2022 MDX First Look

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 07:58 AM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
And one cool thing is that acoustic glass is standard across all trim levels.
This is how you know you're buying the flagship!
Old 12-09-2020, 10:01 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
I agree, even the PMC 1st Gen TLX was basically the Elite A-Spec they sold in Canada but only in red color LoL.

Why would anyone not want an Advance and the Type - S engine together?

I am guessing they have realized they are going German way with so many visual(A-Spec) and performance(Type-S) options straying away from their all inclusive easy to understand package list but this way is even more confusing as Advance will no longer mean all top features included.

Or May be the Advance + Type S was going to cost too high for an Acura, so they decided to axe it?

Last edited by technocrat; 12-09-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:21 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Interesting that the Advance doesn't get adaptive dampers. For that you have to get the Type S.

And one cool thing is that acoustic glass is standard across all trim levels.
I don't get it...something's not right here...I smell a rat!! Advance NOT having Adaptive dampers??? Type S, according to Acura, is going to have
a "performance AIR suspension." So, that rules out Adap. for Type S?? Hard to believe Advance doesn't have Adap. My '19 does. There has to
be some kind of mistake on the Spec sheet, etc. IF the: Base, Tech, A-Spec, and Adv ALL have Amplitude reactive dampers....AND the Type S has
"performance AIR suspension".....then what happened to the ADAPTIVE dampers.???? Going on what version?? Error somewhere....has to be. Grrrrr
The following users liked this post:
Gen4MDX (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 01:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Absolutely agree! I’m a bit ticked with Acura, they tease the hell out of you with those wheels, massaging sets, and 1000 watt stereo, you WOULD EXPECT all of that on the Advance in addition to active damping.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 02:53 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Interesting that the Advance doesn't get adaptive dampers. For that you have to get the Type S.
Ah, the Hand of Cost Cutting working its magic again. With all the new fancy gizmos and posh materials, something has to give. Whether the order comes from the bean counters or the higher ups in Japan, we will never know. Or Acura is simply holding back features so they re-introduce them at the mid-cycle update.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:26 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
Sometimes Acura just makes the strangest decisions about options. The last Gen +18 RLX had some options like 10AT, Krell Audio, Traffic Jam Assist, 20 Lens LED headlights, and HUD that did and didn't make it down to lower models. The +19 RDX picked up Traffic Jam Assist, 10AT, and HUD. Acura could treat the MDX Type-S like the RLX hybrid and not filter down certain luxury/tech until the 5th Gen MDX.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:38 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by tsturbo
Absolutely agree! I’m a bit ticked with Acura, they tease the hell out of you with those wheels, massaging sets, and 1000 watt stereo, you WOULD EXPECT all of that on the Advance in addition to active damping.
Yep...being an Acura owner many times over, I was so looking fwd to the new MDX...not that my '19 Adv is not a great SUV, it is. But, my wife and I saw this new one
being so different...and truly raising the bar pretty high...for Acura. Then I see the "teases" that are now NOT coming to fruition. That really upsets me. Don't tease us
and make us "think" the Advance will have certain "goodies", but, show us what is real and what will most likely happen. Don't "shock us" on Reveal Day with "goodies"
that are not even close to what we imagined. Frustrating. I'm not saying the new MDX is not going to be a "great one"...it's just how the models are outfitted etc,

I still see some possible errors in what the Spec Sheet was showing. But, the fancy stitched seats, massage seats, and top ELS system are looking like....not for the Adv, but
only for the Type S. Still don't understand that logic.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Yep...being an Acura owner many times over, I was so looking fwd to the new MDX...not that my '19 Adv is not a great SUV, it is. But, my wife and I saw this new one
being so different...and truly raising the bar pretty high...for Acura. Then I see the "teases" that are now NOT coming to fruition. That really upsets me. Don't tease us
and make us "think" the Advance will have certain "goodies", but, show us what is real and what will most likely happen. Don't "shock us" on Reveal Day with "goodies"
that are not even close to what we imagined. Frustrating. I'm not saying the new MDX is not going to be a "great one"...it's just how the models are outfitted etc,

