2022 Acura MDX to Make World Debut Dec. 8

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 06:04 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
LOL touched a nerve? Someone's grumpy today .

If you're surprised about that because it's the first time the MDX has had them, you must be absolutely shell-shocked that it's getting stuff like a full digital dash, 10 speed transmission, removable 2nd row seat, and all the other firsts for the MDX. Hopefully all these surprises doesn't result in heart palpitations .
LOL...32 yrs old and you love to be a "bad boy" on these sites huh?? So funny! I've got socks older than you!! Again...in case this isn't sinking in...you tried to make something out of
a person's simple statement....and NOW you are being ridiculous with your latest post. I'm laughing AT YOU 'cause I recognize the source.

NO palpitations whatsoever. Why should there be??? "cause of your disrespectful rants on here that mean nothing?? LOL...again. IF I had been surprised about all the NEW items
you listed...I would have said so...get it?? I've owned more cars than your age....get that??? Shell shocked?? LOL.....Over 60 vehicles....over 40 new. I've learned a little, and MAYBE so
will you as you get some age and real honest experience.

So, stop trying to be the pain that you are trying to be...yes, I have a deg. in psychology as a minor, along with a BS in Education. And a Masters in Business.
So, study up on the history of shutters used on different engine systems going back before you were born. Started out mechanically adjusted and now, of course sensory
and electronically controlled. Or maybe it's mice in a wheel??? LOL. Now find another worthwhile issue that truly means something....IF you have what it takes.
You certainly don't deserve any more of my time. Your smarts aren't up to my level by a long shot. There...I bet that gives YOU some palpitations! LOL....breath in to a paper bag!
That was one of the first methods suggested in psych class instead of medications!! LOL!!
The following users liked this post:
Gen4MDX (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 06:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
LOL...32 yrs old and you love to be a "bad boy" on these sites huh?? So funny! I've got socks older than you!! Again...in case this isn't sinking in...you tried to make something out of
a person's simple statement....and NOW you are being ridiculous with your latest post. I'm laughing AT YOU 'cause I recognize the source.

NO palpitations whatsoever. Why should there be??? "cause of your disrespectful rants on here that mean nothing?? LOL...again. IF I had been surprised about all the NEW items
you listed...I would have said so...get it?? I've owned more cars than your age....get that??? Shell shocked?? LOL.....Over 60 vehicles....over 40 new. I've learned a little, and MAYBE so
will you as you get some age and real honest experience.

So, stop trying to be the pain that you are trying to be...yes, I have a deg. in psychology as a minor, along with a BS in Education. And a Masters in Business.
So, study up on the history of shutters used on different engine systems going back before you were born. Started out mechanically adjusted and now, of course sensory
and electronically controlled. Or maybe it's mice in a wheel??? LOL. Now find another worthwhile issue that truly means something....IF you have what it takes.
You certainly don't deserve any more of my time. Your smarts aren't up to my level by a long shot. There...I bet that gives YOU some palpitations! LOL....breath in to a paper bag!
That was one of the first methods suggested in psych class instead of medications!! LOL!!
Must be some pretty smelly socks then .
Old 12-09-2020, 08:37 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Must be some pretty smelly socks then .
Yes, they are...but, you know...some are favs!!! Santa on them...naked girls on some, cars on some. LOL!
Old 12-09-2020, 09:00 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Wink Interesting tech that I learned more about

In case anyone is interested, and I was really intrigued by these new wheels with..."In wheel resonators." OK...so what are they really??
Honda Motor Corp started developing this technology a few yrs ago. Been perfecting it and put it in their Accords. Now it's in the new MDX.

What is it exactly?: I'll try and make this short...some tech nerds may know about this, some may want to learn, and some of you will throw darts
at me. LOL....But, to me it's interesting and new to the MDX. AND it benefits us all by reducing road going noise levels. Hmmm..but how???

When rolling wheels/tires go down the road and encounter dips, holes etc, a "pipe resonance" is created inside the wheel/tire cavity that transmits all the way through the suspension, body,
and then in to the cabin. The frequency produced can be enough to really bother us, unless, I guess you are already blasting your ears with the ELS system! LOL!
Honda engineers came up with a way to mostly eliminate that resonance by using a known scientific approach...noise cancellation...by the Helmholtz method.

Honda made lightweight resin strips with holes in them and attached them to the inside center section of the wheels. The air moving across the holes creates their own
resonance that cancels out the "pipe resonance" that is always there with wheels/tires going down the road. NOT 100%...but, the majority of the bothersome noise.
Wow...man isn't this the bomb?? LOL! But, pretty damn smart, if you ask me? The resonance created by the Helmholtz method is like "blowing across the opening of
an empty bottle." That resonance theory is what mostly cancels out the "pipe resonance" that is going on inside our wheels and tire cavity. Yes, there is air moving across
those resin resonators attached to the inside of the wheel.

Now boys and girls...there will be a test later in the week. LOL!! OK...just having fun. But, I learned a cool tech thingy today and so...that is what Acura did to our wheels to make road going noise less....and our driving/riding experience more comfortable. Honda has measured the success of this technology in the Accords.

So...you "anti Acura...going over to xxxx car maker....take that!! LOL!! Damn this is all fun. I know...I'm retired....so it's my job!!!

