Acura June Sales

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Acura June Sales

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/hon...rcent-in-june/

WOW Honda and Acura are stinging a little. TL sales down again. I hated getting away from Acura, but the sales numbers do not lie, they make a solid car, but need to get something people want. Sure TL sales are decent, but how does a 4 year old G Sedan beat the TL by almost 1,000 cars a month lately. I know Infiniti is throwing incentives at people, but still the G is selling better than ever.The TSX and MDX are saving Acura's butt right now. How do they even justify building the RL? Its a shame the ZDX is not doing better, it is a handsome vehicle.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:43 AM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
House sales are down too..... maybe we shouldnt buy houses because of this... OMG!!!!! Computer sales are down..... so are boats. Holy crap, this must mean the end is coming.... Damn YOU ACURA, its alll your fault!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
House sales are down too..... maybe we shouldnt buy houses because of this... OMG!!!!! Computer sales are down..... so are boats. Holy crap, this must mean the end is coming.... Damn YOU ACURA, its alll your fault!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice sarcasim, but the reality is everything else in the TL class is up over last year which was one of the worst auto years ina long time, so no the sky is not falling, but Acura does have issues, hell the MDX is up 50% and that is priced higher than a TL. I think the argument that TL sales were hurting becasue of the economy is partially valid, but clearly not the issue. For every person I had tell me my TL was a nice car I had 4-5 others that we less than complimentary on the styling. I loved driving the car, but the looks never did it for me. Acura needs more than the typical MMC refresh to salvage the TL, although maybe they are happy with these numbers. They also need to do something with the RL and soon. If they had a decent RL I would still be with Acura.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:56 AM
COTM Coordinator

I have a strange feeling that the RL is being replaced by the TL and a new smaller class car will be made by Acura. The TL is a a boat as it is, I couldnt imagine Acura making a larger vehicle. If so, ti would be something comparable in length to the 7 series BMW's.... freakin long.

I do understand that the styling isnt for eveyone, but that goes with a lot of cars. Im not a big fan of the current infiniti M series, but the previous generations were beautiful IMO.

Since I purchased my TL i have seen a growing number of TL's in my area. Not a ton, but enough to notice that they are being purchased.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

I have a strange feeling that the RL is being replaced by the TL and a new smaller class car will be made by Acura. The TL is a a boat as it is, I couldnt imagine Acura making a larger vehicle. If so, ti would be something comparable in length to the 7 series BMW's.... freakin long.

I do understand that the styling isnt for eveyone, but that goes with a lot of cars. Im not a big fan of the current infiniti M series, but the previous generations were beautiful IMO.

Since I purchased my TL i have seen a growing number of TL's in my area. Not a ton, but enough to notice that they are being purchased.
It does seem they want to push the TL more upscale, but that is a difficult trick to pull off usingt he same name. People already have a vision of what a TL is so to take it from a low 30's car to an upper 40's or low 50's car may hurt them. I still think they need to bring back the Legend name and come out with a totally new RL repalcment, call it Legend and be done, or at least retire RL name and use a new name make SL. Although they should get their naming consistent you have RDX, MDX, ZDX and TSX then have TL and RL. It is all these things that make it hard for Acura to get the attention they deserve.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:08 PM
COTM Coordinator

Nissan has the same issue with the Maxima. From some of the reviews I have read the Altima seems to have been the replacement for the Maxima but cheaper.

I dont think it would take much for them to make the TL the flagship of Acura. The TSX sales have increased to that of the previous model TL's and the TL sales have decreased to that of the previous model RL. I can see a coupe coming out to compete with other coupes in the luxury coupe class, but of course at a cheaper price.

Names are names, if youve noticed, most if not all luxury car manufacturers have gone without the name designation and have chosen numbers and letters to name their vehicles. It sounds better.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
The car is ugly - we get it. Do we need another thread to look at numbers of how the car is selling? What does it matter if they sell 2k or 10k cars? From a business perspective, maybe this is what they expected to sell.

Also - I don't need to see a TL on every corner to feel like I made the right purchase - I drove it, I liked it, I bought it.

**This isn't directed at the OP, just in general annoyance**
Old 07-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
WOW Honda and Acura are stinging a little. TL sales down again. I hated getting away from Acura, but the sales numbers do not lie, they make a solid car, but need to get something people want. Sure TL sales are decent, but how does a 4 year old G Sedan beat the TL by almost 1,000 cars a month lately. I know Infiniti is throwing incentives at people, but still the G is selling better than ever.The TSX and MDX are saving Acura's butt right now. How do they even justify building the RL? Its a shame the ZDX is not doing better, it is a handsome vehicle.
One thing that should be mentioned about the Infiniti G is that Nissan was offering (and still is offering) $319/mo lease deals for the sedan. I'm not talking about a base G either, this is one with the Journey and Premium packages.