I still see some possible errors in what the Spec Sheet was showing. But, the fancy stitched seats, massage seats, and top ELS system are looking like....not for the Adv, but
only for the Type S. Still don't understand that logic.
I'm guessing Acura wants to make their flagship MDX extra special so that it even supersedes what you can get on the top TLX. Honestly, I can see the MDX Type S being close to $65k. If they wanted X5, Q7, and GLE shoppers to see Acura as the "value proposition", they will just ignore it as clearly as they ignore the current TLX.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:36 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by ELIN
I'm guessing Acura wants to make their flagship MDX extra special so that it even supersedes what you can get on the top TLX. Honestly, I can see the MDX Type S being close to $65k. If they wanted X5, Q7, and GLE shoppers to see Acura as the "value proposition", they will just ignore it as clearly as they ignore the current TLX.
Yeah, just frustrating and not what I wanted as a buyer. I do see the Type S at that price or even up to maybe $67K or $68K. Just shy of that next major price point of....$70K.
But, since I do like Acuras for the pricing and what you get....and the fact that this new one does have some great functional, tech and design changes....for the better, I will
order an Advance. Once I know what the heck it's coming with exactly! LOL! My New Car Mgr. is placing his first order next Monday. The one I want is to be in that order.
Hope he has an Order Guide I can see...since as of this afternoon....NO Build and Price on the Acura site yet.

You know...I think Acura is holding out on the Build and Price for the 2022 'cause they dumped so many '20's on the dealers since they were delayed 2 mos. in bringing out the '22.
They sent letters to all the dealers...stating..."don't worry, you'll have plenty of MDX's to sell....we are sending you extras!!! My dealer has....98 '20 MDX's on the lot. WOW!!!
Acura has to move those fast before the '22 arrives...or they will have to really incentivize the '20s to sell them. Some folks are now and will get great deals on a great SUV.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:42 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No deals on this rig:

-Local dealer has eight orders placed. (I am one of those).
-All were the Platinum Elite level model "package".
-5 of those were Liquid Carbon ext colour. (Choices are that, Blue or White).
-Interior = "Saddle Brown" (choices are that or black). There is an image of it on Acura.ca. Acura.com only shows the red interior in an A-Spec, but lists the brown as "Espresso" in the specs. Really wanted the light coloured interior, but not available in that model.

Deal notes:
a) $500 deposit; fully refundable. They'll gladly refund that cuz they'll "have a line-up of buyers" for mine if I choose not to take it.
b) Price has not yet been set. When it is set, there will be no dealing; you will be paying full MSRP. For reason, see "a)" above.

Acura has a smash hit on their hands.

Footnotes:
1. Only the top model has real basic stuff like heated steering wheel and remote start (per the Acura.com site; Acura.ca is useless). No wonder everyone's ordering the Platinum Elite model.
2. Platinum Elite = Canada; US models refer to is as "Advance". "Advance"??...Marketing blokes in Canada really spun that up.
3. Salesmen are flying almost completely in the dark. Sales Manager had to come and sneak us a color palette look. Very bizarre.

Why my (new member) handle = MDXALAS":
i) I know about the legendary reliability, but can't stand the looks of the present one. But my 23 YO and 26 YO sons think the new one passes muster, and one is a real car guy, so here we go.
ii) The 2020 seats are terrific. The 2022's (Platinum Elite model) are 16-way adjustable with thigh extender so likely even better. I have driven Jeep Grand Cherokees for 15 years and swear by them except the current gen seats are legendarily awful (for EIGHT YEARS STRAIGHT) and are the only reason I am leaving the brand. If Jeep gets it right with the all new 2022 model, I would have stayed, but I think my MDX might be on the lot months before the Jeeps show up.
iii) The MDX interior really hits the mark for me. I rode in one once, which seemed like a plastic ski boot inside.

