AT&T Hotspot not working on '22 models?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 11:58 AM
8th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry AT&T Hotspot not working on '22 models?

Hello,

Just purchased a 2022 MDX and went to set up the AT&T Hotspot when I found this issue. When accessing the "AT&T Hotspot" app from the main infotainment menu, I am met with the error in the picture.

Very strange as AT&T was able to create me a new account based on my vehicles VIN # and appears to be all ready to go including onboarding emails, etc. When I contact Acura support, I am met with "Your vehicle is supported, it should work, call AT&T" to which I call AT&T just to be told to go back to Acura because it is their message about the car that I am receiving.

Poking around on the Internet revealed many with the same issue. I am wondering if it is ALL 2022 MDX owners with this issue, or a smaller subset. If you have a 2022 MDX, do you get the same error when accessing the hotspot app? My dealer is stumped and AT&T and Acura are pointing fingers at each other. All I want is for the advertised feature to work. Can't believe they didn't test this one...

Error when accessing AT&T Hotspot App

Screen after exiting the error.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:58 PM
Drifting

Received 1,268 Likes on 923 Posts
Sorry about your issue. I'm not a fan of the hotspot myself so I would never let it broadcast.

Have you had any issues with the wireless CP/AA?

One more idea: is your AcuraLink fully set up?
Old 03-23-2021, 01:33 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ELIN
Sorry about your issue. I'm not a fan of the hotspot myself so I would never let it broadcast.

Have you had any issues with the wireless CP/AA?

One more idea: is your AcuraLink fully set up?
Thanks Elin,

This is our first Acura, so not very familiar with all the features or how to test them. We are able to connect to the cars Wifi, and the car is able to connect to the home Wifi if we turn off the AT&T portion.

We do not have the AcuraLink service (I think that is a monthly charge?), so not sure how to test it, or how to go about testing that but I will research to see if that is something we can test.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Askeptic
Thanks Elin,

This is our first Acura, so not very familiar with all the features or how to test them. We are able to connect to the cars Wifi, and the car is able to connect to the home Wifi if we turn off the AT&T portion.

We do not have the AcuraLink service (I think that is a monthly charge?), so not sure how to test it, or how to go about testing that but I will research to see if that is something we can test.
Aspects of AcuraLink are free according to the following schedule:

Basic - always free
Remote - 6 month free trial
Concierge - 6 month free trial
Security - 1 year free

https://acuralink.acura.com/#/compat...2022&model=MDX

You can check the above link for how much it costs after your free trial is over. Doesn't hurt to check it out since it's free during the trial period.

You should have received enrollment paperwork from your dealer upon delivery of the vehicle (check your stack of docs).
Old 03-23-2021, 01:59 PM
8th Gear

Thanks!

Just installed the app and connected it to the car. The app says it is connected, but nothing is updating. According to the link you sent, the basic (free) should tell me my mileage and gas, but those are not updating at all. I guess I will add that to the list of the many things that do not work on this car.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:18 PM
Drifting

Thanks!

Just installed the app and connected it to the car. The app says it is connected, but nothing is updating. According to the link you sent, the basic (free) should tell me my mileage and gas, but those are not updating at all. I guess I will add that to the list of the many things that do not work on this car.
You have to allow your phone to talk to the car and vice versa. If you are using an iPhone, go to General -> CarPlay and check that you are connected.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:27 PM
8th Gear

You have to allow your phone to talk to the car and vice versa. If you are using an iPhone, go to General -> CarPlay and check that you are connected.
Thank you, they are connected via Bluetooth which allows for bidirectional communication. We have Carplay disabled and it does not look like Carplay is a requirement according to the manual.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:31 PM
Drifting

My final suggestion is to check the '19 RDX and '21 TLX forums as they would have encountered similar issues already and the interface is nearly identical to your '22 MDX.

Good luck!
Old 03-23-2021, 02:33 PM
8th Gear

UPDATE: I had to open the AcuraLink app on the car to accept the license agreement, afterwards it worked. Thanks for that!
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 02:38 PM
Drifting

UPDATE: I had to open the AcuraLink app on the car to accept the license agreement, afterwards it worked. Thanks for that!
I thought it was something like that. Glad I could help!
Askeptic (03-23-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 04:21 PM
8th Gear

Final Update - Resolution - 3.24.21

I was able to figure out how to fix the issue with the new 2022 Acura MDX's not properly working with the AT&T Hotspot.

