5 spd auto or 6 mt for new tl sh-awd

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009 | 05:16 PM
8th Gear

5 spd auto or 6 mt for new tl sh-awd

Hello guys i am new here on the acurazine forums and would like feedback regarding the 6 speed manual vs the 5 speed auto in the new TL. Knowing it is new i am certain that many have not had the opportunity to try the 6 speed though i would like feedback on performance if available of both transmissions i love manual but worried the tl's resale value would be crushed by this option. Also how much fun is the 5 speed auto, does it hold gears and allow aggressive downshifts? Any info would be great thanks to you all.
Old 10-25-2009 | 05:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well, if you want to be more involved in your driving and tend to drive aggressively, the 6 MT is the only way to go. It's very hard to say at this point how the resale value will be affected since the car is so new. If it's a lease, it won't matter. The 5AT is a dog. It's slow to respond and the paddle shifters don't help much. It's probably the worst AT in its segment, in comparison to Infiniti, BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes. If you must have a AT, I would wait for the 2011 models when the new 6AT is very likely.
Old 10-25-2009 | 05:26 PM
Advanced

There is no question the 6speed along with the AWD cannot be touched, its what makes this TL extra special. I guarantee you if you drive the 6speed you will buy it. The automatic is decent but does not compare to the manual, also the paddle shifters really don't make it fun to drive IMHO. I am coming from a 2007 TLS with 6speed. That car was just limited with FWD too much power for a FWD drive car. If you can find a 6speed to test drive I say buy it right away those cars do not sit on the lot long. I told the dealer that I wanted a 6speed and they found it for me and ordered it. In the end it took me a few days to finally close the deal. Since they had ordered the car already they still agreed to bring the 6speed in because they sell so quickly. There were 3 others interested in the car and I beat out another interested party to purchase the vehicle. I lov it!!!!
Old 10-25-2009 | 05:34 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

6mt ftw.
Old 10-25-2009 | 07:03 PM
Im Broke But Im Ok

the 5 speed auto has balls but the 6speed along with the AWD.....sh*t....u have to get a radar detector if u get that car...
Old 10-25-2009 | 07:39 PM
Racer

Another vote for the 6MT. I just bought a 2010 TL SH-AWD 6MT w/HPT. The availability of the 6MT is the main reason I bought it. I just didn't care for the auto.

Like the others have said, the 6MT is just awesome in this car. It definitely adds a level of connection with the car while driving, you can't really get with the auto. You're best bet would be to try and drive both to be sure.

I wouldn't worry too much resale value with the manual transmission. I traded in an 2006 TL 6MT and the book value for the manual is about $500-600 less than the auto which is pretty negligible for the time I had the car. The few hundred dollars less I got at trade in time was well worth having the manual and getting to really drive it for 4 years.

The car is just awesome with that engine/transmission combo! There were four SH-AWD 6MTs available here in Colorado, but now just three

Last edited by StuartMMVITL; 10-25-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2009 | 08:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by free598
the 5 speed auto has balls but the 6speed along with the AWD.....sh*t....u have to get a radar detector if u get that car...
+1

I love my 6-speed, it's much faster than my '07 TL Type-S I traded in for. And after test driving the 5AT version, it just seemed boring to drive. The 6MT has renewed my enjoyment of driving.
Old 10-25-2009 | 09:15 PM
Im Broke But Im Ok

Originally Posted by petec2010
+1

I love my 6-speed, it's much faster than my '07 TL Type-S I traded in for. And after test driving the 5AT version, it just seemed boring to drive. The 6MT has renewed my enjoyment of driving.
at first i didnt like the 09 TL but now i luv it....its way better than the 3G..even tho i miss my 3G
Old 10-25-2009 | 09:18 PM
Advanced

If I was going to get an automatic I would wait til 2011 when they are supposed to change to 6AT. That should be a much quicker then then 5AT.
Old 10-25-2009 | 09:21 PM
Intermediate

6-Speed all the way

Originally Posted by Transit
Hello guys i am new here on the acurazine forums and would like feedback regarding the 6 speed manual vs the 5 speed auto in the new TL. Knowing it is new i am certain that many have not had the opportunity to try the 6 speed though i would like feedback on performance if available of both transmissions i love manual but worried the tl's resale value would be crushed by this option. Also how much fun is the 5 speed auto, does it hold gears and allow aggressive downshifts? Any info would be great thanks to you all.
I'm biased. I would never own a car I myself drive that is an auto anything. I need three pedals on the floor. In the case of the TL or any other car that I have driven auto or the manual versions, I have never once thought to get an automatic. I worry about resale later. Just my two cents.

