Type S...NO SPARE! Self Sealing Tires...!!! WTF??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2022 | 03:17 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Exclamation Type S...NO SPARE! Self Sealing Tires...!!! WTF??

I don't know IF this has been brought up anywhere...BUT, I just discovered that the Type S has..."SELF SEALING TIRES".....AND, with that said....
NO SPARE TIRE!!! Well, IF I were a maybe buyer for a Type S, that would be a deal breaker for me. Self sealing tires???....doesn't help with a
sidewall issue...blowout, etc. You're still screwed. And the battery is in the back left side floor area. I can live with that....but, not the spare tire issue.

ALL MDX, RDX's with AWD always had/have spare tires...as the '22 MDX's still have...EXCEPT now the Type S.

Added note: My dealer has a Type S Advance due in soon. It's a "show and tell" model they have to..or supposed to keep for 60 days to allow
possible buyers to review, drive, etc. This happened with TLX Type S's....but, many dealers sold theirs real quick. My dealer did not. They chose
to follow Acura's directive to keep on lot to show off. They will do the same with this new model.
Old 02-03-2022 | 05:19 PM
9th Gear

https://www.acurainfocenter.com/page...the-mdx-type-s

Old 02-03-2022 | 05:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I don't know IF this has been brought up anywhere...BUT, I just discovered that the Type S has..."SELF SEALING TIRES".....AND, with that said....
NO SPARE TIRE!!! Well, IF I were a maybe buyer for a Type S, that would be a deal breaker for me. Self sealing tires???....doesn't help with a
sidewall issue...blowout, etc. You're still screwed. And the battery is in the back left side floor area. I can live with that....but, not the spare tire issue.

ALL MDX, RDX's with AWD always had/have spare tires...as the '22 MDX's still have...EXCEPT now the Type S.

Added note: My dealer has a Type S Advance due in soon. It's a "show and tell" model they have to..or supposed to keep for 60 days to allow
possible buyers to review, drive, etc. This happened with TLX Type S's....but, many dealers sold theirs real quick. My dealer did not. They chose
to follow Acura's directive to keep on lot to show off. They will do the same with this new model.
I agree with you that not including a spare tire on a $60K plus car is shameful, but a deal killer seems as extreme. For a few hundred bucks you can get one.

Old 02-03-2022 | 06:02 PM
Backs the Pack

I may end up making my own full size spare tire but from pictures I've seen it hangs pretty low underneath. I may keep it in the garage just in case.
Old 02-03-2022 | 06:54 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by Hodog16
I may end up making my own full size spare tire but from pictures I've seen it hangs pretty low underneath. I may keep it in the garage just in case.
The spare tire must be with the car or SUV at all times, because in most cases, a flat tire or a blow-out happens away from home.
Old 02-03-2022 | 06:57 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
The spare tire must be with the car or SUV at all times, because in most cases, a flat tire or a blow-out happens away from home.
Murphy is always out there................
Old 02-03-2022 | 08:30 PM
Backs the Pack

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Yes, but I was thinking for those pesky "nail in tires" having a spare would allow me to drop the tire off for repair and not have to leave the vehicle there. But uh with that said can these run flats be repaired for nails or even need it?

I guess we'll see how they are. This was the one feature I was not excited about with the Type S.

Old 02-03-2022 | 09:21 PM
Intermediate

Yes, but I was thinking for those pesky "nail in tires" having a spare would allow me to drop the tire off for repair and not have to leave the vehicle there. But uh with that said can these run flats be repaired for nails or even need it?

I guess we'll see how they are. This was the one feature I was not excited about with the Type S.
pretty sure with the self sealing you just remove the nail and it will heal itself. no dropping off.

"The MDX Type S is the first Acura with standard 275/40R21 ContiSeal® high-performance tires. ContiSeal tires are specially engineered to be self-sealing for tread punctures up to 5mm (1/4 inch) in diameter. There’s no need to stop, repair or replace the tire – it can be used normally for up to 10 years. The standard Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)51 helps you confirm that all is well."
Old 02-04-2022 | 12:22 AM
6G TLX-S

The MDX Type-S is not alone. The TLX also doesn't come with spare tire, and the factory spare tire kit is already backordered for 5 months and counting.

Old 02-04-2022 | 10:47 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
2022 MDX FWD has no spare tire. Just AWD.
Old 02-04-2022 | 01:16 PM
Intermediate

