View Poll Results: Do you like the exterior design of the 2009 TL?
Yes
28.22%
No
55.00%
Will have to see in person
16.77%
Voters: 2218. You may not vote on this poll

Do you like the exterior design of the 4G TL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the new aggressive TL. One Caveat... it has to be in a light colour for me, otherwise the car just looks too heavy, and some of the character lines disappear with a darker colour. Is it on my wish list? YES!

Just one question for the "PHOTOSHOP" literate. Has there been an attempt to modify the stock grill for the new TL buy perhaps making just the top of the grill (that runs along the upper fender line where the grill mates with the engine cover) and the two channels cut into the grill "body coloured". Would that alleviate some of the "heaviness" to the front. Just wondering.

I'll take mine in the SH-AWD version.. techno package please.

Gord.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
I think this might possibly be the ugliest production car Acura has produced.
More like the ugliest sedan any manufacturer has ever produced.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I understand why so many people are saying that they don't like the new TL, because it's very different than anybody was expecting. No it's not an evolution of the current design, but Acura would've been bashed if they did that anyway. I like the new design, I don't LOVE it. I think that it's a fine looking car that will look better in person, and even better over time. There are many people that didn't like the 3rd gen TL when it debuted, if you can believe that. Why? Because it was so different than the 2nd gen TL and more importantly, people were not willing to accept change. And it's the same thing now with the 4th gen TL. People will eventually warm up to it, besides, there aren't any other cars available that looks sooooo much better than the new TL that Acura should be worried about.

I just think that some people are over reacting a little bit. Most of the 4th gen haters are probably those who bought 07 & 08 TLs, who want to justify their purchase by saying the 4th gen TL is butt ugly. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and some folks really don't like the 4th gen TL, which is fine. But just remember how many times we've seen things and hated it at first, only to turn around to like it or buy it later on.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
I have this feeling in my stomach like I would imagine I would have if my only son told me he was gay.

I would try and understand and unconditionally love...... but, it would be very difficult and tremendously disappointing.

Then, I would cling to the false hope that he was going though a phase.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:21 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Ac Man
I understand why so many people are saying that they don't like the new TL, because it's very different than anybody was expecting. No it's not an evolution of the current design, but Acura would've been bashed if they did that anyway. I like the new design, I don't LOVE it. I think that it's a fine looking car that will look better in person, and even better over time. There are many people that didn't like the 3rd gen TL when it debuted, if you can believe that. Why? Because it was so different than the 2nd gen TL and more importantly, people were not willing to accept change. And it's the same thing now with the 4th gen TL. People will eventually warm up to it, besides, there aren't any other cars available that looks sooooo much better than the new TL that Acura should be worried about.

I just think that some people are over reacting a little bit. Most of the 4th gen haters are probably those who bought 07 & 08 TLs, who want to justify their purchase by saying the 4th gen TL is butt ugly. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and some folks really don't like the 4th gen TL, which is fine. But just remember how many times we've seen things and hated it at first, only to turn around to like it or buy it later on.
You have a good point, but this new TL is really surprising me. I liked the 3G as soon as I saw it, the new TSX didn't look so great but after a couple of weeks I grew to like it and steadily liked it more and more. The 4G TL on the other hand, the more I see it, the more I dislike it. I disliked it less when I saw pics of it in dark blue and black, but that's probably because it hides the ugly lines.... not something to brag about. A beautiful car looks beautiful in almost any color, whether its white, silver, grey, black, bright red or dark blue.

Our entire family really like the 3G when it came out, to the point where we seriously considered trading in our 2G for one. But the 4G? Unanimous decision.... butt fugly.

I also NEVER liked the 2003-2005 Accord sedan rear and still don't.... surprise, they changed it completely! Thank god. I think Xpditor put it quite nicely. We can only hope for the MMC....

