Do TL back seats fold?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do TL back seats fold?

I'd like to transport a glass coffee table, wondering how to fold the back seats on TL?
Thanks!!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:46 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
if you're wondering and cant seem to fold the back seats....then i'm going to venture in and say that they(like the 3G) CANNOT fold down.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Back at it with the TL SH

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
The TL seats don't fold down. Either the 2009-2011 and the same goes for the 2012 model. I have the 2012 so i speak from experience.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:53 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
which stems from the 3G TL.
How do you like your new 4G, mr. skytech?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy

I'm really wondering why Honda/Acura doesn't provide the basic 60/40 folding seats like most cars. The new accords have this problem as well. So instead of folding seats we have a tiny little panel that opens in the middle.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Rowing my own

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It really has to do with side impact crash ratings.

With a 60/40 split, it's much harder to achieve top crash scores has you have to give up some of that structural rigidity. With the simple pass-through you can maintain most of the body's strength without adding a bunch of weight to the roof and b pillars.

That being said, there are plenty of 5 star rated sedans that have split seats, maybe honda/acura just haven't engineered a way to do it without giving up something else they feel is more important.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:20 AM
-Brian

Received 241 Likes on 167 Posts
i rather have folding seats then 5 star lol
Old 06-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Back at it with the TL SH

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I love my 4G the color is not what i am use to but those idiots messed up the silver.

If they would have kept it the same for this year it would have been even better.

Its the first time in a long time that i am driving a brand new car so its all good. I want to keep it clean so now is a good time to wax and seal it. keep that dark shiny color!

I got in grey but it looks so cool at night. Very evil looking. I do want to change the wheels on it to the 18" SHAWD of 2011 not the 2012.

The 2012 18" wheels look very plain.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nexson
i rather have folding seats then 5 star lol
No kidding. I mean the trunk space is already a joke and to top it off they don't let you fold the seats down. I've never seen a car this big have such a small trunk. This is a huge beef I have with this car after owning it.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They unfortunately don't fold.

I came from an 06 civic and was shocked when I found out a significantly larger and more expensive car didn't do the same things my civic did, just a few for example:
-Trunk is about the same size as my civic
-No folding rear seats
-No flat rear floor
-Rear seat not fit for 3 people (the civic had a bump, but was relatively flat and comfortable)
-About the same sized arm rest storage area
-No sliding arm rest, instead, fixed arm rest with awkward "U" shape and sliding tray that does not have a pass through inside the tray. So instead of looking nice n clean, there needs to be a wire coming under the arm rest outside to the hidding sliding tray.. talk about awkward. Lucky i'm using either bluetooth or usb though.
-Less useful door map pockets. With the civic, i fit 4-5 500ml costco water bottles on each side, with the TL, i fit only 1 on each side, then only small papers. To go menus etc
-Change pocket is in the center instead of near the door like it should be and has been on my previous hondas. Because it is in front of the shifter, it is more difficult to get to. It's much more logical to have it near the driver side window area under the dash/steering wheel where my left hand can easily reach

I understand there is more sound deadening and the crash test ratings are better.. but is that really the cause for the TL being so un-ergonomic? or did they simply not think things through?

Last edited by jasonwdp10; 06-21-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
They unfortunately don't fold.

I came from an 06 civic and was shocked when I found out a significantly larger and more expensive car didn't do the same things my civic did, just a few for example:
-Trunk is about the same size as my civic
-No folding rear seats
-No flat rear floor
-Rear seat not fit for 3 people (the civic had a bump, but was relatively flat and comfortable)
-About the same sized arm rest storage area
-No sliding arm rest, instead, fixed arm rest with awkward "U" shape and sliding tray that does not have a pass through inside the tray. So instead of looking nice n clean, there needs to be a wire coming under the arm rest outside to the hidding sliding tray.. talk about awkward. Lucky i'm using either bluetooth or usb though.
-Less useful door map pockets. With the civic, i fit 4-5 500ml costco water bottles on each side, with the TL, i fit non, only small papers. To go menus etc
-Change pocket is in the center instead of near the door like it should be and has been on my previous hondas. Because it is in front of the shifter, it is more difficult to get to. It's much more logical to have it near the driver side window area under the dash/steering wheel where my left hand can easily reach

I understand there is more sound deadening and the crash test ratings are better.. but is that really the cause for the TL being so un-ergonomic? or did they simply not think things through?
The glove compartment is really small too.

