Do any of you like your TL to be quiet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Do any of you like your TL to be quiet?

There are so many threads about exhaust and sounds. And even I thought about it much more than I should. Not to mention lowering it too.

Stepping back and think. Wasn't having a quiet, smooth, and refine car the reason why I got a TL? And the handling is already kick-a$$ right out of the OEM box, right?

How about you?

Anyone here with no interest in modifying the car to make more noise or ride less smooth?
Old 03-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
i like my car quiet, but i like a deep tone when i get on it ... im with you on a smooth ride though
Old 03-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would truly like Lexus-level silence.

You didn't ask this, but I wish the SH-AWD ride was a little closer to the base model's.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
From one of the reviews, it said additional sound deadening was added to both models for 2012. I have a feeling that the Base model is quieter, and the SHAWD is as quiet as the base now (09-11).

I'll test drive it when it does come out. If that is the case, it will weigh more in favor of me trading up.

As for modding the cars to be quieter. I used to install sound deadening, but then I realized that acura/honda is slowly adding more and more sound deadening every year.

I think repeat complaints from their customers about why their cars are so noisy are changing their outlook. Lexus makes VERY quiet cars, and mb, lexus, and audi all deaden road noise better than acura. With infiniti being kind of mixed (good sound deadening but loud engines and overly firm suspension), and bmw's also depend heavily on model. For example, my friends 328 is pretty noisy compared to my base TL.

I don't feel like taking my 37k+ luxury car to try n make it quieter, eventually i'll trade up, and I hope acura has continued to improve their sound deadening.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Cruisin'

Agreed....I really like having a smooth and quiet ride. I feel that Honda, in general, has the best balance amongst automakers. Toyota has the softest and quietest ride but at the expense of handling.

All that said I love the dual personality of the Acura and if they were able to make it even quieter now than even better!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
i only care about quite when im cruising but when i punch it i gotta hear some engine growl...it's only right ..but def wont be adding anything to make my exhaust louder i did that back in the day ..
Old 03-09-2011, 06:05 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
From one of the reviews, it said additional sound deadening was added to both models for 2012. I have a feeling that the Base model is quieter, and the SHAWD is as quiet as the base now (09-11).....
I thought I heard/read somewhere 3dB quieter (which is a pretty good drop) for 2012.

Last edited by Bearcat94; 03-09-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I thought I heard/read somewhere 3dB quieter (which is a pretty good drop) for 2012.
That is good news. I like quiet rides so I can hear music. I have tinitus and background sounds make me crazy. I added a cat-back to my truck. It sounds baddass when I get on it but still louder at cruising speed than I'd like.

3db quieter.. Wooo, another +++ for the '12 also more fuel for the haters claiming only old ladies will drive the TL.. yeah, right... as if they don't already!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:47 PM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
thats weird that you guys didnt pick a different automaker as Hondas has always been this way.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I like it quiet inside the cabin, but I still like the sound of the exhaust when i step outside of the car.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:48 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
From one of the reviews, it said additional sound deadening was added to both models for 2012. I have a feeling that the Base model is quieter, and the SHAWD is as quiet as the base now (09-11).

I'll test drive it when it does come out. If that is the case, it will weigh more in favor of me trading up.

As for modding the cars to be quieter. I used to install sound deadening, but then I realized that acura/honda is slowly adding more and more sound deadening every year.

I think repeat complaints from their customers about why their cars are so noisy are changing their outlook. Lexus makes VERY quiet cars, and mb, lexus, and audi all deaden road noise better than acura. With infiniti being kind of mixed (good sound deadening but loud engines and overly firm suspension), and bmw's also depend heavily on model. For example, my friends 328 is pretty noisy compared to my base TL.

I don't feel like taking my 37k+ luxury car to try n make it quieter, eventually i'll trade up, and I hope acura has continued to improve their sound deadening.

and all that adds weight and price to the car, and also hurts performance and MPG too)

also you say AUDI being quiet, just tidbit of info,...
but did you know the A-pillars are foam-filled (first noticed it on like a 2002 A4 or something like that), which if used other places will cut down on alot of noise
Old 03-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by friesm2000
and all that adds weight and price to the car, and also hurts performance and MPG too)

also you say AUDI being quiet, just tidbit of info,...
but did you know the A-pillars are foam-filled (first noticed it on like a 2002 A4 or something like that), which if used other places will cut down on alot of noise
My gf's 2008 A5 is quieter in almost all situations over my 2010 Base TL, except for 2:
#1 wind noise over 70mph
#2 sound deadening over large bumps/potholes

in ALL other situations, it's quieter than my TL. So I don't know about past audis, but my current experience with them says they're pretty quiet.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:15 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
I had a 2009 Lexus IS 250 AWD I traded in at 4,000 miles for the TL b/c the car became so dam painful to drive (among other things I hated about the IS).

One of the gripes about the IS was it was TOO QUIET. At first I though it was nice to have a quiet car. But over time the car was so quiet it became nauseating; I would drive and watch the world go by me. No connection at all to the road and outside world. Eerie and wierd. Not a good thing.