One thing's for sure, I'll take the inner road a few times and pass by the Acura dealership and see what I think, but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed. Either way, Acura pretty much guaranteed the death of the RL by making the new TL the same size and offering it with SH-AWD also.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Seriously! I agree with everyone who said that the 4G TL is a big disappointment...I was at the W in LA and for some reason they had about seven brand new ones parked out front...I got to see them in every color and still...not crackin!! I just bought my '08 TL a couple of months ago and am very happy that I got the 3G body style instead of the new one
Old 08-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Oh, jeez- I just saw the slideshow of the new 4G TL on Cnet.com-
The new TL looks like a previous-gen Maxima or Lexus GS (bloated and w/haunches) with an unattractive front end and a really ugly trapezoidal rear end, esp. with the spoiler.
The 3G looks so much cleaner and sharper compared to the 4G- and the new one is 6-inches longer- WTF is Acura thinking??! Well, at least it's a few lbs lighter...

So either I buy my '05 off the lease, get an '08 TL-S, or move to another car.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:48 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was just looking at the new TL, did anybody notice the quarter window? It's not completely on the door. A little section of the window is on the rear panel and not on the door like the 3rd gen. Wouldn't that make a lot of noise? If they cushion it up, it would look stupid.

Anybody see that?
Old 08-24-2008, 01:44 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Be-in my TL
I was just looking at the new TL, did anybody notice the quarter window? It's not completely on the door. A little section of the window is on the rear panel and not on the door like the 3rd gen. Wouldn't that make a lot of noise? If they cushion it up, it would look stupid.

Anybody see that?
The 2G TL has the same window design. I actually like the quarter window/C-pillar lines of the 2G TL better than the 3G. It looks a bit sleeker, if that makes sense...

I guess you like a vertical, completely flush rear window line?

Old 08-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I understand why so many people are saying that they don't like the new TL, because it's very different than anybody was expecting. No it's not an evolution of the current design, but Acura would've been bashed if they did that anyway. ........

I just think that some people are over reacting a little bit. Most of the 4th gen haters are probably those who bought 07 & 08 TLs, who want to justify their purchase by saying the 4th gen TL is butt ugly.
I disagree, look at Infinito, the G35 is a great evolutionary design of the G35. To some regards you can look ata Lexis ES as well and see the evolution, etc. I agree to each his own I think they'll sell a lot of 4G cars, just not to me. As to justifiying my 08 TL-S by hating the 4G, I think that is not true. Sure some may do that, but most 3G owners love this car, I have owned several and buying my latest was mostly becasue I saw spy shots of the 4G and was so turned off I needed to have one more 3G TL-S to hold since I knew a 4G was not for me. If anything I think to some of us the 4G makes us feel better about buying a 3G since the 4G is such a radical departure. Sure some of the 4G tech and the SH is nice, but if the car you own or want does not invoke true posictive emotion, then it doesn't matter what they cram in it!
Old 08-24-2008, 10:00 AM
9th Gear

I JUST bought my 2008 Acura TL TYPE S and I love it. The dealer actually tried to place a 2009 on order for me when it is released this fall and I said no.. Its a nice car but it looks like its for an older age demographic now.. And you guys are all right, that grill is soo bad...
Whats with the Acura Beak theme??
Old 08-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by KeithL
I disagree, look at Infinito, the G35 is a great evolutionary design of the G35. To some regards you can look ata Lexis ES as well and see the evolution, etc. I agree to each his own I think they'll sell a lot of 4G cars, just not to me. As to justifiying my 08 TL-S by hating the 4G, I think that is not true. Sure some may do that, but most 3G owners love this car, I have owned several and buying my latest was mostly becasue I saw spy shots of the 4G and was so turned off I needed to have one more 3G TL-S to hold since I knew a 4G was not for me. If anything I think to some of us the 4G makes us feel better about buying a 3G since the 4G is such a radical departure. Sure some of the 4G tech and the SH is nice, but if the car you own or want does not invoke true posictive emotion, then it doesn't matter what they cram in it!
Point taken, like I said, some people REALLY don't like the 4th gen. TL and that's fine. I have an '05 TL myself, and I think it looks better than the '09 TL, however, the '09 TL is a much better car, hands down! If people can get past the questionable styling they would see that.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Point taken, like I said, some people REALLY don't like the 4th gen. TL and that's fine. I have an '05 TL myself, and I think it looks better than the '09 TL, however, the '09 TL is a much better car, hands down! If people can get past the questionable styling they would see that.