Also, the TL was not the only car in its class with a drop in sales:

IS: -17.4%
3 Series: -13.8%
ES: -14.1%
A4: -13.8%
TL: -10.5%
MKZ: -14.9%

Of the cars above that did have a drop in sales, the TL's was the lowest drop. Many people are quick to point out that "ugly" styling, no V8/RWD are the main reasons why Acura sales are what they are (up 31% FYI). However, one thing that is always left out is that Infiniti offers EVERYTHING that Acura 'fans' have been complaining about and asking for. In essence, they make the cars that according to members on here, "people want". Yet, they are continuously outsold by Acura by thousands of units every month while offering some of the most aggressive incentives in the industry. Maybe there is more to a car than just the opinions people have on here.

Part of me wonders what people on here would be talking about if TL sales were indeed as good as the 3rd gens. These forums would be DEAD. lol.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Who gives a shit!
Old 07-07-2010, 01:31 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think it will improve soon...
Old 07-07-2010, 01:33 PM
COTM Coordinator

Lol exactly. I laugh at these threads.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Racer

@KeithL - if the car there in your profile pic is what your driving (new M i think) that front mug shot you got makes our TL's look like GOLD - that must be one of the ugliest fronts I have seen on a car. It looks like a friggin dog.

Second - if you don't own or drive a TL and only bash it, why are you even on this forum? Doesn't the Infiniti forum have enough to talk about?

Third - people who buy the new TL are leaders, thats how I see it, not followers, and in a few years, the styling of all cars will be something on the wild side, but will become the norm. Now that you see more and more of the 4G TL, the 3G looks so outdated next to it and "plain" compared to the 4G.

Its all subjective to what you like - not what others like, atleast not for me, I get heads turning checking my car out all the time still, and its been out for such a long time now.

When do you see people turning to look twice at an Infiniti C-Class or 3 Series ? Never really because they are on every street corner at every traffic light.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:03 PM
COTM Coordinator

In keiths defense, he owned a 4g TL and traded for the Infiniti.

Same as petec stated, I saw the car, liked the car and bought the car. Not leased with the intention of trading for something else, but financed because this is the car I wanted because I liked it.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by petec2010
The car is ugly - we get it. Do we need another thread to look at numbers of how the car is selling? What does it matter if they sell 2k or 10k cars? From a business perspective, maybe this is what they expected to sell.

Also - I don't need to see a TL on every corner to feel like I made the right purchase - I drove it, I liked it, I bought it.

**This isn't directed at the OP, just in general annoyance**
Old 07-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nissan has the same issue with the Maxima. From some of the reviews I have read the Altima seems to have been the replacement for the Maxima but cheaper.

I dont think it would take much for them to make the TL the flagship of Acura. The TSX sales have increased to that of the previous model TL's and the TL sales have decreased to that of the previous model RL. I can see a coupe coming out to compete with other coupes in the luxury coupe class, but of course at a cheaper price.

Names are names, if youve noticed, most if not all luxury car manufacturers have gone without the name designation and have chosen numbers and letters to name their vehicles. It sounds better.
That was definitely true for the 6th Gen Maxima, but not for the new 7th Gen. Nissan finally has been able to differentiate it and return the Maxima back to flagship status from the Altima. The trick is going to be and see if Nissan screws this up when they bring out the 5th Gen Altima at the end of 2011 and screw it all up again!
Old 07-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
That's Hilarious. I got stopped in a Sam's parking lot by a fly behind business looking woman...her question, "Are you enjoying your Acura TL, a co-worker bought one and seeing yours just made mind up to get one, may I have a look." 3rd woman to tell me the interior looked like creamy peanut butter. I gave her my digits on an Acura business card. And get this she was shopping with her mom...her mom's smiled and told me I had good taste.