My old 08 civic had a massive center console in comparison.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
You can however, fit 10 foot boards from the trunk to the front of the vehicle through the passthrough. I was even able to haul some 8 foot crown moulding pieces diagonally in the cabin from passenger door pillar to driver side rear glass.

The trunk really isn't that bad. Ever look at a 3 series trunk?
Old 06-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
You can however, fit 10 foot boards from the trunk to the front of the vehicle through the passthrough. I was even able to haul some 8 foot crown moulding pieces diagonally in the cabin from passenger door pillar to driver side rear glass.

Unfortunately not everything I come across in life is long and skinny.

I generally don't even try the TL anymore when I need to move things. luckily I have a FX35. If it wasn't for that car I'd probably be an ex. TL owner by now.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Banned

For it's size (midsize) the TL has pretty poor cargo spaces in the trunk. Here are some for comparison (in cu. ft.):
Mazda 6 16.6
Hyundai sonata 16.4
MB E350 15.9
Audi A6 15.9
Chevrolet Cruze 15.4
Nissan Altima 15.3
Lexus GS350 15.2
Infiniti M37 14.9
Lexus ES350 14.7
Nissan Sentra 14.5
Toyota Camry 14.5
Accord sedan 14
BMW 5 series 14
TSX 14
G37 sedan 13.5
Lexus IS350 RWD or AWD 13.3
Ford Focus SEL 13.2
RL 13.1
TL Base 13.1
Hyundai Elantra 12.8
TL SHAWD 12.5
MB C350 12.4
Toyota Corolla 12.3
Civic sedan (8th gen, 2006-2011) 12
A4 2.0 quattro 12
bmw 3 series sedan 12
Mazda 3 4 door 11.8
Civic sedan (9th gen, 2012+) 11.7

As you can clearly see here, the TL is a midsized car with a compact car sized trunk area AND no folding rear seats. Sad to say the least, and yes it is THAT BAD.

Last edited by jasonwdp10; 06-21-2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added A4 2.0 quattro, g37 journey sedan, M37, c350, nissan altima, toyota camry, hyundai sonata. mazda6, bolded midsized cars
Old 06-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Banned

I don't want to edit again, but I think you get my point. The TL is too inefficient for it's size. People always claim that it should compete in the midsize segment, but it can barely hold its own (in ergonomics and cargo spaces) against its own accord and civic siblings, much less other vehicles in it's size class.

Its trunk capacity is at the bottom of the midsize list and barely midpack when compared to compacts, which is again, sad. Oh and the seats don't fold. I guess you can still carry 8-10ft toothpick moldings though.

No wonder I had trouble fitting those large pieces of luggage during my last trip.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I don't want to edit again, but I think you get my point. The TL is too inefficient for it's size. People always claim that it should compete in the midsize segment, but it can barely hold its own (in ergonomics and cargo spaces) against its own accord and civic siblings, much less other vehicles in it's size class.

Its trunk capacity is at the bottom of the midsize list and barely midpack when compared to compacts, which is again, sad. Oh and the seats don't fold. I guess you can still carry 8-10ft toothpick moldings though.

No wonder I had trouble fitting those large pieces of luggage during my last trip.
This is why you need a 2nd car. I have an RDX for all those hauling issues.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
My truck takes care of the big items nicely
Old 06-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
This is why you need a 2nd car. I have an RDX for all those hauling issues.
haha yea i know. I use my parents van for any larger hauling.

