Dynamic Modes Not Being Saved

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021 | 01:25 PM
10th Gear

Angry Dynamic Modes Not Being Saved

Is anyone else having issues getting the 2022 MDX to save their dynamic mode? We've had 2 RDXs and this is our second MDX and we've never had it default back to Normal every single time before. I've read the manual and know that some dynamic modes will default back to others (page 453), but shouldn't we be able to save our settings using the keyless access memory? We've gone in and customized it using the Individual Mode and tried to save it multiple times and every time the dashboard and settings go back to Normal. I don't even care if my husband and I have to share one, but the MDX isn't even remembering what we last used.

It's really frustrating to buy a $60K+ SUV and not have basic functions that we had before. This is on top of the HUD adjustment button not working (our dealership has ordered a new one), and one of the buttons on the steering wheel not working 100% of the time. The dealership has the MDX, waiting on the HUD replacement, and they said they'll go over the dynamic mode stuff when I pick it up, but they mentioned showing me the manual, which I've already told them I did, so I fear I'm going to get the runaround when I go back next week. They said they haven't had any other customers have this issue, which is really surprising to me. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Old 03-26-2021 | 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't have the new MDX yet (waiting for prices to get much lower than MSRP) but maybe check if your remote key fob is changing the mode when you unlock the car? In our other Acuras, my wife and I share the same key, so I unlinked the key fob to the memory settings.
Old 03-26-2021 | 01:45 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for replying, schen72! I've never considered unlinking the key fobs since we've always just had our own. We have key settings for each of us for the seats (my husband is a lot taller than me) and radio, etc. so we like that it changes it when unlocking. The new MDX isn't saving any dynamic modes for either of us. No matter what we change them to, it defaults back to Normal and the generic dashboard every time the engine is turned off. If the dealership thinks unlinking the key fobs would help we would be fine with doing it and pushing the setting button each time, but to me it just seems to be a glitch.
Old 03-26-2021 | 06:12 PM
mrgold35

Does anyone know if the +19 RDX or the +21 TLX has the same issue not saving your preferred IDS mode?
Old 03-26-2021 | 06:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Does anyone know if the +19 RDX or the +21 TLX has the same issue not saving your preferred IDS mode?
I’ve got a ‘20 RDX and I haven’t had an issue with the IDS mode not being saved. I only use the one fob though.
Old 03-26-2021 | 07:28 PM
10th Gear

Thanks, mrgold and andre for your responses! Everyone here knows more about how the key fobs work than me, but I would be surprised if that’s the issue for us. We just got the MDX on March 8th and my husband has pretty much only been in it to do some settings, not to really drive it yet. So it’s not saving my dynamic mode every day, and on the occasion that he sat down to test it out, it hasn’t saved his either. We wouldn’t mind if it just kept one setting because we can agree on it, but we’ve tried to save different ones with both fobs and it just goes back to Normal.

I’m glad to read that the ‘20 RDX saves whatever you last used at the very least, since our previous Acura was a 2017 MDX and I was afraid maybe they had just changed something since then.
Old 03-27-2021 | 11:10 AM
Drifting

The Drive Select only goes back to Normal or Comfort, whichever was the last setting. This has been true of the '19 RDX and the '21 TLX.

If you were in Normal mode and then chose Sport before turning off your ignition. Your next startup mode will be "Normal."

If you were in IDS mode (with your personal settings) and then turn off the ignition, the next time you restart the car, it will be in either Normal or Comfort (setting before you pushed the Acura button). Your personalized IDS settings only come back when you push the Acura Button.

Acura won't tell you this but the real reason Acura doesn't want you to start the car in "Sport" or an IDS where the engine is selected as "Sport" is because it would hurt the fuel economy in a "default configuration", which is how the EPA tests cars. Your Acura rep either honestly doesn't know how the IDS works (shame on them) or knows the truth and giving you the run around.
The following users liked this post:
Gen4MDX (03-31-2021)
Old 03-27-2021 | 12:02 PM
10th Gear

Thanks, ELIN! The manual mentions that it will default back to Normal or Comfort, but I was hoping that since it mentions the keyless remote access at the top that it would save our personalized settings instead of defaulting back. I'm not one bit surprised that they don't want the engine idle feature turned off automatically. Of course that feature drives me crazy and it's the main reason I want to use the individual settings. Otherwise I have to push the button to turn if off every time I drive it. (Side note, my husband drives a 2019 Audi S5 with the same feature, and he said it's much smoother than the Acura, so I feel slightly justified in hating it in every Acura I've gotten as a loaner with it. Our 2017 MDX didn't have it.)

