XLR8 ISC Coilover Customers - Post up some pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:37 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by twigglius
Highly unlikely. You don't even jock me on Instagram. lol
Fixed. Took me a while to find you lol
Old 01-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
^^^ Ahahahahahaha
Old 01-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
@elkev you might be on to something. The noise does sound like it's coming from the top of the frame. Also the noise is more of a chatter than a clunking. I will have more info after this weekend. Swoosh and I are taking the fronts apart and installing new shafts. Will report back Sunday or Monday.
Twigglius, any luck. I revised my coilovers and everything its on point. I even check all my bushing and everything its fine. I'm at the point to switch over to Tein.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:55 PM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by Butter type-s
Twigglius, any luck. I revised my coilovers and everything its on point. I even check all my bushing and everything its fine. I'm at the point to switch over to Tein.
I will report back on Sunday. Anil and I are doing some work on my car this weekend, including the coils.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:21 PM
Moved to the LOU

UPDATE...

Thanks to Anil (SWOOSH) and his major help we were able to complete a few things on my car this weekend. One of them being the front chatter coming from the front suspension. We did a couple of things so I cannot say for sure which cleared up the chattering from the suspension.

First of all we took the entire suspension apart because we installed new shaft/shock bodies. Before hand I also purchased new Bolts and nuts that hold the front lower arm in place. Here is the part description and numbers.
  • 90121-SM4-010 BOLT, SHOCK ABSORBER FORK (12X98)
  • 90215-SB0-003 NUT, SELF-LOCK (12MM) (CLINCH)(SATO RASHI)

Now that everything is put back together I have no more chatter coming from the front end at all. Maybe it's the new shafts? Maybe it's the new nuts and bolts... I don't know but something made a difference. The preload is set at 174.4 to be exact. We measured with digital calipers. Anil also sprayed the shit out of the threaded shock body with lithium grease to help revent future lockup.

keep in mind if you decide to take apart and rebuild. The process is pretty easy with one caveat. My fronts were maxed out for how low they could go. This caused the shock body and the the sleeve to lock up and seize together. Swoosh had to drive us to a DIY garage to get these apart. We sprayed them with WD-40 and let them sit for about an hour before we went. When we got there we had to put the shock body in a large vice and use a huge pipe wrench to break them loose. Other than that it went very smooth.

Thanks for everyone's help, feedback, patience and everything in between.

Extra thanks to Swoosh for taking the lead on this tear-down and rebuild. I have learned a lot the past 2 times we have worked on my car.
The following users liked this post:
swoosh (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 09:27 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
aww

Thanks Chris...

I dont think the bolt made a difference....

The main difference was the shorter shaft....the shaft was almost 1.5-1.7 inches shorter on the threaded body side (for more lowering) and was about an inch shorter on the strut side...

This way the spring preloaded very very well...

I am awaiting shipment of the shorter shafts as well...so far ISC has been amazing to work with....
Old 01-29-2014, 09:28 PM
Advanced

UPDATE...

Thanks to Anil (SWOOSH) and his major help we were able to complete a few things on my car this weekend. One of them being the front chatter coming from the front suspension. We did a couple of things so I cannot say for sure which cleared up the chattering from the suspension.

First of all we took the entire suspension apart because we installed new shaft/shock bodies. Before hand I also purchased new Bolts and nuts that hold the front lower arm in place. Here is the part description and numbers.
  • 90121-SM4-010 BOLT, SHOCK ABSORBER FORK (12X98)
  • 90215-SB0-003 NUT, SELF-LOCK (12MM) (CLINCH)(SATO RASHI)

Now that everything is put back together I have no more chatter coming from the front end at all. Maybe it's the new shafts? Maybe it's the new nuts and bolts... I don't know but something made a difference. The preload is set at 174.4 to be exact. We measured with digital calipers. Anil also sprayed the shit out of the threaded shock body with lithium grease to help revent future lockup.

keep in mind if you decide to take apart and rebuild. The process is pretty easy with one caveat. My fronts were maxed out for how low they could go. This caused the shock body and the the sleeve to lock up and seize together. Swoosh had to drive us to a DIY garage to get these apart. We sprayed them with WD-40 and let them sit for about an hour before we went. When we got there we had to put the shock body in a large vice and use a huge pipe wrench to break them loose. Other than that it went very smooth.

Thanks for everyone's help, feedback, patience and everything in between.

Extra thanks to Swoosh for taking the lead on this tear-down and rebuild. I have learned a lot the past 2 times we have worked on my car.
Thanks for the update, I will jack the car up this weekend and take the whole front suspension out. I will change that bolt and nut too and hope the sound goes away. It have been really cold in nj and this weekend will be in the 40's. Were you having a lot of vibration in the front? That you change shaft or was it making noise when turning. I'm considering changing the shafts, since I'm getting a lot of vibration in the front. But I read that some of the vibration goes away for a period of time, but then it come back because of the position the shafts are when the car it's dropped.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Moved to the LOU

I didn't have any vibrations. I changed the bolt just because. Thought, who knows, maybe it will help. I also did not have any noise when turning.

