Gas Pedal (and Floor) Vibration - 2022 Advanced

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 11:32 AM
1st Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Gas Pedal (and Floor) Vibration - 2022 Advanced

Hi all,

I've had my '22 MDX Advanced for about a month now. When keeping my foot steady on the gas pedal, I feel a light vibration or buzzing in my foot. When using ACC and placing my foot on the floor near the pedals you can also feel a similar albeit reduced vibration. The vibration happens both on smooth and rough roads though I think it is better on smooth roads. I also feel like it happens at all speeds.

I took the car to Acura Service and went on a drive with a technician who said he doesn't feel any buzzing in the gas pedal; I however made a point he may not be feeling the buzzing because he is wearing heavy work boots. In any case, when he was in the passenger seat he did acknowledge very faint buzzing under the floor. We then proceeded to drive around a '22 MDX loaner (with over 4k miles on it) - I admitted that although I did feel some electronic buzzing in the pedal, it did seem like it was less than my car. Surprisingly though, the technician said he noticed a considerable about of vibration on the passenger side; indeed when I sat in the passenger side there was a significant amount of vibration under the mat (felt very similar to the buzzing I am feeling through the gas pedal of my car). Overall a confusing situation but at least provided a bit of clarity that the issue was not just specific to my car.

We then discussed all the possible causes mentioned online:
  • Wheel bearings: technician said that the first sign is a loud noise coming from the wheels at high speeds - I don't have such a noise
  • VCM (variable cylinder management): I forget the specific reasons cited by the tech. but basically said that any issues with the VCM would not present themselves as this type of vibration
  • Wheel alignment: said you would feel much more shaking including the steering wheel. They offered to do wheel alignment but only at a cost to me which I out of principle declined
For good measure, they lifted the car up just to check it out but found no visible issues.

In conclusion the service department said that in the absence of more specific information, they would attribute this vibration as part of the "car characteristics." They also suggested I try not to pay attention to it. I'm however not satisfied with this resolution as this is my 5th Acura in a row and I don't ever recall feeling such a sensation in my foot.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this vibration?

Thanks in advance!
The following 3 users liked this post by LSNYC84:
ABARMDX (06-02-2023), Kamil Spy (03-17-2023), Mdxdriver (10-14-2021)
Old 01-21-2022, 11:04 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LSNYC84
Hi all,

I've had my '22 MDX Advanced for about a month now. When keeping my foot steady on the gas pedal, I feel a light vibration or buzzing in my foot. When using ACC and placing my foot on the floor near the pedals you can also feel a similar albeit reduced vibration. The vibration happens both on smooth and rough roads though I think it is better on smooth roads. I also feel like it happens at all speeds.

I took the car to Acura Service and went on a drive with a technician who said he doesn't feel any buzzing in the gas pedal; I however made a point he may not be feeling the buzzing because he is wearing heavy work boots. In any case, when he was in the passenger seat he did acknowledge very faint buzzing under the floor. We then proceeded to drive around a '22 MDX loaner (with over 4k miles on it) - I admitted that although I did feel some electronic buzzing in the pedal, it did seem like it was less than my car. Surprisingly though, the technician said he noticed a considerable about of vibration on the passenger side; indeed when I sat in the passenger side there was a significant amount of vibration under the mat (felt very similar to the buzzing I am feeling through the gas pedal of my car). Overall a confusing situation but at least provided a bit of clarity that the issue was not just specific to my car.

We then discussed all the possible causes mentioned online:
  • Wheel bearings: technician said that the first sign is a loud noise coming from the wheels at high speeds - I don't have such a noise
  • VCM (variable cylinder management): I forget the specific reasons cited by the tech. but basically said that any issues with the VCM would not present themselves as this type of vibration
  • Wheel alignment: said you would feel much more shaking including the steering wheel. They offered to do wheel alignment but only at a cost to me which I out of principle declined
For good measure, they lifted the car up just to check it out but found no visible issues.

In conclusion the service department said that in the absence of more specific information, they would attribute this vibration as part of the "car characteristics." They also suggested I try not to pay attention to it. I'm however not satisfied with this resolution as this is my 5th Acura in a row and I don't ever recall feeling such a sensation in my foot.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this vibration?

Thanks in advance!
hi same problem here, i switched my tires front to back and issue seems gone. I did reswutch back after 5k miles and it re appeared.

need to check with dealer once again
Old 05-24-2023, 12:38 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Hi OP - Just got a 2023 A-Spec, Im about less than 1K miles and im currently expriencing the same exact vibration as you have described. Its getting to a point to be annoying and its really killing the fun to drive factor of this MDX.

I have not been to dealership yet but I have an appointment next month. Im sure they are going to say the same thing as what they told you but checking Google its says that it might be an exhaust leak? I will try and go to an exhaust shop next month & let them check for leaks.

