2012 TL OEM Aero Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Hey Adam, you have nothing to apolagize...in fact, I will tell you that you are very normal compared to me. My car NEVER goes out when the roads are wet, rain or snow. You would be amazed if you saw my cars at the end of their lease, the underneath have never been sprayed by wet rads, the suspension is brand new, the rotors and calipers are like in showroom condition and my mileage is usually 1/3 of what my lease allows. Whoever gets my car at the end of my lease gets a sweet deal. Now I know...I am nuts but for me, my car is my pride and joy. Can you tell I have no kids?!
Ha! I'm still debating if I should keep my current car as a permanent "winter car". I might. Haven't discussed this with the wife in detail, as of yet.

One other question regarding the aero kit. There appears to be some sort of silicone, or possibly adhesive, between the aero pieces and the body panels. What colour is this - I'd assume white to match the paint, however in some pictures it appears to be grey?

Thanks again
Adam
Old 10-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by arw321
Ha! I'm still debating if I should keep my current car as a permanent "winter car". I might. Haven't discussed this with the wife in detail, as of yet.

One other question regarding the aero kit. There appears to be some sort of silicone, or possibly adhesive, between the aero pieces and the body panels. What colour is this - I'd assume white to match the paint, however in some pictures it appears to be grey?

Thanks again
Adam
That silicone is grey on mine, not white.
The following users liked this post:
arw321 (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
That silicone is grey on mine, not white.
Thanks Stew, I'm sort of surprised to hear that. Do you find that it sticks out like a sore thumb?

Are those rear pieces growing on you yet, Stew? If it's not too much trouble, could you post a picture or two directly from the rear of the car from low level?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 10-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Hey Adam,

LEt me confirm what Stew4HD said, there is a tiny strip of light grey rubber that seperates the aerokit from the body itself. It is very subtle and NOTHING to be worried about. Trust me, I am the most anal person you will ever meet and if that doesn't bother me, I am confident it will not be an issue for you either. The same was on my 2009 TSX with the aerokit so maybe I have gotten used to it but even then, it never bothered me.

I think Stew4HD has said that given the choice all over again, he wouldn't go with the rear skirt so that should say something. That being said, he also said its not as bad as the pics make it look so I think the best advice is to wait for the pieces to come in and then make your assessment one piece at a time (Stew4HD...sorry for speaking on your behalf).

That Bellanova White is a gorgeous color in the flesh and trust me, when you see your car with the front and side skirts, you will be blown away!! Now you will then be able to decide on whether you want the rear skirt or the rear splash guard. I still think you wil need either one of these but the choice will be made on the spot. Best advice, to truly appreciate the car and make the right decision, make sure the car is clean and detailed as they put the skirts (or splash guards) on....You will appreciate the look of the car a whole lot more. Even you have more question, please let me know and if you want, send me a PM and I can even call you...sometme, its easy to talk and discuss than type messages.
The following 2 users liked this post by weather:
arw321 (10-14-2011), Stew4HD (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey Adam,

LEt me confirm what Stew4HD said, there is a tiny strip of light grey rubber that seperates the aerokit from the body itself. It is very subtle and NOTHING to be worried about. Trust me, I am the most anal person you will ever meet and if that doesn't bother me, I am confident it will not be an issue for you either. The same was on my 2009 TSX with the aerokit so maybe I have gotten used to it but even then, it never bothered me.

I think Stew4HD has said that given the choice all over again, he wouldn't go with the rear skirt so that should say something. That being said, he also said its not as bad as the pics make it look so I think the best advice is to wait for the pieces to come in and then make your assessment one piece at a time (Stew4HD...sorry for speaking on your behalf).

That Bellanova White is a gorgeous color in the flesh and trust me, when you see your car with the front and side skirts, you will be blown away!! Now you will then be able to decide on whether you want the rear skirt or the rear splash guard. I still think you wil need either one of these but the choice will be made on the spot. Best advice, to truly appreciate the car and make the right decision, make sure the car is clean and detailed as they put the skirts (or splash guards) on....You will appreciate the look of the car a whole lot more. Even you have more question, please let me know and if you want, send me a PM and I can even call you...sometme, its easy to talk and discuss than type messages.
Now that's what I call helping a brother out! What a great site with awesome members!
Old 10-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jimmmer
Now that's what I call helping a brother out! What a great site with awesome members!
Old 10-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks guys....I truly enjoy spending time here with you! What a great bunch....No doubt that prettiest member here has to be Shelly though. I still have dreams about those nails...Oh Mama!! *LMAO*

Last edited by weather; 10-14-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks guys....I truly enjoy spending time here with you! What a great bunch....No doubt that prettiest member here has to be Shelly though. I still have dreams about those nails...Oh Mama!! *LMAO*
Hey, she's mine!.. she just doesn't know it yet!.. She has to go for mature men.. she just has to!
Old 10-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Intermediate

Hey Adam,

Weather, you are awesome. I may take you up on that offer. Thanks for the reassurance. I agree 100% that I need to see it both ways before I decide. I think I'll be taking the full kit regardless, so if I'm not sold on the rear pieces at first, I could always put them on later.

Do the mud flaps fast to the bumper via pre-drilled holes?