I agree with that, looking at the fundamentals the 4G is a better car, but people don't need to "get past it", either they'll like the car or they won't, people buy cars for many reasons, some because it is NEW, others like the styling, others want the size or features, some want it all. I am curious to see how well it sells, especially in tight times, pushing the price higher in a tight economy when their target audioece is not the affuent, but the upper middle class that does not mind spending on status, features and style. Also pushing the price higher depending on what Infiniti does witht he G37 sedan may give more of an edge to Infiniti if they hold their price points. If people were stickly looking for value then the Genisis woudl sell like gang busters as well, it offers way more than any one else at the $40K mark. I drove one and while it does not handle liek a TL or G35, it is packed of features, build quality and style (in the eye of the beholder), but the big hurdle will be "it's a Hyundai" and $40K for a Hyundai is too much. Funny I wnet to see one the week after they released and they all had a $1500 markup on them. I drove one talked to the dealer and they were sticking to their guns for the markup. Fast forward 2 weeks later I get a call from the dealer, that they are willing to deal now.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:03 PM
07 NBP TL-S

I have '07 TL Type S and i think it looks wayyy better than the 4G.

I don't know what they were thinking! lol about ONLY thing i like about the new 4G is the SH-AWD and more HP lol

but then agian, its a gas eater haha. So yeah i hope they dont keep this 4G Design for too long haha (watch they keep it for next 4 years lol *knocks on wood*)
Old 08-24-2008, 07:48 PM
2nd Gear

I drive an 07 Acura TL and I love the design, comfort, and performance. The 4G TL looks like a Nissan Maxima got on steroids and then had plastic surgery to become an Acura and in my opinion it is an abomination to the Acura name. The addition of more horse power is offset by the increased weight. I know I will not get a 4G TL and instead will get the TSX when I get my next car.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
I hate Acura's new grill design.

I think Acura has ruined the look of all their models. The new grill is horrible. I always thought liked the previous TSX and RL grills the best. The grill on the 3rd Gen TL, was the only part of the design I never really cared for and now they have made it worse.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:20 AM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

I chose NO!

Why? Because the design looks atrocious... The front is pointy and the back is pointy... Also kind of looks bulky and unnecessary use of material... I like the 3rd Gen even though I don't own one... it kept with the whole Touring and Luxury aspect acura had in 1996... The second Gen was very sporty IMHO and veered from the luxury a bit.. still their desing didn't venture to off course... The first gen was Sporty and Luxurious... The styling of the three were great IMHO... I like all three generations but this fourth generation of TL... I have to say they veered way off course and entered the "just throw it on" stage... simply put... The styling is ugly and nothing will help...

Some pro's is the interior and features the car provides... but if you don't like how the car looks... if you aren't looking back at your car when walking away from it... it's not worth purchasing IMHO...
Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Best ever

This has to be acura's best car, except is an ugly one....wow!! they miss the mark. The lead designer should be fire. That grill is just horrible. I give it some pointers, the car is nice looking overall, the back is different, bu front....kills the car....Waited 9 years for this...finally SH-AWD, but no 6 speed???
Old 08-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Designer

He should be kill or at least fire!!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L2b_8pcleJ4&color1=6100761&color2=13447451&hl=en&f s=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L2b_8pcleJ4&color1=6100761&color2=13447451&hl=en&f s=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw the writeup in the globe 8/24 and I did not like the design at all. The front was ok, the back was worse, and the interior turned me off.

The price is creeping upwards and the MPG is not improving at all, if anything it is the same or worse. Sure it is great there is more power and SH-AWD. Pricing should be well into the 40s for a higher end model. They are finally offering some power in their V6 engines and even have a 3.7 to match infiniti.

I hope they have resolved the nagging rattle issues since I do not know many people that will tolerate rattles in a car that costs well over 40K. There are so many other choices that you can make in that price range. Sure you might not get ultimate performance but there are better all around cars out there for the price.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's got a Great Personality!!!!

The more I look at the 4G, the more it seems to me that this is the car with a great personality. It's just not all that much to look at. I'm not saying it's BUTT UGLY, but if it were a high school girl, I think it would be more likely to be at a book club meeting than on the sidelines in a cheerleaders outfit.

(No offense to those of you are current or former book club members)
Old 08-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Acura Didn't learn their lesson....

