View Poll Results: Do you like the exterior design of the 2009 TL?
Yes
28.22%
No
55.00%
Will have to see in person
16.77%
Voters: 2218. You may not vote on this poll

Do you like the exterior design of the 4G TL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 4G reminds me of a quote from the 'Color Purple" .. "you sure is ugly" ..
Old 08-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by dragonlord
All right Neuron here is my worth after the "photos" on the Acura website.....

Just so depressing to see the 4G! Time to spend more money on my black beauty!!

PEACE!

Someone will come out with custom grilles for this car, I'm quite sure.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:26 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am so dissapointed

I have been waiting for months for the new 09 generation to appear, postponing my decision to buy a new car until it got out.

My God, I not only don't like it, I think is hideous. How can a car company completely destroy a beautiful car like the old TL... Well, guess I won't be buying an Acura after all.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
That designer that keeps calling it "Keen Edge Dynamic" just needs to rename it "Bone Head Moronic".
Old 08-29-2008, 05:26 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ervool
I have been waiting for months for the new 09 generation to appear, postponing my decision to buy a new car until it got out.

My God, I not only don't like it, I think is hideous. How can a car company completely destroy a beautiful car like the old TL... Well, guess I won't be buying an Acura after all.
I think they have destroyed the entire model line with the new grill. It looks similar to what Saturn's grill.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Instructor

I like it....
Old 08-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Retired and Loving It

Hate the 09 TL

Last month I was really looking forword to seeing the new TL. I can't say how disappointed I am in this new TL. So upset that I went out and bought a new 08 TL Type S. I'm very impressed with my 08 and very happy I was able to find one just like I wanted. I don't know where Acura is going with their new line of cars. I haven't met one Acura salesperson that likes them. Acura is going in a direction that they won't be able to recover from for five to six years.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Oh god god, what have they done to the TL? It looks like they went out and hired the designers from Ford to go muck up the TL.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How long till the 5G?
Old 08-31-2008, 12:18 AM
10th Gear

In the boat manufacturing industry, our designers refer to feature lines, creases, bulges, textures, contours, and other styling elements as "surface excitement". If we have an existing model that has become stylistically outdated but the platform and it's mechanicals are still competitive, the designers cosmetically restyle the model through the addition of generous amounts of "surface excitement", directly over the top of the old model. This process is known as a "bondo job". (we would consider the new nose on the RL a "bondo job") The "bondo job" designers force the styling update by often adding "surface excitement" with a miopic asthetic, focusing on individual elements of the product at the expense of a cohesive overall product design. (let's call this "overstyled") With all of the bulges, feature lines, odd surface contours, and seemingly disconnected styling elements, I think the 09 TL looks like an 08 TL that was the victim of a bad "bondo job".
Old 08-31-2008, 11:46 AM
9th Gear

I agree the look of this car is not that great BUT the new features make it pretty awesome! I also believe that the car is now directed toward an older demographic now. I drive 2008 TLS and its got that sporty look to it and im 25. The new model has lost its sporty agressive look thats why its really geared towards older buyers.. What do you guys think about that?
Old 08-31-2008, 11:51 AM
4th Gear

09 TL Rear similar to old CL?

Anyone think that Acura took a step backwards and looked at the late 90's CL and copied parts of the rear from it?

Loot at this pic of the 98CL Rear. Notice how the car comes to a point in the back?

Old 08-31-2008, 04:12 PM
ua7 HIbernating in

i agree with you stealthc1...and i don't like the fact that it's almost as big as the RL...so what class would the 4G fit into now...i say they should stick with competing with the IS, BMW (3 series), C class Mercedes, G35/G37, Audi A4...if not they should produce more power for the new TSX...possibly a type S or type R!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Advanced

I think the chiseled look of the 3G was Acura's crowning design achievement. Recognizeable from any angle.

To paraphrase others, the 4G has that homogenized look like the entire Ford line.

Too bad. The 3G was such a good looking style.