All I know is what I told this lady, I enjoy my TL SH-AWD everyday.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I think the cash rebates/incentives ($2500?) just expired the other day for TL's. I've noticed a few more TL's on the road lately. I still hate the beak, but even I'm starting to come around on the looks of the car. Still hanging onto my 3G for now, though, but I'm thinking about waiting for the refresh next year (I think somebody said sometime April? Not sure if that's right or not.)
Old 07-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I think the cash rebates/incentives ($2500?) just expired the other day for TL's. I've noticed a few more TL's on the road lately. I still hate the beak, but even I'm starting to come around on the looks of the car. Still hanging onto my 3G for now, though, but I'm thinking about waiting for the refresh next year (I think somebody said sometime April? Not sure if that's right or not.)
I have said it before, I did not always like the TL, but it is growing on me exterior wise. That said, the interior makes me feel good. From the seats, stereo system, all the techno goodies including the keyless entry, the power and AWD, I love it more every day. I tested the ES350, then the TL, and the TL sold it for me as I like drivers cars. I would have tried an Infiniti G37, but I do not like Nissan products.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
One thing that should be mentioned about the Infiniti G is that Nissan was offering (and still is offering) $319/mo lease deals for the sedan. I'm not talking about a base G either, this is one with the Journey and Premium packages.

Also, the TL was not the only car in its class with a drop in sales:

IS: -17.4%
3 Series: -13.8%
ES: -14.1%
A4: -13.8%
TL: -10.5%
MKZ: -14.9%

Of the cars above that did have a drop in sales, the TL's was the lowest drop. Many people are quick to point out that "ugly" styling, no V8/RWD are the main reasons why Acura sales are what they are (up 31% FYI). However, one thing that is always left out is that Infiniti offers EVERYTHING that Acura 'fans' have been complaining about and asking for. In essence, they make the cars that according to members on here, "people want". Yet, they are continuously outsold by Acura by thousands of units every month while offering some of the most aggressive incentives in the industry. Maybe there is more to a car than just the opinions people have on here.

Part of me wonders what people on here would be talking about if TL sales were indeed as good as the 3rd gens. These forums would be DEAD. lol.
I am truly amazed at how Infiniti subsidizes the car. I got my M37 called my buddy told him I was getting an M37, he called all the acura dealers as he wanted to trade his 07 TL for a 10 TL, noone was offering eveb reasonable deals, I told him Infiniti had great deals he negotiated an awesome invoice plus great number on his trade deal in 15 minutes and picked up his G37 when I got my M37.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wmahmud
@KeithL - if the car there in your profile pic is what your driving (new M i think) that front mug shot you got makes our TL's look like GOLD - that must be one of the ugliest fronts I have seen on a car. It looks like a friggin dog.

Second - if you don't own or drive a TL and only bash it, why are you even on this forum? Doesn't the Infiniti forum have enough to talk about?

Third - people who buy the new TL are leaders, thats how I see it, not followers, and in a few years, the styling of all cars will be something on the wild side, but will become the norm. Now that you see more and more of the 4G TL, the 3G looks so outdated next to it and "plain" compared to the 4G.

Its all subjective to what you like - not what others like, atleast not for me, I get heads turning checking my car out all the time still, and its been out for such a long time now.

When do you see people turning to look twice at an Infiniti C-Class or 3 Series ? Never really because they are on every street corner at every traffic light.
Look at my sig, I have owned 6 Acura TLs probably more than anyone on this forum. Beauty is in the eye of the behodler, some say the new M is ugly, but M sales are up 75%, so if it is ugly is must be less ugly than the outgoing M. And I beg to differ about at least BMW, I see plenty of people look at Bimmers, probably in jealousy. My point was my disspointment that Acura was headed ina great direction witht he TL and now it is more like an inside secret about how good the car is because the styling turned off so many people. I was not trying to start a riot just vent about how I wish Acura were doing better. Honestly I love the M, but I still think my AWD TL was built better.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Intermediate

My only concern would be what the resale value of the car will be 3 to 4 years from now. I'm betting on the reputation of Acura for building solid reliable cars that trade in value will not become an issue.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Instructor

Im also starting to notice more 4G Tl's.....I follow them when I see them....Im sick. Need help.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:14 PM
COTM Coordinator