Acura lost major sales when they trashed the 91-95 Legend Coupe and Sedan design for the 96/RL. Now they have trashed the 04-08 TL design for the 09 TL. I don't get the need for auto makers to fix what aint broken.
What they should have done is take the present style, make it 1inch wider, 1 1/2 inches longer, and rear wheel drive. 6 speed auto or manual. Make the base engine the 3.5, and the Type S (in 2010) the 3.7. Make a Type X model with 4wheel drive for the snow folks, and you 've got a winner.
The guy in the video used alot of words to describe the 09/TL, but 'good looking car' never found its way out of his mouth. So I figure by 2010 Acura will be scrambling to get a coupe (RSX replacement or CL replacement) to get sales up.
They need to ask the Acurazine members to design the next TL.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Intermediate

Something I just noticed; the bigger wheels and tires on the AWD model give the car alot more pop than the standard wheel/tire package on the base TL. Wonder how difficult/cost wise a swap might be?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:54 PM
2008 NBP TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was initially attracted to the 3rd generation TL because it blends the old school look of honda (sharp masculine lines), yet still looks up to date. The only thing I don't like about my 3G is the grill. With that being said, I bought the 3G TL because I am older and want something that was comfortable to commute in, has four doors, performed well, and had a bit more space for my family. The 3G TL has all of those features, and it has very sporty looks. I don't feel like an old fart in the car.

Now the 4G has gone in a totally different direction. I believe the 4G has quite a bit more technology integrated into the car to improve performance. I don't doubt that. However the car seems to be bloated, and does not have any of the spice that the 3G had. I think the front view is decent. I could possibly get used to looking at the front of the 4G ONLY if the car was black, with a blacked out grill. However, the profile, and rear view of the car is just not very sexy. The sharp angles are gone, and it seems to have lost its edge. It doesn't seem like a young man's car to me anymore. Not to mention I would not pay 10K more on the price tag for a car that is butt ugly. I don't care how much tech it has. I enjoy the visual as much as the performance. I will hold on to my 08 TL, and hope the 5th gen comes out by the time I need another car.

Now that "designer" on that video sounded like he lost a few too many brain cells, and was stuck on the same vague nondescript words. I have a degree in art, if I saw somebody talking like that during a critique it would be hard to keep from laughing. I would not want to be the one explaining why the car has been ruined through poor design either. It seems the interviewer was politely asking "Why is this car so butt?" In his own professional way.

The bottom line...It is disappointing to see such a product come from Acura, especially the TL line. The new TL pictures should mesmerize us, and compel us to see it in person for its sheer beauty. We shouldn't have to play mind games with ourselves or allow it to "grow" on us.

Last edited by tech14; 08-25-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All right Neuron here is my worth after the "photos" on the Acura website.

BOY did Acura miss the boat on this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are still seriously far behind the competition. Let's start with the front. The grille has got to go! It has got to be the ugliest piece of chromed/brushed plastic out there. Then let's go to the Maxima side profile. AARRGGHH! The wheels look like Walmart hired the designers for them. To the rear- ! The only bright spot on an underpowered rear chaser. The only other positive is the dash- but I will save the criticism till I see that in person. Now about the wheels- 17" still stock?????????? And 18/19 optional? Aftermarket will have a better selection. Why no Brembos for stock? Last but not least- the engine! Acura is SOOOOOOO far behind everyone else in the HP market, that it is just hard to believe what with the awesome race program they have. Increase the size of the motor to 3.7 liters, and still only pull 305 HP? Acura is a good 40-50 HP behind. Too bad I will look at the Infinti and Lexus line-up come 2010, unless Acura wakes up and delivers a knock-out punch without depending on the new NSX to do it.

Just so depressing to see the 4G! Time to spend more money on my black beauty!!

PEACE!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:15 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
[QUOTE=boiko;9273266]You want to blame somebody..here he is. Watch this video and tell me what..YOU think.

OK....here is the guy that took one of the best looking cars on the road (designed and built in Ohio) and redesigned it "at our new fantastic studio in Torrance California"???...using Acura's new "Keen-Edged Dynamic" design ..????

