2022 Acura MDX Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 06:35 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,193 Posts
How is this twin scroll different from the 1st or 3rd Gen RDX turbo? The first gen had a variable turbo to adjust the exhaust pressure with an adjustable lever type valve. I have +180,000 miles on my 08 RDX and zero issues with that turbo set-up.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:02 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
How is this twin scroll different from the 1st or 3rd Gen RDX turbo? The first gen had a variable turbo to adjust the exhaust pressure with an adjustable lever type valve. I have +180,000 miles on my 08 RDX and zero issues with that turbo set-up.
The variable is just another engineering design that is a single turbo. The variable valve adjusted optimal wheel RPM and thus boost, but, I believe it is a single scroll...or, one channel of exh. gases to spin the turbine wheel.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:05 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by ELIN
Strange that Mitsubishi would split them into 2 different technologies.

I suggest using “dual scroll” from now on as folks will be less likely to assume “twin turbo” when reading “twin.”
For better overall understanding I agree but, most all veh. manufacturers use the twin scroll terminology. So, maybe for us here...it would help, but, folks will
still be hearing the "twin" word.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:41 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I had to do more research on that particular turbo design. It is more "technical" and complex due to how pressures are monitored and temps, all controlled by the Performance Control Module....or the main engine
control computer. An efficient and powerful design for a very small turbo housing. So, it does control exh. gas flow to the turbine wheel at different flow rates depending on what the PCM is sensing. So, bottom line,
you get less turbo lag, or hardly noticeable, and allows the more efficient running of the turbine wheel, bearings, and the compressor wheel. The lever type valve is mostly mounted externally thus not subjecting the
components to higher temps. Similar designed units have more of their components mounted inside the turbo housing, thus, are exposed to much higher temps, and thus not allowing as long a "life span" as does the
Acura designed unit. It does have "one scroll" or..one pathway of exh. gasses to come in to the turbo housing. Again, that flow is directly controlled by the movable valve. That valve is electrically controlled by a
solenoid, which is controlled by what?........the PCM. OK...'nuff said, hopefully. A pretty good system that provided that engine with great torque from such a small sized turbo.

Now, dual scroll turbos are also very efficient and a much better design that the "very basic turbocharger." But, they are larger in physical size, and that is somewhat of a "down side." Larger means you have to have
more room under the hood, around the engine, etc. to get it mounted, and all the plumping with controllers, waste gate, etc.
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (02-01-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 11:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/38...nd-performance
Old 02-01-2021, 06:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow SlashGear

https://www.slashgear.com/2022-acura...alue-31657449/

2022 Acura MDX 1st Drive – 3-row SUV knows who to convince

Chris Davies - Jan 31, 2021, 12:00pm CSTIf the 2022 Acura MDX is a revolution in 3-row SUVs, it could be because it doesn’t treat the driver as an afterthought. Sharper styling, a more upmarket cabin, and lashings of extra tech help justify the 4th-generation MDX’s climb into more expensive territory, but Acura still takes its mission statement seriously. A rewarding experience behind the wheel can’t be sacrificed, even in a family hauler.

The all-new platform allowed Acura’s designers to demand the lengthy hood, expansive dash-to-axle, and rear-biased cabin that their hearts desired, and the result is a fairly stunning SUV from most angles. Wider, longer, with more wheelbase and broader front and rear tracks, the new MDX wears Acura’s current aesthetic beautifully, from the outsized grille and narrow headlamps, to the sharply creased and scalloped sides.
It looks poised and purposeful, and it hides its heft well. Parked up next to an RDX, the new 3-row SUV looks elevated and imposing, rather than a flabby acquiescence to practicality. 19-inch wheels are standard, with 20-inch upgrades on the Tech and A-Spec trims.
Underneath there’s the usual battle between demands for sportiness and the requirement for comfort that any plush SUV faces. Acura says it’s the most rigid SUV it has made, up 32-percent in torsional rigidity, and the old MacPherson strut front suspension is gone in favor of a double-wishbone system. The brakes are bigger, the variable ratio steering promises less wheel-twiddling, and there’s an improved multi-link rear suspension system with dual load paths to cut out harshness from surly asphalt while also boosting cargo and third-row space.

Acura has carried over its 3.5-liter V6 with 290 horsepower and 267 lb-ft of torque, now fairly unusual among 4-cylinder rivals. It’s paired with a 10-speed automatic rather than the old 9-speed; paddle-shifters are standard, while the wider ratio range means a perkier pick-up in first gear. It can downshift up to four ratios at a time, too.
Front-wheel drive is standard, but Acura is understandably eager to push its 4th Gen Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD). That’s a $2k option on top of the base $46,900 MDX and $51,600 MDX Technology Package, and standard on the $57,100 A-Spec and $60,650 Advance Package (all plus $1,025 destination). It can push up to 70-percent of engine torque to the rear, and then distribute up to 100-percent of that to either the left or right wheels for proper torque vectoring.
Despite having six cylinders, Acura says it’s confident that economy is competitive with similarly-priced inline-4 rivals. Figure on 19 mpg in the city, 26 mpg on the highway, or 22 mpg combined from the FWD SUV, or 19 mpg city, 25 mpg highway, 21 mpg combined for the SH-AWD version.