Am I reading your reply correctly that if I just hit the Acura button on the dynamic mode knob that it will go back to the individual settings I created?

Time will tell how our dealership will present this to me next week, since they're still waiting on the HUD replacement. 🤔
Old 03-27-2021 | 12:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sebu
Am I reading your reply correctly that if I just hit the Acura button on the dynamic mode knob that it will go back to the individual settings I created?
Yes, that's correct. Pressing the Acura button on the dynamic mode knob restores all your personalized IDS settings.

Whether you get rid of the engine idle feature using the dedicated button or by pressing the Acura button that has your IDS w/the feature disabled, it requires the press of a button EVERY TIME you start the car. I'm 99% positive this is by design.
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
Esym (04-25-2021), Gen4MDX (03-31-2021)
Old 03-27-2021 | 12:41 PM
10th Gear

Thanks, ELIN! I suppose the constant button pushing isn't a surprise for the engine idle, my husband says the Audi is the same way, but at least pressing the Acura button will give us more customization at the same time. We used to have to press a button to dismiss the warning message every time anyway, so it's not the end of the world. It just seemed so bizarre to offer so many options (including the dashboard set up) and then refuse to save it. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Hopefully this is the only round of issues we encounter with it because we really do enjoy it otherwise. Fingers crossed we get positive results next week when we pick it up!
The following 2 users liked this post by Sebu:
ELIN (03-27-2021), Gen4MDX (03-31-2021)
Old 03-27-2021 | 02:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

According to the manual, Each keyless remote has it's own individual settings.

The manual says it says each keyless remote saves it's own mode, but that just means that the "last mode" is saved for each remote.
So you're still (probably) switching. but one person may be switching to comfort, while the other is switching to normal.

Old 03-27-2021 | 02:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
According to the manual, Each keyless remote has it's own individual settings.

The manual says it says each keyless remote saves it's own mode, but that just means that the "last mode" is saved for each remote.
So you're still (probably) switching. but one person may be switching to comfort, while the other is switching to normal.
Point is, you can't get away from pushing the Acura button on the dynamic mode knob if you want your settings back.

This is the "curse" that has been handed down since the '19 RDX.
Old 03-27-2021 | 03:09 PM
10th Gear

Thanks, Chod, for your response! We haven't had it long enough to know much for sure, but my husband has only driven it one time. He got in it one day to set up his seat, dynamic mode (Sport mainly for the red dashboard), etc. and didn't drive it until another day. Since we bought it, it's ignored every effort I made to save Sport mode or individual driving modes, without his key fob even being near the SUV to confuse it. Our 2017 MDX wasn't perfect with the dynamic modes; sometimes I would get in a day after him and it would be set to Sport, but I figured that was because we don't lock it in our garage, and it didn't change a lot of the settings when I would start it up. Since it didn't have the annoying engine idle feature I just let it go. Now that I want to turn off the engine idle every time, I was hoping that if the MDX would revert to Sport mode or an individual mode that had it disabled, I could avoid the engine idle. I suspect that what ELIN is saying is the case - that Acura doesn't want it to default to having it disabled and I have to push a button to do it, either using the actual disable button or the Acura button to flip to my individual driving mode preferences. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Old 03-27-2021 | 03:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ELIN
The Drive Select only goes back to Normal or Comfort, whichever was the last setting. This has been true of the '19 RDX and the '21 TLX.

If you were in Normal mode and then chose Sport before turning off your ignition. Your next startup mode will be "Normal."

If you were in IDS mode (with your personal settings) and then turn off the ignition, the next time you restart the car, it will be in either Normal or Comfort (setting before you pushed the Acura button). Your personalized IDS settings only come back when you push the Acura Button.

Acura won't tell you this but the real reason Acura doesn't want you to start the car in "Sport" or an IDS where the engine is selected as "Sport" is because it would hurt the fuel economy in a "default configuration", which is how the EPA tests cars. Your Acura rep either honestly doesn't know how the IDS works (shame on them) or knows the truth and giving you the run around.
Unless I’m not understanding the explanation, I shut my RDX (‘20) off in Sport mode (IDS), it remains in Sport mode the next time I start it. It doesn’t change back to Normal or Comfort.

