4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2014 Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
None, just the addition of the Special Edition trim level (which will all but replace the base TL).

"Special Edition features include unique 10-spoke, 18-inch alloy wheels, a body-colored decklid spoiler and the appropriate SE badging. Keyless entry with pushbutton start is also standard on the Special Edition model, and the whole package is available in four exterior colors – Bellanova White, Crystal Black, Graphite Luster and Silver Moon – all with a dark leather interior.

Acura will offer the Special Edition with the TL's base engine, a naturally aspirated 3.5-liter V6 good for 280 horsepower and 254 pound-feet of torque, mated to a six-speed automatic transmission."
Old 07-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
None, just the addition of the Special Edition trim level (which will all but replace the base TL).

"Special Edition features include unique 10-spoke, 18-inch alloy wheels, a body-colored decklid spoiler and the appropriate SE badging. Keyless entry with pushbutton start is also standard on the Special Edition model, and the whole package is available in four exterior colors – Bellanova White, Crystal Black, Graphite Luster and Silver Moon – all with a dark leather interior.

Acura will offer the Special Edition with the TL's base engine, a naturally aspirated 3.5-liter V6 good for 280 horsepower and 254 pound-feet of torque, mated to a six-speed automatic transmission."
No MT? I'll pass, gladly wait for the TLX.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ The Special Edition is not available in Manual...the "non" special editions are still available in MT as far I know.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Yes, but only in the all wheel drive with technology package. This was the 6% figure we were speaking about earlier. My guess is that it translates to a little less than one per dealer per month for the next couple of months before they shut production down.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I suspect it will say 2014 on the sticker and that will be the only difference.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I think they should keep the car the same with some minor enhancements that are on the new accord:
1. LED DRLs since some of the common cars (Ford, Kia, Honda Accord, etc... have them)
2. Blind Spot / Lane Change warning as an option or in advanced
3. Parking sensors
4. Collision technology that is on the Accord

Since the TL and the Accord are similar sized sedans some of these bells and whistles can lead some consumers to buy the Accord over the Base TL. Plus the Lexus ES, Infiniti Q50, BMW 5 series, Mercedes C class, and Audi A4 all offer these features. I am surprised the 2014 RDX is missing these features that are on the 2014 MDX.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:25 AM
'16 ILX Premium/A-Spec

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wildeklave
I think they should keep the car the same with some minor enhancements that are on the new accord:
1. LED DRLs since some of the common cars (Ford, Kia, Honda Accord, etc... have them)
3. Parking sensors
Don't see any of this happening for the 2014 model -- Acura will introduce these features (some, all, or more) with the redesigned TL/TLX (whatever it will be called).

2014 looks like an exact carry over of the 2013.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Racer

to not include these in 2014 will be a mistake. If they are offering features on Honda vehicles they should offer them on the Acuras or they risk alienating their customers. As someone who is looking to buy in 6 months (maybe sooner) it may impact my decision.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
to not include these in 2014 will be a mistake. If they are offering features on Honda vehicles they should offer them on the Acuras or they risk alienating their customers. As someone who is looking to buy in 6 months (maybe sooner) it may impact my decision.
If they were to offer those, I'm pretty sure they are gonna do it with the 15 TLX, not the last year of the TL.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The 2014 must be coming out soon because Acura dealers in my area are running low on TL inventory.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
3. Parking sensors

Since the TL and the Accord are similar sized sedans some of these bells and whistles can lead some consumers to buy the Accord over the Base TL. Plus the Lexus ES, Infiniti Q50, BMW 5 series, Mercedes C class, and Audi A4 all offer these features. I am surprised the 2014 RDX is missing these features that are on the 2014 MDX.
The TL with the Advance package already includes the blind spot warning system and ventilated seats....