Conspicuous by its absence is any sort of electrification. Acura doesn’t have a plug-in hybrid or full-electric version of the MDX, though it’s not counting something like that out down the line. “Electrification is going to be an important part of the company’s future direction,” insists Tom Nguyen, global development leader for the 2022 MDX, pointing out that “by 2030 2/3 of our products are going to be electrified.” For now, though, your choice is Acura V6 or another 3-row SUV.
Thankfully it’s a decent engine. Solid levels of power that the new gearbox isn’t stingy with, kicking down readily but without losing decorum in the process. The Integrated Dynamics System – that’s Acura-speak for “drive modes” – has 4 presets, for Snow, Comfort, Normal, and Sport. Unusually, you can set either Comfort or Normal as the default. An Individual mode allows you to mix’n’match the settings for your own recipe, adjusting things like gearbox eagerness and steering weight.

Acura’s insistence on putting the driver 1st does leave the 2022 MDX more crisply sprung than most rivals. It uses the same sort of amplitude reactive dampers as featured on the new TLX, with 2 sets of circuits that promise both compliance and sporting stability. Certainly, if you push the MDX through the corners it handles flatter and with more agility than you’d expect from a 4,500 pound SUV.
Flip to Comfort mode, though, and there’s no fancy adaptive damping or air suspension to soften all that up. The all-season performance Bridgestone rubber with a 15% stiffness improvement in the sidewall on my MDX A-Spec test car probably didn’t help matters, but it was definitely firmer across ruts and potholes than some of its competition.

Flicked to Sport mode, meanwhile, with the push-button transmission set to “S” too, and things made more sense. SH-AWD obviously shines on a performance car like the NSX, but it proves its worth in much larger metal like the MDX too. Think ample stability even on snowy backroads, combined with enough cornering urgency to shake loose the lunch of any unfortunate passengers.
That would be a messy shame, because the cabin is a big step forward. Indeed, anybody coming from an old MDX will be blown away. Gone is the confusing dual-display infotainment system, and a dashboard reminiscent of Iron Man’s codpiece. In its place is an intentionally authentic selection of materials: think real aluminum, real open-pore wood, and real Milano leather with contrast stitching.

The MDX still errs on the side of dedicated buttons for many of its features, but the end result feels a lot more cohesive than in the old SUV. All the same, there’s plenty of glossy black plastic and, though it contrasts nicely with the vivid red leather in my A-Spec, it definitely picks up dust and fingerprints.
Acura remains wedded to its touchpad-controlled infotainment system, making the argument that it drags your attention away from the road less than a touchscreen would. Sadly I just can’t get with that program. Acura’s True Touchpad Interface stumbles by diverging both from smartphone and laptop interfaces. I can’t tap the huge 12.3-inch center display like I would my smartphone, but you can’t really swipe around as you would on a laptop trackpad since Acura’s system maps 1:1 positions on its ‘pad to locations on the screen.

I suspect it’s a case of the research saying one thing, but the reality of how we’ve trained our brains and fingers to use systems being something different.
It’s a shame, because Acura’s UI is quite pleasant. The 2022 MDX gets a new processor and a Full HD panel with 60Hz refresh, and as a result everything is smooth and slick. AI-driven smart shortcuts promise to figure out what you use most often and shuffle them to the fore; I didn’t have the SUV long enough for it to get to grips with my own, particular whims. Those profiles are based on the keyfob, too, so if you’re sharing the MDX you can have 2 separate sets of suggestions.

There’s better onboard voice recognition now, along with integrated Alexa. You get wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and the Advanced trim adds a 12.5-inch color head-up display. A 12.3-inch digital gauge cluster is standard across the board, as is a 15W wireless charger that’s sized to accommodate even the burliest of phones.
Tri-zone climate control is standard, as are heated front seats; A-Spec and Advanced trims get ventilated front seats too, but only the top spec gets heated rear outboard seats. Navigation is standard on the Technology Package and up, as is Acura’s 27-color ambient LED lighting. If you want the fanciest ELS Studio 3D Premium Audio System with its 16 speakers and ear-flattering dynamics, you’ll need an A-Spec or Advanced MDX, but for audiophiles it’s probably worth it.

I’m a fan of Acura’s front row seats – 12-way power adjustable with power lumbar support, unless you go for the Advanced trim in which case you can tweak the thigh extension and side bolsters too – which straddle a pleasing line between squish and support. The smaller wheel is a nice change, too, with its thicker rim and, in A-Spec form, flat bottom. Why did Acura then go and hide the front USB-C and one of the USB-A ports in a pop-up panel, knowing that people will probably leave the cables plugged in? Your guess there is as good as mine.
The 2nd row can’t be had with captain’s chairs, which is another odd decision, Acura instead pushing its removable center seat. That can flip upright to squeeze in a third person, fold down into a beefy armrest, or be pulled out altogether. It’s clever, and standard on all trims, but the resulting outboard seats aren’t as fancy as what you get on other luxe trucks. In A-Spec and Advanced trims, there’s a CabinControl app that allows for smartphone control of music, rear climate, sunshades, and – with permission – navigation settings too. They also get CabinTalk to amplify the driver’s voice as you shout at passengers for messing with the playlist.
In the 3rd row, meanwhile, Acura says legroom is up more than 2 inches, and there’s about a half-inch more headroom. I’m 5’8 and my legs had no issues – nor were my knees around my ears – but my scalp was grazing the headliner. At least with the panoramic sunroof it’s fairly airy back there, and Advance trim adds USB-A ports in the third row for charging.