So...if you're considering it...pitter-patter.
kareshi (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 01:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
There’s probably pent up demand from Acura / MDX fans but I very much doubt this is going to be a smash hit. A smash hit would be something like the Genesis which the press are raving about.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:10 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There’s probably pent up demand from Acura / MDX fans but I very much doubt this is going to be a smash hit. A smash hit would be something like the Genesis which the press are raving about.
Agree with you completely. If the GV70 can tow 5000 lbs I may have to reconsider. It is a beauty. I recant the "smash"; stand with "hit".
Old 12-30-2020, 03:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MDXALAS
Agree with you completely. If the GV70 can tow 5000 lbs I may have to reconsider. It is a beauty. I recant the "smash"; stand with "hit".
Don't discount the non-luxury Korean makes as competition. The KIA Telluride and the Hyundai Palisade fully loaded will make you rethink "luxury." They probably only lose out in the fuel economy dept...
Old 12-30-2020, 03:30 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts

ii) The 2020 seats are terrific. The 2022's (Platinum Elite model) are 16-way adjustable with thigh extender so likely even better. I have driven Jeep Grand Cherokees for 15 years and swear by them except the current gen seats are legendarily awful (for EIGHT YEARS STRAIGHT) and are the only reason I am leaving the brand. If Jeep gets it right with the all new 2022 model, I would have stayed, but I think my MDX might be on the lot months before the Jeeps show up.'

According to the Acura news release, the MDX Type-S driver seat is also equipped with massaging feature.
kareshi (12-30-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 09:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think the GV80 is what competes with the MDX.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:36 AM
mrgold35

I think the GV80 is what competes with the MDX.
I haven't looked apple-to-apples of the GV80 compared to MDX. I think the GV80 base engine is a turbo 4 like other luxury brands. I don't know if a turbo 4 and V6T GV80 prices out compared equipment wise to the 3.5L tech, Aspec, or Adv MDX?
Old 01-01-2021, 04:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I haven't looked apple-to-apples of the GV80 compared to MDX. I think the GV80 base engine is a turbo 4 like other luxury brands. I don't know if a turbo 4 and V6T GV80 prices out compared equipment wise to the 3.5L tech, Aspec, or Adv MDX?
I haven’t looked at them either but all of the reviews of the GV80 mention the MDX.

Genesis styling is not to my liking. If I wasn’t in the Acura because of value, I would probably be in the Volvo (XC60 since I have an RDX) for its seats.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:34 AM
mrgold35

I haven’t looked at them either but all of the reviews of the GV80 mention the MDX.

Genesis styling is not to my liking. If I wasn’t in the Acura because of value, I would probably be in the Volvo (XC60 since I have an RDX) for its seats.
Great minds think alike... Volvo XC60 and XC90 would be my second choice also. I really like the plug-in hybrid models from Volvo. Still holding out hope there will be another MDX (sport and/or plug-in) hybrid by MMC time in +2025. No electric vehicle for me; unless, they can extend the range to 1000 miles per charge or cut the recharge time down to same time to pump gas. That is why I like the MDX hybrid so much, you just have to pump gas and go.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Great minds think alike... Volvo XC60 and XC90 would be my second choice also. I really like the plug-in hybrid models from Volvo. Still holding out hope there will be another MDX (sport and/or plug-in) hybrid by MMC time in +2025. No electric vehicle for me; unless, they can extend the range to 1000 miles per charge or cut the recharge time down to same time to pump gas. That is why I like the MDX hybrid so much, you just have to pump gas and go.
Toyota’s solid state battery can charge completely within 10 min and has the potential to offer a range around 300 miles. But a production car with that battery is still a ways off (2023).
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...ow/ar-BB1bV4Eb
mrgold35 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 08:37 AM
mrgold35

Toyota’s solid state battery can charge completely within 10 min and has the potential to offer a range around 300 miles. But a production car with that battery is still a ways off (2023).
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...ow/ar-BB1bV4Eb
Having 10-30 min full recharge time is within my wait/pump time now at Sam's/Costco most days. I'm already at +450 miles per tank with my MDX hybrid. It would be so sweet if Acura/Honda could improve that to 750-1000 miles per tank of gas. Current battery weight, recharge times, and battery power density are keeping that from happening.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
My average mpg is at 52 and I'm regularly filling up at 800+ miles per tank. Typically I fill up at the 1/4 tank mark. However I just had installed the engine management system Polestar upgrade. Giddy up! More power (not that it needs it), but why not if you can get it without turning a wrench.

Last edited by RLX-Sport Hybrid; 01-01-2021 at 06:46 PM.
mrgold35 (01-01-2021)