2022 MDX First Look

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 04:29 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by tsturbo
I don’t want touch screen, fingerprints all over it, rather have track pad!
I honestly couldn't care less about this infotainment hoopla, but it seems to be a major factor in most people's buying decision. Personally, I love the TrueTouch track pad that Acura uses. Seeing all the negative reviews about it, I was surprised how easy and intuitive it was for me. I guess depending on how your brain is wired, some people love it, some people hate it. I hate rotary knobs for infotainment. My brother loves it on his BMW, but also likes the track pad on the Acura. Different strokes. That being said, I think Acura should consider dual modes of use, track pad and touch, to grab more buyers. Just my opinion ...
The following 4 users liked this post by leomio85:
birdonamission (10-29-2020), Gen4MDX (10-24-2020), mrgold35 (10-25-2020), ostrich (11-30-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 07:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts
I hate the fingerprints and agree, the trackpad is great (for me)!
Old 10-24-2020, 11:56 PM
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
Car play solves 90% of my issues, not sure why are you guys are complaining. I'm sure 90% of us purchased this SUV for its driving dynamics rather than its 2014 interior.
The following users liked this post:
Gen4MDX (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 05:27 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,538 Likes on 1,197 Posts
The only info-tainment solution is for Acura to use true touch track pad, multi wide screens+HUD, selector knobs, touch screens, gesture control, redundant hard button back-up, wired AND wireless Carplay, 5G internet, and voice commands. Toss in a CD player, tape deck, and 8-track for the "ol' school" buyers like myself.
Midwestuser1 (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Don’t forget dvd audio!
Old 10-25-2020, 11:28 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
^^^^^

Unfortunately, music publishers don't make DVD audio disc any more.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:38 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
I don’t want touch screen, fingerprints all over it, rather have track pad!
Exactly, nearly everyone gets what they want if they add touch. Don't like touch, use the trackpad. Don't like the trackpad, use touch. Win, win.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:48 AM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Thinking of upgrading from my 2019 RDX Advance to the 2022 MDX. Love everything I'm seeing so far. It looks fantastic inside and out. (Somebody on this thread said this new 2022 MDX's exterior didn't change - HUH?)

I have no issues with the True Touchpad Interface. I learned how it's supposed to work and got used to it over time. I will say the most annoying thing on the RDX was the infotainment software, but they've been addressed via updates and things are now stable and work fine.

Anyway, I haven't quite decided yet, but I'm really feeling the MDX 4G.
BGR (10-30-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 09:13 AM
mrgold35

There is a good chance the 19-21 RDX will have its MMC sometime by the end of 2021. The 2022 RDX should have a similar interior look and tech upgrades as the 4th Gen 2022 MDX (still might be missing a few of the MDX's tech, suspension, and luxury upgrades). The differences over the 22 RDX -vs- 22 MDX might just be cabin space, towing, and/or a need for a 3rd row (maybe getting away from the 2.0T if you prefer the 3.5L).
Old 10-29-2020, 10:34 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,617 Likes on 974 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
There is a good chance the 19-21 RDX will have its MMC sometime by the end of 2021. The 2022 RDX should have a similar interior look and tech upgrades as the 4th Gen 2022 MDX (still might be missing a few of the MDX's tech, suspension, and luxury upgrades). The differences over the 22 RDX -vs- 22 MDX might just be cabin space, towing, and/or a need for a 3rd row (maybe getting away from the 2.0T if you prefer the 3.5L).
I was actually thinking the same. I thought most likely after the TLX Type S and MDX Type S are released and on the market. Acura may bring the MMC for RDX. But also, there is the new "ILX". Apparently we will get a glimpse of it sometime next year as well. Let's wait and see.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:41 PM
Pro

There is a good chance the 19-21 RDX will have its MMC sometime by the end of 2021. The 2022 RDX should have a similar interior look and tech upgrades as the 4th Gen 2022 MDX (still might be missing a few of the MDX's tech, suspension, and luxury upgrades).
I thought “MMC” means minor model change (quick Google search), in which case a refresh so that the RDX mimics the 4G MDX’s interior and tech would not be so minor, I wouldn’t think.

I definitely like the wireless charging pad, 12.3” screen, etc.