Last edited by andre12dbsi; 03-27-2021 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2021 | 03:57 PM
10th Gear

Andre, that's how our previous Acuras have behaved too, which is why this seemed so weird and frustrating.
Esym (04-25-2021)
Old 03-27-2021 | 04:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by andre12dbsi
Unless I’m not understanding the explanation, I shut my RDX (‘20) off in Sport mode (IDS), it remains in Sport mode the next time I start it. It doesn’t change back to Normal or Comfort.
Andre, you are correct. I checked your RDX manual and the IDS works different from the TLX and the MDX.

Attached is a screenshot from the MDX manual, which describes the same behavior with my '21 TLX. My guess is the '21 TLX and '22 MDX are close enough in model year that they behave the same in software for the IDS. The RDX is the outlier since it was first.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...BTYA2222OM.PDF
Attached Thumbnails Dynamic Modes Not Being Saved-mdx-ids.png  
andre12dbsi (03-27-2021)
Old 03-28-2021 | 03:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by ELIN
Point is, you can't get away from pushing the Acura button on the dynamic mode knob if you want your settings back.

This is the "curse" that has been handed down since the '19 RDX.
I made the keyless remote in response to this comment:
> We wouldn’t mind if it just kept one setting because we can agree on it,

As far as the whole mode switching thing - it's be stated pretty clearly how it works,
and it's also stated as so in the manual. Like it or not.
I think it's particularly silly not to stay in 'individual', but whatever. I don't consider it a big deal, but YMMV.

Old 03-29-2021 | 11:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

One more thing to check. When I had the 2020 RDX as a loaner, I seem to recall there was a setting buried deep about either defaulting back to Comfort each time the car is started, or retain the last used setting. I'm not 100% sure of this though.
Sebu (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021 | 12:36 PM
10th Gear

Update for everyone on our MDX. I picked it up yesterday, and they confirmed what ELIN said about the dynamic modes. I just have to push (not hold), the silver Acura button for the SUV to switch back to my individual settings. It's worked just fine since doing that. The dashboard won't save the compass, but the manual doesn't really say that it will remember that, so I'm letting it go. If the trip settings weren't so busy I wouldn't want to switch it to begin with, but that's small potatoes and nit-picky at this point.

They were able to replace the HUD unit, so we're fine there as well. I'm excited to have it back so I can explore the rest of the new features. Fingers crossed these are the last issues we have with it for a while!
ELIN (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021 | 12:48 PM
Drifting

Good luck and enjoy your MDX, Sebu!
Old 04-14-2021 | 08:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by andre12dbsi
I second this behavior. I have a 2019 RDX and I always drive in ‘Sport’ mode. It stays there without having to push any buttons.
Esym (04-16-2021)
Old 05-04-2021 | 01:48 PM
9th Gear

Not sure if this has been solved yet but I was having the same issue. What I did was put the car in invididual mode and then hit the set button on the door and then hold down 1 so it would save all my settings to the #1 setting. Now when I crank up the car with the #1 key fob, the car starts off in individual mode because I set it to the #1 setting on the door. I hope this makes sense. Kind of hard to explain what I'm trying to say without pics.
Old 05-04-2021 | 03:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LA2TX
Not sure if this has been solved yet but I was having the same issue. What I did was put the car in invididual mode and then hit the set button on the door and then hold down 1 so it would save all my settings to the #1 setting. Now when I crank up the car with the #1 key fob, the car starts off in individual mode because I set it to the #1 setting on the door. I hope this makes sense. Kind of hard to explain what I'm trying to say without pics.
I'll have to try that on my TLX. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2021 | 03:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by LA2TX
When you say 'crank up the car with the fob', do you mean using remote start? or actually starting the car with the on/off button with fob #1?
Old 05-04-2021 | 08:55 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
When you say 'crank up the car with the fob', do you mean using remote start? or actually starting the car with the on/off button with fob #1?
I mean actually starting the car with the on/off button using the key fob #1.
Old 05-08-2021 | 09:12 PM
6th Gear

My 20 RDX has Comfort, Sport and Sport+. We leave it in Sport all the time and it sticks on restart.

The 22 MDX seems to have Comfort, Normal and Sport.