I wonder when the 2014 TLs will be shipping to dealers. It should be sometime within the next 3 or 4 weeks....
Old 08-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Cygnus_X1
The 2014 must be coming out soon because Acura dealers in my area are running low on TL inventory.
It seems like they didn't build '13s for the last 2-3 months. The '14s start production early next month, so arrivals could be ~late Sept or the first week of Oct.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My dealer mentioned something similar. He said that 2013s had been out of production for a few months now. Ordering closed in June and the last delivery was around July 4. Dealer inventory is very low, I picked up a 2013 SHAWD Tech Black/Umber, which was traded for at another dealership. He could not find any SHAWD Advanced in the area (Eastern PA, Southern NJ area). His stock was about 6-7 FWDs and 2 SHAWD techs black/black.

He also said that there will be a 2014 in limited production beginning the week after Labor Day and ending around Dec. 31. As of 8/15, ordering had not yet opened up. The redesigned 2015 will arrive in the March/April timeframe. He had very little information other than the 2015 will have a hybrid, but not sure if it will be AWD or not and he also didnt know if the hybrid would be available at launch.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Chrisdg19006
My dealer mentioned something similar. He said that 2013s had been out of production for a few months now. Ordering closed in June and the last delivery was around July 4. Dealer inventory is very low, I picked up a 2013 SHAWD Tech Black/Umber, which was traded for at another dealership. He could not find any SHAWD Advanced in the area (Eastern PA, Southern NJ area). His stock was about 6-7 FWDs and 2 SHAWD techs black/black.

He also said that there will be a 2014 in limited production beginning the week after Labor Day and ending around Dec. 31. As of 8/15, ordering had not yet opened up. The redesigned 2015 will arrive in the March/April timeframe. He had very little information other than the 2015 will have a hybrid, but not sure if it will be AWD or not and he also didnt know if the hybrid would be available at launch.
Essentially all is correct and factual. IMO, with the addition of a short run of 2014s, the window for the all new '15 is now wider than the March/April window we've been expecting. I guess we'll know more when they announce the LAST order for 2014s.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
If the 13/14 are the same its just a paperwork change & a new build plate for the car saying 2014.. No need to retool the line.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
If the 13/14 are the same its just a paperwork change & a new build plate for the car saying 2014.. No need to retool the line.
Correct, but there was an underlap between the end of '13 and the start of the (unchanged) '14s.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:45 AM
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisdg19006

This is simply a "business decision" by Honda-since the Accord (which is selling very well with limited incentives) is built in the same factory as the TL which needs large incentives at the moment. Why build more units of the TL at the expense of Accord units is their thought process. We may not like it but right now that makes sense if you think about it.

When the TLX goes into production, Honda will increase the unit split back to the usual ratio.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparently, the 2014 TL's are in production now since the dealer I went to sold me one. He said they should have it in by mid-late September. I ordered a 2014 TL SH-AWD with Advance package.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomcat2048
Apparently, the 2014 TL's are in production now since the dealer I went to sold me one. He said they should have it in by mid-late September. I ordered a 2014 TL SH-AWD with Advance package.
whhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattt?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:11 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
2014 still the same right?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
...And it gets the Mullen Advert treatment and no changes for the 2014 model year.... Surprise?

Yeah, I'm completely mind fucked. Obviously the TLX isn't ready, or else why would they drag the TL on for another model year? Could the 2014 TL only last half a year and then be replaced by the TLX early 2014? Sounds like a big mess to me.

-SE trims mark the LAST year of that model.
-'14 TLX is over due.

So what next? The 2014 Acura TSX? 2014 Acura ZDX? Delayed 2014 Acura ILX Hybrid? Cancellation of the RLX SH-AWD and NSX?

I hope this was a mistake by Acura's nut headed Facebook admins, but how else do you explain the "2014 TL" in the '14 MDX Mullen font we've been seeing and the "Humankind" wording??

"Available Keyless Access System on the 2014 TL allows the machine to conform to humankind, not the other way around."