I’m assuming the MDX has power-folding side view mirrors, which I would’ve loved on my RDX (U.S.).
Old 10-30-2020, 05:49 AM
mrgold35

MMC to Acura can mean different things depending on the vehicle and sales:
- Minor Model Change
- Mid Model Change
- Major Model Change

The 14-16 to 17-20 MDX MMC added:
- different bolt pattern for wheels
- new hood, grill, front bumper, and front fenders
- new rear bumper with exhaust outlets
- AcuraWatch standard
- Carplay for +18 models
- new wood and seat control trim for +18
- updated touchscreen resolution and features
- hybrid powertrain option
- electronic dampers for hybrid model and +19 Adv models
- Aspec model for +19

The 2016 ILX/RDX did an interior change to the dual screen layout for its MMC in 2016. The RLX MMC kept the powertrain and interior the same (updated the seats, suspension, and battery pack); but, complete re-do of the exterior to look almost like a new model. It is hit or miss with the MMC; but, Acura usually adds the upgrades that keeps it (somewhat) current to the competition. There is no guarantee Acura will do the RDX MMC for 2022 to mimic the 22 MDX and if the changes will be minor or major. I just got in the habit of waiting for the +MMC model if I want the most up-to-date Acura with the least amount of issues to keep +100,000 miles.

Last edited by mrgold35; 10-30-2020 at 05:55 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mrgold35:
birdonamission (10-30-2020), Ludepower (10-30-2020), Tony Pac (10-30-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 01:01 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
I think MMC generally refers to minor/mild model change. FMC on the other hand is for full model change.
The following 2 users liked this post by iforyou:
bilirubin (10-31-2020), Edward'TLS (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 07:14 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
I think MMC generally refers to minor/mild model change. FMC on the other hand is for full model change.
Agree.

For Honda/Acura, "mid model cycle" (MMC) update is the minor model change/refresh which happens at half way of a 5-year full model cycle (FMC) product. It is usually released at about 2 to 2.5 years after a brand new (FMC) model is introduced.

However, MMC may mean something else to different auto makers.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
The new MDX is looking great for us.

We are still rocking our 1st year model 2014 MDX with 125K miles. Except for some minor early build issues, ours has been pretty rock solid. Still a smooth/quiet/efficient ride after all these years (30mpg highway is very obtainable). We are looking forward to upgrading ours at end of next year depending on pricing and the amount of bugs on the new MDX Hopefully Acura doesn't get too excited and price it too high.

We are also looking at X3/X4/X5 as alternatives since we don't necessarily need those 3rd row seats. The RDX styling is not doing anything for us though.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:23 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
The new MDX is looking great for us.

We are still rocking our 1st year model 2014 MDX with 125K miles. Except for some minor early build issues, ours has been pretty rock solid. Still a smooth/quiet/efficient ride after all these years (30mpg highway is very obtainable). We are looking forward to upgrading ours at end of next year depending on pricing and the amount of bugs on the new MDX Hopefully Acura doesn't get too excited and price it too high.

We are also looking at X3/X4/X5 as alternatives since we don't necessarily need those 3rd row seats. The RDX styling is not doing anything for us though.
Have you considered Genesis GV80?
Old 11-17-2020, 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by technocrat
Have you considered Genesis GV80?
Yes definitely. I looked at the videos and reviews. It's appears to be a fantastic SUV. We are just not sold on the badge and the quality just yet. Maybe the next generation for a better track record.

On a side note, my in-laws have been shopping for a Telluride/Palesade. All the dealerships in the area are asking for MSRP, no budge. Wow are they that hot?
technocrat (11-19-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 04:14 PM
BGR
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Yes definitely. I looked at the videos and reviews. It's appears to be a fantastic SUV. We are just not sold on the badge and the quality just yet. Maybe the next generation for a better track record.

On a side note, my in-laws have been shopping for a Telluride/Palesade. All the dealerships in the area are asking for MSRP, no budge. Wow are they that hot?
You can see some top trim GV80s at $79K on cars.com

Some dealers in my area have the Telluride and Palisade marked up $5K over MSRP. A loaded Palisade is $56K at one dealer. Expect the same from Genesis or at least MSRP as they have so many trims to sell you down to.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:41 PM
Pro

The more I read and watch about the 2022 MDX, the more I’m convincing myself I “need” it...lol. We could use more space when we travel than what the 2019 RDX Advance has, which has ample space 99% of the time (when we’re not traveling). We don’t fly, we drive to places on the Eastern seaboard, so we load up. But beyond the practical, I really like its overall aesthetics, upgraded technology, etc.