First and foremost, the errors shown in the pictures of my original post are cosmetic software bugs. ( Service Not Supported | Error getting data ) These bugs are scheduled to be fixed in the first OTA Infotainment patch from Acura coming sometime in the future. These messages can be ignored for now, as the Hotspot can still work despite them being present.

Steps to resolve the issue. This assumes you have already created an account with AT&T and either have an active subscription with your VIN number or a free trial.

01) Open the AT&T Hotspot app, and turn off the WiFi Hotspot in the upper right. (Make sure the Hotspot is 'RED' Ie. off)
02) Turn off the car and wait 30 seconds.
03) Turn the engine ON and ensure you are in park for safety.
04) Press and hold the (3) individual buttons that are found on the top of the touchpad for ~5 seconds. (Back, Home, and Menu * Guessing at those names, but you will see the three)
05) When you enter a diagnostic menu on your infotainment screen, select "Detail information & settings"
06) Select "Hardware Auto-Detect" which then displays a bunch of hardware that you either have or do not have.
07) Hold the touchpad down and swipe with another finger to scroll to the bottom where you want to then select "Apply"
08) Select 'OK' to the pop-up "Align System Application from FactorySetting information is done"
09) Click "YES" to the pop-up "The system will be restarted. Is this OK?"
10) The Infotainment system will then reboot itself.
11) When the system comes back up, go to your AT&T Hotspot all and click through the errors as normal. Then re-enable your WiFi Hotspot so that it turns green.

** Your AT&T Hotspot should now be functioning as it should, despite the cosmetic errors. **

Hopefully these directions will help others as it appears to be effecting all 2022 models at the moment. At this time, Acura Relations and dealerships are unaware of the fix, and those who know about the issue are not informing the call centers so it is very frustrating.

~ Cheers
The following 3 users liked this post by Askeptic:
Almatti (10-12-2021), Boomer1972O (09-20-2021), ELIN (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 04:25 PM
Drifting

How do you like the TrueTouch interface so far?
Old 03-24-2021, 05:17 PM
8th Gear

How do you like the TrueTouch interface so far?
Hi Elin,

Personally, I love it. It works VERY well for 95% of the functions it is used for. The other 5% I don't use much (writing, etc.) so not a big deal. I do not like touching screens and getting them filthy, so the fact that I can not do that anyway makes me happy. The TrueTouch did not take long to get use to and I miss it dearly when in my Honda Ridgeline.
ELIN (03-24-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Hi Elin,

Personally, I love it. It works VERY well for 95% of the functions it is used for. The other 5% I don't use much (writing, etc.) so not a big deal. I do not like touching screens and getting them filthy, so the fact that I can not do that anyway makes me happy. The TrueTouch did not take long to get use to and I miss it dearly when in my Honda Ridgeline.
I had the same experience as you when I had a 2020 RDX as a loaner for a long weekend. It only took me about 15 minutes to develop the muscle memory to use the pad. Also, I discovered a shortcut that is very useful: If you "click" the slider (right side of pad), it instantly swaps the contents of the large and small portions of the screen.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Question about the hotspot: what's the point of it? I know you probably get some free trial, but after it's gone, you have to pay for additional data, right? Why not just use your phone's hotspot?
Esym (04-16-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 12:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by schen72
Question about the hotspot: what's the point of it? I know you probably get some free trial, but after it's gone, you have to pay for additional data, right? Why not just use your phone's hotspot?
Not everyone has an unlimited plan or a plan that offers a hot spot feature for your phone w/o additional cost.

I'm not a fan of auto hot spots as I prefer less active antennas broadcasting in the car.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Not everyone has an unlimited plan or a plan that offers a hot spot feature for your phone w/o additional cost.

I'm not a fan of auto hot spots as I prefer less active antennas broadcasting in the car.
I know with the car's hotspot, you might get better signal due to the external cellular antenna.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:41 PM
Drifting

I know with the car's hotspot, you might get better signal due to the external cellular antenna.
I guess you have to take the good with the bad. I like a little less radiation in my life.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:25 AM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Hey, I saw those "cosmetic errors," too, after I signed up for the AT&T Hotspot service -- but, I didn't go through all the steps OP did (diagnostic menu, etc.). I just knew it was working like it was supposed to when it said "Hotspot is On" in green on the top right corner of the screen. I just thought, Why would it say "Service Not Supported" when it clearly was? It's built in to the 2022 MDX, as touted by both Acura and AT&T marketing. Why put the AT&T Hotspot icon on the infotainment screen if it's "not supported?" Made zero sense to display that error on the screen.