Everyone commenting on that picture are bitching about it not being the TLX and that no changes were made.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Suzuka Master

It is better for them to do a short run 14 TL rather than try to convince people to buy 13 model when everything else is 14. It is not like it costs them to release a 14 vs. trying to sell a 13 model into early next year, the 14 will be virtually identical to 13 other than calling it a 14.
I suspect the TLX will be shown in LA in November or at latest in Detroit in January as a 15 that will go no sale by April.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Racer

I am a little disappointed in Acura in how they are handling the 2014 TL and TSX. At the very least they should have upgraded the Tech or Advanced packages with some of the features available on the Accord, MDX, and RLX. While the TL does offer the blind spot feature it misses out on things like LED DRLs, Collision mitigation system, adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, and Front / Rear parking sensors. The LED DRLs is the biggest feature I think they are missing out on. All luxury cars have some sort of special DRLs in 2014, including the Honda Accord (non luxury version of Acura). I see VWs, Kia's, Fords, Jeeps, and GMC's with these and they make a bold statement on the highway. Even the Nissan Sentra has them. In a luxury vehicle I expect these. Not offering on the ILX, RDX, TL, and TSX is a bog fail. If a buyer is between the Lexus ES and Acura TL in the next few months these features may sway the decision.

At the least they should offer a led strip like the Accord along with the special features in the Advanced package.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Suzuka Master

They are not going to add anything that requires any R&D for a model year that will last maybe 6 months.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:59 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
They are not going to add anything that requires any R&D for a model year that will last maybe 6 months.
and with monthly sales figures keep sliding downwards.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
I am a little disappointed in Acura in how they are handling the 2014 TL and TSX. At the very least they should have upgraded the Tech or Advanced packages with some of the features available on the Accord, MDX, and RLX. While the TL does offer the blind spot feature it misses out on things like LED DRLs, Collision mitigation system, adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, and Front / Rear parking sensors. The LED DRLs is the biggest feature I think they are missing out on. All luxury cars have some sort of special DRLs in 2014, including the Honda Accord (non luxury version of Acura). I see VWs, Kia's, Fords, Jeeps, and GMC's with these and they make a bold statement on the highway. Even the Nissan Sentra has them. In a luxury vehicle I expect these. Not offering on the ILX, RDX, TL, and TSX is a bog fail. If a buyer is between the Lexus ES and Acura TL in the next few months these features may sway the decision.

At the least they should offer a led strip like the Accord along with the special features in the Advanced package.
Totally agree about the LED DRLs. I was out to lunch with a co-worker yesterday and parked my 2013 ZDX next to her 2013 Volkswagon CC. Everything about that CC screamed luxury car, especially those LED DRLs. While my ZDX, a 50k car (about 20k more than the base CC), screamed dressed up Honda Crosstour. Don't get me wrong, I love my Acura but they better get with it if they plan on competing with other brands. Little details like LED DRLs says alot. The current generation TL would look nice with those.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Account closed

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Hard to believe that people seem to define a "luxury" car due to it having LED DRL, just seems kind of silly.

However with that being said, sort of upsets me that the Accord has LED HEADLIGHTS available but the TL, TSX do not.

One issue I am seeing is that the Tech in the current cars hasn't been updated to keep up with phones and such. Currently having issues with both my 12 TSX & 12 TL with the software that handles the phone books... it just doesn't update and Acura doesn't have a software fix.

They update, phones & computers constantly but cars... you're stuck with what you have until you trade in for a new tech heavy car that companies are in no rush to update. I find this quite disturbing as two years from now my still under warranty, like new, 2012 Acuras will no longer be able to communicate with any new device.

Time to step up the game Acura!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Strippers4Me
Hard to believe that people seem to define a "luxury" car due to it having LED DRL, just seems kind of silly.

However with that being said, sort of upsets me that the Accord has LED HEADLIGHTS available but the TL, TSX do not.

One issue I am seeing is that the Tech in the current cars hasn't been updated to keep up with phones and such. Currently having issues with both my 12 TSX & 12 TL with the software that handles the phone books... it just doesn't update and Acura doesn't have a software fix.

They update, phones & computers constantly but cars... you're stuck with what you have until you trade in for a new tech heavy car that companies are in no rush to update. I find this quite disturbing as two years from now my still under warranty, like new, 2012 Acuras will no longer be able to communicate with any new device.

