Bridgestone vs Michelin

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Bridgestone vs Michelin

Hi all! I have placed an order for a 2022 ADVANCE SH-AWD MDX and it will be here August/September. I have always had Michelin tires and am partial to them. My dealer said once my MDX comes in, they can remove the stock tires and give me a credit towards a set of Michelin's. If I decide to go that route, which Michelin's would you recommend? Also, what are thoughts on the stock Bridgestone Alenza's?
Old 06-05-2021, 04:22 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
What type of tires are you looking for ? Summer tires ? All-season tires ? All-weather tires ? High performance tires ? Easy-riding touring tires ?
Old 06-05-2021, 05:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
What type of tires are you looking for ? Summer tires ? All-season tires ? All-weather tires ? High performance tires ? Easy-riding touring tires ?
I live in the South (where it rains ALOT) and travel quite often, so I think all-season/weather would be best. I would also like ones that offer a smooth ride and improves handling. Thanks so much!
Old 06-06-2021, 01:29 PM
6G TLX-S

The Bridgestone Alenza Sport A/S is a SUV all-season touring tire. It is a brand new model, and so there hasn't been any detailed reviews or tests on this tire. As a result, it is difficult to compare with others when there is no data available.

The following users liked this post:
Bamagirl77 (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 02:20 PM
Instructor

The Bridgestone Alenza Sport A/S is a SUV all-season touring tire. It is a brand new model, and so there hasn't been any detailed reviews or tests on this tire. As a result, it is difficult to compare with others when there is no data available.
I didn't realize the Alenza is a brand new tire. I guess I will keep them on my MDX and see if I like them before I replace them. Thanks so much for the info!
Old 06-26-2021, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Bamagirl77
I live in the South (where it rains ALOT) and travel quite often, so I think all-season/weather would be best. I would also like ones that offer a smooth ride and improves handling. Thanks so much!
Conti DWS-06 is a great tire in the rain, (rains a great deal here) and still offers excellent handling, and low noise along with decent tread life. And it is reasonably priced. I've run sets on mutliple vehicles including our MDX hybrid, as have our son and daughter and everyone likes the tire.
The following 2 users liked this post by MCRacer:
Bamagirl77 (06-26-2021), F23A4 (09-17-2023)
Old 07-15-2021, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Hi all! I have placed an order for a 2022 ADVANCE SH-AWD MDX and it will be here August/September. I have always had Michelin tires and am partial to them. My dealer said once my MDX comes in, they can remove the stock tires and give me a credit towards a set of Michelin's. If I decide to go that route, which Michelin's would you recommend? Also, what are thoughts on the stock Bridgestone Alenza's?
I find the road noise from the Alenza’s to be louder than I had hoped. Honda/Acura doesn’t do a great job of isolating road noise. I have had two CRV’s, a 2019 RDX and now the 2022 MDX Advance. All of them have substantially more road noise than my two Toyota Highlanders. If you get a reasonable credit toward a set of tires that would run quieter I recommend you switch them out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cazman:
Bamagirl77 (07-15-2021), Esym (12-29-2023)
Old 07-25-2021, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
I am partial to Michelin tires also, but so far the Alenza tires have been great! Run them and replace when worn out.
Bamagirl77 (07-27-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 07:22 PM
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine came with the Bridgestones and they are noisy on some types of asphalt. I'll replace them with Michelin LTX which are quieter.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:31 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by Esym
Mine came with the Bridgestones and they are noisy on some types of asphalt. I'll replace them with Michelin LTX which are quieter.
One drawback for the Michelin Premier LTX is that it wears out fast.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:55 PM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The OEM Bridgestones are complete garbage. I replaced them with Michelin Primarcy A/S and the difference in ride and road noise is like night and day.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:51 AM
Instructor

