Old 01-28-2015, 04:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
"Glammed up Honda" LOL
Old 01-28-2015, 07:19 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
you gotta be joking about that part... i could teach a monkey to figure out the IDS.

Let me be more clear. The 4G norm to sport is a quick pull back on the gearshift. Leave it in auto or paddle shift. Click the gearshift back up and your in normal again. I use my sport for passing on the fly. The TLX push button and scroll to the sport or sport plus takes to long for my liking. Then if you are in manual mode you have to scroll back through to jump back to auto. The TL sport mode system is just more to my impatient liking.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
I haven't driven the TLX yet, but I feel as though Acura has sold out on their mid sized luxury sedan class. Combining the TL and TSX in my opinion is equivalent to BMW throwing the M badge on every model line they have diminishing the M divisions mystique (not to mention how the M Power engines aren't even special anymore just beefed up internals and more boost on mass produced motors).

If I spent $45,000 on a loaded TLX (only way to go with Acuras IMO) and I'm at a stop light next to a guy that bought a 4 cylinder base TLX for 15 thousand dollars less, it makes my purchase seem less appealing. They made the spectrum too wide for my liking.
The following 4 users liked this post by Pgr1990:
dwest1023 (02-08-2015), FoxTL (02-20-2015), HeartTLs (02-23-2015), silverTL6 (02-15-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 06:58 AM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Pgr1990
I haven't driven the TLX yet, but I feel as though Acura has sold out on their mid sized luxury sedan class. Combining the TL and TSX in my opinion is equivalent to BMW throwing the M badge on every model line they have diminishing the M divisions mystique (not to mention how the M Power engines aren't even special anymore just beefed up internals and more boost on mass produced motors).

If I spent $45,000 on a loaded TLX (only way to go with Acuras IMO) and I'm at a stop light next to a guy that bought a 4 cylinder base TLX for 15 thousand dollars less, it makes my purchase seem less appealing. They made the spectrum too wide for my liking.
well said - i agree
Old 02-09-2015, 07:53 AM
2009*TL^Sh-awd*Tech

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
^+1
Old 02-09-2015, 08:18 AM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

I am not a fan of the TLX either but wasn't there also a 10-12 grand or so swing in price between the 4G FWD Base and the SHAWD-Advance model ?
Old 02-09-2015, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
I am not a fan of the TLX either but wasn't there also a 10-12 grand or so swing in price between the 4G FWD Base and the SHAWD-Advance model ?
I believe you're correct. The base model (when brand new) of the 4G FWD TL was close to 35k, whereas the top of the line SH-AWD with the advance package was slightly below 46K.

I'd be more concerned that after paying 45k for a vehicle that the styling blends in so much with every other vehicle on the road that I'd have to roll down the window and try to explain to the person in the next lane that I'm actually driving an Acura.

The distinctive styling of the 4G TL leaves no mistake that I drive an Acura, whereas the styling of TLX seems so similar to so many other cars on the road.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DASS
I believe you're correct. The base model (when brand new) of the 4G FWD TL was close to 35k, whereas the top of the line SH-AWD with the advance package was slightly below 46K.

I'd be more concerned that after paying 45k for a vehicle that the styling blends in so much with every other vehicle on the road that I'd have to roll down the window and try to explain to the person in the next lane that I'm actually driving an Acura.

The distinctive styling of the 4G TL leaves no mistake that I drive an Acura, whereas the styling of TLX seems so similar to so many other cars on the road.
I dont have an issue with the exterior styling of the 5G. Its a good looking ride, but to me it feels like an update to the TSX, not the TL. It just doesn't feel nearly as substantial as the 4G TL to me. But I can see how some people would like it. Its just not for me.
The following users liked this post:
FoxTL (02-20-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 08:10 PM
Instructor

So I compared both cars with the spoiler and spare tire as the only added options and this is the price discrepancy.

4G TL('12) $35,705-$45,185
5G TLX('15) $31,445-$46,486

4G- $9,480
5G- $15,041

Shows the difference from the TL being an independent model line to the TSX being combined.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
So I compared both cars with the spoiler and spare tire as the only added options and this is the price discrepancy.

4G TL('12) $35,705-$45,185
5G TLX('15) $31,445-$46,486

4G- $9,480
5G- $15,041

Shows the difference from the TL being an independent model line to the TSX being combined.
You also have to remember that the jump in prices reflects a huge jump in tech additions. The Lane Keeping Assist, Blind Spot Monitoring, etc aren't going to be cheap features, and to boot you can't find the LKAS on a BMW yet the stupid steering just vibrates on a 100K car!

