Appropriate Coolant Level?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:46 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Appropriate Coolant Level?

Hey there.

I have a 2 month old TL (with navigation system) and noticed that the coolant level within the reserve tank (overflow reservoir) is a hair higher than the MIN mark when the engine is cold. The dealer says that this coolant level is OK. However, the owner's manual states the following:

p.550: "If the coolant level in the reserve tank is at or below the MIN line, add coolant to bring it up to the MAX line."

While the next page in the manual states the following:

p.551: "6. Pour coolant into the reserve tank. Fill it to halfway between the MAX and MIN marks."

What is the correct coolant level within the reserve tank when the engine is cold; halfway between MIN and MAX or at the MAX line?

Thank you for your clarification.

Chick-Chick
Old 12-21-2009, 03:04 AM
Instructor

Same w/ mine, then I noticed the reservoir cap was loose. not sure if the cause but fluid level stable since. The reservoir is an overflow collector so the dealer is correct, but I'm concerned that more water evaporated and hence heat protection in the summer is down. I might add some distilled water in the summer....
Old 12-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
The marks mean what they say. As long as the level is between MIN and MAX, you are fine. Usually, when cold, the level will be closer to the MIN. When hot, because of expansion, the level will be closer to MAX. You can't put too much in because it will just overflow onto the ground. It won't hurt the car.

I usually top mine off when cool right up to the MAX line but it will self adjust when it gets hot and the excess flows out.

Does that help?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have to use "Acura Coolant" from the dealer? If not, which brand(s)?
Old 12-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know what brand/type coolant is in it currently. But my level is less than MIN and I want to top-off the reservoir to something between Max and Min. Can I use any coolant ?
Old 12-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by akash4u
I dont know what brand/type coolant is in it currently. But my level is less than MIN and I want to top-off the reservoir to something between Max and Min. Can I use any coolant ?
No,use the honda coolant or equivalent. Anything else can void warranty.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chick-Chick
Hey there.

I have a 2 month old TL (with navigation system) and noticed that the coolant level within the reserve tank (overflow reservoir) is a hair higher than the MIN mark when the engine is cold. The dealer says that this coolant level is OK. However, the owner's manual states the following:

p.550: "If the coolant level in the reserve tank is at or below the MIN line, add coolant to bring it up to the MAX line."

While the next page in the manual states the following:

p.551: "6. Pour coolant into the reserve tank. Fill it to halfway between the MAX and MIN marks."

What is the correct coolant level within the reserve tank when the engine is cold; halfway between MIN and MAX or at the MAX line?

Thank you for your clarification.

Chick-Chick
If the coolant is overfill, it is ok. The fluid will spill out the reservoir itself if the pressure becomes to high.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by akash4u
In reality, a good quality, name brand, all engine coolant would work. However, in an abundance of caution, not to give the dealer a reason to question proper maintenance, and, since we do it so seldom, I prefer to spend a couple extra bucks and get the Honda/Acura coolant. It is premixed at 50/50 so you don't dilute it.

The owner's manual says it is OK to use something else temporarily until you can flush it and replace with Honda/Acura.

I have my own doubts it makes a big difference. But with a $40k car, why mess around?
Old 12-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dwest1023
If the coolant is overfill, it is ok. The fluid will spill out the reservoir itself if the pressure becomes to high.
There is no pressure in the reservoir. Liquid only flows to the reservoir if pressure builds in the radiator. That will happen normally with a hot engine, in which case the excess coolant flows into the reservoir. During such times, the reservoir level will rise.

Then, when the radiator cools down and pressure drops, the reverse happens. A vacuum is created and coolant is siphoned from the reservoir back into the radiator and the level in the reservoir drops. Think of the reservoir as a cushion or buffer. Without it, the expanded liquid overflow from the radiator would run on the ground.

Coolant reservoirs are relatively new to automobiles. They came around about 20 years ago or so.

Last edited by Xpditor; 12-21-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, I just checked mine and it's at the Min level and the car has sat in the garage for 24 hour. I'm just going to ask them to add a smidgeon more the next time I bring it in for service. No sense spending $$$, buying a gallon of the stuff, and use 6 oz.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Xpditor
There is no pressure in the reservoir. Liquid only flows to the reservoir if pressure builds in the radiator. That will happen normally with a hot engine, in which case the excess coolant flows into the reservoir. During such times, the reservoir level will rise.

Then, when the radiator cools down and pressure drops, the reverse happens. A vacuum is created and coolant is siphoned from the reservoir back into the radiator and the level in the reservoir drops. Think of the reservoir as a cushion or buffer. Without it, the expanded liquid overflow from the radiator would run on the ground.

Coolant reservoirs are relatively new to automobiles. They came around about 20 years ago or so.
Well aware, I just worded it wrong. The coolant will still run on the ground if the reservoir fillls all the way up until the correct level is obtained. That is why I say in makes not difference if the reservoir is above the full mark.

Last edited by Xpditor; 12-21-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dwest1023
Well aware, I just worded it wrong. The coolant will still run on the ground if the reservoir fillls all the way up until the correct level is obtained. That is why I say in makes not difference if the reservoir is above the full mark.
(I know that's what you meant to say. )
Old 12-21-2009, 07:12 PM
4th Gear

Thank you all for the information!

Chick-Chick
Old 12-22-2009, 12:56 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
one thing i never mess around with.... is fluids...

On every Acura/Honda ive owned.... Always use Honda ATF-Z1 and Coolant

They spend millions of dollars engineering these cars, and these fluids.... saving $5-$10 isnt worth compromising the outstanding reliability of my Acuras

Here is some food for through on Honda/Acura coolant

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ifreeze-21171/
Old 12-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Advanced

Coolant is cheap. Honda or Acura branded coolant is the same except for the price. So, do buy some Honda branded coolant in the Honda stealership for example, I think that it does not come in containers of less then 1 gallon but again, it is cheap enough.
For sure, when the engine is cold, top off the expansion dish to the max mark. It makes perfect sense, since the max mark is below the top of the expansion dish which provides space for expansion that will happen when the engine is cold.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Was just checking my coolant level and it is way less than minimum. The car sat in the driveway for 18 hours, should I add more or is that normal?
Old 07-13-2014, 11:54 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
^^^^^

Add more coolant up to the MIN marking, when the engine is cold.