2022 MDX Advance - A-Spec Styling - Chrome Delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 11:00 AM
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 MDX Advance - A-Spec Styling - Chrome Delete

Like other folks we really like the ASpec styling but want the features of the Advance. We have one that we'll be picking up later this week. The only thing that bothers me about the Advance is all the chrome trim around the car. The window trim I plan to vinyl wrap, but the rest of the chrome I was thinking about ordering the ASpec parts for and having the dealer or a local auto body replace. Here's the total I got for everything with the exception of the window trim. Has anyone tried this? Noticed someone on the RDX thread did something similar to their 2019. And does anyone know a reliable technician in the Northern Virginia area that could do this work for me?

Old 12-05-2021, 12:14 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,193 Posts
I didn't like the chrome on my Fathom Blue Pearl 19 MDX hybrid Adv. I found a local installer to Plastic Dip out all the chrome for $250 cash +2 years ago. It has been holding up perfectly and my MDX is my main travel vehicle in the southwest (75-80 hwy speeds, 90-115 degrees in the summer, hand wash only). The only other choice is wait for the Mid Model Change in around 2024-2025 and Acura combines the Aspec+Advance like they did for the RDX.

The following users liked this post:
KidK (03-03-2022)
Old 12-05-2021, 08:57 PM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I didn't like the chrome on my Fathom Blue Pearl 19 MDX hybrid Adv. I found a local installer to Plastic Dip out all the chrome for $250 cash +2 years ago. It has been holding up perfectly and my MDX is my main travel vehicle in the southwest (75-80 hwy speeds, 90-115 degrees in the summer, hand wash only). The only other choice is wait for the Mid Model Change in around 2024-2025 and Acura combines the Aspec+Advance like they did for the RDX.

Looks great!!
mrgold35 (02-07-2022)
Old 12-05-2021, 08:59 PM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by mmp151
Like other folks we really like the ASpec styling but want the features of the Advance. We have one that we'll be picking up later this week. The only thing that bothers me about the Advance is all the chrome trim around the car. The window trim I plan to vinyl wrap, but the rest of the chrome I was thinking about ordering the ASpec parts for and having the dealer or a local auto body replace. Here's the total I got for everything with the exception of the window trim. Has anyone tried this? Noticed someone on the RDX thread did something similar to their 2019. And does anyone know a reliable technician in the Northern Virginia area that could do this work for me?
Can't wait to see it!!
Old 12-05-2021, 09:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mmp151
The 2023 MDX ordering will allow A-Spec with Advance. This was confirmed. I went ahead and ordered and took delivery of my 2022 PWP A-Spec knowing I’ll trade it as soon as the order bank opens for 2023. My dealer was very transparent with me about this.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:18 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by ILM-MDX
The 2023 MDX ordering will allow A-Spec with Advance. This was confirmed. I went ahead and ordered and took delivery of my 2022 PWP A-Spec knowing I’ll trade it as soon as the order bank opens for 2023. My dealer was very transparent with me about this.
Really? I was told this wouldn’t come up until mid generation refresh in 2024 or 2025. Did your dealer confirm it? If so, I may ask to pass on my delivery.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:32 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by mrgold35

Looks great!
mrgold35 (02-07-2022)
Old 12-05-2021, 10:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Sent you a PM. Confirmed 100% for 2023MY.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:44 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,193 Posts
I did 100% plastic dip my 19 MDX. I took my 18 RLX to same installer and he recommended plastic dip the front/rear and vinyl wrap the side chrome (I did gloss vinyl wrap and gloss plastic dip). Both the plastic dip and vinyl wrap came out perfect on either car. Both are holding up perfectly since install a few years ago (garage kept, hand wash). I'm not sure how well the vinyl wrap would do on the front bumper if you travel a lot with debris hits or have a bug gut issue during the summer? I had a few spots on my front grill that was showing the chrome from debris strikes. Tapping off with painter tape and a couple of quick sprays from a plastic dip spray can fixed it in few minutes.

Plastic dip/vinyl wrap would be the cheaper solution for now if you are thinking about upgrading to Aspec+Adv a few years down the road.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:36 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you install this? If so, can you post some pics?
Old 02-03-2022, 08:30 AM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
While we’re on the subject, wanted to share my 22 MDX tech with hyperdip (newer version of plastidip). I chrome deleted the front grille, window trim, rims etc. I was able to do it myself in my garage over the weekend. Cost was about $130 and I watched videos on YouTube to learn how to apply the product.

It’s been 4 months since I’ve chrome deleted my MDX and it’s holding up with no issues. I even go through automatic car washes.

Product is the piano black gloss hyperdip.

May be an option for someone that wants full leather seating surfaces of a tech model but wants pretty much the identical look of the ASPEC. We have 2 kids so the leather/suede combo of ASPEC was out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Danny Kim:
domshed (02-03-2022), mrgold35 (02-07-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 11:18 AM
Cruisin'

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny Kim
While we’re on the subject, wanted to share my 22 MDX tech with hyperdip (newer version of plastidip). I chrome deleted the front grille, window trim, rims etc. I was able to do it myself in my garage over the weekend. Cost was about $130 and I watched videos on YouTube to learn how to apply the product.

