Bought a Palladium Metal 2010 AWD/Auto today. Question about protection products.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Bought a Palladium Metal 2010 AWD/Auto today. Question about protection products.

I must say that this a color that must be seen in pictures. Quite lovely. I had a pretty good experience. I negotiated as much as I could through email and was disappointed that I couldn't get a better price. But this is Portland, OR, the most medicated city in America according to Forbes. Can't wait until I get back to LA. I tried to negotiate with one salesman and he told me that I was trying to steal from them.

Plus there are only 2 dealers and there were only 2 AWD's so I didn't have much leverage. I got that was made much better by the trade-in value they gave me on my 2005. KBB. The salesmen said that in 20 years he'd only seen one other car that looked as excellent (31k miles). I take care of my stuff.

This leads me to a question about all of the protection products they try to cross-sell - 3m clearmask, Maxxgard, 3m window tint, Microtrack, and 3m Crstalline. Seems to me if my 6 year old Acura was one of the best trade-ins they'd ever seen, then I'm doing it right by waxing 2x a year already. But do want to be sure. Do any of you have any feedback on this stuff. Smells like snake oil but I do have a Zag skin on my iphone that works quite well...so don't want to miss an opportunity to protect if there is something real that is an advancement in the past 6 years.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glashub
I must say that this a color that must be seen in pictures. Quite lovely. I had a pretty good experience. I negotiated as much as I could through email and was disappointed that I couldn't get a better price. But this is Portland, OR, the most medicated city in America according to Forbes. Can't wait until I get back to LA. I tried to negotiate with one salesman and he told me that I was trying to steal from them.

Plus there are only 2 dealers and there were only 2 AWD's so I didn't have much leverage. I got that was made much better by the trade-in value they gave me on my 2005. KBB. The salesmen said that in 20 years he'd only seen one other car that looked as excellent (31k miles). I take care of my stuff.

This leads me to a question about all of the protection products they try to cross-sell - 3m clearmask, Maxxgard, 3m window tint, Microtrack, and 3m Crstalline. Seems to me if my 6 year old Acura was one of the best trade-ins they'd ever seen, then I'm doing it right by waxing 2x a year already. But do want to be sure. Do any of you have any feedback on this stuff. Smells like snake oil but I do have a Zag skin on my iphone that works quite well...so don't want to miss an opportunity to protect if there is something real that is an advancement in the past 6 years.

Thanks.
Congratulations! Sorry but I won't be able to help you on the aftermarket care products offered by the dealer. I didn't buy any. But sounds like you already know how to take care of your car. There are a lot of knowledgable folks in this forum that can give you some good information. Good luck! Oh by the way, I just saw a TL with that color on the freeway the other day. It seemed to change to a different color depending on how the light hit it. It was gorgeous.

Last edited by New2Acura2; 11-14-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by New2Acura2
Congratulations! Sorry but I won't be able to help you on the aftermarket care products offered by the dealer. I didn't buy any. But sounds like you already know how to take care of your car. There are a lot of knowledgable folks in this forum that can give you some good information. Good luck! Oh by the way, I just saw a TL with that color on the freeway the other day. It seemed to change to a different color depending on how the light hit it. It was gorgeous.
Thank you or giving me an observers take. Pictures just don't do the paint justice. What color do you have?
Old 11-14-2010, 01:49 AM
Instructor

Thank you or giving me an observers take. Pictures just don't do the paint justice. What color do you have?
CBP w/ebony interior. Just had it all waxed up and the leather conditioned. Looking pretty sweet right now.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Very nice. Bet it looks spectacular.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:21 AM
Instructor

Very nice. Bet it looks spectacular.
Yes it does. But I haven't done any mods yet. So it's still stock. Still looks good but compared to what I've seen in this forum, mines pales in comparison. If you haven't already, check out the photo gallery and look at some of the stuff these guys have done with their cars. I'm truly in awe, lol.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
congratz on the new car!
Old 11-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
dude, seriously....you put 6k miles a year on your car and your worried about how to keep it in excellent condition??

at that miles per year, you could wash it once a month and never wax it, and it will be in excellent contition...

if you car was subject to a real daily driver situation, you would want atleast the clear bra to protect the front end from real life driving...as it is, you put 500 miles a month on your car, while most put over twice that...