As for the trunk, that’s now 16.3 cu-ft with all 3 rows up, a 1.5 cu-ft improvement over the old MDX. Drop the 3rd row and it expands to 39.1 cu-ft; drop the 2nd and it grows to 71.4 cu-ft. There’s also a clever reversible cargo floor, carpeted on one side and hard on the other, in case you need to transport wet boots, clothes, or pups. A power tailgate is standard, and on the Advance trim you can have it auto-close when you hit the button and then walk outside of a roughly 3 foot zone. Throw in the right tow package and AWD, and the MDX will handle up to 5,000 pounds.
AcuraWatch is standard across the board, with adaptive cruise control, lane-keeping assistance and departure warnings, blind spot information, rear cross-traffic monitor, and forward collision warnings with mitigation braking and advanced pedestrian detection. Traffic Jam Assist works at speeds under 45 mph. On Technology Package trims and above there’s Low Speed Braking Control, which uses the parking sensors to automatically slow the MDX if you’re about to bump into something like a shopping cart. It works at parking lot-friendly speeds of up to 6 mph.

2022 Acura MDX Verdict

Acura’s goal with the new MDX is fairly blunt: move the 3-row SUV up in the world, positioning it as the brand’s new flagship and taking on competitors from Audi, Lexus, Volvo, and similar in the process. To do it, the 2022 MDX combines the tried-and-tested V6 and SH-AWD with styling that’s finally memorable, and a decent level of standard technology and active safety.
Come the Summer, meanwhile, we’ll see what else the engineers have been working on, in the shape of the new MDX Type S. It’ll pack a 3.0-liter turbo V6, with 355 horsepower and 354 lb-ft of torque, and deliver that extra twist of sporting eagerness that has helped buoy more potent SUVs from rivals. As well as a more aggressive body kit it’ll get 21-inch wheels with Brembo brakes, along with high-end tech and comfort features like the ELS Studio 3D system inside.

Of course, Acura isn’t alone in seeing rich pickings in the luxe SUV segment. Genesis has made a splash recently, its 2021 GV80 even more dramatic in its aesthetics and more lavish inside than the new MDX. Those who really need the 3rd row will probably still lean toward the Acura – only one GV80 trim offers it, and it’s far more snug back there – but it’s a reminder all the same that this fiercely competitive category is only getting more demanding.
It leaves the 2021 MDX counting on its sporting credentials to earn its place, and there Acura’s argument is sound. It’s a play for the driver, more than the driven: a reminder that, when the brood’s not onboard, your capacious SUV need neither be wallowing nor sluggish. Some rivals may offer more luxury, but most can’t keep up with the new MDX’s refusal to accept that practical must also mean dull.
Legend2TL (02-02-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 08:00 AM
Safety Car

Arrow SavageGeese

The following 4 users liked this post by TSX69:
ELIN (02-02-2021), Gen4MDX (02-01-2021), Legend2TL (02-01-2021), Tony Pac (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 08:07 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb MilesPerHr

Gen4MDX (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 01:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,607 Likes on 967 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
Always fun to watch these guys. Honest, transparent, and no BS!
Gen4MDX (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 03:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
I like how they call out Acura marketing for the over-use of buzzwords and hype. Come on, this is a great car, no need to oversell it; I just wish for once Acura would be honest about what the product is and let the engineering speak for itself.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:22 AM
Safety Car

Cool Topher Comprison to the 2020

Old 02-02-2021, 09:57 AM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
Posted this in another thread but it applies to the SG review:

Jack claimed his mother owned 2 MDX's. If that were true, he must not have been paying attention. When Jack folds the 2nd row to get to the 3rd row, he actually folds the 2nd row flat (which you're not supposed to) and then pushes the button to move the 2nd row forward. With the 2nd row flat down, the opening to get to the 3rd row is much tighter than if he had simply pushed the 2nd row button first.

I would only fold the 2nd row flat if I needed that extra cargo space.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:53 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
[font=georgia]
Front-wheel drive is

That would be a
Tri-zone climate

Come the Summer,
Really like the all digital drivers display and overall front center stackup and displays.

SG have great honest reviews, didn't know all the competition don't have the same AWD technology system that the SHAWD to "overspeed" the rear outer wheel with slight up gearing in the diff.
The front "A" arms look more like "Y" arms.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:14 PM
Safety Car

Talking Comparos

Old 02-03-2021, 07:01 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Vids

Old 02-04-2021, 06:27 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,607 Likes on 967 Posts
thanks for sharing but these comparisons are so biased lol.
Gen4MDX (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 10:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Test drove an Advance yesterday. I only had 20 minutes with it, so I could only hit the high spots. Lots more to learn about settings and such with more time. There are a LOT of personal setting adjustments to peruse. I've owned two MDX's in the past 11 years so I have something to compare to. I'm 70 years old and not the most technologically advanced, so it might take a while. I don't drive like a geezer, but sportyness and quick times aren't very important to me. Comfort IS, however. The Advance has it in spades. Love the adjustable 16 way seats. 4 of the ways are lumbar adjustments. The bolster adjustments as far as I could determine were only for the side bolsters in the seat backs - none for the side thigh bolsters which is OK with me. I did like the thigh extension capability with short seats being the norm nowadays. The seat bottoms are wider than before which I greatly prefer and they were soft and comfy.