Corporate stupidity again trumps good styling decisions. When will they learn?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Wocoomrd

IMHO, the 4th Generation TL looks like garbage. If Acura truly wants to compete with the big boys such as Mercedes and BMW, they need to start making higher quality in cabin materials.

Cars such as BMW and Mercedes goes through a new design every 6 - 7 years and most of the time, their cars still looks decent, never outdated during the last year production model for each car.

I feel that with the new generation Acura cars, it's trying to stand out, but stands out too much. I feel that the front grill looks like someone with gold teeth. It's ugly.

For the 4th TL, I was hoping they would keep the similar body style as the 3rd Gen but of course change a few things. I have a 2008 TL-S and was going to drive it for 3 years and get the 4th generation. From the pictures I've seen, the only decent cars in Acura's lineup are the MDX / RDX.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Instructor

Yes I do like it.

The front end looks kind of like the current TSX.
I think that more people will grow to like it once they see it in the flesh
Old 09-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Instructor

It takes a lot for me to login just to vote..
But I have to say No.

I'm even going to say the Hyundai Genesis is looking better than the TL at this point.
Sorry Acura but I'm done with you after my 3G TL. Sad that I waited this long for such a disappointment.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:24 PM
9th Gear

The 4th gen TL is just not appealing as the 3rd gen model..
But remember its STILL an Acura. In terms of looks yeah not so great. But the engineering behind these cars and overall value has not gone anywhere. In fact for the amount of new features on the new model and relatively the same price the car will do pretty well against its competitors. I could be wrong but that what I forsee for the 2009 TL.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by StealthC1
But remember its STILL an Acura. In terms of looks yeah not so great. But the engineering behind these cars and overall value has not gone anywhere. In fact for the amount of new features on the new model and relatively the same price the car will do pretty well against its competitors. I could be wrong but that what I forsee for the 2009 TL.
True, I'm sure the interior will be full of squeaks and rattles and let's hope the fading/blotchy dash issue is fixed...
Old 09-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by StealthC1
I couldn't agree more, because at the end of the day, the value, engineering, tech and everything that we've come to love about Acura is still there. Okay, some folks are turned off by the exterior design, fine. I just don't understand how a questionable exterior design would make some people give up on Acura. I know there are features that all of us would've loved to see in the TL that aren't available yet, which is good reason to be disappointed and even upset. But my comments are directed at the diehard Acura fans, not the ones who just bought a TL because it was a hot looking car.

I'm questioning the ones who have spent thousands of dollars on Honda/Acura products over the span of several generations and iterations of cars. Do you really think that it's worth giving up everything that you love about Acura to take a chance with another automaker, because they have a car that looks good? And I say "looks GOOD", not great, because there are no GREAT looking cars out on the market. The whole auto industry is struggling with designs right now, nobody has released anything groundbreaking. I guess people are willing to sacrifice value, engineering, technology, resale value, reliability and everything else you get with an Acura, for a car that simply looks better than the TL?

I know there are other factors that are playing a part in most of your decisions, but I think too many people are thinking with their eyes and not with their brains. For those of you that want to leave I ask this question, if the 4th gen TL would've been a hot looking car would you be talking about getting BMWs, Lexus', infiniti's? Probably not, which means that it's all about looks for most of you, and could care less about reliabilty and value.

And about the rattles, news flash, every automaker has issues them. Some have more rattles than others but it's pretty much about luck sometimes when it comes to rattles. I was lucky enough to not have any rattles with my '05 TL, but I had them in my '03 Accord. I didn't experience the "dusty dash" either, I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I just can't see myself leaving Acura because the TL is not the perfect car everyone wanted it to be. No car in it's class is leaps and bounds ahead, or that much better IMO, especially since none of us have seen it in person, or driven the car. Hands down the 4th gen TL is a better car than the 3rd gen TL, and that's the most important thing to me. Acura probably just doesn't do it for some of you anymore, and if that's the case then I understand that you don't want to stick around anymore. But if you still like everything that Acura represents, give them a chance. Have an open mind and be willing to accept change
Old 09-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=Ac Man;9958962]I couldn't agree more, because at the end of the day, the value, engineering, tech and everything that we've come to love about Acura is still there. Okay, some folks are turned off by the exterior design, fine. I just don't understand how a questionable exterior design would make some people give up on Acura. I know there are features that all of us would've loved to see in the TL that aren't available yet, which is good reason to be disappointed and even upset. But my comments are directed at the diehard Acura fans, not the ones who just bought a TL because it was a hot looking car.