Youre not sick my friend, the 4G TL fever is not a sickness but rather a blessing lol....
Old 07-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by steetbach
My only concern would be what the resale value of the car will be 3 to 4 years from now. I'm betting on the reputation of Acura for building solid reliable cars that trade in value will not become an issue.
4G TL resale is not good I just traded out and found out. It is not horrible, but I was out of my 3G TLs easier and with better return than the 4G. Honestly the dealer didn't want the TL, he low balled me trying to discourage me from trading it, part of the issue is here in the South AWD is not popular or desirable and it seems other than us enthusiats noone understand SH-AWD benefits vs. traditional AWD. But then I find that Infinit's don;t hold up resale wise as good as Acura's have they tend to delcine a little faster.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I don't know why we do this every month with sales figures especially when there is a thread in Automotive News in the Off Topic section of the forum. I guess I'll leave the thread open since so many of you have responded and the 4G forum is kinda 'slow'.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
It does seem they want to push the TL more upscale, but that is a difficult trick to pull off usingt he same name.
It's not just the name. You can't push the TL upscale without adding luxury features. Winslovtec is flat out wrong about the car; it's not a BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lincoln or Cadillac competitor yet. Y'all know my litany... things that some fanboys respond to with meaningless rejoinders such as "just one more thing to break" (apparently Honda cannot build reliable sunroof deflectors or headlight washers even though every other maker can) or "I'd rather save the $100" (missing the point that they've already paid 400 times that much.)

You can look at the Audi or BMW competitors and rightfully point out that they cost $6K to $11K more, "comparably equipped" (meaning with the same type of Nav, AWD, power, etc.), but then the TL SH-AWD isn't "comparably equipped" - it cannot be had with a quiet sunroof, comfortable head restraints, flat trunk floor, folding seats, solid-sounding doors, usable iPod search function, back heater (rather than just butt heater), padded cubbies, etc.

So it's not just the Acura or TL name preventing the TL from moving up-market. It's that they don't really provide more value - just different value. (Or perhaps they provide more value at the price of less luxury.) And you can't go up-market with that as your calling card.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by steetbach
A car that they can't sell brand new is not going to have a good resale value in three or four years when the cars that are selling well now are also on the market.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:29 PM
COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by TechnoCat
It's not just the name. You can't push the TL upscale without adding luxury features. Winslovtec is flat out wrong about the car; it's not a BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lincoln or Cadillac competitor yet. Y'all know my litany... things that some fanboys respond to with meaningless rejoinders such as "just one more thing to break" (apparently Honda cannot build reliable sunroof deflectors or headlight washers even though every other maker can) or "I'd rather save the $100" (missing the point that they've already paid 400 times that much.)

You can look at the Audi or BMW competitors and rightfully point out that they cost $6K to $11K more, "comparably equipped" (meaning with the same type of Nav, AWD, power, etc.), but then the TL SH-AWD isn't "comparably equipped" - it cannot be had with a quiet sunroof, comfortable head restraints, flat trunk floor, folding seats, solid-sounding doors, usable iPod search function, back heater (rather than just butt heater), padded cubbies, etc.

So it's not just the Acura or TL name preventing the TL from moving up-market. It's that they don't really provide more value - just different value. (Or perhaps they provide more value at the price of less luxury.) And you can't go up-market with that as your calling card.
Since when is folding rear seats a luxury item? Seems more like a utility item if anything. I honestly have not had an issue with the sunroof being loud when its open and it does have a wind deflector (a bigger one than whats on my 03 accord ex-l coupe) Head restraint issues seem to be based on personal experience and it hasnt affected everyone, I for one do not even touch the headrest when Im driving and I drive with my seat in a very upright position. Also, the drivers seat heater does heat the back as well as the seat bottom. the passenger doesnt because of the sensor for the passenger airbag (it says so in the owners manual)

I wouldnt consider Audi in the awesome group mainly due to their engine issues. I would take the TL anyday over any current Audi offered, especially the direct-injected engine equipped ones. Do some research on that and tell me if you would pick an audi over the TL.

Theres one thing that I have noticed from Acura and Honda is their quality. That can be argued against with the older high failure rate 5speed auto trans, but at least Acura tried to help by extending warranties as well as doing some good-will replacements well after warranties have expired.

The carbon build-up on the valves of the Audi engines is not being treated by warranty, and neither is the cam follower issue, or the fragile diverter valve (to name a few of the problems)

Acura is a step ahead in some places and a step behind in some, but then again, so is every car manufacturer.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:31 PM
COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by ggesq
I don't know why we do this every month with sales figures especially when there is a thread in Automotive News in the Off Topic section of the forum. I guess I'll leave the thread open since so many of you have responded and the 4G forum is kinda 'slow'.
thanks, it gives us something to do
Old 07-07-2010, 09:44 PM
COTM Coordinator

By the way, KeithL, i feel like you are posting these types of threads to give some validity to you trading your TL. I could be wrong but thats what it seems like.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Drifting

By the way, KeithL, i feel like you are posting these types of threads to give some validity to you trading your TL. I could be wrong but thats what it seems like.
I've been reading this forum for a few years, and Keith posted positive and negative stuff about the 4G TL even when he owned the car, to be honest. I don't know what his intentions are now, but I always thought the guy was just unbiased and talked about the car from every angle.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:22 PM
COTM Coordinator