10 speed transmission was flawless. Glad to not have to deal with the sub-par 9 speed of the past. Really glad Acura stayed with the tried and true 3.5 liter V6. I'm familiar with this engine and trust it. I'm leery of the turbo 4 cylinder craze that has swept the industry. Putting those in heavier vehicles may have long term issues we haven't encountered yet.

Advance will be a must for me since I've had 360 cameras, ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel, ect. for my last few vehicles. Can't go back now----. Until now, Honda/Acura hasn't produced the smoothest Adaptive Cruse and Lane Centering systems. I tested both of these and the adaptive cruse is now much smoother and the lane centering didn't pingpong me back and forth in my lane. Both good in this vehicle. Voice recognition in Honda/Acura systems have bee incredibly frustrating in the past. It seemed to work very well in the new MDX. Glad to see it.

Don't like auto start/stop that's been pushed down our throats? I found three ways to overcome it. 1) The override button you have to push every time you start the vehicle. 2) It is permanantly disabled if you use the Sport Dynamic Mode. 3) Best of all - my salesman showed me that if you select Individual Dynamic Mode you can set your preferences for many peramiters - including permanantly disabling the Auto Start/Stop!!!!! Don't have to hit a button every time and don't have to deal with some features of Sport Mode that you don't want. I didn't have any time to check out the different modes, but I can already see that I would use Individual Mode with at least a bit heavier steering feeling and auto start/stop disabled.

For "Colorado Guy AF Ret.": I admire the knowedge you have developed while researching your Advance purchase. You have stated that there is no adjustable damping with this new MDX. Within the perameters that you can set in Individual Dynamic Mode is an icon showing the Amplitude Reactive Dampers. I didn't have time to look into what you can change, but my salesman thought you could change the damping within that icon. He may be thinking of past models, but something is there. When you get your vehicle could you look into that and report what you find? I think you're going to like to set your own perameters with the Individual mode!

Negatives: WAY to much piano black in the dash and leading down the console just past the shifter module. All reviewers mention it as a negative as well as many car buyers. Why go with so much piano black, Acura? Very few seem to like it. I'm not familier with the touchpad non-touchscreen infotainment system and I'd probalby get used to it, but most everyone is familier with touchscreens nowadays. May be hard to use while driving. The character line in the center of the hood on my test vehicle is misaligned by 1/8" with the matching character line extending into the front end and grill. Otherwise, quality control looks excellent.

I need a much longer test drive than the 20 minutes I had with this vehicle, but intitally I think Acura hit this new MDX design out of the park. I'll for sure put the Advance on my finalist list.
The following 6 users liked this post by scout27:
Gen4MDX (02-04-2021), honda_nut (02-04-2021), Legend2TL (02-04-2021), mrgold35 (02-04-2021), savvich (02-05-2021), TSX69 (02-04-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:28 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by scout27
Don't like auto start/stop that's been pushed down our throats? I found three ways to overcome it. 1) The override button you have to push every time you start the vehicle. 2) It is permanantly disabled if you use the Sport Dynamic Mode. 3) Best of all - my salesman showed me that if you select Individual Dynamic Mode you can set your preferences for many peramiters - including permanantly disabling the Auto Start/Stop!!!!! Don't have to hit a button every time and don't have to deal with some features of Sport Mode that you don't want. I didn't have any time to check out the different modes, but I can already see that I would use Individual Mode with at least a bit heavier steering feeling and auto start/stop disabled.

For "Colorado Guy AF Ret.": I admire the knowedge you have developed while researching your Advance purchase. You have stated that there is no adjustable damping with this new MDX. Within the perameters that you can set in Individual Dynamic Mode is an icon showing the Amplitude Reactive Dampers. I didn't have time to look into what you can change, but my salesman thought you could change the damping within that icon. He may be thinking of past models, but something is there. When you get your vehicle could you look into that and report what you find? I think you're going to like to set your own perameters with the Individual mode!
If the new MDX drive modes follows in the footsteps of how the 2019 RDX and 2021 TLX operate (which it should), prepare to be disappointed:

1) Every time you start the car, it defaults to "Normal" which has the engine Start/Stop enabled. This is probably how they get their best EPA numbers since it's always based on car default settings on start.

2) Although you can customize your settings under "Individual" and set your Engine to "Sport" disabling Start/Stop, you will always have to press the Acura logo to enable "Individual" drive mode every....single...time.

3) You can also press a button to disable engine Start/Stop, which is same amount of work as #2.

As you can see, engine Start/Stop can never be disabled permanently. This is well documented in the latest gen RDX and TLX threads.

