Car and Driver Acura TL SH-AWD Manual First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 12:47 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car and Driver Acura TL SH-AWD Manual First Drive

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

They test drove the car around the track agianst the BMW 335i and 335xi, Infiniti G35, and Audi S4 and they said
But—surprise, surprise—the TL is quicker around the track than any of the other cars.
is that possible?
Old 09-26-2008, 01:02 AM
Racer

I doubt it. From what the stats say, the Acura SH-AWD is low to mid 14 sec car. It might be able to beat the G35 and S4, but the bmw's will own it anyday. I'm sorry to say that. (335 series). Maybe they were referring to the 328 lineup.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:19 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

Originally Posted by WiLLs TypE S
I doubt it. From what the stats say, the Acura SH-AWD is low to mid 14 sec car. It might be able to beat the G35 and S4, but the bmw's will own it anyday. I'm sorry to say that. (335 series). Maybe they were referring to the 328 lineup.
i kind of doubt that a magazine like Car and Driver would make such a huge mistake like that. If this article is true, it's certainly encouraging.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:20 AM
?

Originally Posted by WiLLs TypE S
Nope, if you read page two, the TL SH was faster on the track.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:49 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

for you doubters, here is another better more detailed article

http://vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=791083

definitely impressed me.

Last edited by zeezz; 09-26-2008 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
if Car&Driver tested the manual NOW, WHY we have to wait a year for the MT on the TL ShAwd??

IF the BIG and FAT TL 4GN is faster of the lighter and smoller concurents of the test as C&D said is a very good thing...

BUT I'd preferred they compared the TL to the BMW535xi, or the M35x or
the Audi A6 3.2 quattro....
Old 09-26-2008, 03:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by krio
if Car&Driver tested the manual NOW, WHY we have to wait a year for the MT on the TL ShAwd??

Why does any manufacturer stagger the introduction of various models or trim levels? It's not like Porsche didn't bring out the big engined Cayman first to be followed by an affordable version later, or BMW didn't introduce the new 3 with a carry over engine first, followed by a stronger version, followed by a turbo version, followed by a M version.....

I'm pretty sure that the larger cars you mentioned would have been more than 2 seconds adrift. Man that would have been embarrassing!
Old 09-26-2008, 05:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb TOV Story

TOV
2010 Acura TL to Offer All-New Manual Transmission
Date: September 26, 2008 04:00
Submitted by: Jeff
Source: Acura PR
Credibility Rating: Not Specified

New 6-Speed Manual Will Be Available Next Fall on TL SH-AWD Model

TORRANCE, Calif. - 09/26/2008

By adding an available manual transmission to the TL SH-AWD® model, Acura will further up its game for performance minded TL drivers who prefer the winding route over the direct route, Acura announced today. Available next fall for the 2010 model year, will be a TL SH-AWD® with 6-speed manual transmission and numerous modifications to enhance vehicle dynamics.

"The new manual transmission equipped TL SH-AWD® really allows the enthusiast driver to take full advantage of the performance of Acura's SH-AWD® system," said Dick Colliver, executive vice president of sales, "Not only is the new manual transmission model the best performing Acura TL ever, it is the top handling performer among every vehicle in its class."

The availability of a 6-speed manual transmission for the 2010 TL SH-AWD® represents the first time Acura has ever paired its acclaimed Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ system with a manual gearbox. In addition, the new close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission is approximately 110 lbs lighter than the Sequential SportShift automatic transmission to further benefit acceleration, braking and cornering.

The 6-speed manual transmission is an all-new design that is substantially stronger than the previous generation TL manual transmission. In addition to using a more rigid aluminum case and heavier-duty internals, the new manual transmission employs precisely selected gear ratios based on the characteristics of the TL's new 3.7L V-6 engine and SH-AWD® drivetrain. New gear synchronizers deliver improved shift accuracy and feel, and a short-throw shifter assembly generates confident shifting combined with low shift effort.

Acura engineers also designed an entirely new clutch system for the new 6-speed manual transmission to withstand the TL's robust power output while also improving modulation for noticeably easier use. The new self-adjusting, dual-mass clutch delivers extremely constant pedal effort throughout the entire stroke of the pedal. By keeping the effort linear, the driver has improved feel that results in better clutch interaction.

The TL SH-AWD® 6MT has a specially calibrated Hill Start Assist system that helps prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards when the driver switches from the brake to the accelerator while stopped on a hill. When the road incline exceeds an 8-degree threshold and the vehicle is fully stopped, Hill Start Assist automatically activates. When Hill Start Assist is active, the brakes automatically hold for one second as the driver's foot transitions from the brake to the accelerator pedal. The brakes are automatically released when the vehicle begins to move forward.