Well eveyone has their reasons for buying. All major players in this market offer more choices in transmissions, better styling, better interiors, and a better overall driving experience.

I am curious to see how well this generation will hold up since the 2G and 3G had various issues. If they get it done right maybe people will over look the styling cues of the 4th gen. But with more than 50% not liking it from the pictures alone, acura better hope that the undecided individuals all like it and sway some of the people who do not like the looks.

I could live with the back end of the car if they had a much better grille... Maybe they will get it right for 2010.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Cruisin'

i think the new design is awful.

i have leased a 2004 TL and a 2007TL. I thought a 2010 was going to be a no-brainer, but now I will look elsewhere... I guess I'll look at Lexus and Audi? Disappointed.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ac Man
I'm questioning the ones who have spent thousands of dollars on Honda/Acura products over the span of several generations and iterations of cars. Do you really think that it's worth giving up everything that you love about Acura to take a chance with another automaker, because they have a car that looks good? And I say "looks GOOD", not great, because there are no GREAT looking cars out on the market. The whole auto industry is struggling with designs right now, nobody has released anything groundbreaking. I guess people are willing to sacrifice value, engineering, technology, resale value, reliability and everything else you get with an Acura, for a car that simply looks better than the TL?

I know there are other factors that are playing a part in most of your decisions, but I think too many people are thinking with their eyes and not with their brains. For those of you that want to leave I ask this question, if the 4th gen TL would've been a hot looking car would you be talking about getting BMWs, Lexus', infiniti's? Probably not, which means that it's all about looks for most of you, and could care less about reliabilty and value.

That's pretty much me that you're talking to. My TL is my 7th Honda/Acura product and I've loved each and every one of them, but the TL most of all! I've been waiting to see the new TL, not because I need a new car, but because I like this one so much that I was waiting to see what they added to it to make it better. I guess they did make it better in some ways, but in my opinion they really screwed up on the exterior of the car. Quite honestly, I don't like the view from any angle. It has no flare to my eye and the thing seems too big too.

As you stated, the other factors are still there (reliability, value, ride, technology, etc), but without the looks, it's still only kinda the car I'd really like to have, it won't be a car that I long for. On the other hand if something real bad happens to my 3G, it might be the car that I would settle for. And if it comes to that and I'm settling for something, then I'm also going to consider what other cars are out there that I might settle for.

You said there are no Great looking cars out there right now, and I would agree with that. That's why I'm very glad that I bought when I did because I think that the 3G has a lot going for it. With all of the "upgrades" to the 4G it still doesn't make me lust after it. And when the time comes, if Acura hasn't stepped up their design to what I think is nice looking, I'll definitely look around at whatever else is out there and give it a consideration.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Anansi
That's pretty much me that you're talking to. My TL is my 7th Honda/Acura product and I've loved each and every one of them, but the TL most of all! I've been waiting to see the new TL, not because I need a new car, but because I like this one so much that I was waiting to see what they added to it to make it better. I guess they did make it better in some ways, but in my opinion they really screwed up on the exterior of the car. Quite honestly, I don't like the view from any angle. It has no flare to my eye and the thing seems too big too.

As you stated, the other factors are still there (reliability, value, ride, technology, etc), but without the looks, it's still only kinda the car I'd really like to have, it won't be a car that I long for. On the other hand if something real bad happens to my 3G, it might be the car that I would settle for. And if it comes to that and I'm settling for something, then I'm also going to consider what other cars are out there that I might settle for.

