DIY: My $10 fog lens replacement repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 05:44 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
DIY: My $10 fog lens replacement repair

Unfortunately, my passenger side fog light shattered before I had a chance to put Lamin-X film on to protect the glass. I found about the breakage before water had chance to infiltrate and short out HID system and/or corroding the silver reflective part of the fog.

There are dozens of various owner forums for replacing glass OEM lens with Lexan, etc. so feel free to Google away, including our own Acurazine.

Please refer to:

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...gen-tl-863117/

for accessing fog light housing.

Only two Phillips screws are holding the fog light housing in place, but space is tight so use short, stubby screwdriver to loosen the screws.

Use gloves and a screwdriver (or any tool of your choice) to clean off most of the leftover glass and adhesive holding the glass in place. You might want to use heat gun or hair dryer to make the adhesive more pliable.

I cleaned the water stain with microfiber rag and it's all good.

I had some plexiglass left over from other projects and decided to give that a try. All my power tools are tied up in the garage due to basement reno so I only had access to hand tools. I ended up using tin snip to cut the plastic to size.

Once proper size has been chopped away, fill the edge with generous amount of silicone. I used indoor/outdoor type I had on hand.

Put the replacement lens and fill the side with more silicone to secure and let dry. If I had OCD, I would have trimmed the lens better, but good enough for me. Once the housing goes back into the car, you won't see irregular shapes anyway.

I let it cure about 12 hours before re-installing in the car. However, I didn't drive it in wet condition for at least 24 hours to allow the silicone to cure fully.

I put Lamin-X film to prevent hazing, pitting, and give it a layer of UV protection. Ignore less than 100% clarity as those will eventually clear up from the heat from the lamp.

After using this plexi-glass for a couple of days, I noticed the lens started to deform from the heat so I ended up using Lexan from Home Depot and repeated the project.
The Lexan I had on hand was for previous 2nd gen TL that had cracked fog lens, but didn't get to replacing it before the car got written off.

You might be able to get different variations of Lexan (ie. with UV coating on one side), but this type was only one carried at my local HD. I used tin snip to cut away Lexan and it was no problem.

The final result.

I drove around with fogs on for a couple of hours today and no condensation, melting, bubbling noted. Hopefully, this is a long-term fix and if this fails, my next option would be getting

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...type-s-915221/

or using glass, instead of plastic, to replace the lens.

One thing to note is that OEM glass lense is slightly curved, whereas this DIY will be flat. However, unless you are looking right at it up close, you can't see any difference.

From what I've heard, HID should run at lower temperature than OEM halogens, so I will report back later if I see any changes with bubbling/melting Lexan.

Cost of silicone $3 and Lexan $7 for the sheet.

Last edited by vtec260; 03-21-2015 at 05:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
korrupt3dazn (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 02:40 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
its not a long term fix.. there is a reason why it was made with glass.. so it does not melt..

id give you a month before that thing melts then your bulb is exposed to water and short your entire car..

sometimes its just better to replace
Old 03-22-2015, 07:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vtec260
Unfortunately, my passenger side fog light shattered before I had a chance to put Lamin-X film on to protect the glass. I found about the breakage before water had chance to infiltrate and short out HID system and/or corroding the silver reflective part of the fog.
Looks good, thanks for the post. I did same mod in my 7th Gen accord when the fog light cracked. Ran it for years with no issues and running 35watt HID. Lexan can withstand 180-265F. I don't think it will get that hot in there.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:53 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by korrupt3dazn
Looks good, thanks for the post. I did same mod in my 7th Gen accord when the fog light cracked. Ran it for years with no issues and running 35watt HID. Lexan can withstand 180-265F. I don't think it will get that hot in there.
Good to know that it worked for awhile in your Accord. After two hours of use, the Lexan felt warm, but still solid, unlike the plexiglass which started to deform after half an hour.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
I did this for 2011 Subaru WRX and used yellow Lexan lenses. It worked for about a year but they eventually burned/melted with stock halogen bulbs. Hopefully that doesn't happen with the TL.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:21 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by vtec260

I drove around with fogs on for a couple of hours today and no condensation, melting, bubbling noted. Hopefully, this is a long-term fix and if this fails, my next option would be getting

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...type-s-915221/
I just ordered these as well as Lamin-x film to protect it. Hopefully it will get there in time to install it this weekend.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:01 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by kcarr91
I just ordered these as well as Lamin-x film to protect it. Hopefully it will get there in time to install it this weekend.
I did the same, (ordered the mildly tinted Lamin-X film), and couldn't be happier with the results. The color matches the stock low beams almost perfectly too.