Plus the new SH-AWD system is more expensive because it is lighter to help improve fuel consumption. As well I've heard its be reworked to deliver much less drive-train losses compared to before. (30% with the 2005 RL, hopefully around 15-20% now)

Also this logic of a difference in the top vs lowest price paid doesn't make sense.

You can spend 33K on a 3-Series or spend upto 60+K on a 3-series fully optioned out. The 5-series is no different, starts at 50K and can be optioned to well over 100K.

The biggest issue here is that the TLX has never been viewed from the right perspective. Acura is doing the same thing BMW is, same body/chassis for a particular model however different engine options. Acura doesn't offer as much as BMW but it's a start in the right direction. I'd bet soon there will be a hybrid TLX too!
FoxTL (02-20-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 11:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance
You also have to remember that the jump in prices reflects a huge jump in tech additions. The Lane Keeping Assist, Blind Spot Monitoring, etc aren't going to be cheap features, and to boot you can't find the LKAS on a BMW yet the stupid steering just vibrates on a 100K car!

Plus the new SH-AWD system is more expensive because it is lighter to help improve fuel consumption. As well I've heard its be reworked to deliver much less drive-train losses compared to before. (30% with the 2005 RL, hopefully around 15-20% now)

Also this logic of a difference in the top vs lowest price paid doesn't make sense.

You can spend 33K on a 3-Series or spend upto 60+K on a 3-series fully optioned out. The 5-series is no different, starts at 50K and can be optioned to well over 100K.

The biggest issue here is that the TLX has never been viewed from the right perspective. Acura is doing the same thing BMW is, same body/chassis for a particular model however different engine options. Acura doesn't offer as much as BMW but it's a start in the right direction. I'd bet soon there will be a hybrid TLX too!
The difference in pricing works when your perspective is from just comparing the TL to the TLX. Comparing it to a German premium brand is ridiculous because Acura is doing nothing like BMW. That is just comparing apples to oranges. BMWs and every other premium European brand range in price so drastically because of the a la cart optioning and the vast amount of customization you have to choose from, right from the factory. It is a good thing that their cars fluctuate in price so much, because you can make a lightly equipped $40,000 3 series look like a piece of garbage next to a decked out $58,000 335i and I guess my point with the TLX is it is just impossible to do the same from lack of optioning.

The 3 series (best base to use as an example) now has, between diesel and petrol, around 5 different engine options in the US. The 3 series BMWs starting price is literally an engine frame and steering wheel. The 3 series doesn't even come with real leather, that is a package. The car doesn't come with xenon's, that is a package, The car doesn't come with satellite radio, that is a package etc etc etc. Any 3 series you've ever seen on a dealership lot NEVER reflects the starting price because nobody would ever purchase the bare bones base models. Go to an Acura dealership youre guaranteed to find a base model of probably any model line. You pay for the premium brands just like at a high end restaurant for the a la cart menu they offer (which IMO is ridiculous because packages just include everything you want at a much discounted price for the obvious reasons) These premium brands have been this way for a long time and their prices have always varied to extremes.

While Acura is combining two model lines BMW, Audi and Mercedes are extending their model line. BMW went from just having a 3 series, 5 series, 7 series, and an X5 to a 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,x1,x3,x4,x5,x6,i3,i8 and several other I'm sure I'm missing.

The right direction for Acura would have been to extend the model lines and now they have literally gone backwards by dropping one.
The following 5 users liked this post by Pgr1990:
csmeance (02-11-2015), DASS (02-11-2015), FoxTL (02-20-2015), hadokenuh (02-11-2015), HeartTLs (02-23-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 11:54 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
The difference in pricing works when your perspective is from just comparing the TL to the TLX. Comparing it to a German premium brand is ridiculous because Acura is doing nothing like BMW. That is just comparing apples to oranges. BMWs and every other premium European brand range in price so drastically because of the a la cart optioning and the vast amount of customization you have to choose from, right from the factory. It is a good thing that their cars fluctuate in price so much, because you can make a lightly equipped $40,000 3 series look like a piece of garbage next to a decked out $58,000 335i and I guess my point with the TLX is it is just impossible to do the same from lack of optioning.

The 3 series (best base to use as an example) now has, between diesel and petrol, around 5 different engine options in the US. The 3 series BMWs starting price is literally an engine frame and steering wheel. The 3 series doesn't even come with real leather, that is a package. The car doesn't come with xenon's, that is a package, The car doesn't come with satellite radio, that is a package etc etc etc. Any 3 series you've ever seen on a dealership lot NEVER reflects the starting price because nobody would ever purchase the bare bones base models. Go to an Acura dealership youre guaranteed to find a base model of probably any model line. You pay for the premium brands just like at a high end restaurant for the a la cart menu they offer (which IMO is ridiculous because packages just include everything you want at a much discounted price for the obvious reasons) These premium brands have been this way for a long time and their prices have always varied to extremes.