It’s been 4 months since I’ve chrome deleted my MDX and it’s holding up with no issues. I even go through automatic car washes.

Product is the piano black gloss hyperdip.

May be an option for someone that wants full leather seating surfaces of a tech model but wants pretty much the identical look of the ASPEC. We have 2 kids so the leather/suede combo of ASPEC was out.

Looks really good! How hard was it to do the front emblem? I’d be afraid to break the radar lol.

Old 02-03-2022, 01:22 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Did you remove any of the parts or did you tape off the trims on the side (windows and lower door)?

Links to the helpful youtube videos you used?

Thank you.

Last edited by usmarinedelta; 02-03-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:20 PM
10th Gear

To answer a few questions:

1) I did not chrome deleted the Acura logo on the front grille or the badging in the rear of the vehicle. I could’ve, but decided not to. It looks fine just doing the chrome trim, wheels and side view mirrors.

2) YouTube hyperdip. There is even a channel you can subscribe to. They show you step by step. There are also average Joe’s that upload videos of their chrome delete.

3) i purchased a wheel kit, which included I think 4-5 cans. I then added I think 3 extra cans a la Carte. I think 8 cans is more than enough. Remember, the thicker you spray it on— the easier to peel off later on. That is assuming you want to peel off the chrome delete.

4) I misspoke earlier. I used the black metallic gloss color. This color is fine, but I would use the piano black gloss if I had to redo it. The piano black I think is more pure black. Black metallic is not as black but it has cool metallic flakes. Can’t go wrong with either.

5) as far as prep work, you’ll figure it out. I used painter’s tape and newspapers. Take a look at the videos and the tutorials. I’m 1000% an amateur and I was able to do a decent job.

good luck!!!
Old 02-22-2022, 08:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
My advanced is inbound (after giving up on the S) and I am considering doing the same as the OP.

Any progress? Seems like the window trim would be pretty simple to replace as well (rather then HyperDip).

If my options are dipping the whole thing for call it $300, or $800 worth of proper parts… feel like I would want to give this a shot too!

Old 02-22-2022, 09:11 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by EchoBrian
My advanced is inbound (after giving up on the S) and I am considering doing the same as the OP.

Any progress? Seems like the window trim would be pretty simple to replace as well (rather then HyperDip).

If my options are dipping the whole thing for call it $300, or $800 worth of proper parts… feel like I would want to give this a shot too!
I’m not the OP, but hyper dip will cost you under $150 easily. You can DIY. I did my chrome delete in my garage over the weekend. I’m not sure how much replacing the actual parts are on the vehicle, but in my experience replacing anything with OEM parts is not cheap.

There is also the added benefit of just peeling off the hyperdip if you decide to sell your car. I’m fairly pleased with the product as it’s been several months now and I don’t see any unintended peeling. I’ve been through the auto car wash at least half a dozen times already.

good luck!!!
Old 02-22-2022, 09:14 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the support! Don’t really have a “place” to do the painting (common garage in a condo), which adds to my reservation about doing it / figuring out how to do it.

Yours did turn out slick though!
Old 02-22-2022, 09:16 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by EchoBrian
Thanks for the support! Don’t really have a “place” to do the painting (common garage in a condo), which adds to my reservation about doing it / figuring out how to do it.

Yours did turn out slick though!
I’d recommend outdoors under some shade on a non windy day with low relative humidity. You don’t need a garage. I did mine halfway in my garage and driveway prep work is not hard. Just use tape and newspapers. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2022, 02:36 PM
Intermediate

I’d recommend outdoors under some shade on a non windy day with low relative humidity. You don’t need a garage. I did mine halfway in my garage and driveway prep work is not hard. Just use tape and newspapers. Good luck!
Found a dealer that has done a “blackout” package on an Advanced. Am getting the full parts list from them and will post when I have it!

Old 03-02-2022, 08:18 PM
Intermediate

This includes how to full blackout a 2022 Advanced, including window molding and mirrors.

Think I am leaning toward just the lower body work - but will see.

Old 06-05-2023, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m not the OP, but hyper dip will cost you under $150 easily. You can DIY. I did my chrome delete in my garage over the weekend. I’m not sure how much replacing the actual parts are on the vehicle, but in my experience replacing anything with OEM parts is not cheap.

There is also the added benefit of just peeling off the hyperdip if you decide to sell your car. I’m fairly pleased with the product as it’s been several months now and I don’t see any unintended peeling. I’ve been through the auto car wash at least half a dozen times already.

good luck!!!
@Danny Kim you motivated me to do my 22 tech but in red. Did the emblems and they came out great. Question- how did you do the rear bumper? It seems like I need to have the hatch open and then spray it. Any help would be much appreciated!