Last edited by vinnier6; 11-14-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vinnier6
dude, seriously....you put 6k miles a year on your car and your worried about how to keep it in excellent condition??

at that miles per year, you could wash it once a month and never wax it, and it will be in excellent contition...

if you car was subject to a real daily driver situation, you would want atleast the clear bra to protect the front end from real life driving...as it is, you put 500 miles a month on your car, while most put over twice that...
That all changes in June when I move back down to LA...which is a lot like Dallas...except with mountains ruuning down the middel of it and really bad roads running through the mountains to connect the basin with the valley.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Instructor

That all changes in June when I move back down to LA...which is a lot like Dallas...except with mountains ruuning down the middel of it and really bad roads running through the mountains to connect the basin with the valley.

Haha. I live in southern california too. If you commute to work like I do, you can really rack up the miles. I put 242k miles on my last car in 10 years with regular daily driving.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
very nice....i wish i would have done the clear bra, that would be my recommendation for you...otherwise, keep doing what your doing, enjoy that car, i love mine!!
Old 11-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Congrats on your new car. I just got a 11 Grigio/Taupe myself two weeks ago. Regarding the dealer add-ons, they are not worth it. How do I know? From 1974-1995 I worked in automobile dealerships. I know all about the inner workings of these establishments. The only reason they sell these items is to make a very healthy profit. On a percent basis, the add-ons brings more profit in than the cars themselves. To give you an example, I worked for several years at an Acura dealership. We sold an aftermarket "Protection Package" for $595. The package included an exterior wax treatment, and carpet spot protection. The package also included a five year warranty against acid rain etchings, bird dropping etchings, and bug etchings. The customer was given a bottle of "renewal" treatment to apply to the body once a year. What was this magic "protection package"? As far as I could tell, it was wax and a Scotch Guard like material. The renewal bottle smelled just like any car wax you buy at Wal-Mart. Here's the catch. Our total cost to install the product (each car called for one kit provided by our supplier) and labor was $57.00. (I know because I was the Comptroller) We sold it for $595.00. That is a profit of $538.00 or 90%! The average profit we made on the cars was about $1500 or 10%. There is even more to the story. We treated every car that came in. So every customer got the package and did not know it. When they bought the package, we would just wash and vacuum their car, give them the warranty paper work and the renewal bottle. The thing that always got me, almost without exception, the customers would comment how great their car looked after the treatment. So the answer to your question, keep doing what you are doing. The dealership cannot improve on your excellent care.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Linmk2
Congrats on your new car. I just got a 11 Grigio/Taupe myself two weeks ago. Regarding the dealer add-ons, they are not worth it. How do I know? From 1974-1995 I worked in automobile dealerships. I know all about the inner workings of these establishments. The only reason they sell these items is to make a very healthy profit. On a percent basis, the add-ons brings more profit in than the cars themselves. To give you an example, I worked for several years at an Acura dealership. We sold an aftermarket "Protection Package" for $595. The package included an exterior wax treatment, and carpet spot protection. The package also included a five year warranty against acid rain etchings, bird dropping etchings, and bug etchings. The customer was given a bottle of "renewal" treatment to apply to the body once a year. What was this magic "protection package"? As far as I could tell, it was wax and a Scotch Guard like material. The renewal bottle smelled just like any car wax you buy at Wal-Mart. Here's the catch. Our total cost to install the product (each car called for one kit provided by our supplier) and labor was $57.00. (I know because I was the Comptroller) We sold it for $595.00. That is a profit of $538.00 or 90%! The average profit we made on the cars was about $1500 or 10%. There is even more to the story. We treated every car that came in. So every customer got the package and did not know it. When they bought the package, we would just wash and vacuum their car, give them the warranty paper work and the renewal bottle. The thing that always got me, almost without exception, the customers would comment how great their car looked after the treatment. So the answer to your question, keep doing what you are doing. The dealership cannot improve on your excellent care.
LOL What a racket.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know its a matter of a fool and his/her money being easily departed...

But I don't know how people live with themselves in that line of work. The fact that its even legal to pull that kind of crap is still amazing to me. I liken this behavior to the jerks that pull off pyramid schemes, at least in terms of indecency.

I am not referring to you, as you seem to have been doing something indirectly related to such a scam. I guess there are no religious people in the car sales business.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow! Wow! Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to right that. I supected as much but you just validated it.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Wow! Wow! Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to right that. I supected as much but you just validated it.
Totally agree. That's some good info right there. Straight from someone who knows.

BTW-I just realized that you're the same guy that posted below about waiting for the 2012 refresh or going for the 2010.