As for the dampening modes under Individual Drive mode, changing the setting really doesn't do a whole lot since an Adaptive Damper System is not included on any 2022 MDX.
This causes one to question the premium justification for the MDX Advance Trim over all other trims. At least the 2021 TLX Advance includes the Adaptive Damper System over even the A-Spec and you can much more justify the increase in price.
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
mrgold35 (02-04-2021), scout27 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
The audio system in the Aspec I sat in today sounds really sweet. I plugged in a thumb drive with the 2003 Acura DVD-Audio ripped to FLAC and impressed the shit out of of the sales folks on the floor.. when it played the 2 channel China Grove and then the 5.1 version.. the system came alive!
ELIN (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
If the new MDX drive modes follows in the footsteps of how the 2019 RDX and 2021 TLX operate (which it should), prepare to be disappointed:

1) Every time you start the car, it defaults to "Normal" which has the engine Start/Stop enabled. This is probably how they get their best EPA numbers since it's always based on car default settings on start.

2) Although you can customize your settings under "Individual" and set your Engine to "Sport" disabling Start/Stop, you will always have to press the Acura logo to enable "Individual" drive mode every....single...time.

3) You can also press a button to disable engine Start/Stop, which is same amount of work as #2.

As you can see, engine Start/Stop can never be disabled permanently. This is well documented in the latest gen RDX and TLX threads.

As for the dampening modes under Individual Drive mode, changing the setting really doesn't do a whole lot since an Adaptive Damper System is not included on any 2022 MDX.
This causes one to question the premium justification for the MDX Advance Trim over all other trims. At least the 2021 TLX Advance includes the Adaptive Damper System over even the A-Spec and you can much more justify the increase in price.
Thanks for that info. For my short test, I didn't get to check that out. Ya, If it defaults to Normal Mode at each startup, still having to press something to get what you want each time is not what I was hoping for.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Here's an idea:

If Acura really wants to follow their competition, they should convert the MDX to a larger 2 row SUV and make the 3rd row optional like in the GLE and GV80. The truth of the matter is the luxury clientele may want a larger SUV but not need a "throwaway 3rd row" only useable by kids and pets.

Yes, in other words, I'm asking Acura to leave the premium/luxury 3-row SUV they helped create. Acura can then funnel the savings into other things like trickling more of the Advance features down to the lower trims (Tech package at minimum) to stay competitive. Something to think about for 5G?
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 03:21 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by scout27
Thanks for that info. For my short test, I didn't get to check that out. Ya, If it defaults to Normal Mode at each startup, still having to press something to get what you want each time is not what I was hoping for.
Been that way for awhile. I just make it a quick "to do" thing after starting, before releasing P. Brake.....just a very quick thing to do. Wife and I both do it. I don't like that system, and
most don't. And that is why Acura and others give you a chance to shut it off. By having it Default....it makes the Feds happier.
scout27 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 03:41 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Folks....Adaptive Dampers are NOT adjustable!! Period. They are a damper...or using "old school"...shock absorbers that are well engineered to have 2 valves within to help control the softer road "things" and a valve to help control the harsher road "things." That's it!! This particular design works so well with the MDX's all new front and rear suspension that they WORK...pretty well. So, in their "wisdom" the susp. engineers did away with what the Gen. 3 MDX Adv had..ADJUSTABLE DAMPERS ....in the Comfort mode. Just like my '19 has.

Adaptive or Amplitude ARE what is on all 2022 MDX's. Oh, yes they are. AGAIN...you cannot...cannot....make them do anything different than what they already are...fixed dampers that are well engineered with a 2 valve system for a better controlled ride....along with a great suspension. That's it. Mic drop!!!!!

ADJUSTABLE DAMPERS...those you can make your ride smoother via the Comfort Mode....as in GEN 3 MDX ADV....and all RDX's from 2019..Adv. version...in Comfort Mode.
Acura took this away from the 2022. Dealers, sales guys/gals...etc, they all don't understand the system at all.

Adaptive dampers are also called..Amplitude dampers....ONE AND THE SAME. Depends on whose doing the article, writing etc.

The "adjustments" that are made with the different Modes...are to the steering, engine mapping, transmission mapping, etc. NOT to the dampers.

Thank you one and all. Now smile....and dig in to your research.....LOOK at the Dec. 8th Document that Acura put out on what is contained on the 4 models of the 2022 MDX..minus the Type S.
Page 2 of that Doc. under: CHASSIS: Amplitude Reactive Dampers.....showing ALL 4 models with these. Again...these are also called...what??? Adaptive Dampers....same thing.

I'm trying to help....some don't believe me...that's fine. But, do your homework and stop guessing or believing dealers, sales folks....and many You Tube testers....most don't understand or
know what the hell the differences are, etc.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 02-04-2021 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:45 PM
Drifting

Those are fairly long MDX ads.

If we're being honest the new MDX's 3rd row is just as useless as nearly all others in the same segment.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 03:55 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Those are fairly long MDX ads.

If we're being honest the new MDX's 3rd row is just as useless as nearly all others in the same segment.
Mine has been folded down since new and that's where it's stayed. Got GREAT cargo room!! When there's just the 2 of you...
the 3rd row is not needed. At least for us. If I'm going with more than 2 passengers, they better have their own veh!!! LOL!!!!
Old 02-04-2021, 03:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Adaptive dampers are also called..Amplitude dampers....ONE AND THE SAME. Depends on whose doing the article, writing etc.
https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...s-and-features
"Amplitude Reactive Dampers" for the MDX

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...late-september
"Adaptive Damper System (ADS)" only for the Advance and Type S Trim of the TLX. This system DOES have an impact based on Drive Mode.

