2012 Going price ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Going price ?

Hello,

Looking into buying a 12' Pearl White with Taupe interior, Advance package and all the underbody spoilers, Backup sensors, 19" Diamond Cut rims etc.

The Acura configurator bring the total to around $50k. Now looking at TrueCar and the selling prices for the outgoing model, the HPT model was selling for around $38.5k compare to the $44.5k sticker price; 6k diference. Knowing that this is a refreshed vehicle that just launched, what can I expect to pay aproximately ?

$46k?

Thanks

Ed
Old 03-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Not sure how this will affect the TL - even thought its built in Ohio - much of the parts are from Japan

Dealers raise some car prices after Japan crisis
Associated Press
Posted on March 17, 2011 at 3:05 PM

DETROIT (AP) — The disaster in Japan could slow shipments of popular cars like Toyota's Prius to auto lots. And many dealers are already taking advantage of expected shortages to raise prices.
Buyers will now typically have to pay sticker prices, instead of enjoying discounts that had been the norm for small cars and hybrids imported from Japan. Besides the Prius, models that suddenly cost more include Honda's Insight, Fit and CR-V; Toyota's Yaris; and several Acuras and Infinitis.
Small cars such as the Yaris, with a $12,955 sticker price for a base model, and the Honda Insight, priced at $18,200, are losing their typical discounts of 5 percent to 10 percent.
The price increases "will last weeks, if not months," says Jesse Toprak, vice president of industry trends and insights for TrueCar.com, a website that tracks what cars sell for at dealerships.
Dealers are acting on the possibility that disruptions in car deliveries from Japan will cause a shortage of higher-demand vehicles. Demand will exceed supply.
So they won't cut deals on those cars, Toprak says.
Car buyers rarely pay sticker price, also known as the MSRP or Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. Companies typically offer discounts of a few hundred to a few thousand dollars off the MSRP. Many also provide low-rate financing.
On top of all that, there's typically room for further negotiation. Toyota, for example, had been offering a $500 rebate on the Prius, plus zero-percent financing. And it offered a $1,000 rebate on the Yaris.
Many smaller cars and hybrids are built in Japan, where car manufacturing has mostly stopped in the aftermath of the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear crisis.
Toyota says it's shut down production until Tuesday. Honda remains closed and hasn't said when its plants will restart. A shipment of more than 1,000 Nissan and Infiniti cars that was headed to the United States was destroyed in the tsunami. At least one hybrid battery maker is shut down, threatening supplies of hybrid cars.
"Prices have firmed up, and the tsunami is only going to help that," says John Hawkins, a Los Angeles-area dealer who runs three Honda dealerships.
Even before the disaster, dealers were reporting a shortage of hybrids such as the Prius, which had been in demand because of higher gas prices. The Prius uses a combination of electric and gasoline power and gets 51 mpg.
A month ago, Dave Conant said his Toyota dealership in San Diego had 57 Prius hybrids for sale. Today, he has three or four. Priuses carry a sticker price of $23,050 for a base model.
"We're going to run out of cars," he says.
So he's no longer willing to make a deal.
The disaster in Japan changed everything. Before last week, Toyota had been stepping up production of Priuses. Dealers wanted to sell as many as they could. But now, Conant says he and other dealers are no longer willing to sell their fuel-efficient cars for less than sticker price.
"We had five on the ground yesterday, and I don't know when I'll get another," he says. "The market has shifted pretty quickly and dramatically."
Some critics argue that dealers are using the Japan disaster, and the threat of car shortages, as an excuse to raise prices. Eric Ibara, director of residual price consulting for Kelley Blue Book, says any price increases in the market now are "pure speculation" that some models will face shortages.
Toyota declined to comment.
Honda spokesman Jeffrey Smith says the automaker is still assessing the impact of the Japan crisis on its supply of cars. But for now, dealers have enough Japanese imports on hand, and more are on the way, he said.
Infiniti announced price increases Monday for about half its models. Buyers will pay between $400 and $950 more per model. But Infiniti spokeswoman Paula Angelo says the price increases are unrelated to the Japan disaster.
"It's our normal practice to make mid model-year price adjustments," Angelo says.
Used cars may be affected, too. Higher prices on new cars will mean higher prices on used ones, says Tim Jackson, president of the Colorado Automobile Dealers Association. Once supplies of small cars and hybrids tighten and dealers stop negotiating on price, many customers lower their sights. Cheaper used cars become more appealing.
That higher demand drives prices up.
"Dealers will pay more at auction or for trade-ins, and it will result in a higher price for consumers," Jackson says.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by equetefue
Hello,