Cool Finally in Transit

Thank you all so very much for the input. Mine is finally in transit to the dealership. I am deciding between the Michelin Defenders and the Michelin Primacy Tours. I texted my salesman yesterday and asked him to get with the service advisor on how much it will be to swap them out. From my understanding, the dealership will give me a credit for the Alenza's and I will only pay the difference on the Michelin's. I would love some advice on the Defenders and Primacy Tours.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:18 AM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you all so very much for the input. Mine is finally in transit to the dealership. I am deciding between the Michelin Defenders and the Michelin Primacy Tours. I texted my salesman yesterday and asked him to get with the service advisor on how much it will be to swap them out. From my understanding, the dealership will give me a credit for the Alenza's and I will only pay the difference on the Michelin's. I would love some advice on the Defenders and Primacy Tours.
The Primacy Tours were designed more for a quiet ride and are more performance orientated than the Defender LTX’s. The Defenders are definitely more of a truck tire.
Bamagirl77 (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 08:40 AM
8th Gear

I'd still suggest the LTXs. Have used them for 15 years on Lexus SUVs with great success. Have had 2 RLs that came with MXM (now Primarcy) and found them too hard and noises. Swapped both out with the dealer on purchase. See if you find a vehicle with LTXs to test drive.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts
The bridgestones i bought for my TL are ridiculously noisy.. i regret putting them on and wish I went with my usual Michelin's instead.
Old 08-20-2021, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Looks like LTXs are not available in the size I need. I am going to stop in this afternoon and ask. I didn't realize that Defenders were for trucks. I really appreciate all the info! My MDX is on its way so I want to get my tires ordered so they will be here when my vehicle gets here.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:41 AM
8th Gear

Tire Rack has a good calculator to see equivalent sizes. It's common for auto manufacturers to use a new, unique size so they can get a better (lower) price from the tire maker. The unique size guarantees them the replacement market. All you need is a tire with the same overall diameter (within 1 or 2%) - the tire calculator figures this out.
Bamagirl77 (08-22-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 02:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
I replaced the Bridgestones on my '22 advance with Michelin Premier LTX's to try to get a quieter and smoother ride. They are a bit quieter but the ride did not improve - still rather harsh. It's the way this suspension is designed. Anyway, the new Premier LTX's include a "DT" suffix - not on the tire, but in the description. My manager at Discount Tire says it stands for "different tread". He said many complaints concerning the Premier's lousy wear caused Michelin to make a change. He said the tread looks the same on my new tires as the old Premier's but definitely had a deeper tread than before. SO, maybe they have improved them to last longer.
Bamagirl77 (12-04-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 05:03 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by scout27
I replaced the Bridgestones on my '22 advance with Michelin Premier LTX's to try to get a quieter and smoother ride. They are a bit quieter but the ride did not improve - still rather harsh. It's the way this suspension is designed. Anyway, the new Premier LTX's include a "DT" suffix - not on the tire, but in the description. My manager at Discount Tire says it stands for "different tread". He said many complaints concerning the Premier's lousy wear caused Michelin to make a change. He said the tread looks the same on my new tires as the old Premier's but definitely had a deeper tread than before. SO, maybe they have improved them to last longer.
The ride would be more of an issue with the air pressure and suspension settings (something you can change in the MDX). Some good info here -- there's more than one version of the LTX. - A/S vs M/S. And the M/S has a subtype 2. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...nder+LTX+M%2FS
The following 2 users liked this post by Esym:
Almatti (12-03-2021), Bamagirl77 (12-04-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 05:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
The ride would be more of an issue with the air pressure and suspension settings (something you can change in the MDX). Some good info here -- there's more than one version of the LTX. - A/S vs M/S. And the M/S has a subtype 2. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...nder+LTX+M%2FS
I wish the suspension settings actually changed the ride comfort. Unfortunately, we now have what are called "adaptive dampers" that are fixed and do their own thing and are NOT adjustable dampers as in the past for "built for US" models. Those built for Canadian models are apparently the adjustable versions. Why - I can't tell you. The upcoming Type S will most likely be adjustable, also. Your individual suspension settings for our US bound MDX's can't possibly substantially change anything as far as smoothing out or tightening the dampers. The "apparent" capability to change those settings are only functional for Canadian and possibly Type S versions. I REALLY wish the US bound MDX's had the adjustable dampers like before and are available on the US TLX's. I'd like to mellow out the somewhat harsh ride that allows every minor road imperfection to be felt. Works well with the very excellent SHAWD, but still-----.