To me, Adaptive Damper System (ADS) actually has an impact on how the car rides and is "active." The "Amplitude Reactive Dampers" are, as you described, just springs and "passive" with no real tuning capable by drive mode.

If "Amplitude Reactive Dampers" and "Adaptive Damper System" are identical as you suggest, why does Acura use 2 different terminologies for the same concept?

Acura website definition:
https://www.acura.com/tlx/modals/ada...g%20conditions.

Adaptive Damper System
Exclusive to the Advance Package, the Adaptive Damper System can adjust suspension stiffness changes in a split second, to both smooth the ride and sharpen handling according to driving conditions. This allows the TLX to remain compliant and comfortable during highway cruising, yet firm when the road requires high-performance confident handling.

Using sensor data, each damper incorporates a continuously adjustable valve which raises or lowers damper fluid pressure and thus the speed at which the fluid can flow from one end of the damper tube to the other. This varying flow rate allows quick and precisely measured stiffening or softening of the damper motion.
The dampers can adjust from soft to race car-stiff in a matter of milliseconds.
Turning the IDS to Sport will bias the system toward more stiffness, while adjusting to various road and driving conditions.
The Adaptive Damper System is always on whenever the ignition is engaged.

Last edited by ELIN; 02-04-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:09 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

"Adaptive Damper System (ADS)" only for the Advance and Type S Trim of the TLX. This system DOES have an impact based on Drive Mode.

To me, Adaptive Damper System (ADS) actually has an impact on how the car rides and is "active." The "Amplitude Reactive Dampers" are, as you described, just springs and "passive" with no real tuning capable by drive mode.

If "Amplitude Reactive Dampers" and "Adaptive Damper System" are identical as you suggest, why does Acura use 2 different terminologies for the same concept?
It's all semantics. Look up the two. Google them. ACTIVE Dampers...are the ONLY ones YOU..the DRIVER can make a change to so our ride is comfy for our behinds. In the Comfort Mode.

Amplitude Reactive....means they...the dampers....are adjusting via piston pressure from the road surfaces....and thus the fluid is directed differently from within and controlled by one of the two valves.
That's it. YOU...the driver have NOTHING to do with that....Well...how about this...you do...HOW...by how many pot holes you hit!!!! LOL!!! They will....what??.....REACT on their own to try and smooth out the
ride. Actually...2 valve "shocks" ....dampers....whatever you want to call them, just know how they work....have been around for a long time. But, as tech. has improved, these style of "shocks/dampers" are much
better than the first ones.

NOW....I just picked up my new '21 Mustang GT. It has every option possible to order and I did order it. It has Magnaride suspension...or dampers.....and they cost extra....$1,695...IF you get the
Perf. Pack. which was...$6,295. No, the Mag ride system was NOT included with the PP1 Package. Corvette has them as an option. Costly.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:09 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts

Adaptive Damper System
Exclusive to the Advance Package, the Adaptive Damper System can adjust suspension stiffness changes in a split second, to both smooth the ride and sharpen handling according to driving conditions. This allows the TLX to remain compliant and comfortable during highway cruising, yet firm when the road requires high-performance confident handling.

Using sensor data, each damper incorporates a continuously adjustable valve which raises or lowers damper fluid pressure and thus the speed at which the fluid can flow from one end of the damper tube to the other. This varying flow rate allows quick and precisely measured stiffening or softening of the damper motion.
Turning the IDS to Sport will bias the system toward more stiffness, while adjusting to various road and driving conditions.
Something doesn't add up right.

According to the Acura.ca website 2022 MDX specs page, all 2022 MDX has "Adaptive Damper System" as standard feature.

And according to the Acura terminology, "the Adaptive Damper System can adjust suspension stiffness changes in a split second, to both smooth the ride and sharpen handling according to driving conditions."

Maybe Canadian only gadgets again !?

Conclusion : All Canadian 2022 MDX's have adjustable suspension as standard feature.

Last edited by Edward'TLS; 02-04-2021 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS

According to the Acura.ca website 2022 MDX specs page, all 2022 MDX has "Adaptive Damper System" as standard feature.

And according to the Acura terminology, "the Adaptive Damper System can adjust suspension stiffness changes in a split second, to both smooth the ride and sharpen handling according to driving conditions."

Conclusion : All Canadian 2022 MDX's have adjustable suspension as standard feature.
I see that but it could be a typo. I can't imagine the US/Canadian versions being THAT different.

https://www.acura.com/performance/mo...active-dampers

Amplitude Reactive Dampers
Color drawing of the dual spring section of the damper.
With two pistons per damper, the Amplitude Reactive Dampers work together for greater ride comfort. The first piston reacts to absorb minor road vibration, while the second one is stiffer, reigning in a larger suspension motion for improved stability.