What confirmed it was working was when my iPhone 11 Pro Max picked up the car's AT&T signal in its list of Networks and connected right away when I entered the SSID and password shown in the AT&T Hotspot settings.

I was going to call Acura Customer Support and AT&T eventually about the bogus "Service Not Supported" and "Error Getting Data" marquees. Thanks, OP, for saving me from making that call. I'll just look for the OTA to make them go away.
ELIN (03-30-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 10:30 AM
8th Gear

I had the same experience as you when I had a 2020 RDX as a loaner for a long weekend. It only took me about 15 minutes to develop the muscle memory to use the pad. Also, I discovered a shortcut that is very useful: If you "click" the slider (right side of pad), it instantly swaps the contents of the large and small portions of the screen.
Awesome, thanks for sharing! That is a nice shortcut indeed. I have already used it multiple times!

You are correct. An additional plan is required once the free trial comes to an end. My kids enjoy the hotspot because without it, it would mean no Internet for their devices in the car. The wife and I enjoy it because it means the kids aren't fighting each other. We could tether our cell phones, but neither of us pay the cell bill, our work does in agreement that we don't see how high we can get the data. The car also gets much better cell reception than a small cell phone on a battery due to the power the car can provide. We are able to get a cell signal back in the woods where we do most of our driving as apposed to a cell phone that can never get more than a single bar. To each their own though.

Originally Posted by birdonamission
I was going to call Acura Customer Support and AT&T eventually about the bogus "Service Not Supported" and "Error Getting Data" marquees. Thanks, OP, for saving me from making that call. I'll just look for the OTA to make them go away.
Awesome, glad it helped! I think the most annoying part of it was working with Acura. They never told me this was cosmetic, I had to find friends in the IT department via social media to get the info. In fact, Acura relations still has not returned my phone call for my case which they promised to reach out 2 weeks ago now. Very poor service! ATT also claimed my car wasn't supported because Acura hasn't worked with them to update the fact that it is... so both sides made this frustrating

Acura - TLSA (Hotspot) 2022 MDX
. I am glad it just works when set up via the website, and that it is simply cosmetic and will be fixed soon.
birdonamission (04-02-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 09:31 AM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
This is a known software bug and an OTA update will be released soon to address this concern.

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-mdx-...essage-993335/

Last edited by EE4Life; 04-11-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:56 PM
Banned

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Any Canadian MDXers here who got this to work ? I tried it and it said this is not supported like wtf...Planning to email the dealer later today after trying it a few more times - I was in a rush in the morning and didnt get a chance to play with the settings much. Ill try the steps above as well - thanks !

Last edited by TypeAcura; 04-13-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:19 AM
Banned

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
For any Canadian MDXers who may be getting the error "service is not supported". When you register, enter your home address first. If it doesent take you to the Bell redirect page - then enter your dealers mailing address and their postal code. That will allow you to complete the registration. You can always go back in later and change the address back later on. Hotspot works really well now and the kids are loving it
Old 08-19-2021, 07:36 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts
I am ignorant concerning Hot Spots? What are the benefits of having Hot Spots? If you are connected via BT , why do you need it? Is it a Floating WiFi? Elin may be right, do we really need more Radio waves in our lives? While I'm at it, The new 2022 MDX had Alexa access. I use Alexa at Home mostly to play Web based radio stations/ Streaming. Then Turn it off, as it "listens" to your every conversation and Records it - Google in your daily Life!!!. So, if I have my Echo in the Off position, will Alexa still be available in the Car while driving? I don't have it, but I guess you could control lighting , heating, lights, etc., if they are connected via Alexa..
Old 08-22-2021, 09:47 AM
2022 MDX Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Final Update - Resolution - 3.24.21

I was able to figure out how to fix the issue with the new 2022 Acura MDX's not properly working with the AT&T Hotspot.

First and foremost, the errors shown in the pictures of my original post are cosmetic software bugs. ( Service Not Supported | Error getting data ) These bugs are scheduled to be fixed in the first OTA Infotainment patch from Acura coming sometime in the future. These messages can be ignored for now, as the Hotspot can still work despite them being present.