The 2010 TL SH-AWD® 6MT has exclusive suspension tuning via special coil spring and shock absorber rates tuned for flatter cornering with reduced pitching motions under acceleration and braking. The front dampers incorporate 5-percent more tension damping during low piston speeds to generate improved turn-in feel. In addition, the front dampers generate 14-percent less high speed compression damping which helps improve ride quality.

The TL SH-AWD® 6MT employs firmer engine and transmission bushings that better resist engine and/or transmission movement during spirited driving. Engine side mount bushing stiffness increases by 80-percent, front mount rate increases by 17-percent, rear hydro mount firmness increases by 50-percent and the transmission upper mount is stiffened by 100-percent.

For 6-speed manual transmission applications, special heavy-duty front driveshafts are used. In addition to being 2-percent larger in diameter, the driveshafts have a larger inboard spline size and team with more heavy-duty CV joints.

The TL SH-AWD® fit with the new 6-speed transmission will also benefit from exclusive Electronic Power Steering (EPS) tuning. Just as with the TL SH-AWD® with Sequential SportShift 5-speed automatic, the EPS delivers low steering effort for parking maneuvers that progressively firms up as speed increases.

With the 6-speed manual transmission TL SH-AWD®, the EPS system is further tuned to deliver a slightly heavier feel as speed increases thus generating more confident mid- to high-speed driving dynamics.

The addition of a manual transmission, an all-new clutch system and suspension changes yield an 88 lb. reduction in overall vehicle weight. The weight reduction not only delivers improved performance, but also generates a more favorable front/rear weight bias. Compared to an automatic transmission equipped TL SH-AWD®, the 6-speed manual version improves weight distribution by 1-percent thus generating a 58/42 ratio versus the 5AT's 59/41 ratio.

Acura offers a full line of technologically advanced performance luxury vehicles through a network of 270 dealers within the United States. The 2009 Acura lineup features five distinctive models including the RL luxury performance sedan, the TL performance luxury sedan, the TSX sports sedan, the turbocharged RDX crossover SUV and the award-winning MDX luxury sport utility vehicle.

Last edited by TSX69; 09-26-2008 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:55 AM
Cruisin'

Yes!

Bring it here to Europe - I am on the market now but will wait until next year. BTW any info about the price?
Old 09-26-2008, 07:27 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Edmunds agrees

I didn't believe it either but it looks like everyone agrees...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
Old 09-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Colin
Why does any manufacturer stagger the introduction of various models or trim levels? It's not like Porsche didn't bring out the big engined Cayman first to be followed by an affordable version later, or BMW didn't introduce the new 3 with a carry over engine first, followed by a stronger version, followed by a turbo version, followed by a M version.....

I'm pretty sure that the larger cars you mentioned would have been more than 2 seconds adrift. Man that would have been embarrassing!
I agree Colin.
But in my opinion with the 4GN the TL is not more a concurrent of the 3, A4, IS, G35 series...
About the trims levels...
think at the confusions of the engines ranges in BMW, Audi, Merc: a 1.8T, 1.9 TDI, 2.0TFSI, 2.0FSI, 2.0TDI... get creazy.
One of the most RIDICULOUS case is for the Bmw sedan M3.
It was presented one year ago, and buz!! after a few months they got the 3 serie restyled and the M3 sedan too was restyled... I can imagine the happiness of the owners..
The Audies get the R the lest 2-3 years of their cycle: the RS4, RS6, and now you can buy a new RS4 cabrio of the OLD model or the S4 of the new one!!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
OMG, looks like my dreams for the 2002+ NSX might have to be put on hold. A daily driver, familly hauler and enthusiast vehicle all wrapped in one. I'll be keeping a sharp eye on this car now that I know it will come with a 6 speed. Now all it needs is a comptech SC.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Nice find. The article is certianly encouraging. I'm still waiting for the Type-S version to come out before I start shopping though.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ggesq
Nice find. The article is certianly encouraging. I'm still waiting for the Type-S version to come out before I start shopping though.
yeah... if the 6MT is so fast, the Type-s should be a bred&butter car...
Old 09-26-2008, 09:13 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm speed reading thru this (break time)...so 2010 is the year to wait for as the 6MT will be available? ...
Old 09-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ggesq
I don't think there will be a Type-S didn't Acura say the SH-AWD was the replacement?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Also....

The SH-AWD tested is speed limited to 130mph. It may be fast on the track, but on the interstate it will get killed by everthing from the Mazda 6 to some newer Civics. Not to mention EVERY 3g TL made.
On a positive note, I'm glad to see a Honda beat a BMW around the track
Old 09-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Cruisin'

?

Originally Posted by AcuraVic
The SH-AWD tested is speed limited to 130mph.
Why 130? Technology?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Racer

The SH-AWD tested is speed limited to 130mph. It may be fast on the track, but on the interstate it will get killed by everthing from the Mazda 6 to some newer Civics. Not to mention EVERY 3g TL made.
New Civics are also limited to 130mph.