The Acura website does a pretty good job differentiating b/w ADS and ARD. Not sure why there's confusion other than the Canadian specs possibly having a typo.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:33 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Adaptive Damper System

Whatever Acura is calling them and what they say is happening with them...they are not what was used on the Gen 3 MDX ADV in the Comfort Mode. No other MODE was affected by
this system. Dampers. "react" also based on the IDS which stiffens the steering, changes throttle responses, and trans. shifting quickness......those "things" make the suspension act
differently on the road and thus the dampers have to react differently...on their own based on the road input. This stuff happens in micros seconds at times. Mag ride systems which truly
changes the "dampers" in all modes is a very sophisticated system...been around awhile, but, improved as the years go by...works on tiny metal particles floating within the fluid that is
controlled my magnetism...which is "set" by the electrical signal they get from the computer which is controlled by your Drive Mode Setting. Acura does not use that system.
The mag ride system is expensive and again, truly is a suspension system that YOU the driver can control in all drive modes. Just like my Mustang has....at a cost, for sure.
And it is amazing. Esp. for a stiffly sprung sports car with a Perf. Pack. suspension set up. In Normal Mode is takes the harshness out and makes that beast ride much nicer....but,
NOT like a limo..LOL!....when cruising. Just as I was doing on the way home Tues. after picking it up...and driving 100 miles...in Normal Mode....I really liked it.

Anyway......Is Acura doing a little "something something" to the dampers to give them a little help?
Maybe...not so sure. But, Acura did take away what the Gen 3 had. Even the Engineer in charge of the Chassis stated
this...and said...."the new 2022 MDX with it's all new front and rear suspension set ups, did NOT need what the Gen 3 Adv. had. That's why ALL 4 versions of the "current MDX" have the same
Dampers. They are left to their own design to "react" to what the road gives them. When watching the video narrated by the chassis designer....he as much stated all this.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:41 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

I see that but it could be a typo. I can't imagine the US/Canadian versions being THAT different.

https://www.acura.com/performance/mo...active-dampers

Amplitude Reactive Dampers
Color drawing of the dual spring section of the damper.
With two pistons per damper, the Amplitude Reactive Dampers work together for greater ride comfort. The first piston reacts to absorb minor road vibration, while the second one is stiffer, reigning in a larger suspension motion for improved stability.

The Acura website does a pretty good job differentiating b/w ADS and ARD. Not sure why there's confusion other than the Canadian specs possibly having a typo.
That "terminology" is what the dampers do on their own. That's how sophisticated the new dampers are...these 2 valve style...based on a style developed many yrs ago.
Canada says all have Adjustable.....that is more like what our Gen 3 Adv. had. And yes, Canadian versions can be much different in some areas than U.S. market versions. The
Gov't there mandates many more guidelines on their vehicles that what our country does.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:46 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS

ADJUSTABLE is totally different than Adaptive. Look at the word....Adjustable. Your water faucet is "Adjustable"....how...YOU do it by making something happen with your hands.
Adjustable dampers....change by something YOU do..with your hands. You push a button, turn a knob, etc. YOU make them...the dampers...change. Adaptive....THEY do it on their own..and
yes, very quickly...the tech has come so far...from the early days of the 2-valve shocks...or dampers. .
Old 02-04-2021, 04:50 PM
Drifting

That "terminology" is what the dampers do on their own. That's how sophisticated the new dampers are...these 2 valve style...based on a style developed many yrs ago.
Canada says all have Adjustable.....that is more like what our Gen 3 Adv. had. And yes, Canadian versions can be much different in some areas than U.S. market versions. The
Gov't there mandates many more guidelines on their vehicles that what our country does.
Ok. So it sounds like you're saying Acura used quite a bit of marketing to justify a TLX Advance over an A-Spec when there's no difference b/w ADS and ARD?
Old 02-04-2021, 04:57 PM
Drifting

Canadian Acura is at least consistent with US by specifying the Platinum Elite (US's Advance) as the only trim with ADS. Its the same with the Canadian RDX.

Odd that the MDX is the only one that's different. Do Canadians have more bumps in the road than us?!!!
Old 02-04-2021, 05:49 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Ok. So it sounds like you're saying Acura used quite a bit of marketing to justify a TLX Advance over an A-Spec when there's no difference b/w ADS and ARD?
No major marketing needed. The Adv. has more "stuff" than the A-spec. I like the A-Spec's interior a LOT, but, buying it and we give up some "stuff" we don't want to
give up. Look at the Dec. 8th Doc. that Acura put out on what comes with each model. Quick and easy to read down the columns and compare what each gives you.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:46 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
ADJUSTABLE is totally different than Adaptive. Look at the word....Adjustable. Your water faucet is "Adjustable"....how...YOU do it by making something happen with your hands.
Adjustable dampers....change by something YOU do..with your hands. You push a button, turn a knob, etc. YOU make them...the dampers...change. Adaptive....THEY do it on their own..and
yes, very quickly...the tech has come so far...from the early days of the 2-valve shocks...or dampers. .
Let me try to put all the puzzle pieces together.

Let's stick to using technology terminology coming out from the same auto maker, namely Acura in our case, because even an identical name terminology may function differently according to other auto makers.

Acura Canada specifies that all 2022 Canadian MDX model trims (sadly only 4, excluding Type-S) have Adaptive Damper System and SH-AWD as standard equipment.

