4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bye, bye Acura - welcome BMW 3 series.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've owned/leased 5 Acuras, beginning with a '99 TL, and I currently lease an '11 RDX and a '12 TL and I have never experienced a rattle problem. I've had issues, but rattles were not one of them. Good luck with your BMW. I just can't justify the additional cost of a BMW over an Acura. I love both of my cars and they're a blast to drive.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Wow, already on page 2!!! Even Yumcha chimed in on this subject. People really have strong opinions about thier cars...

The question is "ARE YOU LISTENING ACURA???"
Old 11-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by omaralt
Even Hyundai is ahead of Acura at this point. Acura really needs to find itself. At this point I really don't see a need for the entire brand. It really is not different enough from Honda to warrant an entire new division IMO
I just drove a '12 Hyundai Sonata on a 6 hour round trip. To compare it to a TL (or any Acura) is pure hyperbole. Yes, it is better than Hyundais of old, but it doesn't even compare to my wife's 7G Accord, much less an Acura. Vague handling, more cheap plastic than a Chinese plastic factory, uncomfortable seats, terrible sound system, cheap-feeling switches/buttons . . . where to start. The motor felt strong and got good mileage, but that's about all I'd give it. And I'm not a fan of the styling either. Sorry, but they have a way to go. The Genesis looks nice and I haven't driven one, but the regular models are no great shakes.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I just drove a '12 Hyundai Sonata on a 6 hour round trip. To compare it to a TL (or any Acura) is pure hyperbole. Yes, it is better than Hyundais of old, but it doesn't even compare to my wife's 7G Accord, much less an Acura. Vague handling, more cheap plastic than a Chinese plastic factory, uncomfortable seats, terrible sound system, cheap-feeling switches/buttons . . . where to start. The motor felt strong and got good mileage, but that's about all I'd give it. And I'm not a fan of the styling either. Sorry, but they have a way to go. The Genesis looks nice and I haven't driven one, but the regular models are no great shakes.

I also drove one breifly as a rental and hated just about everything except the gimmicky stuff which I thought was cool such as ambient lighting. Instead of ambient lighting they should used better dashboard materials.

All rattles and problems in my TL has been remedied by my local dealer(s). People claiming Acura sucks because a particular dealer ignores their concerns is dumb .
Old 11-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
The Genesis would be a better comparison since it is priced about the same as the SH-AWD Advance.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Glashub
The Genesis would be a better comparison since it is priced about the same as the SH-AWD Advance.
Genesis is a nice car, i was very tempted by the 4.6, seemed like a great value with the tech, but the TL/tech edged it by a hair in my evaluation...
Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Genesis is a far better built auto than the lower Hyundai offerings, but its also in the next size category and not often found in comparisons with the TL. I just noticed US News rankings earlier and the Genesis tied for 2nd place for large luxury cars. The TL placed 2nd behind the 3 series for Upscale midsize class, and honestly if the TL didn't have such a "polarizing" appearance, I think it would have stolen first place.

OP should enjoy the bimmer for what it is, a fun, classy drive. I love the lines of the 3 and would have bought one if I was more comfortable in it, but the interior just didn't suit me. We all know the horror stories for BMW maintenance, but now with 4 years covered who cares? I doubt many of us keep a car much past 3 years let alone 4.

I'm looking forward to a competitive market when I'm ready to trade-in - seems everyone will be bringing new designs around 2015, should be exciting
Old 11-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Booya4139
Genesis is a nice car, i was very tempted by the 4.6, seemed like a great value with the tech, but the TL/tech edged it by a hair in my evaluation...
I'm looking forward to joining the Acura family again. If i would've bought a 2012 (with added sound proofing, etc) I might never had owned a Genny.

That said; I have no regrets. The car is solid as can be and quiet as Fort Knox. It has been compeletly reliable with all of its tech. Remarkable since this car has had this tech package since 2009 and it still includes features the new Accord doesn't have. The Genny refresh is for 2014.

The V-8 is such a rush to drive. It is a remarkable engine and the 8 speed tranny is butter smooth.

The handling needs refinement. The seats don't compare to the TL and the TL seems to have a better air conditioner.

Here in LA the Genny has been great because I don't have to slow down and brace myself for every pothole and rut.

Next year is going to be exciting as Acura, Infinity and Genesis will all have next gens coming out.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
Genesis is a far better built auto than the lower Hyundai offerings, but its also in the next size category and not often found in comparisons with the TL. I just noticed US News rankings earlier and the Genesis tied for 2nd place for large luxury cars. The TL placed 2nd behind the 3 series for Upscale midsize class, and honestly if the TL didn't have such a "polarizing" appearance, I think it would have stolen first place.

