Another Hit and Run

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy Another Hit and Run

Well my whip was hit on the rear bumper. Left the car at the stealership for 2 days for Propeller Shaft replacement. When I picked up the car, I looked around it checking for body damage, but did not check the bumper. I am suffering from a corneal ulcer and couldn't see well with my eye watering.

I wash the car today, and as I wipe down the bumper, I see the damage. Looks like someone backed in to it. There is the round corner bumper mark. That is easy to fix, however, it was hit so hard and on the right angle that the area on the corner where the License Plate rests has kinks in it. No way to fix it. You would have to cut it out and use Fiber Glass.

I always back in and pull out of parking spaces. I park where no one else parks, away from everyone. I park it in the driveway off the street at home. SIGH.

It seems someone backed in to it at the stealership. I just wished I had noticed it sooner. I have been keeping an eye on the area because of LED License Plate Bulb mod and check to see if they still work.

Adjuster will see it Tuesday. I do have OEM Rider on policy. I think the bumper will have to be replaced. I am hoping no damage to the steel beam behind the bumper. Another concern is the paint match. My TL is the only car I really liked. Its the closest I will get to a M5, A6, DB-9, or AMG63. Someone has taken the joy I have owning it.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Sounds familiar. Had a little old lady hit us in the same spot. Fixed it. Then had it happen again in the exact same spot in long term parking at the airport. It's a part of car ownership. If you own something really nice the damage stands out more.

Get it fixed. Odds are in your favor now.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry about the damage. That really must reduce the trust you can give anyone touching your car.

I had a similar incident last month. My car was also in the dealership for a propeller shaft replacement, along with the leather seat bottom, and battery replacement, and when I got it back, they gave me the fob back and I guess the thought I would just drive off like so many people do. I walked around the car (after I checked the odometer for miles put on it) and found they didn't connect the battery properly, and there was a scratch on my driver's door. It was all the way down to metal. They fixed my battery cable, and told me that they would fix the scratch. I brought the car back to them a few weeks later when it was no longer ugly, wet weather, and 2 days later I got the car with absolutely so sign of rework. They had the paint sanded down to metal in about a 6" circle, primed, painted, cleared, and buffed. The metallic silver paint looks like it never happened.

I never leave a service visit without looking real close. I even get down on the ground and check out the bottom as best I can. But as poor as my eyesight is getting, it doesn't sound like mine is as compromised as yours. Hopefully modern medicine can do something for you.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:43 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry to hear about the damage, i owned parking tickets and i pay them usually as soon as i get them. i have three cars and i let one of my friends use one of my cars and he got a few tickets but never told me. after i get a letter in the mail i asked him and he told me that he would take care of it but long story short he never did cuz he fought. the Marshall came and towed my '12 TL AWD 6MT from the drive way. after paying to get it out i ask them how they towed it and he says a flat bed if its AWD. i walked around the TL and i found my front right rim with a deep Scratch and they gave me a hard time about how it got there. im thinking that my TL was towed as if its a FWD car. Still looking for more damage thinking of taking it to the dealer to check the transmission.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:16 AM
Advanced

The whip is in the shop for a bumper and steel beam replacement. Should have her back in a few days. In the meantime, I am stuck with a Ford Edge.

I am used to the TL's great driving characteristics. Now, I am stuck driving a "Saint Bernard" down the road. The MicroSux/Sync Entune System is buggy. However, the wife loves the Edge. Its her style. She would take it over the RDX/MDX.

Enjoy your TL's. I am suffering from severe separation anxiety. Ya never know what ya got till you don't have it for a few days.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:33 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd talk to the dealer, & have it out. if your car is cherry, then you got nothing to lose. i always look over my car. those bastards do what they want. i turn off the radio, & a/c, but when i get my caR back, its always on.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Vent on brotha! It's a shitty feeling. That's why we have this forum to talk about our beloved TLs. Now I'm going to make sure I check my car after I get it serviced.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Lead Foot Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe this will make you feel better...

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/got-present-dealer-today-my-car-hit-864075/
Old 03-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by robphelan
maybe this will make you feel better...
Nope. It would be worse. I know now I can't leave my whip at the stealership overnight. I am apprehensive of leaving my ride at the body shop. But, I gotta repair the bumper, so...