While Acura is combining two model lines BMW, Audi and Mercedes are extending their model line. BMW went from just having a 3 series, 5 series, 7 series, and an X5 to a 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,x1,x3,x4,x5,x6,i3,i8 and several other I'm sure I'm missing.

The right direction for Acura would have been to extend the model lines and now they have literally gone backwards by dropping one.

Well said
Old 02-11-2015, 01:40 PM
Drifting

All of the nonsense with options that other car manufacturers "offer" is why I always chose Honda/Acura to begin with. I knew if I was getting a Tech package, I was pretty much getting everything they offered at a decent price. I hate that you have to get like 3 or 4 different "packages" to get other cars equipped up to a tech TL.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
the TLX is definitely an upgrade for the TSX, but not so sure it's an upgrade for the TL regardless the specs
MisterZDX (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 08:30 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
the TLX is definitely an upgrade for the TSX, but not so sure it's an upgrade for the TL regardless the specs
Totally agree. When I owned a 4G TL it felt more like a full size luxury sedan than the TLX, which seems more like an entry level premium sedan. Hell, if I were in the market for a sedan right now, I would probably choose the Accord Touring over a TLX. I wouldn't have even dared cross shopped the last generation Accord when I was shopping for my 4G TL.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
The Accord has been cross shopped with the TL and now the TLX for years. Don't fool yourself. It's not a recent phenomenon.

There are aspects of the TL that the TLX didn't retain but then there are other improvements, namely tech features, that the TLX has that the TL did not. Not even gonna discuss looks...

Last edited by ggesq; 02-12-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ggesq
The Accord has been cross shopped with the TL and now the TLX for years. Don't fool yourself. It's not a recent phenomenon.

There are aspects of the TL that the TLX didn't retain but then there are other improvements, namely tech features, that the TLX has that the TL did not. Not even gonna discuss looks...
Key word..."I". I said "I" wouldn't have dared cross shopped the last generation TL with the Accord. I made no reference to the Accord and TL never being cross shopped in the past by others. I was only speaking for my personal situation.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
KBB Good condition
2005 Acura TL Auto Navi 120,000 - $6,968
2005 Accord EX-L 3.0 Auto Navi 120,000 - $7,169

With a 6 speed, Brembos and LSD the TL would hands down more fun to drive car even though it may not have held it value in a cross shopping exercise.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:16 PM
Drifting

That's fair. Although I will say the difference between the Accord(which has really taken a step up recently) and the TLX is much less than what it was with the 3G and 4G TL's.
As far as looks, no doubt the TLX is a sharp looking car on the exterior. Definitely more appealing than the 4G to many, for me though its the interior and drive I feel where it comes up short. Just my biased 4G owner opinion
The following 2 users liked this post by SilverJ:
FoxTL (02-20-2015), MisterZDX (02-16-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 07:17 PM
Senior Moderator

That's fair. Although I will say the difference between the Accord(which has really taken a step up recently) and the TLX is much less than what it was with the 3G and 4G TL's. As far as looks, no doubt the TLX is a sharp looking car on the exterior. Definitely more appealing than the 4G to many, for me though its the interior and drive I feel where it comes up short. Just my biased 4G owner opinion
And I'll respectfully disagree. In my opinion, the TL and now the TLX has always relatively had more than the Accord in every version to justify the price difference between the two. Sure the Accord has stepped up its game but so has the TLX.

Last edited by ggesq; 02-13-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:04 PM
Racer

And I'll respectfully disagree. In my opinion, the TL and now the TLX has always relatively had more than the Accord in every version to justify the price difference between the two. Sure the Accord has stepped up its game but so has the TLX.
I agree when comparing past generations, but for the average person shopping today with a 32k budget, the Accord Touring sure would make a better buy than a base TLX. Past generations there was a bigger price gap between the top of the line Accord and base TL. And I know what you're thinking, why compare the top of the line Accord with a bast TL/TLX, but that's how some shoppers think. Some people would rather have the loaded Honda, whereas others would rather have less features but the Acura badge, still within the same price point.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Any data to back up that claim or are you just giving your opinion?

Top of the line Accord in 2012 maxed out right at 32k and a base TL same year started at 35k.

Last edited by ggesq; 02-17-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:32 AM
Drifting

It may be harder to compare now. Top of the line Accord in 2012 was a 6 cylinder, lowest price base TL was also a six cylinder. Not the case anymore.
MisterZDX (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator

It's just an extra box (V6) that is checked in the Accord column. Yet you guys forget all the other boxes checked in the Acura column....

