2012 6 speed MT steering feel

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 10:13 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 6 speed MT steering feel

I have my 2012 6 speed MT for 3.5 month now. I can say I am generally satisfied with my ride except the steering. My previous ride included a 2005 TSX, 1998 BMW 328i and a SAAB 900 Turbo. Compared to the TSX, the TL's steering seem to have a lot of "play" in it. On the highway, it seem to require constant correction. It is also much loser and lighter than the TSX's. Last month, I was down in Florida and I had a Ford Fusion as a rental. I have to admit, I much preferred the fusion's tighter steering. Also, it seem as a result of the steering, the TSX is a much toss able car on the highway. Also, my family has a Toyota Venza. The Venza has the same lifeless steering (what do you expect from a Toyota). However, the Venza seem to have less "play" in the steering in that it does not require constant correction.

So my question to the others is, how do you feel about the 4G's steering compare to other cars you had? Is it just me or could Acura have made the 4G TL with much better steering feel?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I like it. It's all-electric steering as opposed to hydraulic or a hybrid version so in many ways it's supposed to feel detached and electronic or robotic, like a joystick. However, it's very percise and extremely responsive. It's highly correctable and easily maneuverable, especially at low speeds, tightens up well enough at high speeds too IMO.

It replaces tighter or firmer steering with slower but lighter. I actually prefer it now to most cars, was never a fan of artifically heavy steering, it seems to react quicker during spirited driving and is more responsive to the minor inputs. It could use a bit more weight IMO but not too much, the 2012 has added some as far as I know.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:14 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
I agree, the 4G TL 6MT's steering is very "robotic" and lifeless. It's even more lifeless and numb when driving on snow/ice. It tightens up a little more as you accelerate aggressively and when driving at higher speeds (ie. 60mph+), but not that much IMHO...

But as winstrolvtec mentioned, it is very precise and accurate.

I also had a 2005 TSX, and I would have to agree with the OP that I like the 05 TSX's hydraulic steering much better; it had the right amount of feel and feedback IMHO.

My wife has a Lexus RX330, which also has the same lifeless steering feel to it, but the RX has even less weight/feel than the 4G TL.

IMHO the BMW 3 series, before then went electric, sets the standard for steering feel, weight, and feedback.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read somewhere the 4G TL's EPS is software tuned. Here's hoping that someone can write a software reflash to give the steering more feedback.
The following users liked this post:
Tigerbear (11-24-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 02:50 AM
10th Gear

Unhappy

This is not a good sign since winter is coming! When I first got the TL, I felt the steering tightening with the SHAWD. now I don't feel in anymore ...

For me the problem is the steering is not precise at high speed. It seem to require my constant correction. Between the MT and the steering, I dread taking my hand off to change the radio or make a phone call even via the steering wheel ...

The TSX is much much more tossable. I can zip and change lane on the highway. Not possible with the TL. however, the TSX lacks power ...

I thought my 328 steering was just OK. I wouldn't say it was that good as people make it out to be. the SAAB and a 1G Honda Odyssey we had had IMHO much better and tighter steering that I prefer ...

Let's hope for the new software ...
Old 11-24-2012, 07:04 AM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
I think some of the sensation you describe is caused by the tires when they are new. When my car was new, I was a little disconcerted by the need to make many minor corrections at highway speeds, especially on grooved pavement, although the car has always felt very stable. I now have almost 20K on the car, and I don't notice that feeling in the steering any more. On my last car, a Legend, I noticed the same thing when I put a new set of Michelin Primacy tires on it. After some miles and tire wear, the effect seemed to go away. Either that, or subconciously, I began to correct for it without noticing.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think there are a couple of different settings for the steering feel. They changed it from 2010 to 2011, and I think the dealer may be able to "flash" it to the 2010 setting. Again, I just remember reading this somewhere, and I'm really not sure about it, but it is worth asking the dealer about.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep I agree it might be the tires. If you aren't used to ciphoned tires, that may be why you need to correct a lot. When the car shifts on grooved payment with ciphoned tires, it is traction. Not everyone likes ciphoned tires. I love them especially in the winter. As the tires wear, the side slipping of the car in between grooves will lesson. If you truly aren't excited about ciphoned tires, you can get them switched out but you will notice some traction loss but not much since you have the SHAWD. Good luck!

Trending Topics

Old 11-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
I have a 2012 and I'd have to agree with you that the steering is pretty lifeless and it's especially noticable at highway speeds. I don't find that mine has any "play" though.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
I don't feel any "play" to the steering at any speed?