I’m super curious what an Advance would cost, and I don’t guess we’ll know that until Jan-Feb being that it’s supposed to be available to buy in “early 2021.”
Old 11-18-2020, 09:52 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 443 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by birdonamission
The more I read and watch about the 2022 MDX, the more I’m convincing myself I “need” it...lol. We could use more space when we travel than what the 2019 RDX Advance has, which has ample space 99% of the time (when we’re not traveling). We don’t fly, we drive to places on the Eastern seaboard, so we load up. But beyond the practical, I really like its overall aesthetics, upgraded technology, etc.

I’m super curious what an Advance would cost, and I don’t guess we’ll know that until Jan-Feb being that it’s supposed to be available to buy in “early 2021.”
I'm convinced too! I have a short garage...my '19 Adv fits, but, I can only handle about 4" longer. Still don't know the length of the new one.
I'm sure the costs for all will be out on Dec. 8, the official release date. IF for some reason not on Acura's web site....but, I'm betting yes....then
your dealer will know.
birdonamission (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 10:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I'm convinced too! I have a short garage...my '19 Adv fits, but, I can only handle about 4" longer. Still don't know the length of the new one.
I'm sure the costs for all will be out on Dec. 8, the official release date. IF for some reason not on Acura's web site....but, I'm betting yes....then
your dealer will know.
Whoa, I hadn't heard about the Dec. 8th release date. Getting psyched now...lol. I also want to hear about dimensions for the same reason (garage). Thanks!
Old 11-18-2020, 10:04 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

I'm a multiple Acura buyer from my dealership, so, I always get first choice of the "first delivery or allocations" due in. I'm getting an Advance, white pearl with parchment int.
Don't know IF there are any stand alone options, but, I doubt it. Just the Accessories. I'll figure those out later. Again, this is IF the darn thing will fit my garage. Grrrr.....!
I'll cut a hole in the garage door and let it hang out.......LOL!.....OK, I won't do that. I'll figure something out. Not passing on this all new MDX. We love our '19 Adv, but, this new
one just takes it to another, better, level....it sure seems. I was disappointed with the new TLX. Hard to explain. I've owned them....loved the A-Spec I had....that body was just
the right size. So, no TLX for me. Wife gets the MDX. I get a new '21 Mustang...it's on order now.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:15 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Whoa, I hadn't heard about the Dec. 8th release date. Getting psyched now...lol. I also want to hear about dimensions for the same reason (garage). Thanks!
Of course. We're here to help one another. I know the wheelbase is 3" longer, and it's a little wider...and it's lower, but, nothing on the length anywhere. I've pushed my "guy" at my
dealer to try and find out.....so I don't have to wait till Dec. 8th...LOL!....but, he can't seem to find it either. Oh well....something to look fwd too...He "thought" he saw it on a video
somewhere that it was going to be 4" longer. BUT....I asked him to "prove it!!!!"....LOL! I need to know exactly and for sure. I think he was mistaken, BUT, I'm guessing it just might be
about that. They stretched the TLX...I bet they stretched the overall length on the MDX. If it's 6" I could be in trouble.
One thing...at least for me...that I wish was just an option and that is the Panoramic roof. I have no use for them. I had a '19 RDX...and didn't like that one. Sunroofs are fine, I like them.
But, it will be std. on all MDX's....just like all RDX's got it. Don't get caught in a hail storm!! I live in hail country. That can total your vehicle....glass roof breaks, rain comes in and destroys the interior,
and on in to wherever else. Usually a total. And we get hail stones baseball size. Often golf ball size. That does a number on everything. Esp. homes. Just ask me!! Yikes.