I'm glad to hear that the grey adhesive is nothing to worry about. It sounds like we both share similar traits (or possibly obsessive compulsions). I haven't been this way with a car for a while (I'm looking forward to it) however my motorcycle spends winter in my "man room" (I bring it inside from the garage) and is rarely even dusty. So trust me, I "get" you.

Thanks again for all the help. This forum is great!

Adam
Old 10-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arw321

Do the mud flaps fast to the bumper via pre-drilled holes?

^^I mean "fasten" of course.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Hey, she's mine!.. she just doesn't know it yet!.. She has to go for mature men.. she just has to!
Hey buddy....If she like a MATURE man, she can have you.....but if she wants a HANDSOME MATURE man, she will come after me so just want to warn you so that you don't end up with a broken heart. I am good at alot of things but cheering up a devastated man, hummm, not so much *LMAO*

ADAM....Anytime buddy! I am ALWAYS willing to help and us folks from Eastern Canada are quite the warm and friendly bunch To answer your question about the splash guards, you will notice they will come with a little metal plate to fasten them (and I can take close up pics if you ever want to see it) but overall, the splash guards use the pre existing holes and will not require any additional drilling or perforations to install. You should have seen how devasted I was when I had to drill the holes to fasten my front plate holder. I am OK with it now but its took 5 full body relaxation massages to finally get over the anxiety - Great way to STIMULATE the local economy I guess *LMAO*

Last edited by weather; 10-14-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:35 AM
2nd Gear

I'm a new person to this site so please forgive my bad writing and methods. But I'm considering buying a 2012 TL SH-AWD advance in white with the taupe interior. But the last thing holding me up is the underbody spoiler kit. The dealership has been little help and the pics other than the few I've seen here have been lacking greatly. So this is my last ditch attempt. Otherwise I may have to move to my second choice, 2013 Lexus ES 350 (I hear the groans). So it would be greatly appreciated if anybody has some other good pics like the ones here I would like to take a look. So far the concensus seems to be yes to the front and sides but no to the rear. The site seems to have a good bunch of people with some good thoughts. PLEASE HELP!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:20 PM
8th Gear

Anybody know if the OEM Aero kit for 2012+ can be installed without damaging the parts underneath? I assume there must be bolts of some sort - is there an alternative?

I'm thinking of taking over someone's lease on a '13 and I would like to add an Aero kit. Fact is, I will be returning the lease down the road - I would like to take the kit back off and re-sell it prior to lease return (since it was not part of the original lease and hence does not belond to Honda Finance).

Anybody know?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
To install the front and rear aero pieces on the 2012+ TL, the front and rear bumpers have to be drilled out with multiple holes.

So if you're planning to reclaim the aero pieces at future lease return, be prepare to visit a body shop to fix the holes on the bumpers, after the pieces are removed.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
You may even be better off just to leave the aero kit on the 13' at lease end - instead of having to pay for body work on the bumpers.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:08 AM
8th Gear

Thanks guys - all I needed to know - definitely not an option to remove it. IF it goes on, it won't come back off. Cheers!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:40 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ADAM...OMG, I feel so bad! *lol* I am not sure how I came up with Dave but anyway, I am glad you enjoyed the pics. EdwardTl....I can appreciate your resistance to the rear kit. No qiestion that on the darker colors, it looks much better because the seems where the pieces end just blend better but its not as good on the lighter color.

I will say that I hesitated alot too because I love the rear piece when viewed from the profile of the car (Stew's pics) but its the rear angle that I just can't get over either. In my opinion, the rear flaps gives just enough flair to finish the rear while not creating a controversy. I did the same thing, ordered the whole kit and then had them put the front and side skirts. Then I had them hold the rear pieces on the car and then just the flaps and for ME, the flaps were the way to go. The car looks very well balanced and even the guys at the dealership were quite surprised by how nice just the flaps looked.

Here are a few other pics fron a semi side to give a balance look and to make you drool more

ARUCA3.2...Your TL is AMAZING and that last picture you have is just simply stunning! I need to get some nice pics done of my car. Next spring for sure!!

BTW....ADAM....Not Ontario plate but Canadian plates

Is this stock ride height? It looks fantastic w/that flaps and no rear. I think Any light colors and this is the way to go. On darker colors, especially black, the rears look great b/c the lines are hidden to an extent. Car looking Great @weather!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by FrankLopez222
Is this stock ride height? It looks fantastic w/that flaps and no rear. I think Any light colors and this is the way to go. On darker colors, especially black, the rears look great b/c the lines are hidden to an extent. Car looking Great @weather!
Well said.. he owes me big time ! I will hold it over weather's head a long time too.

I would have went the same route had I known how those rear pieces looked.. but I was too eager to buy the one of the first '12 BWP Advanced modles sold in Houston
Old 06-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

FrankLopez222....Yes, my TL is stock and there are some recent pics in my photo thread that I added about 2 days ago. Thanks for the compliment....

Stew4HD....You are 150% correct, I do owe you a debt of gratitude. If you ever come up to Canada, I will gladly pay you a great meal. If you like seafood, we have an abundance of it. If you prefer something else, I will treat you regardless