The vibration can be caused by the axle of the car when it's really low.

I'm sure you have but when you take it apart just double check your preload and also the top nut.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:41 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
After all you've been through with the coilovers would you recommend them? or would you recommend going with another brand? I'm currently in the market for coilovers and these were one of my top choices but after seeing this thread it made me want to go with another brand, I'm not new to installing and adjusting suspension components and I have all the proper lubes and tools for the job but I definitely don't want to deal with odd noises while driving
Old 01-30-2014, 10:15 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X2 on that.

Looking into some suspension soon. I don't want to deal with weird noises and trying to guess what is making noise on my car.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:05 PM

This is what I would recommend to you guys...

ISC N1 has the most adjustability that most coilovers in the market (preload, dampening, height, spring rate as well and comes with top hats)....

Tein has been around supporting the TL and I bet their first attempt was not all aces...this is ISC's first attempt to cater this market....ISC got the top hats wrong and they rectified it....the front struts were making noise for new members and they are working with us to rectify it....this says a lott about the product AND the customer service...

I would recommend ISC. I think its a fantastic product at a great price....The customer service provided by ISC is second to none....they are prompt with emails, they work on fixes and are very friendly at the same time....

UPS just dropped off the shorter front shafts which ISC wants me (and Chris) to test out before they make it a permanent solution for the TL...Not sure if many other vendors provide this level of support....
Old 01-30-2014, 01:32 PM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by swoosh
This is what I would recommend to you guys...

ISC N1 has the most adjustability that most coilovers in the market (preload, dampening, height, spring rate as well and comes with top hats)....

Tein has been around supporting the TL and I bet their first attempt was not all aces...this is ISC's first attempt to cater this market....ISC got the top hats wrong and they rectified it....the front struts were making noise for new members and they are working with us to rectify it....this says a lott about the product AND the customer service...

I would recommend ISC. I think its a fantastic product at a great price....The customer service provided by ISC is second to none....they are prompt with emails, they work on fixes and are very friendly at the same time....

UPS just dropped off the shorter front shafts which ISC wants me (and Chris) to test out before they make it a permanent solution for the TL...Not sure if many other vendors provide this level of support....
Agree and for those of you that have had coils on other cars, you know it's not perfect. I had a set of Tein SS's before my ISC's and they lasted me 98,000 miles with no issues... Other than a minor squeak I had from day one.

The Teins were a bit softer, but at the same time didn't stick to thew road as well. With the ISC's you "feel" the road more, which to me is a good thing. Currently my fronts are set at 174.4 for preload and 24 on the dampening, with 32 being the stiffest setting possible.

The shorter shafts have made a big difference. Glad you finally got your's, Anil. I am sure you will have them on the car before the sun goes down. LOL!

If you want more comfot then you should probably go with the Tein's. If you want more adjust-ability and a superior driving experience, go with the ISC's. The ISC's handle the road better and they surely handle high-speed turns much better. And when I say high-speed turns I mean freeway entrances and overpasses. Some of those really long gradual 70mph turns.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:00 PM

being a working day, I think I will have to wait until the weekend LOL
Old 01-30-2014, 02:52 PM
Advanced

I want to clarify to all the people considering the ISC coilover. I like everything about the coils other than the damn noise I have been experiencing in slow bumps. I recently took the Tl to Baltimore and Atlantic City, it felt good smooth on the highways. The corning speed its supper and feel of the road.

As Anil mention their customer service seems to be on point. I got of the phone with them, about 30 minutes ago and it seems obvious they know there's an issue with the Tl. They seem eager to fix the issue which its a good attribute from a company. I just hope others were as them and that give you that political bs email some vendor (company) give you as soon you say you have an issue.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Still no issues on mine yet after about a month. I'll keep paying close attention for anything I hear.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:54 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
No pics from Chris and Anil's rebuild process? :sadface:
Old 01-30-2014, 03:55 PM

twiggy gotta post them up....
Old 01-30-2014, 03:56 PM

I didnt take any pix since my hands were too dirty from doing ALL THE WORK
Old 01-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Moved to the LOU

I'll post what I have later today.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Moved to the LOU

I didnt take any pix since my hands were too dirty from doing ALL THE WORK
You hippie! We both had work gloves on since it was 38 degrees.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:10 PM

lets post pix of the gloves to see who got their hands dirtier

am fuqqing with u bud....most people whose car I work on, they just sit around....you were actively helping...I liked that
twigglius (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Moved to the LOU

Here is Anil's dirty hand with his Lithium Anal grease he used for maximum lubrication.