Last edited by Khash; 10-25-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 10-26-2009 | 12:16 AM
8th Gear

Amazing response well i am a huge fan of standard cars i was just concerned about resale value and difficulty selling the car in the future as i dont like to lease. I buy it right out feel better owning my cars. Nothing wrong with leasing just imo. Anyhow i am excited to test drive it i will never go back to auto just wanted something more luxury and for the money AUDI does not even compare!
Old 10-26-2009 | 12:17 AM
8th Gear

Want the vehical in black fully loaded nothing less!
Old 10-26-2009 | 12:47 AM
8th Gear

Another quick question not commonly answered by many reviews is the TL more rwd bias in corners only as i am hoping for some tail happy spirited after work drives.
Old 10-26-2009 | 02:07 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Keep in mind that only 5% of all TL's made are 6MT. So I think it would still keep its value very well.

The 6MT model is much faster than the 5AT anyways.

I'd like to know how 6MT + SH-AWD would handle. But I'd imagine that it will be quite difficult to slide the car around as SH-AWD will try to get rid of both understeer and oversteer.
Old 10-26-2009 | 03:04 AM
Drifting

A lot of book values will punish the car for having a 6MT because the dealer knows they can't sell it to just anyone and they suffer a bit at the auctions but on the other hand they are extremely rare and those looking for a used one in a manual usually pay a premium for it vs the auto. Sell it on your own when the time comes, you wont be disappointed. I think the manuals in good shape usually end up on the lot with many possible customers already anticipating it's arrival. The autos sit on the lot with a lot of the same car selling all around it, so the pricing has to be more competitive. Rarity always wins offer what "the book" lists IMO, I don't care what the anyone says.

As for the performance level, there is not much to say. The 6MT gives you launching ability and that little extra push. Handling is probably really no better in the 6MT but it drives and feels as if it is. Someone confirmed that the 6MT drifts when pushed hard enough somewhere around here not too long ago.
Old 10-26-2009 | 11:14 AM
My beer fridge is in

6MT would be my choice. I have the 5AT and love it, the paddles a kind of slow on the upshift. i usually only use them on down shifts when i want to make sure i'm in the right gear for a turn.
Old 10-26-2009 | 11:20 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

^Winstrolvtec makes valid points.

No one can predict the future, but if history holds true, IMHO, the 6spd MT will not take a hit on resale value. Rather you'll find resale value increase. For example, take a look at some of the used manuals TSXs and A4s. They are rare compared to automatics; and as I've personally found out, once a good used manual TSX is on the lot (and usually there is only 1 in an entire region) they are bought up almost immediately.

IMHO, the 6spd MT takes the TL to the top of the class when pitted against the 335xi, A4, S4, and G37. It is a very neutral handling car with great power, almost impossible to under (and over) steer. With the SH-AWD thus far in inclement weather (very heavy rain), it's dam rock solid and stable. I look forward to driving the TL on the snow when it comes soon.
Old 10-26-2009 | 04:34 PM
an adult perspective

Can't help you out with any input on the Auto ... I'm not old enuf to want/need one.
Old 10-26-2009 | 10:56 PM
8th Gear

Wow great info yeah spoke to my local dealer as i am here in toronto canada and he told me that the 6mt are rare and if anything people cant wait to have one. He is seeing an increase in its popularity. I have to wait almost 2 months to drive on as they come in and are sold immediately.
Old 11-24-2009 | 09:10 PM
Life at 6,000 feet. Nice.

I had an '09 Auto TL SH-AWD after having had a 3G MT. I found the automatic boring, to be totally honest, so I traded after only a few months and got a '10 MT. I'm very pleased- I really missed the feel of the manual. I never really "clicked" with the Auto '09... it just felt boring to me, as great a car as it was.