Funny my wife has a 05 RX330 she loves to death; the IS I noticed was even quieter than her RX (probably b/c the RX is 6 years old now and has gotten nosier over time).

For me the TL's noise level is just right. Could be a tad quieter at freeway speeds, but I can't complain. I need to feel some level of connection to the road, and aural input is one part not frequently mentioned.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Instructor

I think noise suppression = refinement = luxury (smart or not smart kind of luxury) and Acura is really near the bottom of pack in this department. I don't think they need to sacrifice engine sounds/road feel to deaden some of the road noise levels. Honda used to be able get away with it but I think the competition has pretty much all passed them by. I'm gad they've finally noticed that it's not that big of cost factor, why give people a chance to say your "luxury" car is too noisy?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To me, this should be defined in real-world terms. I've been in tons of "normal" and budget cars where the noise inside the vehicle at a normal cruising speed with no music playing was such that passengers could not carry on a conversation over all the noise.

I don't have that problem in the TL. And most of the time, I have music playing and that is the ONLY thing I hear. I consider that good enough for me.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by normallywho
To me, this should be defined in real-world terms. I've been in tons of "normal" and budget cars where the noise inside the vehicle at a normal cruising speed with no music playing was such that passengers could not carry on a conversation over all the noise.

I don't have that problem in the TL. And most of the time, I have music playing and that is the ONLY thing I hear. I consider that good enough for me.
I'm with you... when you are listening to music 95% of the time and relatively the cabin is quiet enough... that should be sufficient... after that, then you just finger effin' this whole "quiet" subject...
Old 03-10-2011, 02:02 PM
B A N N E D

My gf's 2008 A5 is quieter in almost all situations over my 2010 Base TL, except for 2:
#1 wind noise over 70mph
#2 sound deadening over large bumps/potholes

in ALL other situations, it's quieter than my TL. So I don't know about past audis, but my current experience with them says they're pretty quiet.
never said the TL was quieter then an AUDI, just that AUDI likes to foam-fill the pillars, whih helps make it quieter

and as far as #2, i bet she also has a larger rim too, compared to the TL (or at least a shorter tire sidewall), which is not going to help that the large bump noises
Old 03-10-2011, 02:54 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I personally do not Lexus quiet. My mother-in-law had 2 Lexus cars and my brother-in-law has a Lexus SUV. I've driven them all and yes it's a nice quiet ride, but not one that I would like to drive every day.
I like to feel the road when I am driving. Even when I had the Maximas, I would always order the SE model with the stiffer suspension because of the sportier ride.
I also think that AWD vehicles tend to give a stiffer ride in general over a FWD automobile.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Advanced

Wow...I did not know there were some many sensitive inividuals on this forum. I never saw so many people complain about any litlle thing.

I have had 3 Acura's and before that Honda's and I can tell you that I have no issues with the sound and ride of any of the Acura's, including my 2011 SH-AWD. I would be lying if i said the then AWD was not dirferent but it is not noisy even with he radio off.if you want something you can't hear and feel go buy a Buick

BTW - If you don't like your car sell it....so you can have something new to not like.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:58 PM
9th Gear

Also, with the 2012 version they have a six speed auto tranny which will help mpg and quickness. Upgraded HDD to 60 gig, front beak a little less pronounced, tail lights changed, sound deadening material added, 19 inch all seasons added.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Banned

never said the TL was quieter then an AUDI, just that AUDI likes to foam-fill the pillars, whih helps make it quieter

and as far as #2, i bet she also has a larger rim too, compared to the TL (or at least a shorter tire sidewall), which is not going to help that the large bump noises
You're right! I think the A5 is on 19"s or 20"s (Not sure but they look a lot larger than my base 17"s

sorry for use of caps, should have italicized or underlined instead :X
Old 03-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hondo164
Wow...I did not know there were some many sensitive inividuals on this forum. I never saw so many people complain about any litlle thing.

I have had 3 Acura's and before that Honda's and I can tell you that I have no issues with the sound and ride of any of the Acura's, including my 2011 SH-AWD. I would be lying if i said the then AWD was not dirferent but it is not noisy even with he radio off.if you want something you can't hear and feel go buy a Buick

BTW - If you don't like your car sell it....so you can have something new to not like.
The funny thing is that year after year the newer acuras and hondas have been consistently updated to be quieter than the old ones. That's because their customers have been complaining! The FACT that acura just quieted the TL down another 3db is proof that they haven't found their sweet spot yet, and are still adding more sound insulation. The TL is a luxury car after all right? I don't consider road noise to be a luxury.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Advanced

Talking

The funny thing is that year after year the newer acuras and hondas have been consistently updated to be quieter than the old ones. That's because their customers have been complaining! The FACT that acura just quieted the TL down another 3db is proof that they haven't found their sweet spot yet, and are still adding more sound insulation. The TL is a luxury car after all right? I don't consider road noise to be a luxury.
To each there own..I don't consider the car or Acuras to have road noise but well if you have a dog he will be happy
Old 03-10-2011, 11:08 PM
B A N N E D

You're right! I think the A5 is on 19"s or 20"s (Not sure but they look a lot larger than my base 17"s

sorry for use of caps, should have italicized or underlined instead :X
brand new a5's are on 18's

245/40R 18's to be exact on the base rims, so not a whole lot of sidewall to begin with (still a bit compared to some though

and no worries
Old 03-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Instructor

To be clear, I'm not saying the TL is too noisey, just not as quiet as relevant competitors.

