clicking/tapping noise from steering column area

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 05:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
clicking/tapping noise from steering column area

This is an FYI if anyone is experiencing this. Last week as I was backing out of a parking spot, I noticed a tapping/clicking, noise when I turned the wheel. it happens mainly when the wheel is moved to the left, rarely, if ever actually, I turn it to the right. The longer I drive, the louder, more apparent the noise is. Took it to the dealer this afternoon and they said the noise is coming from the lower ball joint, they ordered a new left front lower control arm said it's safe to drive and I'll get a loaner when they do the repairs when the part comes in. This is NOT the same plastic rattling noise some people have experienced coming from the steering column,(I have heard this once during a long trip) I could hear that this noise was coming from under the hood, my daughter confirmed the noise was louder outside the vehicle than it was inside (she could hear it sitting on the passenger side). Note, this noise was NOT apparent if the a/c is blowing hard or the radio is up, so it's not a REALLY loud noise if you aren't listening for it. '22 MDX W/Tech, noise occurred around 6800 miles, give or take.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:29 AM
Intermediate

UPDATE on clicking/tapping steering noise

So, they replaced the left lower control arm, noise still there, replace BOTH upper control arms, noise still there, now they are replacing the entire rack and pinion system (parts backordered, who knows when). so yeah...I'll update if it ever gets figured out. Anyone experiencing this yet?

QUOTE=tamber877;16733511]This is an FYI if anyone is experiencing this. Last week as I was backing out of a parking spot, I noticed a tapping/clicking, noise when I turned the wheel. it happens mainly when the wheel is moved to the left, rarely, if ever actually, I turn it to the right. The longer I drive, the louder, more apparent the noise is. Took it to the dealer this afternoon and they said the noise is coming from the lower ball joint, they ordered a new left front lower control arm said it's safe to drive and I'll get a loaner when they do the repairs when the part comes in. This is NOT the same plastic rattling noise some people have experienced coming from the steering column,(I have heard this once during a long trip) I could hear that this noise was coming from under the hood, my daughter confirmed the noise was louder outside the vehicle than it was inside (she could hear it sitting on the passenger side). Note, this noise was NOT apparent if the a/c is blowing hard or the radio is up, so it's not a REALLY loud noise if you aren't listening for it. '22 MDX W/Tech, noise occurred around 6800 miles, give or take.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-12-2021, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like rattle from steering column became Acura feature. I have this on my 2016 RDX and dealer never been able to fix it. I read that this issue have a lot of people on different Honda/Acura SUVs.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:38 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a similar sound but mine sounds like a pop when backing out of driveway with slight wheel turn to the left. I can also hear it as Im going into a 20-30mph right turn when braking. Not sure if its suspension or steering, second time taking it to dealer with no luck.

Any new updates on your issue?
Old 11-30-2021, 11:21 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Breezy904
I have a similar sound but mine sounds like a pop when backing out of driveway with slight wheel turn to the left. I can also hear it as Im going into a 20-30mph right turn when braking. Not sure if its suspension or steering, second time taking it to dealer with no luck.

Any new updates on your issue?
I'm still waiting for parts.. ETA on parts, as of a few weeks ago, was no earlier than dec 6...I've heard on other forums people are saying it's the tie rods, they are loose, or something...some people a tightening fixes it, I know one guy had his tie rod(s) replaced and that fixed it. 🤷🏻‍♀️
The following users liked this post:
Breezy904 (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 10:39 PM
3rd Gear

Thank you, this helps. I have an appointment with dealer tomorrow and now my MDX is consistently making this noise with the symptoms i mention. Good luck
Old 12-03-2021, 02:12 PM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by tamber877
This is an FYI if anyone is experiencing this. Last week as I was backing out of a parking spot, I noticed a tapping/clicking, noise when I turned the wheel. it happens mainly when the wheel is moved to the left, rarely, if ever actually, I turn it to the right. The longer I drive, the louder, more apparent the noise is. Took it to the dealer this afternoon and they said the noise is coming from the lower ball joint, they ordered a new left front lower control arm said it's safe to drive and I'll get a loaner when they do the repairs when the part comes in. This is NOT the same plastic rattling noise some people have experienced coming from the steering column,(I have heard this once during a long trip) I could hear that this noise was coming from under the hood, my daughter confirmed the noise was louder outside the vehicle than it was inside (she could hear it sitting on the passenger side). Note, this noise was NOT apparent if the a/c is blowing hard or the radio is up, so it's not a REALLY loud noise if you aren't listening for it. '22 MDX W/Tech, noise occurred around 6800 miles, give or take.
Can you record the noise and post?
Old 12-09-2021, 10:35 AM
3rd Gear

Finally got the 2022 MDX back from dealer after they tried replacing lower control arm which did not fix the issue. As mentioned in a thread , I asked them to check tie-rods, they ended up re-torquing tie rods and the noise went away. Clearly this is some defect and there is no telling when it could happen again as they were clueless. Ive had an 07 Acura TL and have never had to touch the suspension until 10 years later!
The following users liked this post:
tamber877 (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 11:09 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by E92Vancouver
Can you record the noise and post?
so, I went to try to attempt this, and it seems the noise is gone 🤷🏻‍♀️ I have no idea...still no word on my replacement part, due for an oil change soon, so if they don't call with the parts before then, I'm going to have them check the tie rods. I've since put another 6K miles on the car since the problem initially started. almost makes me wonder if the weather has something to do with it, now that it's colder, things tightened up...long shot, I know, but no other explanation really.
Old 06-16-2024, 10:15 PM
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Breezy904
Finally got the 2022 MDX back from dealer after they tried replacing lower control arm which did not fix the issue. As mentioned in a thread , I asked them to check tie-rods, they ended up re-torquing tie rods and the noise went away. Clearly this is some defect and there is no telling when it could happen again as they were clueless. Ive had an 07 Acura TL and have never had to touch the suspension until 10 years later!
Hi there, so what was the outcome? Did the noise ever come back? I find it difficult to think tightening tie rods would fix the problem. They should never get lose. Anyway let me know if this was the fix.
Thanks kindly.