The following users liked this post:
ABARMDX (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 07:00 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same problem and brought it into the dealership and they stated the same thing. I will have the tires rotated and see if that helps. I am looking to purchase new wheels and tires and if that helps I will let the forum know.
Old 08-05-2023, 08:27 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ABARMDX
I have the same problem and brought it into the dealership and they stated the same thing. I will have the tires rotated and see if that helps. I am looking to purchase new wheels and tires and if that helps I will let the forum know.
Did you ever get new wheels and tires? Curious if that fixed it for you.
Old 08-10-2023, 12:43 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not purchased new tires and wheels yet. I am going to get my current tires (A-Spec standard) rotated and balanced in two weeks. I can provide and update then.
Nospleen (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 05:33 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts
To the OP and others, I suspect the vibration in the gas pedal may be Wheel Balancing. One poster stated that after Switching his wheels (rotating) front to back - the vibration diminished. I'm far from being a Wheel expert but speak from experience. Last week I had the last of 3 Complimentary (Free) oil changes done at my dealership. I had the Wheels rotated too (at cost to me). I say Wheels in liue of the common term Tires - because that's what they do (!). I have a 22 MDX Advance with 14.4K miles on it - leased in August 2021. Over this weekend, I took a long trip - 270 Miles roundtrip - on the Jersey Turnpike. I noticed that hitting about 70 MPH, I felt a slight Shimmy in the car (mostly in the seat, but my wife noticed it too). It was more apparent when driving over very nicely, smooth paved roads (Asphalt - not concrete I-95). Clearly, the dealership did not perform the Wheel Balancing correctly. I allowed myself to be talked into doing the balancing with he rotation. When I did the last rotation & oil change some 6 months earlier, I did NOT re-Balance the Wheels. It remained smooth "as Pie" on the highway. Now I will need to return and insist on having all 4 Wheels Re-Balanced. They will Push Back I'm sure. You don't feel it too much at 60 MPH, but it is more evident at the higher speeds. I should have kept to my instincts and prior experiences with this Vehicle and others. Rebalancing should always be done using Road Force Machines and can depend on how good the Wheel Guy (or Gal) is !! With the light alloys used in these whels, the slightest imbalance is evident. Sometimes, the smallest of Imperfections in any of the Wheels does he same. I come from the day when Steel Wheels were used , whereby, the mechanics wouldm "Static" balance the whels off the car almost archaically compared to today's technologies. The great mechanics then would put the "balanced" wheels on the car, raise the car on a lift to get the drive wheels off the ground, run the car at least 40 MPH (which is about double the speeds on the ground), and Feel the car for any Shimmys or Shakes!!
In a different experience relating to my previous MDX - 2019 MDX Advance - after driving it off the lot and taking it to work the following Monday on the highway, a Shimmy was immediately detected. FF to al least 3 Bring Backs and drives with technicians, it wsa finally determined that I had a bent wheel- a bent wheel cannot ever be Balanced properly. After a tassle with the Service manager, they caved in and gave me a new Wheel. I insisted on Road Force Balancing of all the Wheels (again), and the Shimmy was gone!! It my persistence and "squeaking" that got this done. Shame on the dealership for making this a struggle to get one new Wheel (which was Under New Car Warranty). No I did not hit anything in the road. i was annoyed bc of the hassle of all the bringbacks and their Cheapskate manuvers of not getting a new Wheel. They wanted to Repair the Wheel - I said absolutely NOT - New Wheel Only. A 2007 Infiniti G35X I had back then, exhibited a "rough or abrupt" shift after a year of ownership. When i brough the G35X in, the Service Advisor acknowledged that the Tech who took it for drive, felt the same. A New Tranny was ordered and installed in 3 days! No Hassles whatsoever. I'm not sure if that would occur any longer in the New Norm Days.
OttoCycle (09-07-2024)
Old 08-23-2023, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I dont think the wheel vibration that you mentioned above is the same case for the gas pedal vibration? The gas pedal vibration that I have is like an electric buzzing feeling, almost continuous vibration and you can feel the gear changes, the accelaeration and the road especially if its rough. Its really annoying!
Btw I already rotated my tires and still the same issue.
Stephenpaul85 (08-26-2023)
Old 06-14-2024, 01:45 PM
1st Gear

I have this issue since last year with my 2022 MDX advance and the same buzzing /vibration on the gas pedal. I noticed mine is more noticeable when on uphill. The road I drive on are all asphalt, no concrete nor gravel.

Its kinda disappointing that I have this on my MDX and I already brought it in four time for other warranty issues (1.PGM-FI Idle Stop Software Update 2.Tie Rod Clunking 3.Sunroof motor replacement 4.Sunroof frame replacement).

I got the RDX Aspec Advance as loaner and that one is kinda smooth gas acceleration and didnt noticed any gas pedal vibration.

I am wondering if this has something to do with the front drive train system.
Old 09-19-2024, 04:30 PM
1st Gear

I just bought 2022 advance mdx. It’s my third. Same buzzing vibration on floor and gas pedal. It varies between mildly noticeable to uncomfortable - like it tickles my foot and I have to move it around to make the sensation stop. Acura mechanic said same as other posters- car characteristic.
It very much feels to me something in the drive train. Definitely not tire balance.
its gotten worse through my first 1000 miles with the car. Its bad enough now that I will need to trade it in for something else. Which seems ridiculous. There has to be a fix. Greatly appreciate any ideas.