Time to step up the game Acura!
To me that shows that Honda considers Acura an after thought which is a problem. Typically advancements like LED DRL are first used in the luxury line and then trickle down to the cheaper models, not the other way around... Acura is definitely in trouble
Old 09-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Almost no R&D costs required to add adaptive cruise control, parking sensors, led lights, rain sensitive wipers, ambiance lights, electric steering wheel adjustment, rear seat electric sunshade etc....they are pretty standard well established tech gadgets that Acura had already on the RL...and Infiniti had many of them for several years now on the G37.
Stupid decision IMHO on the part of Acura to do not include these things to improve the appeal of the outgoing model to the masses

and with monthly sales figures keep sliding downwards.
This is exactly the reason why these features should be added, to defend sales of an older model.

It is sad that even Subaru offers illuminated door sills, ambiance and footwell lights and rear seats entertainment system on the Legacy!!!

Last edited by saturno_v; 09-12-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Honda doesn't want to blow the RLX's candles out just yet with an all new TLX. They are saving their latest engineering bells and whistles for introducing the newly designed TLX '15 model. That buys Acura some time to maneuver the RLX up the corporate ladder a bit more with the fresh "hybrid" 370hp AWD option.

Personally, my gut feeling is that the TL~TSX consolidation will prove beneficial to the brand's identity, improved sales and a more desirable luxury sedan for us. They will then need to turn their attention towards the entry level compact ILX models for enhanced performance and model availability. ie: coupe and sportwagon.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by saturno_v
Almost no R&D costs required to add adaptive cruise control, parking sensors, led lights, rain sensitive wipers, ambiance lights, electric steering wheel adjustment, rear seat electric sunshade etc....they are pretty standard well established tech gadgets that Acura had already on the RL...and Infiniti had many of them for several years now on the G37.
Stupid decision IMHO on the part of Acura to do not include these things to improve the appeal of the outgoing model to the !
OK not to offend you, but you really don't understand the cost to implement new features to a car, no matter how Small that feature seems. Adaptive Cruise, requires sensors and software not to mention testing. That factore alone I bet would cost millions to implement, for what return? It would only likely be on the Tech model and higher, so that means about only 70% of cars sold, so if the run the 14 for 6 months and sell maybe 15K cars how do they recoupe the R&D. The amount of cost to change a car is high, car must be thoroughly tested, manuals need to be updated, etc.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Banned

OK not to offend you, but you really don't understand the cost to implement new features to a car, no matter how Small that feature seems. Adaptive Cruise, requires sensors and software not to mention testing. That factore alone I bet would cost millions to implement, for what return? It would only likely be on the Tech model and higher, so that means about only 70% of cars sold, so if the run the 14 for 6 months and sell maybe 15K cars how do they recoupe the R&D. The amount of cost to change a car is high, car must be thoroughly tested, manuals need to be updated, etc.
I understand it perfectly and the costs are still very low in the grand scheme of things, few millions is pocket change in the automotive R&D world...several automakers add features to their lineup of cars on the way out, the Germans are well known for that, defending their outgoing models with special editions and adding of features.

Now, I agree with you that Acura should have done this before, let's say with the MY 2012 refresh.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wreak
To me that shows that Honda considers Acura an after thought which is a problem. Typically advancements like LED DRL are first used in the luxury line and then trickle down to the cheaper models, not the other way around... Acura is definitely in trouble
I second that
Old 09-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Racer

Stupid decision IMHO on the part of Acura to do not include these things to improve the appeal of the outgoing model to the masses

This is exactly the reason why these features should be added, to defend sales of an older model.

It is sad that even Subaru offers illuminated door sills, ambiance and footwell lights and rear seats entertainment system on the Legacy!!!
This is the very issue I've been having with Honda for many years. Most other automakers add new features to their existing models more often. Even if it's just a few small things. With Honda you have to wait for a mid-cycle refresh or a new generation. By then, others have already passed them by. That is why the new Accord is loaded with features. Honda lost many loyal customers with the outdated tech and features of the last generation. With the new TLX Acura better step it up.

