of the car I can't seem to get over. The line of the car runs into it and is severely interrupted by the fender flare and gives a sense of bulging probiscous to me. The factory aero kit only serves to exaggerate the height of the car as well. However, all of the detailing seems to be done well, but I suppose that's like commenting to your cousin that at least his girlfriend doesn't have a lazy eye as her best feature. :P

The overall height of the car in relation to the fender also means that without larger rims, the wheels tend to look extra small on the vehicle, which forces larger and harsher riding tire/wheel combinations to properly fill the wheel well.

I'm sure that the current 5-series BMW turned off the previous 5-series owners the same way, a very pretty car was replaced by a flamboyant design that wasn't a classical shape.

If all of this makes me a hater since I was asked to comment and I did so honestly, then hate I shall.

PS. If there is any new car that is uglier than the 4G TL, it's gotta be the 09 Maxima. Sorry ramilford, I had to say it.
Old 01-13-2009 | 01:41 PM
Intermediate

I saw one on street last night. I thought it was a Pontiac by looking at the tail....
Old 01-13-2009 | 09:25 PM
Pro

This might be the first car I only like in a single color: Palladium Metallic. Maybe the other colors are still growing on me.
Old 01-13-2009 | 09:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AcuraSoulElement
This might be the first car I only like in a single color: Palladium Metallic. Maybe the other colors are still growing on me.
Palladium was the 1st color I liked the car in too. for me it helped tone down the in your face grill and the trim below the trunk
Old 01-14-2009 | 10:53 AM
I drive a Subata.

No, I don't like the exterior design of the 2009 TL.
Old 01-14-2009 | 06:54 PM
6th Gear

Initial impressions from seeing photos of the 09 resulted in severe dislike of the new look, so much so that we purchased an 08 instead. The guillotine grille and the inset on the rear end just weren't doing it for me. However, having now seen a white 09 in the showroom, I'd say the car looks a lot better in person and my opinion of it has changed from strongly disliking it to liking its looks. I didn't roam the dealer's lot looking for TLs in other colors, but it didn't look half bad in white.
Old 01-15-2009 | 10:50 AM
Advanced

my first impressions have pretty much stuck. from the spy photos to seeing the car at the dealership and on the road a few times i can honestly say i'm still not impressed. i had really hoped seeing the car in person would sway my opinion, but it has only confirmed my initial gut reaction.
Old 01-17-2009 | 08:42 PM
1st Gear

I'll try and add a little subjectivity from someone outside of the fold here. Clearly this design is extremely polarizing among Acura owners. Personally, my wife and I have never considered buying a TL until seeing this car in person. This thing is a beast: love the angles, the front, the rear, the profile, the ride height, the size, everything.

I agree with others that photos do not do this car justice, especially ones from a lower perspective...
Old 01-17-2009 | 09:12 PM
Racer

Thumbs down

I finally went to the dealer tonight to see the 09 since I haven't seen but one and I stay outside of Houston. I was not happy with the outside appearance. I will not be replacing my 3rd gen with this for sure. The RL is even worst. No way would I pay twice as much for what looks like a accord with a chrome strip running down the side. Thank God that there are other choices out when I go into the market. Acura did however get the interior right
Old 01-19-2009 | 10:53 AM
Cruisin'

After reading many of these posts, I agree with most. I like the look of the 3g type S much better than the new 4g. The back end reminds me of my parents 08 Toyota Avalon.

I do have one big question that might of been covered in these 9 pages but I missed. What happened to the TYPE S? Did the AWD replace that? Thanks in advance to anyone that answers that for me.
Old 01-19-2009 | 12:51 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

maybe the 2010 type s 6 speed, if there is ever one, will become more appreciated by our crowd.
Old 01-19-2009 | 02:04 PM
Suzuka Master

horrendous aesthetics, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder ...after 6 months, it still hasn't grown on me
Old 01-20-2009 | 11:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Aristides

Saw one in person over the weekend. Without a doubt the ugliest exterior since the Pontiac Aztec and a challenger with the Edsel for worst ever
Old 01-20-2009 | 08:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by par1420
I'll try and add a little subjectivity from someone outside of the fold here. Clearly this design is extremely polarizing among Acura owners. Personally, my wife and I have never considered buying a TL until seeing this car in person. This thing is a beast: love the angles, the front, the rear, the profile, the ride height, the size, everything.

I agree with others that photos do not do this car justice, especially ones from a lower perspective...
Ditto. Many can't seem to look past the grill and consider how the whole exterior package flows together. There are more subtle features that I didn't appreciate at first. Such as how hood curves down on either side and then back up to the center. Or the curve above the wheel.

Yesterday, I walked past a 3G in a parking lot and it's a fine car but ... all I'll say is that I love my 4G. However, I'll admit it that I was very uncertain when I first saw them in September. But by December, I was hooked and bought one. Must be an acquired taste.
Old 01-22-2009 | 11:29 PM
Banned

I never thought there would be an uglier car than the new Camry. Acura has proven me wrong.

I like what they did with the new TSX, same concept, just new fresher more aggressive lines. I was expecting them to do the same with the TL.

