2009 Acura TSX vs 2009 Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:53 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Acura TSX vs 2009 Acura TL

Hey, I'm new here to the forums as well as being an Acura fan.

This question has probably been asked a ridiculously large amount of times but I would like your opinions as to which car would be better?

I'm currently driving my father's 2005 Honda Pilot but I'm looking into getting my own car. Doing research on numerous cars including the Honda Accord, Toyota Corolla/Camry, Infiniti G37, Nissan Altima/Maxima, BMW 1 Series, 3 Series, Lexus IS250/350, I finally settled on Acura. It seems to be a reliable brand with great value and is the most practical for me.

I'm by no means a car fanatic although in doing research I've developed an interest in cars. I don't plan on modding my car like crazy or racing or anything of the such though.

I personally like the style of the new grill and will mostly likely have it paint-matched to go with the rest of the car. I'm trying to decide between Premium White Pearl/White Diamond Pearl and Crystal Black Pearl but leaning more towards the White.

I'll most likely have this car for the next two years of my college life before passing it on to my younger brother when he goes off to college. The weather here in Buffalo, NY is pretty bad most of the year with rain/snow when I'm actually here for school. If I end up keeping the car after two, I'll just be driving around the NYC area.

Disregarding the price difference, the main difference I can see is the 4-cyl engine of the TSX vs the V6 engine of the TL. The only other cars I've really driven are my girlfriend's 4-cyl Toyota Corolla and my housemate's 4-cyl Honda Accord. The difference between those 4-cyl and the V6 of my Pilot doesn't seem all that big to me. I realize that there are differences between a sedan, coupe, and SUV but I don't how much of a difference it makes relative to engines. My housemate tells me though that the difference between his 4-cyl Accord and another friend's V6 Mitsubishi Eclipse is significant enough that he wishes he went with the V6.

Also, what are/how much of a difference is there in AWD vs FWD vs RWD?

If you're bored and feel like enlightening me on other important things about cars, feel free to. I'm here to learn.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have not driven the 09 TL,but did drive the 08TL. IMO the TSX was leaps and bounds above the TL. The 09 should be better but the cost is also more. If you have not driven a TSX,take one out. The 4 cyl is NOT lacking any power in this car. The engine likes to rev. The power comes on strong at about 3000RPM and goes right to redline.
AWD vs FWD vs RWD. AWD is the best and is available on the 09 TL. It means ALL the wheels have power. FWD means only the front wheels have power. Very good in the winter,not as good as AWD but with a good set of snow tires you should not have a problem. RWD means just the rear wheels have power. Makes for a better balanced car and CAN have better proformance over a FWD car. Not as good in the snow but can be capable with a good set of snow tires,but not as good as FWD.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went from an 05 G35 coupe to the 09 TSX. I had Blizzak snow tires on my old G and still found it difficult to drive in the snow. Bottom line I can only afford to have one car to drive year round and RWD in the Northeast just does not make sense. I wanted to look at the new G and BMW, but by the time you add AWD to those models the price goes up and the fuel economy goes down. My TSX is a great commuter car. Enough power, FWD with all season tire gets me through winter, and great features to make the travel enjoyable. If winter was not an obstacle, I would have a 335i in my garage. If fuel economy (and car price) was not an obstacle, probably would have bought the 09 TL, but in the end the TSX gives everything I need (and more) making it the most bang for the buck!
Old 10-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whoaclutch...I have an 09 TSX and love it!! The 4 cylinder is wonderful and loves to be revved. That being said, the 09 TL is growing on me too and offering the SH-AWD is a nice feature the TSX doesn't have. As far as powertrain are concerned, there are almost confirmations now that the TSX will soon come out with a V6 (which is not something I would be interested myself ... but if whats holding you back is just the power, food for thought). I think its a matter of what you can afford and turns you on. being a younger person, you may enjoy the styling of the TSX a bit more (especially if you put the aerokit like I have on mine) and if you really crave the V6, just wait a bit if you can, if not, I doubt that the TSX will underwhelm you, ACURA produce very nice cars so your choice is likely going to be a good one....but make sure you go for a test drive of both vehicles and see which one really turns you on...

Best of luck....