Looking into buying a 12' Pearl White with Taupe interior, Advance package and all the underbody spoilers, Backup sensors, 19" Diamond Cut rims etc.

The Acura configurator bring the total to around $50k. Now looking at TrueCar and the selling prices for the outgoing model, the HPT model was selling for around $38.5k compare to the $44.5k sticker price; 6k diference. Knowing that this is a refreshed vehicle that just launched, what can I expect to pay aproximately ?

$46k?

Thanks

Ed
I was at the dealer (John Eagle - Houston, TX I-10 West @ State Hwy 6) today. Sticker Prices on the new inventory of 2012 TL's (they had at least 10 possibly a couple more) were up slightly compared to their equally equipped 2011 stablemates but the dealer was offering some really attractive deals on their existing stock of 2011's but absolutely wouldn't budge on his 2012's. Equipped the way you want yours, you may spend some time trying to find it for much below sticker. I think the 19" wheels & tires are close to a $5k option alone.

We're going back in tomorrow AM to sign the papers for a 2011 w/Tech (black on black, 17" wheels), $40,600 sticker for $34,788. Dealer embellishments include window tinting and the cargo tray & cargo net in the trunk.

Last edited by Cap'n Preshoot; 03-18-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

"I think the 19" wheels & tires are close to a $5k option alone."

- on my 09 I got the HPT option - and it was no where near $5k

- if you go to acura.com and build a 2011 its a $1k option for the 19s and the HPT

these are the same wheels you get with the 2012 w/ the advance pkg
"19-inch, 5-split-spoke alloy wheels (SH-AWD)"

on the build you own 2012 I did see other wheel pkgs that were $3k+ between the wheels and the recommended tires
Old 03-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot
I was at the dealer (John Eagle - Houston, TX I-10 West @ State Hwy 6) today. Sticker Prices on the new inventory of 2012 TL's (they had at least 10 possibly a couple more) were up slightly compared to their equally equipped 2011 stablemates but the dealer was offering some really attractive deals on their existing stock of 2011's but absolutely wouldn't budge on his 2012's. Equipped the way you want yours, you may spend some time trying to find it for much below sticker. I think the 19" wheels & tires are close to a $5k option alone.

We're going back in tomorrow AM to sign the papers for a 2011 w/Tech (black on black, 17" wheels), $40,600 sticker for $34,788. Dealer embellishments include window tinting and the cargo tray & cargo net in the trunk.
I've been in touch with John Eagle as well... though only via email thus far.

Good luck neighbor!
Old 03-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given the Japan situation, and that there aren't many 12 TLs right now, my guess is production will be very slow for a month or two - and dealers won't be budging off msrp for 12s. Even though the TL is basically an american car (designed in california, produced in ohio) it still requires parts from the Japanese factories that aren't currently running.
If I had to choose between highly incentived 11s vs msrp 12s, I'd choose the 11s. If I had to choose between highly incentived 11s now vs highly incentived 12s 3 months from now, I'd wait the 3 months.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Slinks
Given the Japan situation, and that there aren't many 12 TLs right now, my guess is production will be very slow for a month or two - and dealers won't be budging off msrp for 12s. Even though the TL is basically an american car (designed in california, produced in ohio) it still requires parts from the Japanese factories that aren't currently running.
If I had to choose between highly incentived 11s vs msrp 12s, I'd choose the 11s. If I had to choose between highly incentived 11s now vs highly incentived 12s 3 months from now, I'd wait the 3 months.
I am leaning the same way end of year deals on 2012.