I'm sure they had to ditch the spare tire to reduce the weight of the vehicle as the new air suspension and turbo are added weight. IMO
Old 02-04-2022 | 02:42 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by Lalin
I agree with you that not including a spare tire on a $60K plus car is shameful, but a deal killer seems as extreme. For a few hundred bucks you can get one.
I understand how it's done. Just had to buy the spare and all the parts to install a spare in my new '22 RDX A-Spec/Adv...that's not an issue. I have no idea if it's possible
to do the same with the new MDX?? But, still....at over $70K....to put a "self sealing tire" on it is BS. How about your wife out at night and the sidewall blows out....it's happened...
to us....what is she to do then...esp. if in a bad area? I know...having a spare may not "save the day"...but, I'd rather have the spare than not.
Deal breaker...yes, IF it's not doable to buy the spare, all the parts and it all fits properly. ??? The RDX does....BUT, the MDX has the battery in the back now....and we don't know
if the underside is "shaped" the same so a spare can be held up in place like the std. MDX?? Just things to think about. Not my first rodeo with these kind of issues.
Old 02-04-2022 | 02:47 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
The '22 MDX, NON Type S's, DO have a spare from the factory....and the previous yrs did too...as long as it had AWD. I know the FWD never did come with a spare.
I've owned them all. Even the '22 MDX Adv!! Yes, I already traded it for the RDX A-Spec/Adv for my wife. She likes the easier to handle size. I loved the MDX. Anyway....the 2 Type S versions are the only '22 MDX's that DO NOT have a spare...speaking of AWD models as just discussed.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 02-04-2022 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2022 | 02:52 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
I said.."with AWD!" I've owned them all. Know quite well the FWD models did not come with spares.
Old 02-05-2022 | 08:54 AM
mrgold35

Hopefully, you can add the spare tire kit hardware from the +22 3.5L MDX to the Type-S MDX. Might have to see if the wider full size spare tire will fit snug enough under the Type-S or if you will have to go with a donut. Adding the spare tire kit and full size spare is what I had to do with my 19 MDX hybrid that only came with the 12v fix-a-flat air compressor thingy. The Acura service manager didn't know the hybrids could take a full size spare or OEM hitch/harness also would fit on the hybrid. They thought the hybrid battery pack would be in the way if you try to add the hitch or spare tire.

Might have to check under the Type-S MDX for room because the extra features like air suspension components or new exhaust system need to be stored somewhere under the vehicle and be able to add an OEM hitch+harness+hands free kick open feature.

Last edited by mrgold35; 02-05-2022 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2022 | 09:41 AM
Intermediate

I totally agree with Colorado Guy - run flats & no spare = no sale. What hasn't been mentioned yet is that run flat tires have a tendency to provide a harsher ride and many people dislike them. Also - very few tire distributors have them in stock "just in case" someone needs one. That leads to a problem if you blow one out in the middle of nowhere. You're dead in the water even if you have AAA or some other road service because it may take 3 days or so for them to aquire a replacment tire for you to be able to continue your trip.

So, if you really don't want the runflats but like the vehicle that leaves you with the proposition to trade them in for regular tires AND purchase a spare tire kit at your own expence -----------!
Old 02-05-2022 | 10:07 PM
9th Gear

Run Flats vs Self Sealing

FYI - here is a brief article describing Self Sealing vs Run Flat (self-supporting) tires. I also saw another article in more detail about Run Flats being much heavier and less durable than Self Sealing. May not be ideal - but Self Sealing seem much better than Run Flats.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...s&gclsrc=aw.ds

The following users liked this post:
Wylson (07-31-2022)
Old 02-06-2022 | 11:29 AM
Intermediate

I stand corrected in using the term run flats as opposed to the self sealing tires supplied on the Type S. They aren't the same. The self sealing will help with most small puntures in the tread area. The self sealing portion doesn't extend to the sidewalls, so damages there will result in a flat just like normal tires. If you have one of those type of damages you will still be unable to continue your trip because you have no spare and again, just like run flats, they aren't as readily available in tire warehouses so you may have an extended wait for a replacement. I have experienced sidewall damage on the road and have had a spare to keep me going. This is something that I would prefer to have "just in case". So for me, self sealing tires and no spare = no sale without obtaining a spare tire kit assembly.
Old 02-06-2022 | 12:56 PM
Backs the Pack

Just checked--Tire Rack has the Type S OEM ContiSeal's in stock for about $400 apiece. Other traditional tires in that size range from $300-360 per tire.
The following users liked this post:
Wylson (07-31-2022)
Old 02-07-2022 | 12:00 PM
Intermediate

This is an image from a dealership in Kuwait. Notice the spare, so it does appear you can get a spare kit added. I do hate how low it hangs.
Old 02-09-2022 | 11:36 AM
mrgold35

Is that a donut spare or a full size?
Old 02-09-2022 | 12:14 PM
Backs the Pack

Assume it’s full size. I ran a full size spare in my 2008 and it hung beyond the bumper like that, but not as much. I wrapped it with a black tire cover to make it look a little cleaner.
Old 02-09-2022 | 01:25 PM
mrgold35

Maybe the Type-S have a shorter rear bumper panel that shows the spare tire more compared to the 3.5L MDX. A Type-S owner might have to add the OEM hitch to see if that hides the spare a little more. Adding the OEM hitch helped hide my full size spare a little bit better on my 11 MDX Adv and 19 MDX hybrid.
Old 02-12-2022 | 11:38 AM
4th Gear

The 2020 MDX Tech Hybrid AWD doesn't have a spare, just a can of sealant.
Old 02-12-2022 | 11:40 AM
4th Gear

and a compressor sorry, the 2019 was the same also.