Yes its technology the ECU has a speed limiter it is the dumbest thing on the planet. I don't want to be told when i can stop punching my gas blowing my engine should be at my discretion.

=/
Old 09-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Crucifer
I don't think there will be a Type-S didn't Acura say the SH-AWD was the replacement?
Yes, indeed - the SH-AWD is the new "higher performance" designation for Acura

As far as the new TL being limited to 130mph and being owned on the highway by vehicles that aren't electronically (or otherwise) limited to such a "low" speed goes - where and how often are you going to reach those speeds here in the US? The new TL is very quick and smooth on the highway and runs from 60-100 are quick, effortless and drama-free (I speak from first-hand experience).
Obviously, they are quick on the track as evidenced by the article above and I believe that more than 99.9% of the drivers out there will never be hampered by the 130 mph limitation - and if you are in that HUGE minority who would be, I'm sure you can find ways around that! :wink:

Just use some common sense and keep it on the track and don't kill yourself or someone else, please.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

The TL was always strong in the handling department. The 3rd Gen TL-S beat a IS 350 and the new G35 on a track.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
So what you are saying, is that you want to go faster than 130 on a interstate highway. If so, then you and anyone else here who want more speed than 130 are just crazy!

Why in hell whould you want to go faster on a road that everyone uses. No wonder people die in car's.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by biggygo
Yes, indeed - the SH-AWD is the new "higher performance" designation for Acura

As far as the new TL being limited to 130mph and being owned on the highway by vehicles that aren't electronically (or otherwise) limited to such a "low" speed goes - where and how often are you going to reach those speeds here in the US? The new TL is very quick and smooth on the highway and runs from 60-100 are quick, effortless and drama-free (I speak from first-hand experience).
Obviously, they are quick on the track as evidenced by the article above and I believe that more than 99.9% of the drivers out there will never be hampered by the 130 mph limitation - and if you are in that HUGE minority who would be, I'm sure you can find ways around that! :wink:

Just use some common sense and keep it on the track and don't kill yourself or someone else, please.

115-142mph daily (by daily i mean if im in the mood) - There's a closed down road that cuts between two places its part of a wildlife thing here. No cops go there no one even checks it...its heaven

When I have a faster car I plan on breaking into the 150-160s.

But I don't like the idea of being hampered.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Intermediate

that's great that you have a non-public road that you can enjoy your car on - but if you're racing other cars (worried about getting outrun by a Mazda, etc) I can't condone it - and watch out for the wildlife in that area - hit a chipmunk at 130 or better and I don't have to tell you what could happen. But if you insist, there are ways to get around that limitation like I said before.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by biggygo
that's great that you have a non-public road that you can enjoy your car on - but if you're racing other cars (worried about getting outrun by a Mazda, etc) I can't condone it - and watch out for the wildlife in that area - hit a chipmunk at 130 or better and I don't have to tell you what could happen. But if you insist, there are ways to get around that limitation like I said before.
Yeah more deer than anything else. Also I've had my share of people follow me down the road to race...i've beaten a porsche, lexus, sports bike (I was surprised) and a few others. My TL pulls REALLY hard from a 60 roll...to 100 is like nothing. Then i'm crazy so i'll push my car to 140mph and most people backoff even if its close. The sports bike gave me a run at about 120mph he let off my back quarter panel. I don't blame him he had to be freaking out going 120mph on a bike.

The lexus got destroyed and the porsche was just having fun hugging my bumper around turns :P

But yeah i'm always safe...if i wreck its me and maybe a tree that goes down no one else. I don't do too much crazy stuff on public roads...I mean i've hit 130mph on the highway but i made sure i was safe to do so.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Ak Ting Up

Originally Posted by frainc
So what you are saying, is that you want to go faster than 130 on a interstate highway. If so, then you and anyone else here who want more speed than 130 are just crazy!

Why in hell whould you want to go faster on a road that everyone uses. No wonder people die in car's.
Hell has nothing to do with it. Its my choice how fast I drive, just as its your choice how fast you drive.
And what I am saying is that a NEWly Designed TL, with Super Handling, and 306hp, should be faster or as fast as a previous model of the same car, 5 years older.
If you didn't know, the 3g TL, non S type, Auto trans, will hit 150mph.
So, your on I-75 South, its a long stretch of three lanes, low traffic, and you are in your 2010 TL, SH-AWD, your rolling about 78-80 (posted speed is 70mph). Your feeling good watching your doppler radar. You look over to the left and see my 04/TL gaining on you. You decide to match speed, all the way up to 130mph, where your car shuts down (bucks) and I continue on, leaving you.
After I show you that you cant keep up, I slow down to your speed.
I also pass you when you exit the highway to get gas, seeing that my 04/TL get better gas mileage than your 2010 TL SH-AWD.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

don't think I'm without sin here, too...I've driven fast enough (130+) on public roads before but it was late at night on an empty interstate - and I was younger and didn't have a family of my own to consider. Now I'm a little older and have responsibilities AND I realize how "not smart" it was to risk o much for the short lived thrill that came from such high speed runs.
BTW [/ threadjack] - sorry
Old 09-26-2008, 11:09 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
what the hell happens when you hit a pothole at 130mph or have a tire fail?

anywho..