- The design in the back just doesn't flow
- What's up with that rear deck spoiler??
- Looks like rear lights just stuck on the rear bumper
- The front carries the new Acura corporate design symbol to an almost comic/size level.

To me, he sounds more like a marketing guy....then a designer. There is something really wrong here. He says things like.."this has not been done before.." Why did they OK this design? I drive an 06 TL and was thinking about getting a new one when they came out...but now. As someone said, it's almost like Acura's version of the Pontiac Astek.

I would love to know what the previous TL designers think of this new gen TL.

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2b_8pcleJ4

-mike-[/QUOTE

It's all becoming very clear if this guy is the designer no wonder Acura is going in the wrong direction design wise. Fire Art Osbourne
Old 08-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Advanced

I disagree with your assessment. Look at the Porsche 911, they continually refine the car, not totally change the design. BMW ruined all their designs with Bangle designs and now Acura has followed suit. The new grill which is suppose to distinguish Acura's looks very similar to what I have seen on some Saturns. The grill is the only part really dislike. Perhaps that will change over time, but to me it looks tacky.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 08-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 04RedParchTL
I disagree with your assessment. Look at the Porsche 911, they continually refine the car, not totally change the design. BMW ruined all their designs with Bangle designs and now Acura has followed suit. The new grill which is suppose to distinguish Acura's looks very similar to what I have seen on some Saturns. The grill is the only part really dislike. Perhaps that will change over time, but to me it looks tacky.
Say what you want about BMW's bangle look, but those motherfuckers are selling.

Last edited by Ac Man; 08-25-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Old 08-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
love it
Old 08-26-2008, 03:18 PM
08' TL NBP w/Navi

09 tl

Hi All-

First post.

I had been holding off on buying an 08 TL until I saw images of the 09. I saw some spyshots first in like April or May which looked ok, but then some more leaked and I decided I had better get the 08. So glad I did- I love the car inside & out.

What was Honda thinking? It is one ugly, confused looking car if I have ever seen one-
Old 08-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Pro

If I had the facilities/know how I'd be making some custom grilles for this thing and making some big bucks.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:40 PM
04 Abyss Nav, 07 KBP TL-S

I just saw the 4G pictures on Acura's site. Yuck! I will be keeping my 07 TL-S, thank you very much. I am very disappointed with the design direction this vehicle took, and hope that it will once again be a beautiful car for the 5th gen. The new Maxima went back to it's less shapely grill, and it now has the same presence it commanded in the late 90s. Acura should have gone for less evolutionary styling, and focused more on safety and comfort.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Advanced

Say what you want about BMW's bangle look, but those motherfuckers are selling.
That is true, they are selling probably just based on performance and status of the car. For me I have to like the entire package, looks, performance, technology etc.

Of course this thread is all about people's personal preferences.

There are many cars that come out that I initially don't like and eventually do. But the ones that I like right away are usually a timeless design.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Banned

As my username implies, I've owned three TLs (2000, 2004, 2005). I was hoping to pick up a new AWD TL this year or next. That won't be happening now. If the designers refuse to perform the seppuku ritual they should all be moved to the lawnmower division where they can design all the hideous noses and tails they want and no one will care.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cbusAcuracls
If I had the facilities/know how I'd be making some custom grilles for this thing and making some big bucks.

They won't sell enough for you to make any money on new grills.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:39 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3rdTL
If the designers refuse to perform the seppuku ritual they should all be moved to the lawnmower division where they can design all the hideous noses and tails they want and no one will care.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Intermediate

was hoping to trade my 05 in on an 09, but not now what an ugly car, boggles the mind... Infiniti or Audi here I come
Old 08-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Intermediate

Unbelievable how Honda/Acura has not just fallen asleep at the wheel but off the deep end.. First they come out with the new Accord, which looks like every design of the past 10 years was glued onto it, with no flow of continuity. Now this botched up TL. So much chrome or aluminum it looks more like a boom box. I think they have decided to build cars that sell in the hood... tacky, shiny pimpmobiles in all sizes. And from the side it trys to be a cross between a Camry, Altima and new Maxima. Gen 3 TL was sporty with class, Gen 4 looks so cartoonish it will look tired and old in no time. HORRIBLE!!!

Quick Reply: Do you like the exterior design of the 4G TL?