In addition, both the 2021 TLX Advance and the 2021 RDX Advance model trims also come standard with Adaptive Damper System in the US.

According to Acura, this is the official description of the Adaptive Damper System as applied on the RDX :

Originally Posted by Acura

Adaptive Damper System

Exclusive to the Advance Package, the Adaptive Damper System can adjust suspension stiffness changes in a split second, to both smooth the ride and sharpen handling according to driving conditions. This allows the RDX to remain soft and comfortable during highway cruising, yet firm when the road requires high-performance confident handling.
  • Using sensor data, each damper incorporates a continuously adjustable valve which raises or lowers damper fluid pressure and thus the speed at which the fluid can flow from one end of the damper tube to the other. This varying flow rate allows quick and precisely measured stiffening or softening of the damper motion.
  • The dampers can adjust from soft to race car-stiff in a matter of milliseconds.
  • Turning the IDS to Sport+ will bias the system toward more stiffness, though it still varies by road and driving condition.
  • The Adaptive Damper System is always on whenever the ignition is engaged.
I have bold-faced and underlined the word "adjust" in the above quote. So it is crystal clear that the Adaptive Dampers are adjustable and can be control by manually changing the IDS setting.

Here is the interesting part. For older generation Acura vehicles, the adjustable suspension was named "Active Damper System", as used in the 2G MDX, the 3G Advance MDX, and the 3G Hybrid MDX.

According to Acura, this is the official description of the Active Damper System :

Originally Posted by Acura

Active Damper System

The Active Damper System can adjust suspension stiffness changes in a split second, to both smooth the ride and sharpen handling according to driving conditions. This allows the MDX Sport Hybrid to remain soft and comfortable during highway cruising, yet firm when the road requires high-performance handling.
  • Using sensor data, each damper incorporates a continuously adjustable valve which raises or lowers damper fluid pressure and thus the speed at which the fluid can flow from one end of the damper tube to the other. This varying flow rate allows quick and precisely measured stiffening or softening of the damper motion.
  • The dampers can adjust from soft to race car-stiff in a matter of milliseconds.
  • Turning the IDS to Sport+ will bias the system toward more stiffness, though it still varies by road and driving condition.
  • The Active Damper System is always on whenever the ignition is engaged.
If one carefully compare the descriptions between the latest technology "Adaptive Damper System" and the past technology "Active Damper System", you will see that they are in fact referring to the same function, which is IDS controllable adjustable stiffness suspension.
The following 2 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
Gen4MDX (02-05-2021), Krauthawk (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 07:25 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Vids

Old 02-05-2021, 08:24 AM
Safety Car

Talking Ditto

No major marketing needed. The Adv. has more "stuff" than the A-spec. I like the A-Spec's interior a LOT, but, buying it and we give up some "stuff" we don't want to
give up.

Same boat here. Would like to get the A-Spec for the red leather & lack of wood tirm but will probably have to pass that up for the Advance since I like to have all the bells & whistles. Shame Acura does not offer both .... well, they do for the PMC I believe but I am not waiting 6 years for that.

The current lack of any electrification does make the GLE more competitive (I would be happy with the return of the mild hybrid IMA). Probably will not purchase anything until at least the summer so hopefully by then Acura will announce more details on what is to come (like massaging seats).

The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
Krauthawk (02-05-2021), moose66 (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 11:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Been that way for awhile. I just make it a quick "to do" thing after starting, before releasing P. Brake.....just a very quick thing to do. Wife and I both do it. I don't like that system, and
most don't. And that is why Acura and others give you a chance to shut it off. By having it Default....it makes the Feds happier.
While I also would have liked a permanent shutoff for auto start/stop, linking it to individual mode is a decent substitute, imho.
Unless it's a total PITA to find/change, I think it'll just become one of those automatic things you do without needing to think about it.
Kind of like the difference between auto-on headlights, and needing to turn the headlights on yourself.

In regards to the third row, most reviewers say the back row is pretty decent.
Definitely better than its two nearest (?) competitors - the RXL and GV80. (and you would think so - it's longer than them).
It's not -great- of course, but one reviewer who wasn't short arranged the seats such that he could sit in all 3 rows, and he was still okay in the back seat.
YMMV.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:27 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
In regards to the third row, most reviewers say the back row is pretty decent.
Definitely better than its two nearest (?) competitors - the RXL and GV80. (and you would think so - it's longer than them).
It's not -great- of course, but one reviewer who wasn't short arranged the seats such that he could sit in all 3 rows, and he was still okay in the back seat.
YMMV.
For that one reviewer who was "comfortable", I hope it wasn't Joe Raiti when he pulled the 2nd row center console out so that he didn't have his knees against his chest.

The only reviewer who was comfortable in that third row was Elana Scherr from the Edmunds video review (which was great). If I had to guess, she's probably no taller than 5'4".
The additional MDX length went to the rear cargo space, not the third row. I believe the third row is no better than RXL or GV80.

If you want a proper third row where adults can be comfortable, you'll need to pony up way more dollars for something like the GLS, Escalade or non-luxury favs like the Suburban or Expedition.

Last edited by ELIN; 02-05-2021 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: 2022 Acura MDX Reviews