My guess on the MSRP for the Adv. will be approx. $61,500 to $62,000. ??? Hope not much more. We'll know Dec. 8th.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 11-18-2020 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:17 PM
Pro

I'm a multiple Acura buyer from my dealership, so, I always get first choice of the "first delivery or allocations" due in. I'm getting an Advance, white pearl with parchment int.
Don't know IF there are any stand alone options, but, I doubt it. Just the Accessories. I'll figure those out later. Again, this is IF the darn thing will fit my garage. Grrrr.....!
I'll cut a hole in the garage door and let it hang out.......LOL!.....OK, I won't do that. I'll figure something out. Not passing on this all new MDX. We love our '19 Adv, but, this new
one just takes it to another, better, level....it sure seems. I was disappointed with the new TLX. Hard to explain. I've owned them....loved the A-Spec I had....that body was just
the right size. So, no TLX for me. Wife gets the MDX. I get a new '21 Mustang...it's on order now.
Nice. I'm pretty much an SUV/Crossover guy now (fits my lifestyle, re: their utility, etc.), so my sedan days are over, but good for you on the '21 Mustang. If I were ever to have an exception, it might be for one of those!

Just don't do a cutout on your garage door for the new MDX or any reason...
Old 11-18-2020, 10:27 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Nice. I'm pretty much an SUV/Crossover guy now (fits my lifestyle, re: their utility, etc.), so my sedan days are over, but good for you on the '21 Mustang. If I were ever to have an exception, it might be for one of those!

Just don't do a cutout on your garage door for the new MDX or any reason...
Ok...I guess I better not do any "cutting!" Besides, I love my insulted garage door!!! LOL!
I've always been a "car guy" ....lots of Mustangs, Supras, Corvette, etc. I like cool SUV's too....just enjoy both. This will be my 12th Mustang. Got a '19 in the
garage now. Wife likes sports cars too....BUT ever since I put her in our first SUV....a CRV some yrs ago, she grew to like driving them...sitting up higher, etc.
But, she enjoys the sports cars like me. So, we normally have one of each. NOT always. We have had 2 new RDX's at the same time. Previous Gen.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:30 PM
Pro

Of course. We're here to help one another. I know the wheelbase is 3" longer, and it's a little wider...and it's lower, but, nothing on the length anywhere. I've pushed my "guy" at my
dealer to try and find out.....so I don't have to wait till Dec. 8th...LOL!....but, he can't seem to find it either. Oh well....something to look fwd too...He "thought" he saw it on a video
somewhere that it was going to be 4" longer. BUT....I asked him to "prove it!!!!"....LOL! I need to know exactly and for sure. I think he was mistaken, BUT, I'm guessing it just might be
about that. They stretched the TLX...I bet they stretched the overall length on the MDX. If it's 6" I could be in trouble.
One thing...at least for me...that I wish was just an option and that is the Panoramic roof. I have no use for them. I had a '19 RDX...and didn't like that one. Sunroofs are fine, I like them.
But, it will be std. on all MDX's....just like all RDX's got it. Don't get caught in a hail storm!! I live in hail country. That can total your vehicle....glass roof breaks, rain comes in and destroys the interior,
and on in to wherever else. Usually a total. And we get hail stones baseball size. Often golf ball size. That does a number on everything. Esp. homes. Just ask me!! Yikes.
When I pull into my garage with my 2019 RDX and scoot up a bit, I think I have close to 2 feet of space to play with. Good point about the panoramic roof. Glad we don't have those kind of hail stones around my parts!
Old 11-18-2020, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Are you planning to purchase or lease? We are leaning towards leasing right now and then purchase a 2025 at mid model refresh?
tecwerks (12-04-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 10:40 PM
Pro

Are you planning to purchase or lease? We are leaning towards leasing right now and then purchase a 2025 at mid model refresh?
Probably buy. I have low miles on my 2019 RDX and a low balance left on my loan, so I should be able make a serious dent on the cost of the new 2022 MDX.
Gen4MDX (11-19-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 10:45 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