Another point is while we can try to defend Honda's wimpy noise suppression as key to its handling/ride feel, there are plenty of cars that are considered quieter with good handling characteristics such as some BMW, Audi, and MB's.

For example, the 2012 TL is supposed to be 3db quieter due to improved weather stripping and expanded use of foam in pillars. I don't see how this will alter handling that much.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:00 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by ll_22
To be clear, I'm not saying the TL is too noisey, just not as quiet as relevant competitors.

Another point is while we can try to defend Honda's wimpy noise suppression as key to its handling/ride feel, there are plenty of cars that are considered quieter with good handling characteristics such as some BMW, Audi, and MB's.

For example, the 2012 TL is supposed to be 3db quieter due to improved weather stripping and expanded use of foam in pillars. I don't see how this will alter handling that much.
added WEIGHT, it may not be much, but it does add up though with enough of it

BUT if they are using foam in the pillars, it CAN ACTUALLY HELP the handling some, by actually making the car stiffer (yes foam does have stuctual properties to it, especially the denser it is, but the heavier it is though)
Old 03-11-2011, 01:05 AM
Instructor

added WEIGHT, it may not be much, but it does add up though with enough of it

BUT if they are using foam in the pillars, it CAN ACTUALLY HELP the handling some, by actually making the car stiffer (yes foam does have stuctual properties to it, especially the denser it is, but the heavier it is though)
Of course, but it's not like they have the lightest cars in the class by any means and I doubt we're talking hundreds of pounds looking weights of competing vehicles with better noise suppression. I think it's simply an area of weakness they thought they didn't need to address but I think times have changed judging by who's moving their inventories these days for luxury brands.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i tend to get a little nauseated when cars are too quiet; our Lexus 350.
one of the biggest complaints i have about my infiniti g37 is the engine note at higher revs. this is a little odd to say, but i honestly miss the sound of vtec after 4,000 rpms.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Instructor

Red face Road noise

One reason all us Acura/Honda owners have dealt with this road noise though the years, is that these cars were engineered and built to achieve higher mileage than the competition. Thus, you don't have a lot of the extra sound-deadening material (weight) added to the vehicle.
I for one, have at times, considered purchasing a domestic vehicle for that purpose (Lacross), but after looking at all the positives vs. negatives ...... I always come back to the Acura/Honda road noise .....
Although, the main reason I moved up to the TL, was the quieter ride, when compared to my 08 TSX.

And, I also observed that ... on a smoothly paved road, or black-top, the road noise is not noticeable. So, the pavement surface also enters into this equation...
Old 03-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I don't mind hearing a growl throaty gorown as I lean into the pedal, but other than that want quiet, esocially road noise, my M37S has Potenza RE050 and has active noise cancellation and road noise is horrible.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:12 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by ll_22
Of course, but it's not like they have the lightest cars in the class by any means and I doubt we're talking hundreds of pounds looking weights of competing vehicles with better noise suppression. I think it's simply an area of weakness they thought they didn't need to address but I think times have changed judging by who's moving their inventories these days for luxury brands.
as others have said kinda, additional weight kills gas mileage, and Honda/Acura is usually towards the top of their game on that though, which with a lighter car can help (also slightly thinner sheet metal can help too for weight savings, but you lose some of it's ability to surpass noise by itself though)
Old 03-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Eli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
as others have said kinda, additional weight kills gas mileage, and Honda/Acura is usually towards the top of their game on that though, which with a lighter car can help (also slightly thinner sheet metal can help too for weight savings, but you lose some of it's ability to surpass noise by itself though)
The 2012 TL is supposed to have improved noise suppression (3 db improvement in road noise), and the mileage is improved over the outgoing model so I think they're going in the right direction.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:55 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I don't mind hearing a growl throaty gorown as I lean into the pedal, but other than that want quiet, esocially road noise, my M37S has Potenza RE050 and has active noise cancellation and road noise is horrible.
From past experience I think that's pretty much a Nissan/Infiniti trait.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
I find my 2011 TL to be pleasantly quiet. I've been surprised over the few posts that have commented that the TL is not very quiet. Perhaps its the fact that my last car was a 2006 Toyota Solara convertible and going to a sedan, which by nature, has more sound deadening. Actually, I thought my Toyota was pretty quiet for a convertible. I do think my TL is more quiet than my 2001 Acura CL was.