Changing Reverse Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Changing Reverse Lights

Just curious if anyone has changed the rear reverse lights to an LED Projector style bulb for better output. I had it before in my TSX but after looking up the service manual, it looks like the only way to remove the bulb is to completely remove the rear tail lights. What a friggen hassle!!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
Just curious if anyone has changed the rear reverse lights to an LED Projector style bulb for better output. I had it before in my TSX but after looking up the service manual, it looks like the only way to remove the bulb is to completely remove the rear tail lights. What a friggen hassle!!
Yea its pretty easy. I think it was 3 bolts and it's a 194 LED Bulb.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
peel back the trunk linning, its 3 hex bolts, use little wrenches to take it off. The taillights should feel stuck, hit one of the bolts a couple of times to loosen it up and it should slide right out.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts
I was thinking about using some LEDs for reverse but I read an AZ post about it blowing some fuses and causing some expensive repairs. Another one is using fancy stem caps that will break the TPMS module. Mod with caution.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. Going to pull it out and see what I can do. The OEM halogen bulb is weak, especially at night with the backup cam.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:40 AM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Its not really difficult at all... and the light slides out easily... I did mine couple days ago :-)
Old 02-06-2014, 04:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I did this with LEDs and it fried a fuse somewhere inside the dashboard.... I think someone else had the same issue on here.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Damn. You guys are actually frying fuses because of this? Maybe I'll have to hold off then.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 175 Posts
i had my for 2 years without any problem of blow fuse. It could be the connector are touching next to each other to cause that problem. Fixing the connector on the LED bulb is an easy task. This is what I got on my

http://www.jlclightings.com/CREE-5W-...p/cr-39008.htm
Old 02-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Can one simply swap out these bulbs, or is a resistor or other equipment required? I know a resistor is needed for the switchback mod.

Also, is it simply a swap for licence plate leds? I recently got replacement leds for my puddle lights, my vanity's, my trunk, and the licence plate. Sadly (or "stupidly") I forgot I had to vanity mirrirs, and only ordered one set of bulbs. I've swapped those out, however I'm holding off on the others until it's warmer, and so that I can take some "before and afters".
Old 02-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
Also, is it simply a swap for licence plate leds? I recently got replacement leds for my puddle lights, my vanity's, my trunk, and the licence plate. Sadly (or "stupidly") I forgot I had to vanity mirrirs, and only ordered one set of bulbs. I've swapped those out, however I'm holding off on the others until it's warmer, and so that I can take some "before and afters".
The license plate and puddle are the same concept - pop it out and change bulb. Easy change.

Since you change the vaninity mirrors, how is the brightness?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thePearl
Since you change the vaninity mirrors, how is the brightness?
I like it. I was worried that the leds would be too bright, but I think they work nicely. I got these in the "warm white" (as opposed to the "xenon white") and I think that helps. Brighter than stock, and good light spread, without being "too much". I'll see if I can upload some pics. Again, since I neglected to order for both sides, I've only swapped out the passenger side, and should be able to provide a comparison.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by KB1Spec
i had my for 2 years without any problem of blow fuse. It could be the connector are touching next to each other to cause that problem. Fixing the connector on the LED bulb is an easy task. This is what I got on my

http://www.jlclightings.com/CREE-5W-...p/cr-39008.htm
This

The reason why a fuse would blow is because there's a short.

Can one simply swap out these bulbs, or is a resistor or other equipment required? I know a resistor is needed for the switchback mod.
It's a simple swap. R&R (remove and replace).

The only reason why resistors are needed for the turn signals is because LEDs require a lower current which makes the car think a bulb is out, which makes the turn signals hyperblink (blink really fast to aware driver that a signal bulb is out).

The resistors correct this, and your TL will blink at the normal rate with LEDs.

Andrew, if you're looking for a BRIGHT bulb with good spread, go with the VLEDs:

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbe...79-1-pair.html

They're on backorder right now, though.

Having a bulb with good spread is important so when you reverse at night, there are no hot spots seen from your reverse cam.

Same bulbs on my TL:

I think the "projector" style ones they sell at Nextmod would give you hotspots (they tested out a bulb for me when I was in).

The VLED bulbs emit light from the sides, making use of the reflector in the tail light, making the light spread better.

JLC Lighting Cree:

VLEDS:

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 02-07-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
I like it. I was worried that the leds would be too bright, but I think they work nicely. I got these in the "warm white" (as opposed to the "xenon white") and I think that helps. Brighter than stock, and good light spread, without being "too much". I'll see if I can upload some pics. Again, since I neglected to order for both sides, I've only swapped out the passenger side, and should be able to provide a comparison.

awesome! all my lightbulbs have come from ijdm.

my wife been nagging me about changing those vanity light bulbs so she will have more light when she is doing her makeup but i refuse as i hate driving with interior lights.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thePearl
awesome! all my lightbulbs have come from ijdm.

my wife been nagging me about changing those vanity light bulbs so she will have more light when she is doing her makeup but i refuse as i hate driving with interior lights.
I'm embarrassed to say, I didn't even consider that. The brighter bulbs may be more annoying to the driver when used while the car is in motion.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
Damn. You guys are actually frying fuses because of this? Maybe I'll have to hold off then.
It totally screwed screwed up my car, I would not recommend it...

Also you think that the cree projector leds will be brighter but they were probably half as bright as the stock ones.... you need to buy a light that uses the reflector housing.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts
I just did this mod on the 4g and my Truck... I went with 42 LED SMD's no Projector and while I love the color they match the tag lights and the HID's, the output is no where near what the stock bulbs had... the TL isn't a big deal cause the tails are tinted and the windows are 5% reverse lights do nothing for backing it up... but the truck I need all the light I can get for backing up and loading trailers... So kinda pissed about the brightness... I'm going to pull them outta the truck... May look into the projectors...
Old 02-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have a back up camera? I thought about changing my reverse lights also. But i've been in a car with very bright ones and they cannot see anything with the camera.. Maybe good for tinted cars without the camera but in all honesty.. I think the OEM rear view camera is paired perfectly. Very clear day AND night.

If I had any doubts, I would pull up or aim the headlights towards the spot before I backed in anyways.