Last edited by scout27; 08-31-2021 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:42 PM
8th Gear

My 2022 MDX has ride adjustments (which I assume control the shocks & damping) - and they have quite an effect.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:38 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by scout27
I wish the suspension settings actually changed the ride comfort. Unfortunately, we now have what are called "adaptive dampers" that are fixed and do their own thing and are NOT adjustable dampers as in the past for "built for US" models. Those built for Canadian models are apparently the adjustable versions. Why - I can't tell you. The upcoming Type S will most likely be adjustable, also. Your individual suspension settings for our US bound MDX's can't possibly substantially change anything as far as smoothing out or tightening the dampers. The "apparent" capability to change those settings are only functional for Canadian and possibly Type S versions. I REALLY wish the US bound MDX's had the adjustable dampers like before and are available on the US TLX's. I'd like to mellow out the somewhat harsh ride that allows every minor road imperfection to be felt. Works well with the very excellent SHAWD, but still-----.
Not true on the Canadian 4G MDX. I test drove a Canadian 4G MDX, and it didn't have adjustable suspension (despite Acura website says it has). The salesman told me that only the top of the line Platinum-Elite MDX trim had adjustable suspension, much like how the 2G TLX trims are equipped.

In my opinion, adjustable suspension is a feature that all luxury class automobiles should have, because with it, a driver can choose the ride quality at any given road conditions, and not to be held hostage by punishing wide wheels and low profile tires.

Old 12-02-2021, 03:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Another tire option you may want to consider. Goodyear Assurance Maxlife! On Tire Rack they are highly rated, above Micheline I think and are $220 per tire with 85,000-mile warranty! I can wait for my Bridgestone tires to ware out so I can replace with these. I have had these on my last 2 vehicles (2014 Kia Sorento & 2021 Kia Telluride). The 2014 Sorento had 290,000 miles when I traded it for the Telluride and had 2 sets of the Goodyear’s on it. First set went 90,000 before needing replaced and the second set had about 60 when traded but still looked new. Installed in the Telluride and had 45,000 on them when I sold it. Those still looked brand new too. I had Micheline tires on the Sorento when bought new and after installing the Goodyear tire, I noticed a defiant improvement in wet traction, better handling on dry pavement, were much quieter and even smoothed out the ride noticeably.
Bamagirl77 (12-04-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 03:37 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by md2069
The OEM Bridgestones are complete garbage. I replaced them with Michelin Primarcy A/S and the difference in ride and road noise is like night and day.
MD2069, I think yiou are a bit Harsh calling the OEM Bridgestone Tires as Garbage. I have my MDX Advance since August. Now with 2400 miles on the clock. I don't finf tem to be garbage. I never had Michelin Primacys on any of my cars; But have purchased other Michelin tires in the past (althouigh I don't recall which one or Have had then as OEMs ).

