Car and Driver Acura TL SH-AWD Manual First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:44 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by WiLLs TypE S
I'm not trying to bad mouth Acura TL, but the only reason why I owned a Acura TL was because it was best bang for the buck in regards of options. That is why I'm a loyal Honda fan..for commuter cars. I give it props if they say it can outperform a BMW 335xi, since it's been awhile since I've seen a Acura TL outperform a BMW. Giving props to the new 4g TL. But once again not my cup of tea.

Oh and thank your for agreeing with me..people don't really care about performance. The only reason why TL did so well is b/c the 2G brought it alive. Now with the 4G..I think it will go downhill.
I think we need to wait a few months to see how the sales go. So far press reviews seem favorable.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:36 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And there is a reason why a 328i cost 40k. How high of a luxury "brand" car do you want to go? Ferrai? Rollys Royce? Bentley? B/c thats not a high-end car..thats an exotic. I am actually considering on purchasing a 335i, but I might wait for a lexus IS Coupe.

Oh, and I own a 2G TL for a reason. It's b/c I am still the believer and lover of 2G TL be still the best looking TL yet so far. Or else I woulda switched over to a 3G. I put over 95k on it since June of 03. And still going...but is it me..or the newer cars are not that attractive lol. :X

Last edited by WiLLs TypE S; 09-30-2008 at 04:39 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:37 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,108 Likes on 2,552 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Colin,

Then Legend2TL takes a swipe at me too. But in your Post #69,

PS: And, by the way, the P-51 Mustang is THE most agile fighter of it's time. The F-86 Sabre was underpowered but strong during the Korean War. And the F-100 Super-Sabre was a step up to the F-86. No, I never flew in those planes, but I sure wish I could have.
My "swipe" was a quote from a great designer in reference to the chronic complaining of some folk's disapproval of the exterior styling of the 4G no matter in what thread. Didn't see your second posting. I still prefer the 3G styling to the 4G but I don't state it as a fact in all caps.

BTW, in it's early life as the P-51 was actually used first by the British (Lend-Lease) and the USAAF took a liking to it later on. Initially the USAAF was not very interested in the P-51 for a variety of reasons. The story of

The F-14 is good in agility (only 6.5G airframe) but certainly had it's woes in many areas (TF30 engine problems, AWG-9 reliability, very high maintenance hours per flight hour ~50-1 compared to 15-1 for a F/A-18E). Some of these problems were fixed with newer APG-71 radar and GE F-110 engines. In the end it wound up dropping LGB's in it's new role. It's intial design requirements were very single-role minded (long time/range fleet CAP defence), in the end multi-role tactical aircraft are much more useful and practical. Maybe using a F/A-18 reference for a TL would be a better complement since it's more useful and reliable.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-30-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
My "swipe" was a quote from a great designer in reference to the chronic complaining of some folk's disapproval of the exterior styling of the 4G no matter in what thread. Didn't see your second posting. I still prefer the 3G styling to the 4G but I don't state it as a fact in all caps.

BTW, in it's early life as the P-51 was actually used first by the British (Lend-Lease) and the USAAF took a liking to it later on. Initially the USAAF was not very interested in the P-51 for a variety of reasons. The story of

The F-14 is good in agility (only 6.5G airframe) but certainly had it's woes in many areas (TF30 engine problems, AWG-9 reliability, very high maintenance hours per flight hour ~50-1 compared to 15-1 for a F/A-18E). Some of these problems were fixed with newer APG-71 radar and GE F-110 engines. In the end it wound up dropping LGB's in it's new role. It's intial design requirements were very single-role minded (long time/range fleet CAP defence), in the end multi-role tactical aircraft are much more useful and practical. Maybe using a F/A-18 reference for a TL would be a better complement since it's more useful and reliable.
I'm in agreement with all aircraft notations above. The new 4G TL is possibly a highbrid of both the F-14 (size) and the F-18 (lower maintenance and reliability).
Old 09-30-2008, 09:13 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,108 Likes on 2,552 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I'm in agreement with all aircraft notations above. The new 4G TL is possibly a highbrid of both the F-14 (size) and the F-18 (lower maintenance and reliability).
The last official F-14 flight was out of Oceania, they had two F-14D's on the flight line in case one of them had a pre-flight problem. Sure enough the first one faulted out with a problem and the second performed the last flight. None the less, it's really hard not seeing Tomcats on the decks anymore.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:30 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by WiLLs TypE S
And there is a reason why a 328i cost 40k. How high of a luxury "brand" car do you want to go? Ferrai? Rollys Royce? Bentley? B/c thats not a high-end car..thats an exotic. I am actually considering on purchasing a 335i, but I might wait for a lexus IS Coupe.

Oh, and I own a 2G TL for a reason. It's b/c I am still the believer and lover of 2G TL be still the best looking TL yet so far. Or else I woulda switched over to a 3G. I put over 95k on it since June of 03. And still going...but is it me..or the newer cars are not that attractive lol. :X
lol, I think you missed part of my post...I said this before,

"IMO high-end luxury cars = LS460, S class, 7-series. "

You know...as I said, it's really hard to define high-end luxury cars, I guess everyone has his/her own view.

If I were you, I'd definitely go for the 335i. I personally like it a lot, but too bad I'm just a student and I cannot afford one....

I agree, I love the 2G TL, and I'm planning to keep mine for a few more years, before I move on to a NSX (hopefully!!).
Old 09-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Same here! Ive dreamed about owning an NSX since it came out in 91. Ill be getting one within the 2 years.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:39 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

lol well you started earlier than I did! I was only 5 when the first NSX came out..lol...
Old 09-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are a young man my friend. lol. And I did read what you said earlier. But are you saying an IS and a ES is not part of the lexus crowd? I'm talking about brands, not a specific model. A TL is what is keeping acura alive. W/o it pschh...done. That is why I'm targeting just TL. B/c when people think Acura nowadays, they think TL.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:11 AM
Burning Brakes