So, is Normal on the MDX the same as Sport on the RDX? And is Sport on the MDX the same as Sport+ on the RDX?
Old 06-23-2021 | 11:43 AM
4th Gear

Hi everyone,
I'm just following up to see if anyone was able to solve this minor inconvenience. I just got an MDX 2022 ASpec and was able to program my individual settings. However, whenever I turn off the vehicle and turn it back on, it defaults to normal.
I have set my settings on the #1 button on the door, but even that didn't do the trick. It always starts back on normal.
I understand that this may be how the car operates, but I figured I double-check in case there has been a solution or work-around after several months.
Thanks!
Old 06-23-2021 | 11:52 AM
10th Gear

Hi, Jab316, yes, there's a way that's worked fine for me. You have to push (not press and hold) the silver Acura button in the center console to switch to your saved individual mode. For me, that turns the dash display red so it's easy to see if I've remembered to do it. It's not considered a problem to Acura; it's how they designed it, even if it's really annoying. Hope that helps!
Old 06-23-2021 | 12:00 PM
4th Gear

Thanks Sebu! Yeah, I discovered that the other day; but I was hoping there would be a way to automate the process by setting 'Individual Mode' as the default mode.
It'd be cool if they patched it in through a software update.
Old 06-23-2021 | 12:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jab316
Thanks Sebu! Yeah, I discovered that the other day; but I was hoping there would be a way to automate the process by setting 'Individual Mode' as the default mode.
It'd be cool if they patched it in through a software update.
It would be cool but it wouldn't get you the best fuel econ when testers (i.e. EPA) drive it in default mode. I don't see this changing any time soon.
Old 07-09-2021 | 12:56 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by amshah97
My 20 RDX has Comfort, Sport and Sport+. We leave it in Sport all the time and it sticks on restart.

The 22 MDX seems to have Comfort, Normal and Sport.

So, is Normal on the MDX the same as Sport on the RDX? And is Sport on the MDX the same as Sport+ on the RDX?
I think the tuning is different, but as far as remembering the mode on restart, you're correct. On the RDX, Comfort and Sport modes are 'remembered' on restart, while Sport+ changes to Sport on restart. For the MDX, Comfort and Normal are 'remembered', while Sport changes to Normal. For both the RDX and MDX, Snow mode changes to Comfort on restart. As an owner of a 2020 RDX Advance and a 2022 MDX Advance, I can attest that this is how it behaves.

When I got the MDX, I was expecting the same modes as the RDX too. I'm thinking because the TLX-Type S has Sport+, then they may be saving that mode for the Type-S of the MDX as well.
Old 08-22-2021 | 08:42 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Me Too!!.I guess there are a lot of Little secrets floating around about this and other cars. I have been congratulated by others on Acurazine on the newly arrived memebr of the family (Just kidding.... cars are not Family), a Fathom Blue Pearl / Graystone MDx Advance , picked up on Friday 8/20/21. I'm learning about some of the nuances / features almost everyday. My dealer, Curry Acura in Scarsdale NY conducts "classes" on the use every Friday morning at 10 AM !! Well, "It Ain't Your Father's Buick", that's for sure !!
One feature I discovered about the 2019 MDX , I traded in as a early Lease termination which actually gave me "equity" , was that if you hit the start button 2X W/O Stepping on the brake to start the car, and hold down the accelerator pedal to the Floor, for 30 seconds (I Mississippi , etc.) , then release it, and the start "er up, you Erase the Learned Driving Mode (not to be confused with the IDS), of the car. It's a refresh for the CPU. Then according to the poster, drive it like a banshee, hard , the CPU re-learns your driving habit and is more Throttle responsive. I tried it....It works !! Of course, as I drove around in Suburbia, in the Grandpa (which I am), modes, it dumbs down again. But You can do this at any time. Wonder if that's still applicable with the 2022?
I only have the car 2 days, sooooo I'm far from applying and adjusting the many features of it. And today Henri is hitting our area with lots of rain. I will tell you... even at my age, after purchasing lots of vehicles, including the 2019 MDX, this one is Evoking Lots of Excitement and Pleasure !!. The only "recent" acquisition that it can be compared to for me was the acquisition of the Infiniti 2007 G35 Sports Sedan. To date, excluding this new MDX (too soon to tell yet), was the Best car I ever owned. It was a True 4 door sports sedan that could pin you to the back of the seat with immediate acceleration. Then after about 1.5 years of ownership, I brought it in for service to the Dealer (Pepe Infiniti), and w/o my knowledge, they applied a Software Update which was issued concerning the CPU .... It Dumbed it down. I was furious that they did that w/o asking me bc it came out in a TSB. And You can't go Backwards on the Update... The TSB and software update was issued bc Consumers complained about the Head Jerking immediate acceleration (no Turbos), of the car. I mean it was fine, but NOT what it was. I loved that about the car. It had a 5sp AT , the 2010 G37 which replaced the G35. had Infiniti's new 7sp AT which terribly Laggy . I called my saleslady as soon as I got home for I did not detect that on the test drive. She said it "normal" for the 7AT. After meeting NE Infiniti Customer service reps, posting many times on blog sites, after 2 years Infiniti issued an Update to the Tranny CPU (it's called something else, but I can't remember now), and that made it 50% better . Pepe Infiniti I think was being over zealous in their congrats to ME , as they said it was because of my efforts (i'm sure there were many others ) that Infinit paid attention and acted on it ... This is a further affirmation to review carefully with your dealer on service visits as to issues like this Upgrade. The acrs of today are being driven by Computers ... But according to a Thread here at Acurazine, it appears that Upfrages are sent out directly to your cars without notice being loaded in even while you drive. My son has a 2017 Jeep GC , it happened to him while he was driving, an upgrade to the InfoT system that actually startled him .
Old 10-12-2021 | 06:56 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Originally Posted by Sebu
Is anyone else having issues getting the 2022 MDX to save their dynamic mode? We've had 2 RDXs and this is our second MDX and we've never had it default back to Normal every single time before. I've read the manual and know that some dynamic modes will default back to others (page 453), but shouldn't we be able to save our settings using the keyless access memory? We've gone in and customized it using the Individual Mode and tried to save it multiple times and every time the dashboard and settings go back to Normal. I don't even care if my husband and I have to share one, but the MDX isn't even remembering what we last used.