So, did you need to spend upwards $1k for a complete new set of tires on a Brand New Car? Or were you able to do a switch with an upgrade cost? Did yopu do this at delivery opf yu car or aftyer you put miles on it? I'm curious? Was it just a "noise" factor or other aspects of the OEMs you didn't like? I've taken some 280 mile round trips on a few acoaasions to South Jersey on the Turnpike in the past 3 months. I found the Bridgestones more than adequate , very smooth on the Turnpike , and provided good rain performance. No snow yet, but we will see about that, I'm sure pretty soon.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:01 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Originally Posted by RebelShadow
Another tire option you may want to consider. Goodyear Assurance Maxlife! On Tire Rack they are highly rated, above Micheline I think and are $220 per tire with 85,000-mile warranty! I can wait for my Bridgestone tires to ware out so I can replace with these. I have had these on my last 2 vehicles (2014 Kia Sorento & 2021 Kia Telluride). The 2014 Sorento had 290,000 miles when I traded it for the Telluride and had 2 sets of the Goodyear’s on it. First set went 90,000 before needing replaced and the second set had about 60 when traded but still looked new. Installed in the Telluride and had 45,000 on them when I sold it. Those still looked brand new too. I had Micheline tires on the Sorento when bought new and after installing the Goodyear tire, I noticed a defiant improvement in wet traction, better handling on dry pavement, were much quieter and even smoothed out the ride noticeably.
RebelShadow (cool Name, BTW), Tire experiences vary so much. I replaced the OEM Dunlop tires on our 2016 Honda CRV Touring (18" wheels), which had 36.5K miles with Goodyear Aurrance WeatherReady tires just a month ago.The provided a "Day and Night" difference in ride and noise (quieter) over the OEMs. Smoother riding for sure. No fould weather experiences yet. I sense just a noitch down in handling though. But I would go with these in a Nano-second over the Dunlops. The deal was Great: In Total [$950 for the tires, mounting and balancing AND the old tire disposal fee {what BS that is}, and the famous TPMS on each} Less $200 Goodyar Rebate on the purchase of 4 AND I use their 0% for 6 months feature on their credit card. In total I got a nice new set of quality tires for $750 (incluing taxes, etc.). I noticed the difference as soon as I drove off form the Tire Center.
Regarding the replacement of the OEMs on the 2022 MDX , so far am I pleased with the tire, and Yes, there are better tires out there (Michelin Primacy A/S or M/S , or others), but I would not shell out another $1k to replace them. I'm not certain , but would a dealer give me credit toward new Michelins on the OEMs on my car with 2400 miles?
Old 12-03-2021, 07:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
RebelShadow (cool Name, BTW), Tire experiences vary so much. I replaced the OEM Dunlop tires on our 2016 Honda CRV Touring (18" wheels), which had 36.5K miles with Goodyear Aurrance WeatherReady tires just a month ago.The provided a "Day and Night" difference in ride and noise (quieter) over the OEMs. Smoother riding for sure. No fould weather experiences yet. I sense just a noitch down in handling though. But I would go with these in a Nano-second over the Dunlops. The deal was Great: In Total [$950 for the tires, mounting and balancing AND the old tire disposal fee {what BS that is}, and the famous TPMS on each} Less $200 Goodyar Rebate on the purchase of 4 AND I use their 0% for 6 months feature on their credit card. In total I got a nice new set of quality tires for $750 (incluing taxes, etc.). I noticed the difference as soon as I drove off form the Tire Center.
Regarding the replacement of the OEMs on the 2022 MDX , so far am I pleased with the tire, and Yes, there are better tires out there (Michelin Primacy A/S or M/S , or others), but I would not shell out another $1k to replace them. I'm not certain , but would a dealer give me credit toward new Michelins on the OEMs on my car with 2400 miles?
I would venture a guess of not.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:55 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey @Bamagirl77 . Any update on how you like the Bridgestones?
Old 12-24-2021, 05:19 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Originally Posted by St00k
Hey @Bamagirl77 . Any update on how you like the Bridgestones?
So far Bamagirl77, with 2650 K miles on the clock, I am {Pleased with the OEMs Bridgestone tires on my 2022 MDX Advance. I never had Bridgestone tires before. Today on XMas Eve, we got about an Inch of snow. Maybe I can drive in it this korning to see how she handles it. But so far, I feel good grip in the dry and wet roads. And they seem quiet, with no "tire" noise detected.

Happy Holidays !!
Old 12-24-2021, 09:28 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear. I really didn't think Acura would put "loud" tires on an MDX from the factory.... seemed crazy.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Almatti
So far Bamagirl77, with 2650 K miles on the clock, I am {Pleased with the OEMs Bridgestone tires on my 2022 MDX Advance. I never had Bridgestone tires before. Today on XMas Eve, we got about an Inch of snow. Maybe I can drive in it this korning to see how she handles it. But so far, I feel good grip in the dry and wet roads. And they seem quiet, with no "tire" noise detected.

Happy Holidays !!
Hi! I apologize for the late response. It has been a super busy week. I have to admit that I changed out the Bridgestones for Michelin Premier LTX tires. I test drove my vehicle once it got here and thought the OEM tires were rough and noisy. However, I had Michelin Primacy Tours on my 2019 SH-AWD Tech so maybe that was what I was used to. I often wonder if I prematurely judged the Bridgestones. I asked my service manager about the Michelin Defender, the Michelin Premier LTS, and the Michelin Primacy Tours. He suggested the Premier LTX. I kinda wish I would have stuck with the Primacy Tour or gave the OEM tires a fair chance. I have also heard that GoodYear Assurance Tires are top notch as well. After 1,000 miles, I am not sold on the Premier LTX. At this point, there's not really anything I can do except buy another set (which makes zero financial sense). I am glad to hear you are pleased with the OEM tires!
Old 12-27-2021, 07:15 AM
6G TLX-S

