2012 SH-AWD Driver Seat Pressure Point

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 03:28 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 SH-AWD Driver Seat Pressure Point

Hello fellow 4G TL enthusiasts.
I purchased a 2012 TL recently with about 90k miles and love (nearly) everything about it. Coming from an old jeep with 250k+ miles on it, I was ready for an upgrade.
However, this isn't an introduction post. I have a problem that I didn't notice at first and has recently been bothering me as I frequently drive 2+ hrs at a time.

The back of the driver's seat has a pressure point RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACK. It presses on my spine and is even more pronounced when I have the lumbar support activated (hence why I didn't notice it at the dealership). I'm conscious of it every time I drive now and it is a real bummer because the car is fantastic other than that. I'm guessing the previous owner was a bigger person and had maybe worn out the foam on the seat back and due to some poor design decision on Acura/Honda's part allowed this hard point to jut out directly onto my spine.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and if I'll need to take it to an auto upholsterer to have them replace the foam for a billion million dollars or if I could buy some foam online and do it myself..? I've searched for videos online of how to remove the seat from the car but everyone seems to be replacing the bottom seat foam and not the seat back foam.. Should I try this or would I be in over my head? Or should I just tape a pillow to the driver seat and call it a day? Googling this provides no results or similar experiences which is very odd to me..
Old 02-28-2018, 01:56 PM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
I've noticed what I think you're talking about. But it was simply fixed by adjusting the lumbar support on the power seat. Have you tried doing that? The button is next to the others that support the height/angle/etc. of the seat. I have mine set to the middle but you can set it all the way back, to the point where there's no lumbar support whatsoever.

Are you saying that you feel it even without the lumbar support extended though?
Old 02-28-2018, 03:14 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, thanks for the reply. Yes, I've tried adjusting the lumbar support on the seat and it doesn't change anything. It feels like there is a pointy object in my seat, right above where the lumbar support inflates/deflates that pokes right into my spine. I can feel it with my hand and when I push on it, it doesn't move. Extremely uncomfortable.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:31 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by toad_
Hey, thanks for the reply. Yes, I've tried adjusting the lumbar support on the seat and it doesn't change anything. It feels like there is a pointy object in my seat, right above where the lumbar support inflates/deflates that pokes right into my spine. I can feel it with my hand and when I push on it, it doesn't move. Extremely uncomfortable.
I've noticed the same thing. Even at the furthest back I can still feel it a bit.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:54 AM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
Hmmm. I don't have the problem. Or at least I haven't noticed it. Now I'll probably pay attention, feel it, then it will bug me forever. Thanks a lot!

I wonder if the backing could be removed from the seat and some rooting around done to find the problem. I haven't tried to remove the rear panel on these seats but my 3G had panels that could be removed from the back, providing access to some of the inner workings.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:28 AM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Hmm I thought I responded, anyways I had a passenger seat spring or something hard (was rectangular shape). The problem bulge would poke slightly into the upper back of the passenger. Dealer pulled the seat apart (not sure how since I havent done it) and fixed it. Not that this helps you...