Dealer says they installed ceramic coat. I don’t believe them.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 09:23 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer says they installed ceramic coat. I don’t believe them.

So I purchased a new 2022 MDX black a spec last month. The dealer had add-ons that I did not want that one of them was a ceramic coating. When I asked him to take all of the dealer options off because I did not want to pay for them, he said the ceramic coating was already done. I said ok, I can deal with that. At the time, I had never even heard of a ceramic coating. Fast forward to now I have someone educated myself on ceramic coatings and a few of the positives are that water beads off really easily and the car is very easy to wash because of the protective coating. These two things are not happening which leads me to believe that the dealer did not install the ceramic coating on the paint. I took the vehicle to a detailer who told me he would be able to tell if there was a ceramic coat on the paint and his observation was inconclusive, but he did say he does not feel like the paint was prepped properly for a ceramic coating which leads him to believe that there is not a ceramic coating on the paint. Either way he told me I’m wasting my time by taking it back to the dealer because they’ll either lie and say that it is coated or they will coat it. He says you don’t want the dealer doing anything extra to your paint because they are terrible at it. So I called the salesman and told him my concern and he told me to bring it up there and he will have it checked out and if it’s not on there they will put it on there. Now I’m concerned that when I get up there they’ll either say that they did do the ceramic coat and there’s no way to prove it to me and there’s no way for me to prove that they did not. So I am somewhat in a pickle here so I am asking for help. Sorry for the long post.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:39 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,193 Posts
You might have to call the dealership to ask what type of ceramic coating they are using and how many layers. I see this service being offered from dealerships for interior/exterior protective coatings (replacement for the rust proof undercoating scam). Prepping the surface with color correction is 90% of ceramic and PPF coating. Acura doesn't pay their wash bay crew enough to do a good job to even properly wash our vehicles. There are so many ceramic coating products out there and warranties vary from 1 year for a single coat to a lifetime with multiple coats.

You would be better off taking your MDX to a professional that does ceramic coating all day/every day. They can tell you if it can be rejuvenated or stripped/replaced with a better product. I would recommend comparing prices of self healing Paint Protective Film (PPF) with ceramic hydrophobic properties like Suntek Ultra, 3M, or XPel Ultimate Plus. You get the same protection as ceramic coating with the added benefits of scratches self healing in the sun, UV protection for paint/LEDs, little-to-no damage from road rash/small rock strikes, easier to clean than ceramic coating, and +10 yrs warranty. A professional installer can tuck the film inside the seams for an 100% invisible look.

Ceramic coating alone can be damaged way easier compared to clear coat. You have to really be into hand washing/drying with microfiber, use ceramic booster soaps, two bucket wash method, and use a foam cannon for your garage kept MDX to keep the ceramic coating pristine.

Last edited by mrgold35; 05-21-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:49 AM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
I always refuse to pay for things that I don't expect, especially something like window etching. I would have refused to pay for the ceramic coating. If the dealer refused to budge, I would have asked for a different car of the same trim that didn't have the ceramic coating (even if it's only my 2nd or 3rd favorite color). I'm sorry but it sounds like you're stuck. You have to stick to your guns, man!
The following users liked this post:
Chris Bowden (05-26-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 11:13 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Ceramic coating alone can be damaged way easier compared to clear coat. You have to really be into hand washing/drying with microfiber, use ceramic booster soaps, two bucket wash method, and use a foam cannon for your garage kept MDX to keep the ceramic coating pristine.
You’re right. That’s how I began to learn about ceramic coats because I was watching videos and reading about how to properly maintain them. It’s going to be a part time job to properly maintain this paint.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:15 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by ELIN
I always refuse to pay for things that I don't expect, especially something like window etching. I would have refused to pay for the ceramic coating. If the dealer refused to budge, I would have asked for a different car of the same trim that didn't have the ceramic coating (even if it's only my 2nd or 3rd favorite color). I'm sorry but it sounds like you're stuck. You have to stick to your guns, man!
Yea, I’ve definitely learned my lesson this time. I’m still going to take it back up to the dealer next week just to see what lies they tell me. I’ll let you all know what happens.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts
Wait, so you refused to pay for ceramic coating and now you're upset it might not have been applied?
Old 05-23-2021, 09:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
Wait, so you refused to pay for ceramic coating and now you're upset it might not have been applied?
If I am reading correctly, I think although the OP didn't want to pay for or even want the coating, although it was already applied. The assumption is was also paid for.
Old 05-24-2021, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Dealers who do these sort of add on coatings are in no way "experts" they just have the porters spray the car with the solution. They do not take proper steps like claybaring the car first.

If they ceramic coated your car it should come with a warranty against bird poop tree sap, etc. OR, to be honest, just forget about it and if you want it done take it to a detail place that will apply it correctly.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
was it an Arlington Texas based dealership?
Old 06-01-2021, 02:00 PM
9th Gear

So here’s an update. I took the MDX back up to the dealership and they ceramic coated the vehicle. To this day, we still don’t have a clear answer on whether or not the vehicle was already coated but they did it anyway. It did rain on my way driving the vehicle home which is unfortunate because I’ve heard that the coating needs to stay dry for 24 hours but when the rain hit the car this time, it sheeted off immediately so I know for sure that there is some type of coating/protection that was done. The paint does seem to have more gloss and the paint also feels harder but very smooth which is a good sign. So I guess at the end of the day, the dealership corrected the issue and did what they said they would.
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (06-07-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 02:05 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
was it an Arlington Texas based dealership?
I'm not sure mine was ever done either. I took it back and they said it would take 3 days for drying, etc., but then received a call the next day that it was ready to be picked up, so.... And yes, for me it was that dealership. What's the scoop?
Old 06-08-2021, 06:51 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by lakerjock
I'm not sure mine was ever done either. I took it back and they said it would take 3 days for drying, etc., but then received a call the next day that it was ready to be picked up, so.... And yes, for me it was that dealership. What's the scoop?
We had Siminoz ceramic coat installed on our 2017 MDX by dealer at purchase for the first 2 years or so rain beaded off and suppose to protect againts oxidation from bird poop and sun,, it definetly seemed to work for a bit. It seems like it no longer works and doesn't do anything extra for the paint quality that a good wax couldn't, interior application never worked as we had stains on our parchment leather that took special products to get out. Between that and the 5000lb hitch that we had to disconnect due to transmission knocks, definelty two adds we regret.

Another note on the ceramic coat the application environment has to be perfect and dust free, not sure Acura dealers can even apply it correctly under their conditions. l agree with others, just go to a professional detailer.