It does seem a bit touchy at highway speeds, but it's very nice at lower town driving speeds.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Op, like others have said it could be the tires but you may also want to check out your tire pressure and worse case the alignment. It sounds as though you might have some issues that are not necessarily all steering related. Other than the normal steering characteristics themselves, I can't really say I have ever experienced anything like you are describing when driving on the highway, nor the "play" but then again I haven't really paid too much attention recently and it's been some time since coming from another vehicle but it may be worth a shot regardless.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 11-24-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:20 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Tigerbear, what tires are you running on ?

The crappy OEM tires tend to make the steering wheel feel "loose".

Stickier tires will somewhat stiffen the steering wheel feel.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 AM
10th Gear

Thanks everyone for your opinion and suggestions.

I am using stock tires. So I guess one solution is to upgrade.

I don't believe my ride is out of alignment. The car is going straight.

The tire pressure played a great deal in my purchase. My current dealer had the demo manual TL I drove way over inflated. However, another demo (a 2010 manual) I drove at another dealer had better steering. I went back to my current dealer with my own tire pressure gauge to have them let the air out. In fact, the first question I ask at delivery of my current ride was the tire pressure!

It could be as JM2010 say, the sensation I feel is because the tires are new. The steering on the Venza we have seem to be tighter now we have it for almost a year. My previous 2005 TSX had a major problem with the tire when new as well. For more than a year, it drifted to one side. I went back to the dealer and read numerous post. No solution. But then after about one year, the problem went away on its own. Probably the new tires were causing the drifting.

So I guess the best I can do is to keep driving and see what happens in a couple of month ...
Old 11-30-2012, 06:54 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I came from German vehicles (328,Passat w8,535) which had more feel and significantly more weight. Tires make some differenece. For instance, yesterday, I switched to Blizzaks and immediately noticed quite a difference (worse). I plan to dump the MICH Pilots in the future. I love my 6MT but wish it had the steering feel of my 1996 3 series. I rented a brand new 5-series from AVIS last week and noted a pretty unimpressive driving experience (that's one reason I didn't buy a second 5 series). Whether the problem is EPS or something else, you would think manufactures could fix this.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Haha...according to the masses the manufacture has fixed the steering feel of your 96' 3 series.

Last edited by HeartTLs; 11-30-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CerberusKy
I'm not sure, but I think there are a couple of different settings for the steering feel. They changed it from 2010 to 2011, and I think the dealer may be able to "flash" it to the 2010 setting. Again, I just remember reading this somewhere, and I'm really not sure about it, but it is worth asking the dealer about.
I read this in one of the reviews as well -- one of the comments about the 2012 model was that the steering feel was worse than the prior year, and that since it's electric, it's a programmable setting. On the other hand, a reviewer for Pop. Mechanics liked the new steering feel better. To each his own I suppose. http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-tl-test-drive
Old 12-04-2012, 01:50 AM
10th Gear

I don't really believe the Germans have advantage in power steering anymore. The 97 first generation Honda Odyssey my family had and the 2005 TSX I had had excellent steering. You will be surprise how that Odyssey can hold the road. I've driven the newer Odys and they do not hold the road as well as the older one. The TSX was a truly zippy car. The only problem with the TSX is it needs more power ...

I haven't driven the newer Bimmers. My 1998 328s steering wasn't really bad. But I would say it is no where as good as people make it out to be. I've driven the 3 series of the generation after and I think the steering was actually softer than the 98. I can picture the current Bimmers having bad steering ...

It seem it does really depend on how people perceive steering feel. My co worker tested a MDX recently. He complained that the steering is stiff. I guess coming from his Camry, anything would be stiff!

Maybe just another question to anyone. I drove a 2007 MDX one time when my TSX was in service. It was an incredible ride! If I remember, it had really good steering. It was the first time I drove SH AWD and I remember it can zip on the highway just like my TSX. In fact, I would say the MDX drove better than the TL. Unfortunately, they don't make manual transmission MDXs and I don't need a car that big. I also heard when they did the MMC with the MDX a few years ago, they soften the steering. How does everyone think about the steering and handling of the MDX compared to the TL?

To me after driving the MDX that one time, I can see why Acura had a winner on its hand . I have driven X5 and Mercedes M. But that MDX was easily the BEST SUV I have driven!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My '12 6MT is a year old this week, so I brought it in for a state inspection. I decided to get a four wheel alignment. What a difference! The steering seems so much better. I don't feel like I have to wrestle with the wheel. The steering on my old Saab with 5 speed was much more real, but that car weighed 400 pounds less. You might want to get an alignment from a really good shop.