CPO 2011 Acura TL, front end re-painted

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012 | 10:32 PM
Pro

CPO 2011 Acura TL, front end re-painted

Hello AcuraZine friends...

First, want to thank everyone for tons of great info you share here, love 21 century!

I'm a little disappointed when I found that TL I recently bought as CPO, front end was painted. The paint looks like it's not the best. You can clearly see the color difference on the fender and on the door. After second manual wash using nice soft glove, you can see tiny scratches under the sunlight on clear cote. Paint shop didn't even bother to make layover on the doors as professional shops do. Probably dealer wanted to save some $$$. I did check the car at the time of buying but it was a sunset, and it was hard to see the issue. Plus on 150 check points of CPO list, dealership crossed couple lines with manual transmission checks "assuming" that car is AT as most of them.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible for car to get CPO certification and meet Acura standards to be re-painted? I thought CPO means pretty much clean/working condition as it's coming from factory line.
2. Anything I can do to get compensation or return a car for full refund (doubt it) by dealer or exchange?
3. How about if I call Acura corporate and complain about dealership?
4. Any other options I have?

Well... I know that was my fault for not checking completely. At the same time for couple extra thousands I could get 2012 brand new automatic tranny (2012 6MT is not being built already) since 2013 is coming but I wanted SH-AWD 6MT with umber interior so bad and the only dealer in California had exactly what I wanted.

Note: bought a car month ago

Thanks in advance
Old 09-11-2012 | 09:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

My CPO 07 had AWFUL touchup work on it. They don't seem to pay much attention to the paint.

I'd bring it up with the stealership though. My CPO 09 had some "lot damage" on the bumper when I picked it up, and they repainted it at no charge.
Old 09-11-2012 | 12:35 PM
Advanced

Never hurts to ask the dealer but I wouldn't expect much from them especially a month after the sale. I too have a front bumper that has been repainted but I didn't notice until I had the car for six months. I figure if it took me that long to be able to tell it was repainted then nobody else will ever notice it. Plus its a front bumper, it's going to get chipped and scratched anyway.
Old 09-11-2012 | 01:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech
Never hurts to ask the dealer but I wouldn't expect much from them especially a month after the sale. I too have a front bumper that has been repainted but I didn't notice until I had the car for six months. I figure if it took me that long to be able to tell it was repainted then nobody else will ever notice it. Plus its a front bumper, it's going to get chipped and scratched anyway.
Yea... I don't really worry about front bumber at all but hood and fenders
Old 09-11-2012 | 01:41 PM
Advanced

Oh I didn't realize it was the hood and fenders too. Can you tell if the body panels were replaced or just repainted?
Old 09-11-2012 | 03:23 PM
Cruisin'

My CPO wasn't even detailed when I picked it up. My fault for purchasing the car before it was even washed (fresh trade in), but I had to jump on it for a great deal. They did replace the scuffed wheels and repaint the rear bumper though.
Old 09-12-2012 | 09:29 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
They don't seem to pay much attention to the paint.
VERY TRUE! My 2010 CPO had a factory defect in the paint job. I ended up getting the entire vehicle re-painted under warranty but it's still mind boggling how a 150 point inspection (that includes checking the paint all around) missed this glaring issue.

Good luck!
Old 09-12-2012 | 10:03 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
VERY TRUE! My 2010 CPO had a factory defect in the paint job. I ended up getting the entire vehicle re-painted under warranty but it's still mind boggling how a 150 point inspection (that includes checking the paint all around) missed this glaring issue.

Good luck!

wow what was the defect and how easy was the process?
Old 09-12-2012 | 10:05 AM
Drifting

There were gas bubbles trapped in the paint (I believe that was the issue). It's a known problem on 2010 CBP's. Fortunately the process was very easy for me but my local dealership is different than most. I took it in and within a couple days they had the approval to get started. I was without my car for a month but had a TL w/ tech loaner in its place.
Old 09-12-2012 | 12:18 PM
Pro

FYI... You guys might know this already but... Watch out for "Sold at Auto Auction Eastern Region" on VIN report, there is must be something happened to the car, otherwise it wouldn't get to the auction in my opinion. These cars need to be checked with mechanics etc if you really want to get that car