You said there are no Great looking cars out there right now, and I would agree with that. That's why I'm very glad that I bought when I did because I think that the 3G has a lot going for it. With all of the "upgrades" to the 4G it still doesn't make me lust after it. And when the time comes, if Acura hasn't stepped up their design to what I think is nice looking, I'll definitely look around at whatever else is out there and give it a consideration.
I feel you man, because although I know that I want the TL, I've been checking out other cars as well. Just in case I didn't like the new TL, I wanted to explore all my options. But I just didn't see anything that appealed to me, so much, that I was willing to walk away from a brand that I'm comfortable with and trust. Nobody should walk away from Acura because the TL doesn't have a 6/7 speed tranny, cooled seats, adaptive headlights, laser guided cruise control or 350 HP. You should probably leave Acura when they start putting out crappy, inferior, non-competitive vehicles; and nobody can honestly say this about Acura.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Instructor

Not a car I would buy
Old 09-05-2008, 03:26 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Ac Man
I couldn't agree more, because at the end of the day, the value, engineering, tech and everything that we've come to love about Acura is still there. Okay, some folks are turned off by the exterior design, fine. I just don't understand how a questionable exterior design would make some people give up on Acura.

Do you really think that it's worth giving up everything that you love about Acura to take a chance with another automaker, because they have a car that looks good? I guess people are willing to sacrifice value, engineering, technology, resale value, reliability and everything else you get with an Acura, for a car that simply looks better than the TL?

The very first thing people notice about a car is how it looks. That initial reaction is extremely important. If the external appearance of a car totally turns them off when they first see it, they will be reticent to buy it no matter how good its technology, reliability, interior features, and resale value may be. I left value off that list because very few cars in the $40,000 range can be considered as "values".

On the other hand, most people don't buy cars just because they look good. Doing that would make absolutely no sense. The other factors just mentioned are also very important and must be taken into consideration. I believe there are many cars that that are equal to Acura in those respects and in my opinion, look a lot better than the '09 TL.

I was ready to replace my '03 3.2 TL with the '09 TL--until I saw pictures of it. And unlike some people, I do not wish to see the car in person. The pictures have told me enough. To me, the front end is ugly and the car is now almost as large as a BMW 750i. No matter how good the TL may be in all other respects, they can't overcome its appearance. And since appearance means a great deal to me, I will look elsewhere for my next automobile.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:10 PM
'06 TL 5AT NAV Anthracite

Well... Let me put it this way. I'm now treasuring my 3G TL even more. I can get used to the front end (even that crazy new grill), but I think that rear end is simply offensive. I can appreciate them trying to do more to stand out, but I think this current styling thing is not working. Not just the 4G TL. I think all of Honda's has some issues. IMO, it seems that the 8G Civic, 3G CR-V and to a certain extent, the 2G MDX and 2G Pilot was spared.

Hopefully, the 4G TL will grow on me.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:12 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with WayneJay... Its the rear that is most offensive to me... I really dislike the angled trunk lid a la CL... It fuckin looks like a damn Caddy now...
Old 09-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Advanced

yuck

that grill is nasty. Looks like its mouth is open and way to shiney. I think I could live with the interior, but that front is bad. The back isnt much better. Looks like its mouth is shut in the back. I live 15 minutes from the plant, hope my friends and neighbors dont get laid off from a terrible design. Think I will go for a Lexus IS-F
Old 09-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
It's funny I have owned 5 3G TL based cars, and usually flip every year or so. I was out looking at a G35 this last week with their great incentives, but in the end it seems I love my 3G Type-S, even though it lacks some of the current must have features (HD navi, music box, keyless start, etc). The G35 is a nice crar, but to me the Type-S rides far batter, the G35 is also more snug. My delemia may be that I will keep my 08 Type-S for a few years and treasure it every day, probably going to wind up saving me $$ in the end vs. flipping it so often. The 4G is too damn big, how much wider and longer can this thing get and still be sporty.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:09 AM
Advanced

looks like a cross between a ford focus n the new 2 door accord
Old 09-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Team Anth. Audio Engineer

I've driven every mile on my 04 3G TL. I paid it off a year ago and resisted the urge to go get another vehicle b/c I wanted to see the 4G. Man, now that I have seen it, I feel like the last year was wasted (even though it wasn't - I love my 3G).