One major drawback for the Premier LTX is the fast tire wear. My 3G MDX is now using CrossClimate 2, which is a much better SUV tire in terms of dry/wet traction and snow capability. However, I need to put on more mileage for the CrossClimate 2 in order to determine the tire wear factor.
Bamagirl77 (12-30-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 07:30 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2022 MDX has ride adjustments (which I assume control the shocks & damping) - and they have quite an effect.
Not true on the Canadian 4G MDX. I test drove a Canadian 4G MDX, and it didn't have adjustable suspension (despite Acura website says it has). The salesman told me that only the top of the line Platinum-Elite MDX trim had adjustable suspension, much like how the 2G TLX trims are equipped.
You two are talking about two different things. All 2022 MDX's have Acura's "Integrated Dynamics System", in which you can select a "dynamic mode" (normal, comfort, sport, snow, etc). This adjusts the sensitivity of the car's responses to steering inputs, power inputs, etc. In Canada as well as the U.S., only the MDX Type S has a true ACTIVE suspension system, in which the computers in the car adjust the suspension instantaneously based on road conditions (e.g. hitting a pothole). In Canada as well as the U.S., all trim levels other than the Type S - from the base trim to Canada's Platinum-Elite and the States's Advance, have the same suspension system. What your Canadian salesman told you was wrong.
Almatti (12-09-2023)
Old 12-28-2021, 01:01 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by nsxtasy
You two are talking about two different things. All 2022 MDX's have Acura's "Integrated Dynamics System", in which you can select a "dynamic mode" (normal, comfort, sport, snow, etc). This adjusts the sensitivity of the car's responses to steering inputs, power inputs, etc. In Canada as well as the U.S., only the MDX Type S has a true ACTIVE suspension system, in which the computers in the car adjust the suspension instantaneously based on road conditions (e.g. hitting a pothole). In Canada as well as the U.S., all trim levels other than the Type S - from the base trim to Canada's Platinum-Elite and the States's Advance, have the same suspension system. What your Canadian salesman told you was wrong.
Not only the Canadian salesman, even the official Acura Canada website and all factory published brochures are wrong indicating the all 4G non-Type-S MDX trims are equipped with "Adaptive Damper System". There is no mistake in Acura terminology because "Adaptive Damper System" is standard on the Elite and Type-S trims for the 2G TLX, and this system can adjust suspension stiffness using a control knob inside the car.
Old 12-09-2023, 05:23 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Not only the Canadian salesman, even the official Acura Canada website and all factory published brochures are wrong indicating the all 4G non-Type-S MDX trims are equipped with "Adaptive Damper System". There is no mistake in Acura terminology because "Adaptive Damper System" is standard on the Elite and Type-S trims for the 2G TLX, and this system can adjust suspension stiffness using a control knob inside the car.
Edward, I'm late to this Party, but hope this clarifies the issue a little. I have a 2022 MDX Advance in the USA. The "Adaptive Damper System" is NONexistent on the 22 MDXs Non Type S models. It does exist on the RDXs. Definitely on the Advance modesl but I beleive on the A-Specs too. That is a True Adaptive Damper System [ADS] making Nano second adjustments within the Suspension with Active Dampers. The MDX has a different system called Amplitude Reactive Dampers which were used in the 14-20 MDXs base and in the Tech models. The automatic Adaptive Damper system is used in the RDXs and the Type S MDXs (which also have the Air Suspension feature). Acura DID use the ADS in the Canadien all but he base MDX Models in the revamped MDX 2022- . I intend to consider a a 2024 TYpe S Advance when my 22 MDX lease terminates in August 2024... We will see... I do have the right to buy my 22 MDX for $38,500 which will have about 21K miles on the clock. Now with the Higher Gas prices (I think Higher is more likely in the coming months), and the immense increases in car Loan interest Rates, it gives me as a retiree on fixed income a big Pause.
Old 12-18-2023, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts
I, too, am late to this party, but to add to the last post by Almatti: I live in Canada and we take delivery of a '24 A-Spec this Wednesday, and I can confirm that it does not have ADS. They are "amplitude reactive dampers" which are not active in any way.