Last edited by ggesq; 02-17-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:14 PM
Racer

And back to the topic....4G vs TLX, not Accord
Old 02-17-2015, 02:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MisterZDX
And back to the topic....4G vs TLX, not Accord
Were in the 4G Forum right ?
OK . 4G is better. end of story .
MisterZDX (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Waiter? Can I have more Kool-Aid here please?

Last edited by ggesq; 02-17-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:22 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Were in the 4G Forum right ?
OK . 4G is better. end of story .
You should be the 4G Mod...
Old 02-17-2015, 07:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
There is no comparison between the TLX and the 4G SH-AWD. The 4G is the superior car if you enjoy driving. Did everyone not see the motor trend car of the year segment on the TLX? Here's the link for your reading pleasure:

2015 Motor Trend Car of the Year Contenders, Finalists - Motor Trend Page 9

Here's a quick quote that pretty much sums up what most of us 4G'ers feel:

The TLX also struggled in Performance of Intended Function. Judges found a bit too much Honda DNA in the car and not enough uniquely Acura design and engineering. The words "glammed-up Honda" were uttered. Plus, the sporty sedan's handling is a letdown. While both models turn in sharply, both quickly give up to heavy understeer mid-corner. The front-drive four-cylinder is a bit more nimble, and the all-wheel-drive V-6 could be forced around a corner by flooring the gas, but neither is as fun to drive as either of the cars the TLX replaces.

I wonder how the TLX SHAWD might compare to the TL SHAWD if both had the same tires?

didn't they cut costs on the tires w/ the TLX?
Old 02-20-2015, 07:26 PM
Senior Moderator

^ yes.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:56 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test drove a fully loaded TLX SH-AWD 6. There were 3 things that bothered me about it. The first was the engine shutoff at lights, reminded me that I never really want to own a hybrid of any sort. It seemed kind of annoying given the minor increase in gas mileage it provides.

Number 2 was the lack of shifter, with my previous TL I got in the habit of dropping into sport mode when 'needed' to get some extra power.

Last thing was the size, I don't know if I was imagining things or not but it certainly seemed like cabin space was much smaller than the 4G, which didn't end up being what I was looking for.

All in all other than those things it was an OK car, there were some definite highlights, such as the transmission did feel very smooth, but it was easily forgettable.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by acupower
I can only comment on the design which I don't really like. The 4G is aggressive - kind of in your face trying peck your eyes out with its beak. I like that. This new tlx with its hidden exhaust pipes...oh man what were they thinking?!. Why hide them pipes, people who have fear of exhausts can just f... right off and buy a prius. No wait, even the prius has a visible exhaust!
They did this to appear more "environmental-ish" is what I was heard. No pipes means no gas right..... I agree though the tips are a nice garnish.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I mostly agree. I had my TL in for service, got a V6 TLX. I LOVE the headlights by far, my favorite thing. But as a TL replacement, no way. As a TSX replacement, maybe. I also love how the down shifting in Sport+, revs it for you, the car will get out of its own way well..
To me though, it felt softer sprung, and the stereo sucked compared to the 4G ELS. I personally didn't like the interior dual display, wasn't for me.

I was perfectly happy getting into my 4G at the end of the day. something about the 4G feels more tight and energetic. Not sure if that makes any sense.

For $45k or more, nah. I'm not swayed.
MisterZDX (02-21-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
I just got a loaner since my car is at the dealer for a possible propeller shaft issue. And they put me in an i4 tech. My first impression is it's noticable more quieter and a very solid ride. I like the infotainment system a lot. There's a little learning curve but nothing out of the ordinary. Engine is very responsive for an i4; especially in Sport+ mode. I like the brake hold feature as well. Things I dislike are the seats are not as comfortable or more like supportive as the 4G. Also it seems like it has more plastic than the 4G. And the steering wheel is not as thick as the 4G SH-AWD; however I don't know if that's the case on the SH-AWD model. It feels just as big on the interior side but a lot more smaller than the 4G on the exterior. And I dislike the fact that the exhaust is hidden. Overall, I'm enjoying it and think they did a good job. I wouldn't trade it in though unless they release a performance model.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:48 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
Definitely agree! This is why I decided to keep my 12 TL w/tech after 3 years rather than move to the TLX.

Quirky things I didn't like:
1. No shift in center console
2. Controls felt awkward to me
3. Inability to program navi by my passenger while driving, causing need to stop on side of highway to do so (I'm aware most other car mfgrs have done this too, not just Acura)
4. Seems to lag when accelerating. IDK, my 4G seems more responsive or "sportier" than the TLX I tested
5. Dual exhaust pipes are gone

I was close to looking for another brand when I decided that I wouldn't find a reasonable alternative to my '12, so I decided to keep it for a few more years and decide again whenever the 6G comes out.