OP should enjoy the bimmer for what it is, a fun, classy drive. I love the lines of the 3 and would have bought one if I was more comfortable in it, but the interior just didn't suit me. We all know the horror stories for BMW maintenance, but now with 4 years covered who cares? I doubt many of us keep a car much past 3 years let alone 4.

I'm looking forward to a competitive market when I'm ready to trade-in - seems everyone will be bringing new designs around 2015, should be exciting
You know what's interesting to me? I use the same fitted car cover (made for the 2010 TL) on the 2012 Genny that I used on the 2010 TL. It looks like a bigger car than the TL though and they created much more trunk space and rear seat space. Not sure how they did that since the car cover would seem to indicate similar dimensions, right?

Last edited by Glashub; 11-15-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
The one issue I have with the BMW 3-series would be the size of the interior.

Its fine for two people........but with passengers in the back seat, it becomes a very small car.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:44 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM

I generally agree and just so happened to check out US News and do think they are a little suspect in their car rankings and scoring if you ask me but then again so is just about every source in a way.

Not really concerned about where they have any car ranked or how it's scored, it's just that many of those cars in the group are not actually mid sized but are referred to as such and the large luxury category could as easily include some of the mid category cars based on size because they are also mid sized like the majority of the cars in the large group.

I think this is just a failed attempt at labeling entry and mid level vehicles and even then the Genesis, while not a stretch, is a bit questionable as a true mid level luxury vehicle so I question their grouping and categories is all.

You know what's interesting to me? I use the same fitted car cover (made for the 2010 TL) on the 2012 Genny that I used on the 2010 TL. It looks like a bigger car than the TL though and they created much more trunk space and rear seat space. Not sure how they did that since the car cover would seem to indicate similar dimensions, right?
What's interesting about this is that the TL is a large car particularly on the outside by way of it's design, it's not necessarily a small car for it's wheelbase however. It just appears so because of the large front and rear overhangs. It does have exterior dimensions of a full size sedan because it's stretched in terms of it's bumpers.

The dimensions are measured at their max points and both TL designs come to a point front and back, shaped and extended like a bullet nose or something to that effect and also shelf like at the same time. The wide fender arches and stance also create this effect in width but short of the longest or widest points, when placed next to true full sized vehicle, usually there is still much more substance everywhere in between and on top as opposed to just having similar max points. Hope that makes sense.

If you look at where the trunk and hood lines end and break it off almost straight down, taking in account for other structures, you could shave about 5-6 inches off it's total length, give or take. Not sure if it serves some other crash testing or aerodynamic purposes, etc but that is the primary reason for that. I'm sure the RL being positioned above it has something to do with it as well.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Burning Brakes

^^^^

Thanks for taking the time to type out a detailed response. You've made perfect sense.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Too each their own but your basically trading a full-size luxury vehicle (TL) for a car for midgets (3 series).

I'm 6'3", 230 LBS of pure muscle and need a bigger car that has some get up... TL is for me!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by EazyRider562
Too each their own but your basically trading a full-size luxury vehicle (TL) for a car for midgets (3 series).

I'm 6'3", 230 LBS of pure muscle and need a bigger car that has some get up... TL is for me!

My new favorite post from EazyRider. Awesome. I only wish I could get the smiley to clap even slower.
The following users liked this post:
birdy*feet (11-17-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I want to see a picture of you. I really want to. Please
The following 2 users liked this post by omaralt:
birdy*feet (11-17-2012), docboy (11-21-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah and I got 14 inches of pure muscle for the woman waiting for him while he spends hours eveyday in the gym. It's attached to a rather shabby body but as they a say..."a bird in the hand."
Old 11-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Pro

I just dont get why idiots come on here and talk about how they converted to another car company. If you dont' like TL, thats fine. Leave and find another site and talk about the worst decision that you've probably made in your life. right?
Shoot2Thrill (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Maybe it's because we all have a genuine deep abiding love for Acura and feel a little betrayed by a company a lot of us have been loyal to since the 90's? Maybe we hope that a Honda rep reads these boards like a Hyundai rep reads those boards?

Also, no need to call anyone names. Besides, there's a saying in NY...if you can spot it, you got it.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Pro

betrayed? lol how so? cuz you bought a lemon?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by hypno999
Thank you guys, this is why I only decided to go with 36 months lease instead of buying so I can decide how things go. My other family car is X5 so far no issues after 12 months. Before the current X5 we had another one, this thing survived 2 accidents, it's build like a tank... but around 4 years into owning the car things starting to break... mostly because incompetence of the service department. That's the thing with BMW, don't want to keep them much past the warranty.

