Trouble with mute and the trackpad

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 09:32 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trouble with mute and the trackpad

Just picked up my 2022 MDX AWD Tech yesterday and I'm having some trouble with the touchpad. I'm doing something wrong because I keep muting either the radio or SiriusXM and the only way I can unmute is to switch from the radio to SiriusXM or vice versa. Is anyone else having this problem? Can you help me figure out what it is I'm doing that is muting the sound? Thanks very much.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ckpsc
Just picked up my 2022 MDX AWD Tech yesterday and I'm having some trouble with the touchpad. I'm doing something wrong because I keep muting either the radio or SiriusXM and the only way I can unmute is to switch from the radio to SiriusXM or vice versa. Is anyone else having this problem? Can you help me figure out what it is I'm doing that is muting the sound? Thanks very much.
I determined there is a conflict when using Apple CarPlay with Waze and SiriusXM. It was the same in my 2019 RDX. When starting Waze the sound of SiriusXM will often mute. SiriusXM will reload if you switch to FM radio and back. Once it reloads it seems to work normally with Waze running until the next time the nav system boots upon start up and you start Waze with Apple CarPlay.
The following users liked this post:
ckpsc (07-15-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 11:51 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another issue with Car Play and sound

Now I've discovered another issue with Car Play and sound. If I try to pull up apps like Facebook, Twitter or Instagram in the car, the sound goes off because there seems to be some conflict with Car Play. I talked to the dealer and he basically said it is what it is but I'm not happy with that response. Does anyone know of another solution that allows the music to play even when one of these apps is open?
Old 07-23-2021, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ckpsc
Now I've discovered another issue with Car Play and sound. If I try to pull up apps like Facebook, Twitter or Instagram in the car, the sound goes off because there seems to be some conflict with Car Play. I talked to the dealer and he basically said it is what it is but I'm not happy with that response. Does anyone know of another solution that allows the music to play even when one of these apps is open?
it isn’t just Apple Car Play, if your iPhone is linked to the vehicle even without Car Play try taking a picture. The audio being played will mute. This also happens with a few other apps. It is a software issue.
Having lived through MANY issues with my 2019 RDX the remaining issues with the new MDX are an inconvenience but an improvement. Unfortunately Acura doesn’t seem to be able to fix problems in an expeditious manner. I expect we will be living with them for quite some time.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cazman
it isn’t just Apple Car Play, if your iPhone is linked to the vehicle even without Car Play try taking a picture. The audio being played will mute. This also happens with a few other apps. It is a software issue.
Having lived through MANY issues with my 2019 RDX the remaining issues with the new MDX are an inconvenience but an improvement. Unfortunately Acura doesn’t seem to be able to fix problems in an expeditious manner. I expect we will be living with them for quite some time.
Your frustration is misplaced. This is not an Acura issue.

It’s how Apple and some app developers have implemented use of sound and microphones. For example, audio out is shut down when you open Apple’s native camera app with any form of video. You can try this even disconnected from CarPlay… play music from any app and then open up camera with any of the video modes. The camera app will stop the audio playback. My assumption was this was to prevent a feedback to play through.

However if you move over to some other apps, say Instagram, they’ve enabled audio output during recording. That way you can be playing music and still record an IG story. It all depends on how the app programmer decided to implement its recording.

I don’t know this with 100% certainty but I think FB cuts out the audio because it does have some mic enablement. The common thread of apps which choose to cut audio output is that they use the microphone. The irony here is that both FB and IG have the same parent company but chose to implement their audio behavior differently in the two apps.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by danny1010
Your frustration is misplaced. This is not an Acura issue.

It’s how Apple and some app developers have implemented use of sound and microphones. For example, audio out is shut down when you open Apple’s native camera app with any form of video. You can try this even disconnected from CarPlay… play music from any app and then open up camera with any of the video modes. The camera app will stop the audio playback. My assumption was this was to prevent a feedback to play through.

However if you move over to some other apps, say Instagram, they’ve enabled audio output during recording. That way you can be playing music and still record an IG story. It all depends on how the app programmer decided to implement its recording.

I don’t know this with 100% certainty but I think FB cuts out the audio because it does have some mic enablement. The common thread of apps which choose to cut audio output is that they use the microphone. The irony here is that both FB and IG have the same parent company but chose to implement their audio behavior differently in the two apps.
I fail to see how this is purely an iPhone issue. If I am playing SiriusXM and try to take a photo why would the radio mute even when not using Apple Car Play? The iPhone mic is not active for a still photo. Another scenario is that with Apple Car Play engaged, when starting up the Waze app most of the time (not always) the SiriusXM app stops. If you reload it by going to the FM radio and back to SiriusXM then Apple Car Play, Waze and SiriusXM work simultaneously as expected. These issues are due to the Acura infotainment interface software.
ckpsc (07-24-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cazman
I fail to see how this is purely an iPhone issue. If I am playing SiriusXM and try to take a photo why would the radio mute even when not using Apple Car Play? The iPhone mic is not active for a still photo. Another scenario is that with Apple Car Play engaged, when starting up the Waze app most of the time (not always) the SiriusXM app stops. If you reload it by going to the FM radio and back to SiriusXM then Apple Car Play, Waze and SiriusXM work simultaneously as expected. These issues are due to the Acura infotainment interface software.
I’m now having the system mute EVERY DAMN TIME I start the car as soon as it auto connects to my iPhone via Bluetooth. This is happening even though CarPlay is not engaged. I have to change the music source from SiriusXM to another source like FM and then back to SiriusXM. Upon startup it begins to play SiriusXM for a short time until the iPhone connects and then it is muted. Sometimes stopping and restarting audio with the physical switch on the console will also work but not always. I wish Honda would get off their butt and fix this!!
ckpsc (10-11-2021)