I'm much happier now. Just my opinion!
Old 11-24-2009 | 10:55 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
Handling is probably really no better in the 6MT but it drives and feels as if it is.
The spring rates, dampers and bushings are different for the 6-6 than for the automatic. There might be other undocumented changes that they haven't talked about, but we at least know that those few things are different...so I'd bet the 6-6 handles differently.

I bought a 2010 TL six speed this past Friday.

My last six speed was a 2006 Accord, and I have to say that they've learned a lot since then. The shifter in the 2010 TL is quite smooth, with evidently better synchros, and a nice, short throw.

I would definitely recommend it. :-)
Old 11-24-2009 | 11:12 PM
Drifting

^You're right, there are many changes but I was speaking more in terms of skipad and grip from what has been tested thus far. The guys know I have been waiting over a year just for the 6MT to get the 4G. I should have it if not the end of this month then sometime next month. Thanks for the recommendation anyway, it just more of what many of us have already been saying and defending plus one.
Old 11-25-2009 | 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
The guys know I have been waiting over a year just for the 6MT to get the 4G. I should have it if not the end of this month then sometime next month. Thanks for the recommendation anyway, it just more of what many of us have already been saying and defending plus one.
Let us know when you get one...

It's quite the driver's car, and then some.
Old 11-25-2009 | 09:21 AM
Advanced

All I can say is, I drove the Auto, then the 6 Speed, and after looking at upgrading from my 2005 3G, it took me less than 2 days to find and buy the 6 Speed.

The 6 Speed really allows you to pull out the SH-AWD yaw action due to being able to choose your gear, thus choosing the torque applied.

I would NOT have bought the Auto version of this car.
Old 11-25-2009 | 11:23 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by tach32000
I would NOT have bought the Auto version of this car.
For some of us, there's something not quite 100% with the combination of five speed automatic and the torque characteristics of the tuning.

Maybe the six speed automatic will be different.

But so far very happy w/the 6-6 manual!!
Old 11-25-2009 | 01:14 PM
Racer

The 6MT does allow some serious power-lay at high RPMs (unfortunately the only place this boy-racer engine has power... oh well, at least it has it.) Enough that I was able to do some serious slithering and fishtailing despite the AWD system last night. I don't trust the wheel-torque read-out; this thing drives like an on-demand AWD rather than a real (e.g. Quattro-Torsen) AWD, and then over-compensates when it kicks in, all the while the read-out implies the wheels are pretty even. Feh.

Which means, get the 6MT because it allows you to push the car beyond the other limits and into the three-figure-ticket-cost range. Why get a single violation if you can try for a hat-trick?
Old 11-25-2009 | 03:53 PM
Racer

I think the 6speed manual TL SH-AWD Tech will actually be worth MORE in the long run since there won't be any special programs or discounts compared to what we'll eventually see on the 5AT models. For example, here in Canada, there's a $5000 Cash Rebate on all remaining 09 SH-AWD TL's. I can't imagine there'll be even $500 in factory incentive towards this vehicle. Factory incentives play a huge part in determining what a car is worth in the future.

Transit - which dealer are you speaking with in Toronto?
Old 11-25-2009 | 09:54 PM
Racer

I like the auto. In "D" it is very smooth and comfortable ride.

In "S" if you don't touch the paddle shifters, it is still an auto, but just a much more aggressive auto. You drive around in the 3 - 4,000 RPM range with a lot more torque, not eco friendly but very fun.

In "S" once you touch a paddle shifter then it is like a manual, and you have to shift, the transmission does hold the gears. I know the shifts are not instant, but it is still a great auto.
Old 11-26-2009 | 10:19 AM
Life at 6,000 feet. Nice.

Oh, no question it's an excellent auto- it's an excellent car all the way around (with the possible exception of the front- but that's been discussed since the dawn of time!) The auto is incredible- it's just a matter of taste.

I just prefer the instant reaction to the manual- with all that we rely on, it's nice to have some response to the world that needs attention.

Plus, I get the satisfaction of not being able to lend my car out to just anyone who asks, because they immediately recant when I say, "It's a stick shift." "Oh, never mind."
Old 11-26-2009 | 10:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Litt
In "S" once you touch a paddle shifter then it is like a manual, and you have to shift, the transmission does hold the gears. I know the shifts are not instant, but it is still a great auto.
It might be a great auto, but the one I test drove and the loaner car they gave me Monday (six-cylinder 2009 TL with auto and FWD) both have too much latency for me. It's kind-of like saying that the TL has a big trunk - ummmm... no, only if you're used to Hondas etc. Compared to even the smaller A4 sedan, the TL has a small trunk (and with an odd floor.)

