Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 12:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Exclamation 2022 Acura MDX to Make World Debut Dec. 8

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...ld-debut-dec-8

2022 Acura MDX to Make World Debut Dec. 8

December 1, 2020 — TORRANCE, CALIF.
  • America’s all-time best-selling 3-row luxury SUV1 gets its most dramatic and far-reaching redesign in 20 years
  • Bolder inside and out, Acura’s new flagship is the most premium, performance-focused and technologically advanced SUV in Acura history
Acura will reveal the boldly redesigned 2022 Acura MDX on Dec. 8. As the brand’s new flagship model, MDX delivers on the styling, performance and technology showcased in the MDX Prototype. The debut of the 2022 MDX ushers an emotional redesign for Acura’s 4th-generation SUV, sitting atop a new light-truck platform incorporating double wishbone front suspension (an MDX first), and adored with a sumptuously appointed interior loaded with an arsenal of new features and technologies.

Viewers can tune-in to Acura.com/2022-MDX on Tuesday, Dec. 8 at 11:30 a.m. PST for a first look at the new 2022 MDX.

The fourth-generation MDX joins RDX, the best-selling model in its segment2, and the recently-launched TLX sport sedan as the latest model to be designed from the ground up around Acura’s Precision Crafted Performance brand DNA. The new MDX, featuring a 3.5-liter VTEC® V6 engine, 10-speed automatic transmission and available 4th-generation Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®), will arrive at dealers early next year. An MDX Type S, Acura’s 1st high-performance SUV variant, will follow in the summer of 2021.

The original 2001 MDX was the industry’s 1st 3-row SUV to be based on a unibody platform, with superior comfort, space and driving performance than existing truck-based SUVs. Upon its debut, MDX earned critical praise, including 2001 North American Truck of the Year and 2001 Motor Trend SUV of the Year awards. Over the past 2 decades and three generations of advancement, MDX has earned its place as America’s all-time best-selling 3-row luxury SUV, with cumulative sales exceeding 1 million units.

About Acura
Acura is a leading automotive nameplate that delivers Precision Crafted Performance – a commitment to expressive styling, high performance and innovative engineering, all built on a foundation of quality and reliability. The Acura lineup features 5 distinctive models – the ILX and TLX sport sedans, the RDX and MDX sport-utility vehicles and the next-generation, electrified NSX supercar. All Acura models sold in North America for the 2021 model year are made in the U.S., using domestic and globally sourced parts.

Additional media information including pricing, features & specifications and high-resolution photography is available at AcuraNews.com. Consumer information is available at Acura.com.
The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
Gen4MDX (12-01-2020), ostrich (12-01-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 10:07 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Ordering an Advance

After hopefully learning all I need to know about the "specs" and any "stand alone options" next Tues, my New Car Mgr is ordering mine on Dec. 14th.
Acura is sending them a red/parch Advance to kick things off, but, his first big order will be the 14th. And I'll be getting their very first white/parch Advance
around March 1st...give or take a week. That will be followed by a TLX Type S, whenever Acura has the reveal for it and the order date is known. I'll be
getting their first blue/red Type S. Since I've bought so many Acuras from my dealer, they always put me ahead of the line on their first orders. Helps to be
a loyal customer. But, they always treat my wife and I like royalty.. Pricing is where I want it....also get big discounts on Accessories, etc, etc. We love shopping
there.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
Gen4MDX (12-07-2020), Tony Pac (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 08:06 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
I think Acura MDX will be a huge hit. It's already very popular for its driving dynamics. A big SUV but drives very well. With all the upgrades in for the 2022. I am sure it will be another homerun for Acura.
The following users liked this post:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (12-05-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 10:04 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,186 Posts
I like the option of having memory seat for the front passenger. My wife is 4'11" and she likes both front seats max height depending if she is driving or passenger and I like them both at lowest setting at 6'3". No more standing outside the MDX pressing/holding the new 16-way multiple seat control buttons to adjust for me as passenger (I can't fit into the our current MDX/RLX in her seat position).