How did you reach your decision? I'm curious.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, truth be told, even the car only had 31K on it; it was a bit of a lemon from the get-go. It was in the shop about 12 times the first year for various rattles and squeaks. But ironically enough those trials made me loyal to the Acura brand. The reason being Santa Monica Acura went to extraordinary lengths to make things right. The fixed every thing. So did the Dick Hannah guys up here in Portland. I figured I got a car with issues but anybody could from any brand but I had experiential evidence that Acura stood behind its product. In addition, I've been up in the Northwest where it is gray and rainy 5 months. The black interior feels like it too close in the gray and gloom up here...and I couldn't face another winter driving in the rain in a black interior. Hence the Palladium/Taupe 2010 TL.

I got to test drive this car first and it's perfect.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
very nice....i wish i would have done the clear bra, that would be my recommendation for you...otherwise, keep doing what your doing, enjoy that car, i love mine!!

Speaking as someone who drives about 20-25,000 miles per year, I put a clear bra on my 3G and am not sure if I'll do it again. Maybe I will. From a distance, it still doesn't look bad, but up close, it's got a clear coat that gets scratches just like paint does. It's protected the paint, I admit, but you have to wax it and take care of it otherwise, it'll look just as scuffed as the paint. I got lax with this after about 4 years of ownership and there are dried bug splatters on it and the film itself has a fogged look to it in places. I've also heard that it probably should be replaced every 3-4 years (but I'm not sure about that). I'd be scared to remove it for fear of dislodging paint chips or something beneath it. As crazy as it may sound, whether to get one installed or not will be one of the biggest decisions I'll make on my next car since it's really the only "mod" I'll do. lol.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Congrats to you and the other new owners.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:29 AM
Cruisin'

3M works

3M clear bra does work, had it on my 06 TL and when I traded it in for my RL, didn't have a single paint chip in the front area of car (hood, fenders, mirrors, bumper), just traded my RL for a new 2010 TL SH-AWD w/TECH last week and will do the same for this car in a few. It's true that without care, it can start to haze a bit, but it doesn't show much on lighter colors, like Palladium (my color).
Old 11-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Put Venture Shield on it yesterday after much research. Can't go wrong either way but imo VS has as many pro's and fewer con's. A couple of bubbles formed but they say those will go away in abut 2 weeks and if not thet'll fix it. I was worried becuase as luck and Portland wouild have it....it started raining really hard as soon as I left the installer.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Cruisin'

Very Nice!

It will protect your paint well, especially if you follow other cars a little closer than you should. I'd definitely keep an eye on the bubbles, they shouldn't be there at all after proper install.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Put Venture Shield on it yesterday after much research. Can't go wrong either way but imo VS has as many pro's and fewer con's. A couple of bubbles formed but they say those will go away in abut 2 weeks and if not thet'll fix it. I was worried becuase as luck and Portland wouild have it....it started raining really hard as soon as I left the installer.
How much do those things cost?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Burning Brakes

How much do those things cost?
Cost me $625 for bumper, 1/4 hood, grill, headlamps, mirrors, door handles, etc. Had the car three days and we already found a pockmark on the grill. Glad I did it.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Cost me $625 for bumper, 1/4 hood, grill, headlamps, mirrors, door handles, etc. Had the car three days and we already found a pockmark on the grill. Glad I did it.
Thanks for the info. Good thing you had that done before you head south, lol. Probably will be an interesting drive especially through the grapevine. SH-AWD will come in real handy, lol.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info. Good thing you had that done before you head south, lol. Probably will be an interesting drive especially through the grapevine. SH-AWD will come in real handy, lol.
I know there are alot of people who hate LA and everybody thinks California is in trouble (it is) but I lived there for so many years that I'm well aware that California has always been in trouble and that LA can be a great place to live. Every place has its pro's and con's.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Instructor

I know there are alot of people who hate LA and everybody thinks California is in trouble (it is) but I lived there for so many years that I'm well aware that California has always been in trouble and that LA can be a great place to live. Every place has its pro's and con's.
Who hates LA? Not me. Been living here in Cali for 30 years. The pros and this is big for me. The Southern California weather.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:50 PM
5th Gear

Talking

I can second *everything* you said. In the 1980's I worked for a company that marketed these products, along with rust proofing, fabric protectant, Etc., exclusively to car dealers. Good products, but no better than the products sold at your local auto parts store for a few dollars. The fancy warranties were a farce... A rip-off... A waste of time! Lots of fine print and weasel-words. Almost no claims were ever paid. The owners and dealers used to laugh and joke about how much money they were raking in from the rubes who bought the stuff. Many dealers used to pack every car on the lot, and attempt to force people to buy the package if they wanted the car. It got so bad by 1987 that Several state AG's finally put an end to that practice, but dealers continued to try to strong-arm customers into buying the package. I just bought an WDP Acura TL, and to the credit of my local Acura dealer, he did not try to sell me any of this garbage.