2009 Acura TL Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 10:31 PM
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation 2009 Acura TL Transmission Problems

Hi everyone, I’m new to the Acura world and let say it didn’t start off with the best of luck.

I just bought an Acura TL 2009 3.5L and I had the surprise to find that the transmission is defective. Let’s say I checked with 4 garages already and their recommendation is to replace the whole transmission. I do know a few basic things in mechanics but I have no idea how a transmission works or what needs to be done.

My questions:
  • What year transmission is compatible with my 2009 Acura TL? (from 2009 to 2014)
  • Will it be easier and cheaper to replace the whole transmission or take the time to dismantle it and find the source of the problem?
  • Do you, by any chance, know any good and reliable mechanic in Montreal area that would be able to help me with the situation?
  • I read few post on the forum and one of them stated that I must reset the new transmission to the vehicle. Is that something my mechanic can do or I would have to go to my local dealership?

Really appreciate your feedback.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:42 PM
Gang Gang

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Yous
Hi everyone, I’m new to the Acura world and let say it didn’t start off with the best of luck.

I just bought an Acura TL 2009 3.5L and I had the surprise to find that the transmission is defective. Let’s say I checked with 4 garages already and their recommendation is to replace the whole transmission. I do know a few basic things in mechanics but I have no idea how a transmission works or what needs to be done.

My questions:
  • What year transmission is compatible with my 2009 Acura TL? (from 2009 to 2014)
  • Will it be easier and cheaper to replace the whole transmission or take the time to dismantle it and find the source of the problem?
  • Do you, by any chance, know any good and reliable mechanic in Montreal area that would be able to help me with the situation?
  • I read few post on the forum and one of them stated that I must reset the new transmission to the vehicle. Is that something my mechanic can do or I would have to go to my local dealership?

Really appreciate your feedback.

Please inform this thread about what the transmission is doing and why it is defective that way if the transmission is repairable Acurazine can help you.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:15 PM
5th Gear

I will try to describe all what i hear and feel:
1. The transmission is slipping
2. The transmission is slow to respond when shifting gears (shifts at 3500 rpm instead of 2500 rpm on drive mode)
3. The RPM gauge sways even if the speed is constant.
4. While downshifting (from the 4th to the 3rd for instance) the transmission stays engaged in the higher gear for and extended period of time (over 2 secondes) before downshifting. Furthermore when it does a whining clunking sounds is present.
5. Even changing the gears with the paddle shift is poor and is not reacting normally and instantly.
The following users liked this post:
LongLurkerTL12 (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
have you checked condition of the fluid? RPMS fluctuating at a constant speed usually means faulty torque converter... Make sure fluid is bright pinkish red and not burnt smelling. Get car to operating temp. Shut off car and within 60 seconds of turning off check fluid level. Should be between the 2 dots saying HOT. If it's low add more fluid I'd highly recommend OEM DW-1 fluid.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:53 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
have you checked condition of the fluid? RPMS fluctuating at a constant speed usually means faulty torque converter... Make sure fluid is bright pinkish red and not burnt smelling. Get car to operating temp. Shut off car and within 60 seconds of turning off check fluid level. Should be between the 2 dots saying HOT. If it's low add more fluid I'd highly recommend OEM DW-1 fluid.
I agreed with this but also change the fluid. If you find that the fluid is super dark brown or even not nearly pink, perform the 3X drain and fill. This might actually save your transmission. Drain the fluid, fill with honda/acura DW-1 fluid. Drive 10 min and perform that same exact service 2 more times. This SHOULD fix it. My friend had a '06 pilot with the same 5 speed auto and had these exact same issues. She NEVER changed the fluid in 190k miles. I did this exact thing to hers but drained it 4x since it was so bad and voila! fixed all her issues. Saved her thousands on a new trans.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:45 PM
5th Gear

I will perfom the 3X drain and fill and get back to you about it.
How many gallons of fluid would it take for the 3X drain and fill as you recommended ?!
Old 09-04-2020, 02:27 PM
Advanced

I will perfom the 3X drain and fill and get back to you about it.
How many gallons of fluid would it take for the 3X drain and fill as you recommended ?!
I would go to a honda dealership and purchase a case (12- 1 quart bottles) there. Make sure it's "ATF DW-1. It's the exact same fluid as what the acura "stealership" sells but usually $2-3 dollars cheaper per quart. Each drain/fill usually takes about 3.5-4 quarts depending on how long you let it drain. I am able to get 4 full quarts out because i let it sit until it's completely done draining.
Also, make sure you get crush washers for both the drain and fill side. You can just get one set and install them after you perform the last service.
If you need help on how and where both bolts are located i can send pics. Make sure you get the fill bolt off first just in case. Sometimes it won't come off and you'll be screwed if you drain all the fluid first.
I just get a 3/4" drive with a 12" extension and that usually breaks it loose just fine. Good luck and hopefully that will solve it!!!!!
Old 09-13-2020, 03:47 PM
5th Gear

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to let you know that the problem was resolved
what happened is that there was a leak between the radiator and the transmission oil.
so I had to fix that and then flush 5 times the transmission and decontaminate the radiotor and the transmission.
Now the car runs very smoothly, I'm finally enjoying my Acura.

Thank you guys
The following 2 users liked this post by Yous:
LongLurkerTL12 (09-13-2020), Reorge (09-13-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 03:53 PM
Advanced

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to let you know that the problem was resolved
what happened is that there was a leak between the radiator and the transmission oil.
so I had to fix that and then flush 5 times the transmission and decontaminate the radiotor and the transmission.
Now the car runs very smoothly, I'm finally enjoying my Acura.

Thank you guys
AWESOME! Glad you didnt have to replace the trans. I'd definitely do a drain and fill at the bare minimum of every 3 oil changes. The fluid is cheap. I always do mine every other oil change.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:57 PM
5th Gear

Will do 💪