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 12-09-2020 at 09:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 04:29 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
^ This was available in the '11-13 RL, and was also patented by Hyundai...so nothing new or specific to Honda/Acura

https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases...ra-rl-overview

"The RL also makes use of new 18x8-inch 15-spoke cast aluminum wheels that incorporate an all-new noise reduction technology. The 2011 RL is the first automobile to make use of resonator technology applied to the wheels that significantly lowers the middle frequency noise which provides for an even quieter cabin."
Old 12-10-2020, 06:22 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,193 Posts
This is what it looks like for my 18 RLX Hybrid (I did aftermarket rims). I didn't notice a huge difference in before/after road noise levels; but, the RLX already had an extremely low cabin noise level of any Acura/Honda I've ever owned. Road and cabin noise seems to be the Achilles heel for every make and model.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:37 AM
Drifting

Received 1,263 Likes on 918 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
In case anyone is interested, and I was really intrigued by these new wheels with..."In wheel resonators." OK...so what are they really??
Honda Motor Corp started developing this technology a few yrs ago. Been perfecting it and put it in their Accords. Now it's in the new MDX.

What is it exactly?: I'll try and make this short...some tech nerds may know about this, some may want to learn, and some of you will throw darts
at me. LOL....But, to me it's interesting and new to the MDX. AND it benefits us all by reducing road going noise levels. Hmmm..but how???

When rolling wheels/tires go down the road and encounter dips, holes etc, a "pipe resonance" is created inside the wheel/tire cavity that transmits all the way through the suspension, body,
and then in to the cabin. The frequency produced can be enough to really bother us, unless, I guess you are already blasting your ears with the ELS system! LOL!
Honda engineers came up with a way to mostly eliminate that resonance by using a known scientific approach...noise cancellation...by the Helmholtz method.

Honda made lightweight resin strips with holes in them and attached them to the inside center section of the wheels. The air moving across the holes creates their own
resonance that cancels out the "pipe resonance" that is always there with wheels/tires going down the road. NOT 100%...but, the majority of the bothersome noise.
Wow...man isn't this the bomb?? LOL! But, pretty damn smart, if you ask me? The resonance created by the Helmholtz method is like "blowing across the opening of
an empty bottle." That resonance theory is what mostly cancels out the "pipe resonance" that is going on inside our wheels and tire cavity. Yes, there is air moving across
those resin resonators attached to the inside of the wheel.

Now boys and girls...there will be a test later in the week. LOL!! OK...just having fun. But, I learned a cool tech thingy today and so...that is what Acura did to our wheels to make road going noise less....and our driving/riding experience more comfortable. Honda has measured the success of this technology in the Accords.

So...you "anti Acura...going over to xxxx car maker....take that!! LOL!! Damn this is all fun. I know...I'm retired....so it's my job!!!
While this does sound impressive, it is definitely more gimmick than anything else. The only way to properly address resonance would have to be a controller that monitors the revolutions of the wheels/tires in addition to the type of surface being driven on. Attenuation would then have to be done after the fact on a predictive basis, which could be quite costly. A very low-tech solution is how the volume of your radio increases with increasing speed but that's really just obscuring the problem and not solving it. The tech to do this properly may not be economically justifiable for the dB reduction in the cabin.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Any idea when the website will allows us to build and price?
Old 12-10-2020, 01:13 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by mrgold35
This is what it looks like for my 18 RLX Hybrid (I did aftermarket rims). I didn't notice a huge difference in before/after road noise levels; but, the RLX already had an extremely low cabin noise level of any Acura/Honda I've ever owned. Road and cabin noise seems to be the Achilles heel for every make and model.

Yes, and they make a 2nd generation that have 2 rows of holes and thus eliminates the need for the "extra resin strips." No, Honda maybe wasn't the first..don't know who was....but, the fact
they did it and appears it's working well, esp. with the Gen 2 version, on the Accords. Doesn't have to be fancy to work.
Thanks for the pic. I had a great pic and had trouble getting it posted. LOL!
Old 12-10-2020, 01:19 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by tsturbo
Any idea when the website will allows us to build and price?
That's what I'm struggling with each day that goes by. I do think it's because there are so many '20 MDX's on the lots...since Acura sent dealers extras due to the
2 mo. delay of the new 2022 model. NOW my dealer has....102 MDX's!!! Damn...they better have a "fire sale" to get them off the lots...with the 2022 coming 1st week
of Feb. Acura just might have to do some great incentive offers to help the dealers move them. So, folks that maybe couldn't quite afford an MDX....just might be able
to now...and get a great deal on a damn good SUV.

But, with that said....the new MDX is not far off from arriving and we all need to know what we are wanting exactly. I still think there may be an error or two on the Spec. Sheet.
I've been bugging my Acura Inv. Mgr. for his Order Guide..if and when he gets it...soon???
Old 12-10-2020, 01:32 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by ELIN
While this does sound impressive, it is definitely more gimmick than anything else. The only way to properly address resonance would have to be a controller that monitors the revolutions of the wheels/tires in addition to the type of surface being driven on. Attenuation would then have to be done after the fact on a predictive basis, which could be quite costly. A very low-tech solution is how the volume of your radio increases with increasing speed but that's really just obscuring the problem and not solving it. The tech to do this properly may not be economically justifiable for the dB reduction in the cabin.
Not so sure it's "gimmicky" when it appears to be working. There are readouts/graphs on resonance without and with them installed. You can see how they work...where they are in the rotation
of the wheel and just when they are "doing their job".....so, they don't have to be intricate, complex, etc....just work. And they appear to do just that. Again...not 100% cancellation, but, over 75%.
Hey, anything helps. And those were done....the testing graphs, etc...by an independent lab...not Honda. I'm sure Honda has theirs too.