Also thanks to all on some dealer input. My first dealer said the same sticker we are not budging. So we will await the cat and mice game.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by crxb
"I think the 19" wheels & tires are close to a $5k option alone."

- on my 09 I got the HPT option - and it was no where near $5k

- if you go to acura.com and build a 2011 its a $1k option for the 19s and the HPT

these are the same wheels you get with the 2012 w/ the advance pkg
"19-inch, 5-split-spoke alloy wheels (SH-AWD)"

on the build you own 2012 I did see other wheel pkgs that were $3k+ between the wheels and the recommended tires
There is a huge difference between getting a HPT option, a 18" wheel option and getting a 19" accessory wheel. When you get an upgrade wheel option from the factory like HPT or 18" wheels on a FWD tech you only get one set of wheels. If you get an accessory wheel, you end up with 2 full sets of wheels and tires, the ones the cars came from the factory on + the accessory wheel you purchased.

This is why is is so inexpensive to upgrade at the factory and the wheels cost so much more as an accessory. When it's done at the factory you get a credit for the parts not used.

Last edited by black label; 03-19-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by black label
There is a huge difference between getting a HPT option, a 18" wheel option and getting a 19" accessory wheel. When you get an upgrade wheel option from the factory like HPT or 18" wheels on a FWD tech you only get one set of wheels. If you get an accessory wheel, you end up with 2 full sets of wheels and tires, the ones the cars came from the factory on + the accessory wheel you purchased.

This is why is is so inexpensive to upgrade at the factory and the wheels cost so much more as an accessory. When it's done at the factory you get a credit for the parts not used.

19-inch, 5-split-spoke alloy wheels <- these that come w/ the 2012 advance awd - this is the same set I paid $1k for w/ the HPT option on my 09 - not 18s

but I see your point as to why the access wheels are so expensive
I had seen prices like that b4 when I had my 3G
that was one reason I jumped for the HPT option - seemed like a very good deal - 19-inch, 5-split-spoke alloy wheels with the Mich Pilot Sport tires - I'll let you guys go back to the thread topic

Last edited by crxb; 03-19-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Bought the 2012 today instead

Well, scratch the 2011. The "little woman" and I went back in today, saw both 2011 and 2012 side by side, then test drove both & wound up buying the 2012 (black on black with the Tech package). And no, the dealer sure wouldn't budge much, only $700 below sticker and I consider myself a pretty decent wheeler-dealer. He did give me a rear cargo tray and window-tinting. Bottom line, the 2012 is in tight supply right now and if you want to be the first kid on your block to have one, you either pony-up or go home without it.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Rowing my own

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, scratch the 2011. The "little woman" and I went back in today, saw both 2011 and 2012 side by side, then test drove both & wound up buying the 2012 (black on black with the Tech package). And no, the dealer sure wouldn't budge much, only $700 below sticker and I consider myself a pretty decent wheeler-dealer. He did give me a rear cargo tray and window-tinting. Bottom line, the 2012 is in tight supply right now and if you want to be the first kid on your block to have one, you either pony-up or go home without it.
Very nice, congrats
Old 03-19-2011, 10:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
your gong to pay close to sticker for a 2012 car....its still 2011, so if you think your going to get a 2012 for a steal, your high....get real folks...like the op stated, if you want to be the first kid on the block with a 2012, your going to have to pony up...
Old 03-19-2011, 11:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Congrats neighbor!! How was your buying experience at John Eagle, if that is where you bought?

Yeah, in the audio video side of things, early adopters pay high prices to be the first to have new tech.. that is just the way it is. I do like to have the new toys to play with and end up paying more.

What's even better is having so many people on here reminding us to "get real, you don't get incentives/discounts on new models when they are first released"... DOH! I didn't know that!

I like your signature.. LOL.. Comcrap.. ewwww.