Why would anyone not get the G35 or 07/08 typeS? I wouldn't even consider this ugly boat with wheels.

Acura truly messed up a great thing.
Old 01-22-2009 | 11:31 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

don't want to bash the car, but we have to accept it.
Old 01-23-2009 | 07:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 06TLAM
I never thought...
Apparently not.

:troutslap
Old 01-23-2009 | 08:57 PM
Palladium AWD w/Tech

I do think they missed the design - If dealers are painting the grilles, there is a problem. And, the only color I wanted the car in was paladium. That said, I do like the design.

On the front - it has grown on me and I think this will be looked back on as a better design than people give it credit for. All of the Photoshopped pics mute the grille, but they take something away from the car and make it look more average. If I had to change it, I would have just extended the hood down a few inches to make the grille a bit smaller (closer to the TSX). But, again, I do like it now. People definitely notice the car.

On the back - I think it is one of the nicest looking backs of a car on the market. Not totally original, but I love the extra angle.
Old 01-26-2009 | 02:36 PM
Full of water...

there is a lot i like, and a lot i dislike, but the one thing i cant stand is the over use of fake chrome trim. thats the one thing i really liked about my 3G compared to the same year TSX. the TSX had plenty of chrome, and the TL did not, and it should really have stayed that way. i try to picture the TL without it and i looks plain, but when i look at it with, it just looks wrong. i love my NBP TL, but this new CBP just looks plain and average. i really love the tech inside this car, but i will hold off for now to buy one until there are more after market exterior mods.
Old 02-01-2009 | 09:08 PM
MC_Driver

Keeping my TL-S

I sell Acura's and I don't even like driving them anymore. Lexus, here I come.
Old 02-02-2009 | 01:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ban this guy.
Old 02-11-2009 | 06:14 PM
Cruisin'

Saw one at the car show

I finally saw one at the DC Auto show this past weekend. I love the interior, dislike the grill, hate the trunk. I was seriously thinking about buying one once I get my tax refund. But after seeing it, I'm going to wait for 2010 with hope that the grill and trunk will be redesigned. So disappointed.

Vern

P.S. i saw people touch the grill and say "That grill has got to go!"
Old 02-11-2009 | 07:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vern1999
I finally saw one at the DC Auto show this past weekend. I love the interior, dislike the grill, hate the trunk. I was seriously thinking about buying one once I get my tax refund. But after seeing it, I'm going to wait for 2010 with hope that the grill and trunk will be redesigned. So disappointed.

Vern

P.S. i saw people touch the grill and say "That grill has got to go!"
I also didn't like the look I saw at the car show but --

-- Vern drive one - many here had a new perspective after driving one
(esp the SH-AWD for me)
Old 02-11-2009 | 07:31 PM
Instructor

If I didn't love the way it looks I wouldn't have bought one! I think it looks hot!
Who could not like this...

Old 02-11-2009 | 09:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Haters, just haters. I can't find one car that I think is perfect out there. Not even my favorite car the Bently GT is perfect to me, I don't like how the back slopes into the trunk, it looks awkward, but once you drive in one, it's just out of control. I had to settle for my TL as the Bently is a little out of my price range, not by much, but just a little.
Old 02-11-2009 | 10:20 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bmode
Haters, just haters. I can't find one car that I think is perfect out there.
One thing though ... you can discount my post as just another "hater" but I feel I should at least like the looks for my $40K.
They took a styling gamble to be different; it works for some people, but it does not yet work for me.

No car is perfect, but after two years I still love my Vette and I will keep my TL another year in hopes of some "Tweaks" for the 2010 TL.

Vern
Old 02-11-2009 | 11:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Right on. My generalized comment was in direct response to DLeeWebb's post of:

Who could not like this...
Old 02-12-2009 | 04:48 PM
4th Gear

Mixed

I was in the dealership yesterday getting my 04 TL serviced (Gillman Acura, Houston TX) and there was a 09 TL that was on the showroom floor and had a Cadillac-eque grille on it from this site:
[http://www.wooddashexperts.com/custo...php?cat=32163]
and I actually liked it. I probably was delirious from hunger or something. But, nonetheless, I liked it.

When I first saw this car, I thought it was a monstrosity and the designer should've been fired, re-hired, then fired again--no joke.

Unfortunately however, we are stuck with it as being the 4th Gen TL. But I thought is was interesting that "aftermarketers", if you will, have already made a retail grille for it. The 3rd gen TL's grille was probably too cumbersome to work with I guess and until 2008 have we seen some nice custom grilles for it.

Long story short, as time passes a lot of peoples view of the 4th gen TL will probably change as "aftermarketers" keep making customizations for it.

At least, let's hope.
Old 02-12-2009 | 05:18 PM
Go Big Blue!

^^^ Thanks for sharing but :thumbsdow

That's not it either. I have no problem with the shield idea. It's the "out of bounds" sizing that makes it look all wrong. Put it inside the lines and in proportion and I see no issues with it

Quick Reply: Do you like the exterior design of the 4G TL?