I was just venting a bit because our midsize TL is so inefficient in using space. I was mainly disappointed because when going from my civic to my TL, seat width and 2-3 inches of rear knee room aside, I didn't feel that I got a lot more room, but the TL itself is significantly larger than the civic on the outside. Strange that's all.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
they dont fold. so buy a civic
Old 06-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Do you want the TL to be heavier? Do you want to get rid of that sloping back roof line and coupe-esque rear quarter? It certainly wouldn't kill it to have more cargo space from a practicality standpoint, though I've never encountered an issue where I couldn't move something sensible with the trunk and/or a blanket over the back seat. You want that other 2 feet of cargo space, buy an Accord.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
One of the reasons we went with the ZDX instead of the TL

TL
Cargo Volume, cu ft 13.1: TL12.5: TL SH-AWD

ZDX
Cargo Volume, cu ft 27.5: 2nd-row up
57.3: 2nd-row down
Old 06-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
they dont fold. so buy a civic
Do you want the TL to be heavier? Do you want to get rid of that sloping back roof line and coupe-esque rear quarter? It certainly wouldn't kill it to have more cargo space from a practicality standpoint, though I've never encountered an issue where I couldn't move something sensible with the trunk and/or a blanket over the back seat. You want that other 2 feet of cargo space, buy an Accord.
mature responses all around
Old 06-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=terdonal;13040236]One of the reasons we went with the ZDX instead of the TL

So you're the one.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
For it's size (midsize) the TL has pretty poor cargo spaces in the trunk.

As you can clearly see here, the TL is a midsized car with a compact car sized trunk area AND no folding rear seats. Sad to say the least, and yes it is THAT BAD.
I get the underlying theme here but I have to point out that those are not all EPA based numbers. Most brands are notorious for exaggerating these figures. Acura publishes it's data from what the EPA obtains. I think it's only fair to use EPA figures all around. I added passenger volume because it's relevent, used vehicles in it's competitive set, and made EPA corrections for those underlined.

CTS 16 - 98
Buick LaCrosse 16 - 100
Audi A6 15.9 - 96.2 (2012)
Infiniti M37 14.9 - 104
Lexus ES350 14.7 - 95
Nissan Maxima 14.2 - 96
BMW 5 series 14 - 100.5
STS 14 - 102
MB E350 14 - 97
G37 sedan 13.5 - 96.5
RL 13.1 - 99.1
TL Base 13.1 - 98.2
Lexus GS 13 - 98
VW CC 13 - 96.3
TSX 14 - 94.5
TL SH 12.5 - 94.5
MB C class 12 - 88
A4/S4 quattro 12 - 91
BMW 3 series sedan 12 - 93
Lexus IS350 11 - 88

Although I know what is meant by it, I don't think that there really is such a thing as a mid size with a compact trunk. Mid size and compact are determined by BOTH passenger and cargo volume, they are not exclusive and trunk volumes don't have any seperate standards in determining the size rank.

If the TL has a smaller trunk than other mid size sedans, it's because in many cases it offers larger passenger volume instead. This is the usual correlation. You can have 107 cu ft of passenger volume (like many full size cars) and a 4 ft trunk, or 92 cu ft of passenger volume (like many compacts) but have 19 ft of trunk space and both are still mid size.

According to the EPA, the TL has more passenger volume than the listed and non listed compacts (obviously enough), the Lexus GS, current and upcoming A6, E class, CTS, and Maxima. Also more than an ES and CC which fall a few inches short of actually being mid sized and we can include the G37 w/sunroof which is the lowest possible interior volume you can have and still be classed as mid sized. Those are what I would call barely mid sized, not necessarily the TL as it has a decent amount of space over the mid size minimum mark.

The TL by way of volume is not a large mid size, similar to many other mid size sedans that are viewed as both entry or mid level sedans, in terms of luxury. It is on the smaller mid size end no doubt, but I don't see how that is relevent to competing as a mid size sedan. I'm not exactly sure if it was mentioned in this thread but this argument is often brought up when these types of things are discussed.

The TL has a total interior volume of 110.7 (cu ft) for the SH and 111.3 for the FWD while the GS and E class both have 111. By comparison the new A6 has 112 and the Maxima has 110.2 cu ft. So it's pretty average for the smaller mid size sedan. The TL is Acura's mid level sedan and it is mid sized but it doesn't mean it's a true mid level competitor but that has nothing to do with this topic and it is still a mid size luxury sedan nontheless. It does have a bit of an unusually long and wide exterior for it's wheelbase and interior volume. It is not incorrect in saying the car is disproportionately larger outside than it is inside, including the trunk but that is different than saying it is barely mid sized or it has a compact trunk.