So it's all in what you're comparing to.
Old 11-26-2009 | 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by BWSmith201
Plus, I get the satisfaction of not being able to lend my car out to just anyone who asks, because they immediately recant when I say, "It's a stick shift." "Oh, never mind."
It's a clandestine evil, yet honest feel good reason for not being able to lend out the car.

Old 11-26-2009 | 11:04 PM
8th Gear

Toronto Acura is the dealer i went to. Great vehical though i noticed some understeer through turns i was hoping for more rear wheel action. Ill have to go back again as they were closing and it was a bit late at night. Great replies i am very excited and will no doubt get the manual. My girlfriend will be getting a manual honda fit as her first manual car which is cute she hates autos yet has never driven a manual.
Old 11-28-2009 | 10:17 AM
Racer

Toronto Acura is the dealer i went to. Great vehical though i noticed some understeer through turns i was hoping for more rear wheel action. Ill have to go back again as they were closing and it was a bit late at night. Great replies i am very excited and will no doubt get the manual. My girlfriend will be getting a manual honda fit as her first manual car which is cute she hates autos yet has never driven a manual.
North Toronto Acura or Downtown Acura?
Old 11-28-2009 | 10:26 AM
Grandpa

Great vehical though i noticed some understeer through turns i was hoping for more rear wheel action.
It'll understeer at medium and low speeds with trailing throttle.

You have to accelerate (make sure you know what you are doing!) in order for the car to realise that you want to go through faster.

Like a typical front-bias car, it will oversteer and point the nose quickly if you enter a corner at high speed and lift momentarily. (Don't do this if you don't know what you are doing.)

The exact method of handling any particular corner is going to depend on your skill level and familiarity with the car, and the speed you're carrying through the corner.

Don't play with all this if you don't know what you are doing.
Old 11-28-2009 | 07:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by petec2010
+1

Just like in the Mormon ads featured on this site, another one sees the light!

Seriously, i am very happy for you, may you never be reduced to the condition of the AT denizen again.

BTW i test drove the 6MT, OMG that short-throw trans is hotter than a Brazilian tranny

I truly believe that these 6MT AWD TLs will become collector's cars one day. Too bad the dealer won't deal, he still has the same car on the lot a month later, after he had lied to me that he two other "serious" inquiries and he could put money down that the car would be gone by the end of that week. Godxxmit, are they trying to present that halo effect with you guys too? He told me that i should be happy he would sell it to me at MSRP, since others were selling with markups. He was very friendly and professional though, but stubborn as a Greek mule.
Old 11-28-2009 | 08:31 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Kandiru
Too bad the dealer won't deal, he still has the same car on the lot a month later, after he had lied to me that he two other "serious" inquiries and he could put money down that the car would be gone by the end of that week. Godxxmit, are they trying to present that halo effect with you guys too? He told me that i should be happy he would sell it to me at MSRP, since others were selling with markups.
Well.... I know where you can get a black 6-6 SH-AWD with HPT option for $39.9, if your financing is straight and if you're anywhere near NoVA.

The same place I just got mine w/out HPT for $39.
Old 11-28-2009 | 09:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by George Knighton
Well.... I know where you can get a black 6-6 SH-AWD with HPT option for $39.9, if your financing is straight and if you're anywhere near NoVA.

The same place I just got mine w/out HPT for $39.
That's a helluva deal! Something around $1700 under invoice! I was happy with $500 over invoice, maybe I should've made a road trip to NoVa...

Nice work & nice taste in cars.
Old 11-29-2009 | 01:04 AM
Grandpa

1.9% financing, too. It seems to be a good time to buy these things.
Old 11-29-2009 | 01:08 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

This thread is primed for a poll. Maybe a mod can step in and put one in? 5AT vs. 6MT.
Old 11-29-2009 | 02:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by George Knighton
1.9% financing, too. It seems to be a good time to buy these things.
That it is... I got the 1.9% financing as well, so the 2010 is actually costing me less than the 2006 was.

Quick Reply: 5 spd auto or 6 mt for new tl sh-awd