When I pull into my garage with my 2019 RDX and scoot up a bit, I think I have close to 2 feet of space to play with. Good point about the panoramic roof. Glad we don't have those kind of hail stones around my parts!
Lucky you. Plenty of room. Was going to buy a new house earlier this year...just missed out on a wonderful home with a 3 car gar. Then COVID hit and we just backed out for now.
Plus the market here is CRAZY! Too few homes avail to buy....most are getting over what they ask due to bidding wars. I don't mind paying more 'cause I'll be getting more for my
home. So, the "spread" stays about the same.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:45 PM
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by RCJD
100% agree with you Jason - The disappointments that i have encountered on my 2020 RDX A-Spec was so bad that now I have conclude that first year Gen of that vehicle will be plague with issues - big & small. So yah, if I will upgrade later it will be after the refresh-if ever.
The only thing that sucks on my 2019 RDX-ASpec is the crappy infotainment glitches so, since the 2022 MDX looks to be using the same infotainment system I hope that Acura has got the hardware innards sorted in the new MDX by now. I also hope there is just raw exhaust sound and not the fake garbage. Twin Scroll Turbo V6 should kick ass.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:47 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
your dealer will know.
LOL me three! The 2022 MDX (or 2023) looks to be a great candidate to replace my 2019 rdx, as we are expecting our second child in a few months. Odyssey or MDX.....problem with Odyssey is that its interior is so so relative to the RDX or MDX. A luxury once sampled becomes a necessity..lol.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:44 AM
mrgold35

Has anyone seen pics of the 2022 MDX A-Spec they can post?
Old 12-03-2020, 04:11 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Has anyone seen pics of the 2022 MDX A-Spec they can post?
I'm always looking for anything on the MDX...but, no...and I'm hoping on next Tues. reveal they will have some info...or posted on
the Acura web page. But, for now, I'm prob. getting the Plat.White Pearl/Parch. Advance. Generally the A-Spec versions of Acuras
have less "things" on them than the Advance. But, maybe it will be different this time.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:16 PM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
I'm always looking for anything on the MDX...but, no...and I'm hoping on next Tues. reveal they will have some info...or posted on
the Acura web page. But, for now, I'm prob. getting the Plat.White Pearl/Parch. Advance. Generally the A-Spec versions of Acuras
have less "things" on them than the Advance. But, maybe it will be different this time.
I will be eyeing the Type S version this summer!
Old 12-03-2020, 04:55 PM
mrgold35

The Type-S MDX and A-Spec MDXs may not have the same level of tech/luxury as the Adv MDX if Acura follows the same formula as the 2nd Gen TLX.
ELIN (12-04-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 10:11 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

The Type-S MDX and A-Spec MDXs may not have the same level of tech/luxury as the Adv MDX if Acura follows the same formula as the 2nd Gen TLX.
You are most likely spot on. That's been the pattern. I've owned many Acuras during the last 7-8 yrs. Trade often. My Adv. will be ordered on Dec. 14th. UNLESS...by chance...the
A-Spec version is as loaded as the Adv. But....I doubt it!! LOL!
The following 2 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
Gen4MDX (12-03-2020), mrgold35 (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 07:00 AM
Drifting

Received 1,270 Likes on 924 Posts
If they combine too much of the Advance and A-Spec, it could cannibalize PMC sales which combines both and offers exclusive paint jobs.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:48 AM
mrgold35

I don't get the reason for A-Spec, PMC, Hybrid, Adv, or Type-S if these models all offer something different; but, missing features from each of these limit run vehicles? I would be 100% fine doing a special order and waiting 1-3 months for a MDX Adv+Aspec+hybrid+bench 2nd row seat in a color combo I really want like red with ebony or graystone.

Miss the good old days when A-Spec was a dealer installed option (I did the 06 TSX with A-Spec).

Last edited by mrgold35; 12-04-2020 at 07:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrgold35:
DJ Iceman (12-04-2020), technocrat (12-09-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 07:58 AM
Drifting

Received 1,270 Likes on 924 Posts
I don't get the reason for A-Spec, PMC, Hybrid, Adv, or Type-S if these models all offer something different; but, missing features from each of these limit run vehicles? I would be 100% fine doing a special order and waiting 1-3 months for a MDX Adv+Aspec+hybrid+bench 2nd row seat in a color combo I really want like red with ebony or graystone.

Miss the good old days when A-Spec was a dealer installed option (I did the 06 TSX with A-Spec).
Acura is no different where every additional option is a potential money grab.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 416 Likes on 315 Posts
Interesting that the Advance doesn't get adaptive dampers. For that you have to get the Type S.

And one cool thing is that acoustic glass is standard across all trim levels.

Last edited by anoop; 12-08-2020 at 11:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 2022 MDX First Look