Looks nice!

IMPORTANT QUESTION THOUGH! Will you be able to get the keyless access system with the 6MT SH-AWD TL?!!?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Ak Ting Up

[QUOTE=fleshy;10030762]what the hell happens when you hit a pothole at 130mph or have a tire fail?

I'm sure it will be bad, but it hasn't happened yet. I did have a blowout in a 530I at 80. No drama, six lanes of Interstate to get her under control and get to the shoulder.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by fleshy
what the hell happens when you hit a pothole at 130mph or have a tire fail?

anywho..

Looks nice!

IMPORTANT QUESTION THOUGH! Will you be able to get the keyless access system with the 6MT SH-AWD TL?!!?
you say $#@$ and go buy a new tire/rim/possibly front bumper.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Ak Ting Up

I'll Concede

Expert road engineers determine the maximum safe speeds for any road.
Anyone driving faster than the posted speed is driving unsafe according to the NHTSA.

The new TL is ugly.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:05 PM
07TL-CBP

"...it looks like the giant shovel that hit the front end was left where the grille should be...." (Car & Driver) <--- ROFLOL - I could not resist.

Its great that the MT will improve quickness by about '0.7 s' vs. the auto. However, a SH-AWD TL quicker around a twisty track that a 335i, G35 and S4? This can't be a surprise. The twisty track plays to the strengths of SH-AWD.

Now, how about a 335i vs. 4G TL MT heads-up on a straight track?
Old 09-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Racer

But yeah i'm always safe...if i wreck its me and maybe a tree that goes down no one else. I don't do too much crazy stuff on public roads...I mean i've hit 130mph on the highway but i made sure i was safe to do so.

34 years on the fire department and I'm throwing the BS flag on this one. I'll save the lecture, but it's this attitude that kills innocent people, and that's firsthand experience talking-not just an opinion.

Last edited by 1075; 09-26-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:29 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pokin
"...it looks like the giant shovel that hit the front end was left where the grille should be...." (Car & Driver) <--- ROFLOL - I could not resist.

Its great that the MT will improve quickness by about '0.7 s' vs. the auto. However, a SH-AWD TL quicker around a twisty track that a 335i, G35 and S4? This can't be a surprise. The twisty track plays to the strengths of SH-AWD.

The Edmunds review states:

"1st Place: While the 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT might not have the horsepower to keep up on the straight with any of these other sport sedans, it works best by far in the corners and made up time over its competition in speed at the apex and at the exit."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
Old 09-26-2008, 12:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,108 Likes on 2,552 Posts

I do not know how anyone can say they are safe doing 130MPH and "don't do too much crazy stuff" on a public road?
Old 09-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pokin

The Audi and the 335xi were AWD too. Its deff a suprise for me
Old 09-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

IF the BIG and FAT TL 4GN is faster of the lighter and smoller concurents of the test as C&D said is a very good thing...

The TL destroyed s4, g35 and 335i. At this point, everyone can easily guess what would happen to bigger brothers of the above when put against the new TL. On that note I see no reasons to see such comparison.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I do not know how anyone can say they are safe doing 130MPH and "don't do too much crazy stuff" on a public road?
If you know how to drive and you are aware of your surroundings you are fine.

Also i never do those speeds if anyone is in sight front/back/side. When i get the open road...public/not and the itch to vtec...i let the car have its fun with me.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:52 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally Posted by juruki
The Audi and the 335xi were AWD too. Its deff a suprise for me
The new SH-AWD TL has torque vectoring (L/R torque splitting for rear wheels) which significantly increases cornering performance. In fact, it is so superior that Audi is scrambling to catch up the technology ever since the SH-AWD RL has come out.

Audi is working on similar torque vectoring addition to it's Quattro system, and this upgrade probably still hasn't applied to the Audi test car yet.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:04 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts

Most likely Acura needs a full year's time to work out all the bugs and reliability issues, if any, before releasing the manual tranny to the public. It made the crappy 2G CL/TL tranny mistake once, it doesn't want to fuck up the 2nd time.

I don't think it makes sense to compare the TL with the 5-series, M_5, and A6, because they are not in the same price class. The RL is.

The TL is in the same price class as 3-series, G_5, A4, and even C-class, which is exactly what C&D is doing comparison tests with.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Acura TL SH-AWD Manual First Drive