2 more years and 11 months left on the 328i Xdrive lease... who knows maybe I'll be back to Acura, i really did like this 2009 TL SHAWD...
smart..always lease a Broke More than Work
Old 11-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

betrayed? lol how so? cuz you bought a lemon?
Because there are cars out there that have out paced Acura in a number of areas. lololol
birdy*feet (11-17-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I just dont get why idiots come on here and talk about how they converted to another car company. If you dont' like TL, thats fine. Leave and find another site and talk about the worst decision that you've probably made in your life. right?
And I don't get why people have to be such dick-heads as you are. The title of the thread was pretty clear about what it was about. You didn't have to open the thread but you did.

I've been on many car and motorcycle forums. When I have owned a vehicle and been on it's forum for a period of time I always post that I've sold my vehicle and bought something else. For one thing, many forum members have become "friends". Second, most forum regulars are car (or motorcycle in my case) junkies and they like hearing about any vehicle - especially from those who have have gotten to know on forums and I value their opinions.
The following 4 users liked this post by jjsC5:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-21-2012), g37guy01 (11-24-2012), Glashub (11-21-2012), kc1953 (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Pro

bro, i dont think you get my point.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:18 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

So what's your point ?!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Pro

That he's coming on an Acura board and running his mouth about how he's gone from Acura. I mean, thats a decision he made. I'm fine with it. But how about he goes to the BMW board and talks about how good of a decision he made? Makes sense right?

All he's doing here is angering the board members, trying to persuade them they made a bad decision. I just don't get it.....
Old 11-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Burning Brakes

That he's coming on an Acura board and running his mouth about how he's gone from Acura. I mean, thats a decision he made. I'm fine with it. But how about he goes to the BMW board and talks about how good of a decision he made? Makes sense right?

All he's doing here is angering the board members, trying to persuade them they made a bad decision. I just don't get it.....
I don't think anybody wants you to feel like you made a bad decision. I can't imagine former Acura owners trying to make an Acura owner look or feel bad. Many of us will probably be back owning Acura's. It is a fine auotmobile and has solid attributes that make it worthy. As stated I've owned 3 in row. In a complicated world it was a brand I counted on. Very few brands have my trust like that. Tumi is one of them. Acura has reached a cross roads. Tech is a big driver in car buying decisions. I drove a GS 350 yesterday. It has oodles of tech and the interior is rich. I closed the door and was impressed by the heft of it. But you know what? It is underpowered and doesn't feel as good as a TL. However, the one I drove cost 52K and delivered a 21st century tech experience and ride/handling almost as good as a TL.

Have you ever left a woman for good reason but find yourself comparing the women your dating to her? That's the way it is with me, the TL and other cars. I want a solid, sound proofed TL and I want leading tech. I'm thinking the 5G will be the ticket.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Pro

Yeah well regarding the girl thing...

AFter you break up with your g/f, lets say your happy you left for this new girl. Do you call the old girl 6 months down the line and explain your life is so much better you dumped the b*tch?

Stay classy my friends@!
Old 11-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

AFter you break up with your g/f, lets say your happy you left for this new girl. Do you call the old girl 6 months down the line and explain your life is so much better you dumped the b*tch?

Stay classy my friends@!
I think everyone on this thread has been classy except for you. You're the person who called us "idiots". I'm thinking you're not the benchmark for "class" and that your idea of "stay classy" needs some refinement.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Racer

Stay classy my friends@!
the fact that you drive a TL makes me never want to drive one again.. i still believe your a 15 yr old boy trolling all of us.. i sincerely hope i'm right..
BEAR-AvHistory (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Pro

I think everyone on this thread has been classy except for you. You're the person who called us "idiots". I'm thinking you're not the benchmark for "class" and that your idea of "stay classy" needs some refinement.
sure bro, cool story.

i just think its ridic, thats all...
Old 11-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Dude, I'm in North Hollywood. You're in LA. Why don't you PM an address where we can meet? You can bring your "230 lb of pure muscle" and I'll bring my rather shabby body and we can work it out like men. Otherwise shut up!
Old 11-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Pro

Are you threatening me?
Old 11-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
In before the
Old 11-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Pro

Because it sounds like your threatening me? Are you?
Old 11-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Racer

Because it sounds like your threatening me? Are you?
he's not threatening you; he's asking you to meet him for a cup of coffee. he wants to see all 230 lbs of muscle you have to offer..
The following 2 users liked this post by omaralt:
Glashub (11-21-2012), Mr Marco (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Pro

what does that mean?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
what does that mean?
It means put up or shut up so someone can check out your claims. You are either really but silly or a Keyboard Commando. My bets on its the Keyboard Commando.
Glashub (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Racer

what does that mean?
It means he wants you to take off all your clothes, proceed to oil up all 230 lbs of you, and then engage you in mud wrestling. Now tits or GTFO
Glashub (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
You guys sure know how to fuck up a perfectly good thread.

And, surprise, surprise, look who's in the middle of it .... again.

Here's a warning to all:

Stay on topic and quit crapping up other peoples threads. Failure to do so risks bannage .... 'collateral damage' be damned if you're a participant.