2013 TL Electrical - Lights & Wipers Problems & Keyless Entry Messages

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 TL Electrical - Lights & Wipers Problems & Keyless Entry Messages

Hi,
I have a 2013 TL with both windshield wipers and headlights problems but I’m not sure if the two are related. I’m sorry for the long post but wanted to provide as much information as I can since I’m not knowledgeable about these issues other than what I’ve learned from this wonderful forum.

I’ve spent a lot of time reading any post that mentioned electrical issues, especially the ones regarding door handles. I suspect both front handles are a problem & causing at least some of the issues but would greatly appreciate some thoughts on whether the wipers and light issues are related or just a coincidence and if there could be anything else going on.

The car battery was replaced in February by the dealer shop and I had it tested at an auto parts store when these problems started just to rule that out. The dealer also checked it on the last visit. The key fobs have new good brand batteries installed.

The windshield wipers: one time only, while driving in the rain in early evening (still daylight but with lights on, most likely in the “auto” switch position) the wipers behaved erratically, changing speeds, and the fluid started dispensing automatically. They wouldn’t turn off regardless of the switch position until the car was turned off. This has not happened since. That same night, after being parked about an hour, the bright lights indicator was on (switch position in “auto” mode), and wouldn’t go off. I disconnected the battery that night, so when I took it to the dealer service shop the next morning, there were no codes showing up. I left it for several days, they couldn’t reproduce the problem and said they can’t diagnose without seeing the problem.

A few days later, the headlights came on at night after a very heavy rainstorm. Car had been parked several hours, the headlight switch was in the “auto” position. Started the car, turned it off and the lights went off but I got a “check keyless entry system” message on the dash. Took it back to the dealer shop, left it for four days, they could not reproduce the problem again and was told there were no codes again despite the keyless entry system message. The service invoice states: “performed diagnostics and found no signs of water damage, checked all inputs and outputs with HDS, no failures detected. Recommended starting with fuse block”. I suspect this was recommended only because I had shown them some of the the threads from the forum where the MICU problems were mentioned but they told me they had no idea if this was a problem or if it would fix anything. Just somewhere to start. I don’t want to throw a lot of money at a problem that may not exist since I know the door handles are leaking already. I’m waiting to get a response as to what exactly was checked, although they told me verbally they checked the battery, all grounds “they could get to”, & checked for water leaks.

The same night I brought the car home, the headlights were flashing wildly late at night, again after a very hard rainstorm. Headlight switch position was in the “auto” mode again. The headlights flashed on and off rapidly, I tried locking and unlocking the car with the key fob, it caused the lights to pause briefly but they only went off after starting the car and turning it off. This time it showed a “check keyless entry system” message again followed by a “check keyless start system” message. When I got out of the car I locked it with the door handle button and the interior lights started fading on and off. I locked it again with the key fob and it stopped.

Since the shop can’t find the problem, and there aren’t any codes showing up, I’ve tried to do some research to try to figure where to start. I’ve tried to reproduce the light problems several times by putting water on the door handle from a hose at night, and it so far has not caused the lights to come on but it will activate the door locks (unlock and lock) by just putting water on both the driver and passenger front handles. So I know it’s leaking there. Only when the key fob is in hand or close to the car.

All light problems have occurred only at night and after a heavy rainstorm. And I think only when the headlight control was set to the “auto” position. I’ve kept it in the “off” position for a few days and it hasn’t happened again but it also hasn’t rained.

I’ve also seen on the forum about possible leaks from the sunroof drains into the MICU (would this be the same as the fuse panel the dealer referenced or two separate parts?) I will get the sunroof drains checked and the seal replaced since I noticed the seal is completely loose in a couple of places. I rarely even open it. There is also a thin seal missing along the sides of the windshield that came loose after the dealer shop pressure washed the car a while back, but they said that was only for reducing wind noise and it has not been replaced. But if they’re not seeing any signs of water in the MICU / fuse panel area, I’m not sure if any of these would be causing a problem.

Could there be anything else causing the lights to malfunction other than the door handles since I haven’t been able to cause the lights to act up by putting water on the handles? I’ve only been able to cause the door locks to activate that way.

I know I probably will end up replacing the door handles since I know they are leaking somewhere, and can see if that fixes everything, but wondered if there would likely be any other issues with the fuse panel or MICU.

I’m not mechanically able to fix any of this, so I will still need to take it to someone, but I need to try to to figure it out since the shop has not been able to so far. I don't want to fix something that's not broken but have a trip coming up and need to be able to drive it without worrying about things malfunctioning on a long drive.

I’m also not sure if the wipers issue is even related to the lights, and whether I should do anything, or if disconnecting the battery after that happened might have reset that. I’ve read that the wipers might be unrelated and just be a switch issue? Would it be wise to replace the switch or whatever controls the wipers?

Thank you!
Susan
Old 09-09-2019, 12:01 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts
When you set it to Auto, there is a sensor that is reading the light on top of the middle 'hood' where the display is. Normally, I turn it on and off and I rarely use "Auto" to turn on or off the lights.

For the Windshield wipers, I did have some issues with it awhile back, I would turn it on but it wouldn't move or stop in the middle of the screen. I needed to toggle it on/off a couple of times and it would 'reset' it. The dealer replaced the motor under warranty and it hasn't happened since.

The only issue that I have had with the door handles is the black button not locking the door and the door handle was replaced. I don't think that the door handle is the cause of the wiper and head light issue.

If you can't figure it out from Acura dealer, you can also try a different dealer as well. Hope that helps...