I agree that he had an un biased view regarding the TL, but why post sales numbers? I really dont think that anyone cares. Who here has made a post of how grateful they are for the information posted. Granted, it gives us something to discuss.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I've seen more 4G TLs on the road. The looks have definitely grown on me. I think Infiniti is making missteps with it's recent designs. Although the outgoing M was looking a bit stale, they looked better than the new one, in my opinion. The G-coupe went from looking great to just looking like a chick car with very soft edges. The G-sedan is much better compared to the previous generation.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:55 PM
COTM Coordinator

I agree that the G sedan is much better looking than the coupe. I never thought about it the way you put it, but it makes sense that it looks like a chick car.

I may be weird but I loved the 2004 M45's they were so different than anything on the road at the time, and I would still by one if I found a decent one for a decent price.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:48 PM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
I didn't buy my car saying " OH MAN I hope I got the car everyone else got! "
Old 07-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Drifting

I agree that he had an un biased view regarding the TL, but why post sales numbers? I really dont think that anyone cares. Who here has made a post of how grateful they are for the information posted. Granted, it gives us something to discuss.
I'm kind of glad they get posted. I know I may have a shot at a good price if the car isn't selling in case I want to buy. It also makes me think "why isn't it selling, and should I be concerned" (I'm not). And let's be honest, Acura sales numbers is Acura news. The only down side is that every time it gets posted, it's basically the same discussion every time.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:45 AM
Instructor

I like to see the sales numbers. It doesnt effect how happy I am with my car...so I dont have a problem with sales numbers being high or low...Im just a statistic freak of nature.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:40 AM
Suzuka Master

If you look back I have talked about this for some time, I don't need validation about trading my TL. But I have Acura in my DNA having owned 6 of them in 6 years so at heart I am still an Acura fan. I guess a frustrated fan that is still dissapointed that they took such the hit the 3G was and turned out the 4G. Yes I know many like it, and I loved the ride, just the looks never grew on me enough for me to want to keep it. Also if you look I swap cars every year or so anyway, so there was no reason to do an exact in place swap to another 4G AWD at this time. I keep the 4G as long as I did becasue I loved the ride. The new M enticed me to look at swapping out and it finally convinced me to swap. I actually went to Adui to look at an A4 but the local Audi dealers had horrible inventory due to model year change over and the dealer did not seem very interested in locating a car for me. The M deal was super sweet and hard to refuse. Like I have said if Acura and clean up the 4G at MMC and do a sweet Type-S there is a good chance I'll be back for a 2012, I'll be due by then.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:48 AM
Suzuka Master

That was the intention a discussion point, was curious of what other thought. Really look at some of the threads posted on any forum, how much is just to start up a discussion. Like I have said maybe I want Acura to kill the competition too much. I know the styling is polarizing and anyone here that does not see that is putting their head in the ground. Others have posted the sales numbers before I have. I guess the amazing thing to me is really the realization that what ever Infiniti is doing they have continued to grow G sales through all 4 years of the current gen to some really amazing numbers. True Acura is repositioning the TSX and TL and overall Acura still have better numbers than Infiniti and Acura crushes Infiniti in truck/SUV sales. Pretty amazing how well the MDX sells with weak economy and far from cheap fuel. What always amazes me about this and other threads/fourms is the people that flame in with angry responses, I mean it is a disccussion board with tons of threads with numerous opinions from all sides, that is the point after all isn't it? Or did we want the Lemmings fourms?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
I see where Murky is coming from and how it can be viewed as a slam on the 4G TL. When you look the number of negative post on this forum they are from folks who beat the 4G to death. Then when you have former TL owners on here posting not so flattering post about the TL and glowing post about their new vehicles it detracts from the reason for this forum. I wouldn't even go as far as saying the BMW's or Infiniti's look better and when you move up in vehicle class you should be getting more vehicle. As far as the decision making process...I'm a firm believer in that you don't pull the trigger unless you are sure that's the deal you want. Buyer's remorse creeps in, you can call it what you want but that's truly what it is. What ever influenced you to buy the car, peer pressure, trying to follow the crowd, or just to have a new car.

Even folks who made a purchase and are happily satisfied don't want to constantly hear how other don't like like, don't like that...it's like whining, it's irritating. Note I didn't say anyone was whining, just that it gets the result associated with it.

Quick Reply: Acura June Sales