I remember seeing a new MB C350 last year and remarking on how sharp it was. I definitely didn't get that initial impresson about the 4G. Bummer.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Instructor

Looks like a sharpened up CAMRY w/ the ass somewhat like the 1st gen CL but again bigger and sharper.

PEARL WHITE makes this TL look better than all other colors IMO. Over the weekend I saw one in white in City Island (Pearl white)... I still don't like it.

And that BEAK!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:31 PM
12volt Technician

its different, but tis still sick
Old 09-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
camry + new mazda 6 combined.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:23 PM
9th Gear

Hey question for you guys maybe somebody can help me. If you guys have studied the nav system on board the new 2009 TL you will notice the software is just an update over the current software on the 3rd gen models. The hardware has not changed either, so my question is if you buy the NEW 2009 TL Nav DVD for your 3rd gen model will it work with the weather info?
Old 09-10-2008, 05:05 PM
07typeS

Originally Posted by sensualscorpion15
i still say the nicest body style and design both inside and out that acura ever made is and always will be the 2007 and 2008 type-s!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............now thats a car...................the 2009 tl is a big let down and dissapointment...............unless they come out with a better design than my 08 type-s by the time my lease is over in 2011,i think ill keep mine..............it will be a classic.has every possible option i can ever want in a car..................2009 tl you can keep it!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad I got my TLS - is it me or does the grill look like it has a damn smile on the front as if to say ' I'm one ugly ass car and I know it '.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:59 PM
10th Gear

Thumbs up Pics confirm my decision

I traded in my TL in May for a Black G35 Sport, 6 speed manual, but was a little hesitant at the time because I wanted to see what the next gen TL was going to look like.

After I saw the infiniti in person, test drove it and saw the TL spy pics, my mind was made up. I'm not going dis the TL but, after driving the Infiniti for about 8K miles I would recommend all of you give one a test drive.

No more torque steer, 305 horses, about 24 mpg's, better build quality and in my opinion much nicer styling. On a positive note for the TL, I got good trade value from the Infiniti dealer. If you are thinking of upgrading to a next gen TL I stronly suggest that you test drive an infiniti.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:23 AM
Instructor

Can agree more on your infinity G35 choice. A lot more fun, sportier and no nightmare from that ugly Maxima looking 2009 TL. Man I hate the design. I know that I'll be keeping my 04Tl for a very very long time.
It's the same Stupid decision they did like when they decided to kill the Acura Legend in 96.
Nissan came out with the R35 GTR, Toyota with the Supra, and all Acura decide to do is chase us away. Eh what can you expect when the car in build in here.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:56 AM
6th Gear

Hey everyone,

I'm new to acurazine and I completely agree with most of your opinions on the 'unique' look of the 09 TL. The design team for the 09 TL must have figured that by combining the 'agressive' look of the camry, a grille that looks like the back of a shovel, and then having to make it more appealing by taking a page out of VW's and making it shiny, as we all know, if in doubt, make it shiny as we all know how much people like shiny things, hence giving those who loved the 3rd gen TL one of the hardest decisions ever to make.

Do you buy the car for is new perfomance abilities and put aside is 'great and new' looks?

I completely can not deny and lie to myself that I can live with the 09 TL even though is possibly going to be one of the best performance and luxury bargains with the 3.7L SH-AWD. I find disgust in the look so much that I went to Acura Dealership and bought the last WDP 08 TL-Type S the in the 6 speed manual in Canada and had it shipped from the other side of the country instantly!! Today I'm getting the a spec suspension installed after having the car for two weeks, hope it makes decent improvement, if not the moderate lower stance will look good at least.

Quick Reply: Do you like the exterior design of the 4G TL?