The wheelbase generally dictates the volume, not the bumpers or the sheet metal. It's width is due to it's track, which is pretty wide even for a mid, but it does make for exceptional handling, and it's long as a result of it's design and attempt at balancing the rear proportion to the front proportion, as it has a large front overhang being FWD and/or FWD based. There is a method to the madness afterall but I wouldn't disagree that it doesn't change anything but there is the good and the bad in everything.

The only legitimate gripes against the TL when it comes to this topic IMO are the lack of folding seats (or option) and that the trunk floor is not flat on the SH because they are almost entirely exclusive to the TL, especially in combination. The arguments that it's barely a mid size and the rear middle seat is uncomfortable are irrelevent because they are nowhere near exclusive to the TL as a mid size sedan. In the case of the split/fold, despite the unpopularity of not having it, there are a few advantages it presents in lieu of extended storage.

We also have to consider that the TL is not positioned as the largest mid size Acura sedan. It is not much bigger but the RL has to maintain some distinction and unfortunately it comes at the expense of the TL. It sucks, I agree but it is what it is. Until next gen, where hopefully Acura doesn't have two mid size sedans, they won't have to hold back any interior dimensions or volumes for this purpose.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 06-22-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I have to add that some of these figures may not be 100% accurate. I am not making excuses but it's amazing how inconsistent these measurements can be. The TSX should be listed as 12.6, that was a typo. The ES has also shown 14.8 and a rounded 15, not much difference but a difference, not sure which one is the EPA's anymore.

The IS might also be 13 for the RWD and 13.3 for the AWD, according to Lexus, I can't find a direct EPA source only ones that say EPA but are questionable. The E class has a few sources as 14, some of them listed as EPA, others at 15.9 and rounded to 16 from MB. I'm sure what all the conflict is about, maybe the numbers are not as reliable as I thought. Sure makes it difficult to accurately determine how these things relate.

Anyway, I guess my point remains. As others have pointed out, the TL is disproportionately off with regards to interior volume and capacities to exterior dimensions but I think it's mid sized enough to be considerded a mid size without question despite it's cargo limitations. No doubt it can and probably should be better, although they have their reasons, but I don't think that is grounds to question it's size classification when it's passenger volume is still larger than other mid size sedans, many of which are not questioned as being mid sized sedans and even mid level luxury sedans.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 06-22-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
[QUOTE=Pseudomaniac;13040386]
Originally Posted by terdonal
One of the reasons we went with the ZDX instead of the TL

So you're the one.
Yup, I'm the one

Old 06-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
You guys go to great extremes to say "No", the seats don't fold down.....
The following users liked this post:
kev08wdp (07-06-2014)
Old 06-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
The sad thing is that the seats fold in the new Accord which share the same platform with the TL.
It was the first thing I did check with my neighbour's Accord.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by saturno_v
The sad thing is that the seats fold in the new Accord which share the same platform with the TL.
It was the first thing I did check with my neighbour's Accord.

The whole thing folds down right? It's not a 60/40 split? The 2008 and 2009s didn't have this feature. They had the same pass through as the TL. This was something I wasn't fond of with our old 2008 Accord EXL V6. Little did I know I ended up with the same problem moving to the TL.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
[quote=terdonal;13042847]

Yup, I'm the one

i do like how the muffler intergrates with the bumper. looks so clean.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:30 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by 2010_Type_SH
The whole thing folds down right? It's not a 60/40 split? The 2008 and 2009s didn't have this feature. They had the same pass through as the TL. This was something I wasn't fond of with our old 2008 Accord EXL V6. Little did I know I ended up with the same problem moving to the TL.
My parents had been driving a 1996 or 1997 TL for the past 14-15 years and were in the market for a new car. I talked them into the Honda Accord EX V6 (I think they're practically giving these Accords away). From what I recall, the back seat fold-down is one-piece, not 60/40. I was just there earlier today and could've checked had I seen this.