Last edited by mrgold35; 12-04-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Tony Pac (12-04-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 09:22 PM
AZ Community Team

No leaked images or info? I guess we have to wait until tomorrow 1PM est.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:41 AM
Safety Car

Exclamation Cnet

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...ury-suv-debut/

2022 Acura MDX reveal: How to watch the luxury SUV's debut

It's time for a new MDX, and it should be a real stunner.

Sean Szymkowski

Dec. 7, 2020 1:09 p.m. PT

• Tomorrow, we're in for a new Acura MDX. Tuesday, Dec. 8 is the date the Japanese luxury brand chose to reveal the luxury SUV and you can watch all the fun unfold right here with us with a livestream of the event in the video player above.

Even though we're yet to see the production car, we already have a really good idea of what to expect from the 2022 MDX. Acura showed off a prototype version of the SUVback in October that basically gave away what the production car will look like. It's hard to see the vehicle changing drastically for production. And if it does, that would be a shame, because it looks quite good. Ditto for the interior.

Last edited by TSX69; 12-08-2020 at 08:52 AM.
    Old 12-08-2020, 01:50 PM
    Safety Car

Arrow Alex on Autos

Old 12-08-2020, 03:00 PM
    Safety Car

Arrow Acura

Old 12-08-2020, 04:13 PM
    Car Crazy for Sure!

Happy?....Not so much?.....Want one?

Overall it's a winner. Disappointed that the massage seats and the 25 speaker, 1,000 watt 3D sound system is only
    going to be on the upcoming Type S!! Thought they'd be on the Advance. Fooled again!! But, overall I like what I see.

I'm in for one. Which one...I don't know yet. I thought it was going to be the Advance, but, that red interior of the A-Spec is
    WOW!! But, what do I give up by not getting the Advance?? Not enough info yet. Need build and price on the Acura site.

With arrival due on Feb. 2nd, we should be getting B&P......TODAY!!!!
    Old 12-08-2020, 05:02 PM
    2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
    Some things I've noticed are the fancy stitching is only available on the Type S, and the amount of gloss black trim on the dash is atrocious. Probably should have inverted the wood and gloss back pieces. Seems like they took the opposite approach to the TLX and made the MDX Type S fully loaded, though it would have been nice to have some those options in and Advanced for those that don't need the performance version.

Overall, it seems quite nice, but with so much going on with other manufacturers, not sure if it breaks any new ground. Will still sell in large numbers most likely.
    Old 12-08-2020, 05:10 PM
    Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
    My dealer was right about this new MDX hitting in Feb. I'm guessing they're also right about the TLX Type S hitting in Feb too. Only 2 more months!
    Old 12-08-2020, 06:33 PM
    Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 228 Posts
    Wow, just wow! Acura have a home-run here with new MDX. Too bad no new Sport Hybrid were announced. I'll be waiting for more info on that Type S.
    Old 12-08-2020, 06:43 PM
    Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
    Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
    Overall it's a winner. Disappointed that the massage seats and the 25 speaker, 1,000 watt 3D sound system is only
    going to be on the upcoming Type S!! Thought they'd be on the Advance. Fooled again!! But, overall I like what I see.

I'm in for one. Which one...I don't know yet. I thought it was going to be the Advance, but, that red interior of the A-Spec is
    WOW!! But, what do I give up by not getting the Advance?? Not enough info yet. Need build and price on the Acura site.

With arrival due on Feb. 2nd, we should be getting B&P......TODAY!!!!
    The 25 speaker audio system could also be on the advanced as maybe they just chose to highlight it with the Type S. We will soon know the packaging of the Non Type S models.
    Old 12-08-2020, 06:52 PM
    Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
    The 25 speaker audio system could also be on the advanced as maybe they just chose to highlight it with the Type S. We will soon know the packaging of the Non Type S models.
    I found the info in the Specs for the Adv. and also it's in the News and Press release. The 25 speaker is only on the Type S. Adv. gets the 16 speaker, 700 watt, 16 channel system.
    Old 12-08-2020, 06:53 PM
    Drifting

I wouldn't count on it. So far, the "menu" for the MDX appears to mimic the one for the TLX.
    Old 12-08-2020, 06:53 PM
    Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by ELIN
    My dealer was right about this new MDX hitting in Feb. I'm guessing they're also right about the TLX Type S hitting in Feb too. Only 2 more months!
    Where did you see about Type S in Feb?? Acura is saying clearly....in the Summer.
    Old 12-08-2020, 06:55 PM
    Car Crazy for Sure!