Steps to resolve the issue. This assumes you have already created an account with AT&T and either have an active subscription with your VIN number or a free trial.

01) Open the AT&T Hotspot app, and turn off the WiFi Hotspot in the upper right. (Make sure the Hotspot is 'RED' Ie. off)
02) Turn off the car and wait 30 seconds.
03) Turn the engine ON and ensure you are in park for safety.
04) Press and hold the (3) individual buttons that are found on the top of the touchpad for ~5 seconds. (Back, Home, and Menu * Guessing at those names, but you will see the three)
05) When you enter a diagnostic menu on your infotainment screen, select "Detail information & settings"
06) Select "Hardware Auto-Detect" which then displays a bunch of hardware that you either have or do not have.
07) Hold the touchpad down and swipe with another finger to scroll to the bottom where you want to then select "Apply"
08) Select 'OK' to the pop-up "Align System Application from FactorySetting information is done"
09) Click "YES" to the pop-up "The system will be restarted. Is this OK?"
10) The Infotainment system will then reboot itself.
11) When the system comes back up, go to your AT&T Hotspot all and click through the errors as normal. Then re-enable your WiFi Hotspot so that it turns green.

** Your AT&T Hotspot should now be functioning as it should, despite the cosmetic errors. **

Hopefully these directions will help others as it appears to be effecting all 2022 models at the moment. At this time, Acura Relations and dealerships are unaware of the fix, and those who know about the issue are not informing the call centers so it is very frustrating.

~ Cheers
Thank you!!! This worked for me.

Sounds like it performs a full reset of the infotainment system and allows the ATT Hotspot to start functioning.

Hurray!
Old 08-28-2021, 07:19 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Joeliu2003, so You must subscribe to AT & T Hotspot service at $20 / MO? I thought there was a free 90 day trial? My dealer just told me that it is not so.... I would have to enroll. I don't really need WiFi Hot spot. But it would be nice to be able to use Alexa which is included. The dealer - Curry Acura in Scarsdale NY, has "instructional classes" on Fridays !!! He told me He will show me a way to create a Hotspot on My Smart phone (Google Pixel 4XL) and avoid having to pay for this monthly service.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:54 AM
2022 MDX Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
Joeliu2003, so You must subscribe to AT & T Hotspot service at $20 / MO? I thought there was a free 90 day trial? My dealer just told me that it is not so.... I would have to enroll. I don't really need WiFi Hot spot. But it would be nice to be able to use Alexa which is included. The dealer - Curry Acura in Scarsdale NY, has "instructional classes" on Fridays !!! He told me He will show me a way to create a Hotspot on My Smart phone (Google Pixel 4XL) and avoid having to pay for this monthly service.
Yes, $200 a year billed to my corporate card
Old 10-12-2021, 07:21 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Great info here. I need to try the Prescription provided here. I have my Google PIXEL 4XL tethered to use the HOTSPOT when I access it. I only have used it with Alexa!! No kids playing games, etc. I get the same Screens with AT&T HOTSPOT comnnection attempts. I got that even though I signed up with AT&T to engage my free 90 day trial. They sent me an email confirming and thanking me for same. But when I click the link on the email, which goes to their site , it shows me having an AUDI car , not an Acura....??? WTF.

I'm going to try what was layed out , and Disengage the Phone's HOTSPOT to see if it will work. I don't have any desire to sign up for AT&T HOTSPOT for $15 / mo. Don't need that when I have Unlimited Cell Service with Verizon. But I do want to determine whether it works since Acura "gives" it to you.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:58 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I am running into this same problem with a 22 Tech. Is anyone else still going through this with a 22 MY? I'm going to try the steps above to see if that works.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:36 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Originally Posted by Jay6speed
I am running into this same problem with a 22 Tech. Is anyone else still going through this with a 22 MY? I'm going to try the steps above to see if that works.
Jay6speed, althiugh this is old, I eneded up subscribing to AT&T's mobile service just for this service - I am a Sucker at times, driven by technology and OCD. I took the annual subsription at a discount of $150 (+/-). After my salsesperson got the Hotspot feature to work on My Google Pixel 4XL phone, I couldn't reconnect it. AT&T service is atrocious .... I could never get the 90 day trial to work right. AT&T would send me confirmation that the service was for my new Audi??? I can't sign in to the account which i had to create when i engaged the annual service. When this expires, I won't re up.