It's really frustrating to buy a $60K+ SUV and not have basic functions that we had before. This is on top of the HUD adjustment button not working (our dealership has ordered a new one), and one of the buttons on the steering wheel not working 100% of the time. The dealership has the MDX, waiting on the HUD replacement, and they said they'll go over the dynamic mode stuff when I pick it up, but they mentioned showing me the manual, which I've already told them I did, so I fear I'm going to get the runaround when I go back next week. They said they haven't had any other customers have this issue, which is really surprising to me. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Schen, I was perplxed by the return to Normal after adjusting the Driving Dynamic Mode too.... However, it is in the Manual. I have not tried the Individual Mode selection, but i suspct that would be the same , a reversion back to Normal at next start up. I'm sorry to learn of your problems (HUD and others things digital). I have mine since August 20, now with 1400 miles, without any issues. I had a 2019 MDX Advance that I traded in on a early Lease termination deal which included a $1K Loyalty from Acura. The 2019 lease had "equity: of $3K because of the Used Car Values and that I was under the mileage on the car (no more commutting due to COVID, and then retired due to spinal Issues Disabilities), so after driving the 2022 MDX and shopping 3 dealers, I went for it. I usually do not use the term LOVE for things, only for people, but I REALLY LIKE this SUV. I'm still excited with it, like a 14 year old at XMAS who got his favorite TOY!!! Good Luck and hope you are able to resolve your issues...
Old 10-12-2021 | 06:40 PM
2022 MDX Advanced

This will do what you are looking for. Switches to individual mode about 5 seconds after starting automatically. You can set whatever preferences you want in individual mode.

https://www.idlestopper.com/product/...rue&cst=custom
Old 10-19-2021 | 07:52 AM
Resurrected Drummer

Frankly, I am hesitant to install a Gizmo on my car. So, I'll simply set the Individual mode by hitting the button each time i start "er up for a trip. Not a big deal to me. As I beleive others have stated, in Individual Mode settings, you can select to disenage Auto Engine start/Stop and apply your other Individual settings at the same time. I do see the logic to returning to Normal by Acura... If someone should drive your car (a Valet for instance), and was not used to the manner of Sport mode settings, could be a problem for that Unsuspecting person !!
Old 10-19-2021 | 01:08 PM
2022 MDX Advanced

Originally Posted by Almatti
Frankly, I am hesitant to install a Gizmo on my car. So, I'll simply set the Individual mode by hitting the button each time i start "er up for a trip. Not a big deal to me. As I beleive others have stated, in Individual Mode settings, you can select to disenage Auto Engine start/Stop and apply your other Individual settings at the same time. I do see the logic to returning to Normal by Acura... If someone should drive your car (a Valet for instance), and was not used to the manner of Sport mode settings, could be a problem for that Unsuspecting person !!
Gizmos are your friend
Old 10-25-2021 | 05:52 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Almatti
I installed this on my wife’s 2021 TLX and it’s been working great for over a month now. Within 5 seconds of starting the car it automatically switches to individual mode.
Old 01-18-2022 | 06:14 PM
3rd Gear

The new 2022 RDX doesn't even have an acura button on the drive mode selector. Annoying