Sorry my mistake. Thought you wrote MDX Type S. My bad. Hope you are right on the TLX Type S. We need a reveal on it, and order info...SOON. I want one.
    ELIN (12-08-2020)
    Old 12-08-2020, 07:19 PM
    Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
    I wouldn't count on it. So far, the "menu" for the MDX appears to mimic the one for the TLX.
    I found the info in the Specs for the Adv. and also it's in the News and Press release. The 25 speaker is only on the Type S. Adv. gets the 16 speaker, 700 watt, 16 channel system.
    That would indicate that the Type S trim will be the most loaded which would be interesting. Will be interesting to see how many will pay for the Type S trim.
    KidK (12-11-2020)
    Old 12-08-2020, 07:24 PM
    Drifting

My main takeaways from the official release video:

1) Why is no one talking about the wireless CarPlay? Will this be the first one from a luxury/premium Japanese maker?

2) First double wish-bone suspension on MDX coupled with latest SH-AWD. No need to buy a current model (get this one!).

3) They managed to hide the radar much better than on the new TLX. I have no clue where they put that in the front.

4) Exterior looks like a logical expansion of the current RDX look. Reminds me quite a bit of the Mazda SUV's.
    Old 12-08-2020, 07:52 PM
    Car Crazy for Sure!

It will be on the Type S and it will be called: the "Signature Edition" ELS STUDIO 3D premium audio system. MORE than 1,000 watts, 22 discrete channels,
    and 25 speakers. More details released closer to it's on sale date of LATE in the summer.

Not available on any other model. Damn it. That Type S will get also....that fancy seat stitching that they teased us with, the massaging front seats too.
    The tires will be 275 series on 21" rims. And using 4 piston Brembos...like the TLX Type S.
    Old 12-08-2020, 07:56 PM
    Car Crazy for Sure!

Shutter type lower grille...!!

Did anyone see this. Looks like all MDX's will get, "Active Shutter Grille." In certain conditions the shutter will be closed to
    divert air around the vehicle, thereby reducing aerodynamic drag. When the demand for cooling air increases the shutters
    reopen. Wow...never saw that one coming. Seen it in a couple of other vehicles.
    Old 12-08-2020, 07:58 PM
    Car Crazy for Sure!

That would indicate that the Type S trim will be the most loaded which would be interesting. Will be interesting to see how many will pay for the Type S trim.
    Well, most loaded, don't know yet. It is coming with "stuff" that's not available on the Advance....but, will it come with ALL of the Advances goodies?? Hmmm...time will tell.

And, yes, what the heck will be the MSRP for the Type S??? Wow...the Advance with Del. Cost. MSRP is $61,675. IF the Type S has EVERYTHING the Advance
    has PLUS it's own special goodies....then, wow, where can that MSRP be? Closer to $70K. Prob. between....$65K and $68K...probably?? I can't see it hitting
    $70K....just NOT Acura like.....LOL!!!

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 12-08-2020 at 08:03 PM.
    Midwestuser1 (12-08-2020)
    Old 12-08-2020, 08:40 PM
    Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
    Did anyone see this. Looks like all MDX's will get, "Active Shutter Grille." In certain conditions the shutter will be closed to
    divert air around the vehicle, thereby reducing aerodynamic drag. When the demand for cooling air increases the shutters
    reopen. Wow...never saw that one coming. Seen it in a couple of other vehicles.
    The Odyssey and CRV have already had it for a few years. Toyota has had them on hybrid and eco models for years now. Not exactly new tech.
    honda_nut (12-09-2020)
    Old 12-08-2020, 09:18 PM
    AZ Community Team

Well done Acura. Honestly Acura nailed it. Hope it meets everyone’s expectations in Feb.