New shaft Vs. Old shaft. New shaftr body is 1.5" shorter and the piston is 1" shorter.

Picture of the springs. There is a rust mark and it appears that the top two coils were somehow touching at times.

The rest of the pictures are from Frozen Friday's and the install Anil did of my P&P runners. Not including in this thread since it would be off topic.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Thanks guys for the feedback and help.

I also want to point out that we've installed a number of these coilovers in person and have yet to have any suspension noise. We've also sold hundreds of these and have had only a handful of issues with suspension noise. I'm only saying this so people understand that this isn't an issue across the board.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:34 PM
Advanced

Talking

Here is Anil's dirty hand with his Lithium Anal grease he used for maximum lubrication.

New shaft Vs. Old shaft. New shaftr body is 1.5" shorter and the piston is 1" shorter.

Picture of the springs. There is a rust mark and it appears that the top two coils were somehow touching at times.

The rest of the pictures are from Frozen Friday's and the install Anil did of my P&P runners. Not including in this thread since it would be off topic.
Big difference, I hope I hear back soon from ISC. I see you guys found a replacement for Vaseline
Old 01-30-2014, 06:36 PM

Big difference, I hope I hear back soon from ISC. I see you guys found a replacement for Vaseline
Vaseline...aint nobody got time fo' that !!!

Spray and GO baby !!!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:21 PM
Advanced

Talking

Old 01-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Instructor

so say I ordered a set today would I be getting the shorter version or should I just wait/go with a different brand?
Old 01-30-2014, 07:27 PM

deja vu
twigglius (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Moved to the LOU

It's not ground hogs day just yet.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:58 AM
Instructor

I'll take that as a go with a different brand, thanks for the info guys! Gonna end up going with BC Racing
Old 02-01-2014, 11:35 AM

^^^ umm did you read the reviews above?

am not sure how ISC and XLR8 want to handle this situation but since the shorter shafts fit and fit very well, I am sure they will be making it a permanent solution...

with the shorter shafts, you can lower a lot more without messing with the preload...
Old 02-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Of course i read them that's why I'm going with a different brand, this problem is just something i would rather avoid, as I'm sure anyone looking to buy quality suspension is wanting to avoid
Old 02-01-2014, 12:22 PM

ISC is a quality brand...the make and design is awesome....they could have made a height + dampening adjustable coilover and sold without top hats for the same price and still made a lot of coin....

I just feel shorter shafts is something which should have been initially tested....better sooner than later....

and am done here...seems like you have made up your mind...but saying a "coilover has issues" without knowing what it is is just BS to me....

I have no issues with the longer shafts, XLR8 mentioned they have no issues with the longer shafts....its just a few members that have had this issue....could be many many things that could have caused it....
twigglius (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying anything negative about the company or their product. It's great that they're working with the community to get the problem fixed, I've been around cars long enough to know that its rare to find that in a company. This is my first TL and all I have to go off of is reviews, I've been reading non stop trying to make the right choice as to avoid headaches in the future, plus I don't want to spend a thousand bucks just to end up with a product that I personally wouldn't be happy with.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:20 PM
Advanced

Swoosh, how's your suspension running now. I placed a claim with ISC about a month ago and I feel like I'm getting the run around. Every since time i call, they tell me that if my replacement parts were not shipped they would ship the next day. How can this be great customer service? They don't even know what claims order has shipped. It doesn't take 1 month for shipment from New Hampshire to New Jersey.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:33 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Swoosh, how's your suspension running now. I placed a claim with ISC about a month ago and I feel like I'm getting the run around. Every since time i call, they tell me that if my replacement parts were not shipped they would ship the next day. How can this be great customer service? They don't even know what claims order has shipped. It doesn't take 1 month for shipment from New Hampshire to New Jersey.
Did you contact XLR8 or ISC?
Old 03-31-2014, 08:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sunny201
Did you contact XLR8 or ISC?
I went directly to ISC.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:10 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
I went directly to ISC.
If you bought them from him try to talk to him.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:11 PM

yeah their shipment comes in from China...am talking about actually loading up containers and shipping them here....

they they go through custom...

I waited a good 2 odd months for mine...but they did deliver
Old 04-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Advanced

yeah their shipment comes in from China...am talking about actually loading up containers and shipping them here....

they they go through custom...

I waited a good 2 odd months for mine...but they did deliver
I just rather them be honest and tell you how long it would take. Not for them to tell you "if it doesn't go out to day it will go out with tomorrow" I will call again today and see whats new about my claim.

Quick Reply: XLR8 ISC Coilover Customers - Post up some pics!!!