Last edited by MisterZDX; 09-12-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

While I disagree with Acuras lack of adding new features throughout the model run, thinking they will add these things for a 6 month run is nuts. I would be the other makers that add something every year or two have built that into the initial product life cycle. Honda and Acura need to change this to some degree. Even simple things like wheels, I look at my A6 and in the 3 years the car has been out they tweak the wheels and what is in each option package each year. That said they have not added anything that required any serious R&D since the firs year, what they have done is bring more features from the top option package down into a lesser package.

What gets me, is with the volumes of Accords they sell every year they could easily introduce things along the model run, and since the TL and now TLX will share and the RLX can pass tech down wh they stick try to milk 5-6 years out with no real changes is harder with the rate of change in technology and cars becoming so tech laden.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Banned

While I disagree with Acuras lack of adding new features throughout the model run, thinking they will add these things for a 6 month run is nuts. I would be the other makers that add something every year or two have built that into the initial product life cycle. Honda and Acura need to change this to some degree. Even simple things like wheels, I look at my A6 and in the 3 years the car has been out they tweak the wheels and what is in each option package each year. That said they have not added anything that required any serious R&D since the firs year, what they have done is bring more features from the top option package down into a lesser package.

What gets me, is with the volumes of Accords they sell every year they could easily introduce things along the model run, and since the TL and now TLX will share and the RLX can pass tech down wh they stick try to milk 5-6 years out with no real changes is harder with the rate of change in technology and cars becoming so tech laden.

The TL has been a slow seller and sometimes you have to do dramatic things at least to save some legacy...I agree that now is probably too late however the features i mentioned are relatively easy add-ons, they don't require heavy digging in the car architecture such as could be adding adjustable suspension or a new powerplant (a turbocharger version for example)
Old 09-13-2013, 01:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterZDX
Totally agree about the LED DRLs. I was out to lunch with a co-worker yesterday and parked my 2013 ZDX next to her 2013 Volkswagon CC. Everything about that CC screamed luxury car, especially those LED DRLs. While my ZDX, a 50k car (about 20k more than the base CC), screamed dressed up Honda Crosstour. Don't get me wrong, I love my Acura but they better get with it if they plan on competing with other brands. Little details like LED DRLs says alot. The current generation TL would look nice with those.
I think that is the only thing the cc has over a zdx. I Like the drls but every car has it now. I prefer our exotic looking/rare zdx. And acura has the jewel eye now which will most likely be in every model. Now that i like over every other led drl... Wish i could have that on my zdx
Old 09-13-2013, 06:33 AM
Suzuka Master

The TL has been a slow seller and sometimes you have to do dramatic things at least to save some legacy...I agree that now is probably too late however the features i mentioned are relatively easy add-ons, they don't require heavy digging in the car architecture such as could be adding adjustable suspension or a new powerplant (a turbocharger version for example)
Agreed to a pint, but remember the software changes that must accompany these changes and they requires extensive across the board testing, especially something like adaptive cruise. Honda does need to do some soul searching, the competitive landscape is changing every day.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mondster
I think that is the only thing the cc has over a zdx. I Like the drls but every car has it now. I prefer our exotic looking/rare zdx. And acura has the jewel eye now which will most likely be in every model. Now that i like over every other led drl... Wish i could have that on my zdx
Jewel Eye would be the icing on the cake for the ZDX. That would be so SICK and make an already rare car even better.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
I suspect it will say 2014 on the sticker and that will be the only difference.
Fine by me--another year that my 2012 will be indistinguishable from the newest model year. This will be a record for us. With every other car we have ever bought new, there were sometimes subtle and sometimes obvious changes the next model year so you fairly quickly had an "old" vehicle. We bought our 2012 TL in 2011 and only the most ardent Acura gearheads might be able to guess it was not new this year. So if again there are no changes for 2014, we will have had a "new" car for 3 years--yippee!

Quick Reply: 2014 Acura TL