It’s time for the new “ILX”.
    KidK (12-11-2020)
    Old 12-08-2020, 09:30 PM
    Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
    With the MDX Advance starting at $60,650 and the MDX A-Spec starting at $57,100 I find it hard to believe the A-Spec will be the most equipped. Also, the ELS Studio 3D premium audio is listed for both A-spec and Avance. Where do you all see it is only available on A-Spec?
    Old 12-08-2020, 10:21 PM
    Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by fiatlux
    The Odyssey and CRV have already had it for a few years. Toyota has had them on hybrid and eco models for years now. Not exactly new tech.
    I get that. I was just not expecting to see it on the new MDX...that's all. I know it exists on a few others. I said that.
    Old 12-08-2020, 10:35 PM
    Safety Car

I get that. I was just not expecting to see it on the new MDX...that's all. I know it exists on a few others. I said that.
    Ok I'll bite; why weren't you expecting it to be on the new MDX? They're on cars ranging from Fords and Hondas to BMWs and Mercedes. What makes it surprising for the MDX to have it?
    Old 12-08-2020, 11:11 PM
    Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
    Thought is was S-Spec not A-Spec (mentioned above)
    Old 12-09-2020, 07:07 AM
    mrgold35

Sounds like us hybrid owners might have to wait until the MMC in a few years to see if Acura drops that model. Hopefully, the tech from the Type-S like 1000 watt 3D ELS and messaging seats might make it down to the Adv models by MMC time. Does that mean the passenger memory seats will be only for the Type-S also?
    Old 12-09-2020, 07:53 AM
    Drifting

Originally Posted by Acura_Girl_Forever
    With the MDX Advance starting at $60,650 and the MDX A-Spec starting at $57,100 I find it hard to believe the A-Spec will be the most equipped. Also, the ELS Studio 3D premium audio is listed for both A-spec and Avance. Where do you all see it is only available on A-Spec?
    I think you mean Type S is most well-equipped.

So far, the MDX version of A-Spec and Advance tracks nicely with the similar TLX offering. 3D ELS starting from A-Spec and above and plain ELS for Tech package.
    Old 12-09-2020, 07:55 AM
    Drifting

Originally Posted by mrgold35
    Sounds like us hybrid owners might have to wait until the MMC in a few years to see if Acura drops that model. Hopefully, the tech from the Type-S like 1000 watt 3D ELS and messaging seats might make it down to the Adv models by MMC time. Does that mean the passenger memory seats will be only for the Type-S also?
    I really doubt that's going to happen. Why would they do that to cannibalize Type S sales?

Also, to change from a 700 watt system to 1000 watt system (along with more speakers) is not cheap. Are you thinking of PMC instead of MMC?
    Old 12-09-2020, 08:10 AM
    Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
    . . . . . . . . . .Why would they do that to cannibalize Type S sales?
    Because there is a market for hybrid/electric vehicles and that is the future. They can't be totally void of this type of vehicle in their lineup.
    Old 12-09-2020, 08:13 AM
    Drifting

Originally Posted by moose66
    Because there is a market for hybrid/electric vehicles and that is the future. They can't be totally void of this type of vehicle in their lineup.
    While I agree with you, dropping the SH on upcoming models sounds like they've given up or going back to the drawing board.
    Old 12-09-2020, 09:04 AM
    Safety Car

They shouldn’t be devoid of electrified powertrains, and yet here we are...

Honda doesn’t even have a plug-in hybrid for the US outside of the Clarity, which for all intents and purposes exists strictly as a compliance vehicle. Even teeny tiny Subaru has a PHEV these days. Methinks they’re gunshy about electrification given the lackluster response past offerings (CRZ, Insight, Clarity, Accord Hybrid, etc) saw.
    ELIN (12-09-2020)
    Old 12-09-2020, 09:10 AM
    Drifting

Honda doesn’t even have a plug-in hybrid for the US outside of the Clarity, which for all intents and purposes exists strictly as a compliance vehicle. Even teeny tiny Subaru has a PHEV these days. Methinks they’re gunshy about electrification given the lackluster response past offerings (CRZ, Insight, Clarity, Accord Hybrid, etc) saw.
    Something tells me they should have found a hybrid partner or didn't partner with the right one. Honda played musical chairs and the music stopped with no chair in sight!
    Old 12-09-2020, 09:14 AM
    Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts

I hear you. I mean, hell, Ford is putting a hybrid in the F-150! Acura will not be totally out of the game. They still have the NSX. So maybe there is some hope. Maybe they are taking a pause to refine things. Work out the all new kinks with the 21' MDX. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Don't get me wrong, I like what I see from what is being offered at the top of the new MDX line up. And by no means am I a tree-hugger who has to have a hybrid. Just hopeful they don't abandon a good thing. Even if being replaced with other good things.
    Old 12-09-2020, 10:02 AM
    Drifting

I hear you. I mean, hell, Ford is putting a hybrid in the F-150! Acura will not be totally out of the game. They still have the NSX. So maybe there is some hope. Maybe they are taking a pause to refine things. Work out the all new kinks with the 21' MDX. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Don't get me wrong, I like what I see from what is being offered at the top of the new MDX line up. And by no means am I a tree-hugger who has to have a hybrid. Just hopeful they don't abandon a good thing. Even if being replaced with other good things.
    At one point, I was comparing the Camry hybrid against the Accord hybrid and the fuel economy wasn't even close.

It makes sense to go back to the drawing board.
    Old 12-09-2020, 10:13 AM
    mrgold35

I really doubt that's going to happen. Why would they do that to cannibalize Type S sales?

Also, to change from a 700 watt system to 1000 watt system (along with more speakers) is not cheap. Are you thinking of PMC instead of MMC?
    I thinking Mid/Minor/Major Model Change that usually happens for Acura moving up from the 2nd or 3rd model year (in about 2024 for the 4th Gen MDX). This would be the most likely time for Acura to bring back the hybrid along with any tech, luxury, powertrain, appearance updates for all MDXs until the 5th Gen MDX is ready. The 2017 MDX hybrid was a nice addition along with the A-Spec and PMC versions. Acura might surprise us. China has a hybrid version of the HR-V based CDX. We might have to check the Chinese Acura sites for the next few years to see if they make a 4th Gen MDX hybrid for their market?
    Old 12-09-2020, 03:49 PM
    Car Crazy for Sure!

Ok I'll bite; why weren't you expecting it to be on the new MDX? They're on cars ranging from Fords and Hondas to BMWs and Mercedes. What makes it surprising for the MDX to have it?
    You'll bite?? You are trying to show, I guess, your "expert knowledge on shutter grilles" and question..."Why" would I make such a statement. VERY SIMPLE. I simply said...
    I was surprised to see them on the MDX. It IS the first time. Does it mean I didn't KNOW about them?? No it doesn't. As a matter of fact...the concept was developed and used
    in the engine and vehicle world....before you were born. So, stop trying to make something simple into a platform for you to espouse your "supposed expertise in shutters."

Simple was...as simple is: I was just not looking for it and didn't see it coming. Period. End of a simple statement. I'm done with this topic. Now you can find another one where
    you try and impress us all with your "deep knowledge" of all things automotive. We can't wait. Have a great Acura day!!
    Old 12-09-2020, 05:13 PM
    Safety Car

You'll bite?? You are trying to show, I guess, your "expert knowledge on shutter grilles" and question..."Why" would I make such a statement. VERY SIMPLE. I simply said...
    I was surprised to see them on the MDX. It IS the first time. Does it mean I didn't KNOW about them?? No it doesn't. As a matter of fact...the concept was developed and used
    in the engine and vehicle world....before you were born. So, stop trying to make something simple into a platform for you to espouse your "supposed expertise in shutters."

Simple was...as simple is: I was just not looking for it and didn't see it coming. Period. End of a simple statement. I'm done with this topic. Now you can find another one where
    you try and impress us all with your "deep knowledge" of all things automotive. We can't wait. Have a great Acura day!!
    LOL touched a nerve? Someone's grumpy today .

If you're surprised about that because it's the first time the MDX has had them, you must be absolutely shell-shocked that it's getting stuff like a full digital dash, 10 speed transmission, removable 2nd row seat, and all the other firsts for the MDX. Hopefully all these surprises doesn't result in heart palpitations .

Last edited by fiatlux; 12-09-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 2022 Acura MDX to Make World Debut Dec. 8