will bigger wheels make the car lower?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 03:10 PM
Peach Tea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will bigger wheels make the car lower?

People keep telling me if i put my 18s on, the car will be lower. I didn't think this was the case tho. some kid at my school had 19s on an accord, with stock springs and it was extremely low. I'm trying to decide if i should put my H&Rs on or just the wheels. someone help me out.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:22 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think about your question for a minute. You should be able to answer it yourself.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:29 PM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by rhizopod
Think about your question for a minute. You should be able to answer it yourself.
um ok smartass not the answer i was looking for.. if i thought about it i wouldn't have posted

the reason i am confused is cuz ppl on here with bigger rims and no drop have cars that look like SUVs, but i've seen cars with wheels and no drop look lower.

can someone post a useful answer?
thank you
Old 07-17-2003, 03:40 PM
Racer

Assume your current tire/wheel combo has a total diameter of 20". Replace it with a tire/wheel combo that has a total diameter of 24". They both bolt onto the car at the same place..... so, badazztl, what happens?
Old 07-17-2003, 03:43 PM
Peach Tea

Assume your current tire/wheel combo has a total diameter of 20". Replace it with a tire/wheel combo that has a total diameter of 24". They both bolt onto the car at the same place..... so, badazztl, what happens?
i dunno thats why i posted
Old 07-17-2003, 03:53 PM
Racer

I'm going to help you figure this out on your own. You'll be kicking yourself when you get it.

Visualize the 20" total diameter tire/wheel combo (for examples sake, let's say a 16" wheel with 2" of tire all around) mounted on the car. It is mounted at the wheel's center, so 10" (8" of wheel and 2" of tire) extend to all points from the center (hint: this includes the GROUND).

Now visualize jacking up the car, taking that wheel/tire off, and putting on a larger wheel/tire combo. Let's say an 18" wheel with 2" of tire all around for a total diameter of 22". You mount this wheel in the same place as the previous wheel/tire combo (you must, since you mount wheels at their center). So you now have 11" (9" of wheel and 2" of tire) extending to all points from the wheel's center (including the GROUND).

So, what has just happened?
Old 07-17-2003, 04:07 PM
thornrag

For extra credit:

How much closer to the body of the car will the contact surface of the tire be?
Old 07-17-2003, 04:09 PM
Peach Tea

I'm going to help you figure this out on your own. You'll be kicking yourself when you get it.

Visualize the 20" total diameter tire/wheel combo (for examples sake, let's say a 16" wheel with 2" of tire all around) mounted on the car. It is mounted at the wheel's center, so 10" (8" of wheel and 2" of tire) extend to all points from the center (hint: this includes the GROUND).

Now visualize jacking up the car, taking that wheel/tire off, and putting on a larger wheel/tire combo. Let's say an 18" wheel with 2" of tire all around for a total diameter of 22". You mount this wheel in the same place as the previous wheel/tire combo (you must, since you mount wheels at their center). So you now have 11" (9" of wheel and 2" of tire) extending to all points from the wheel's center (including the GROUND).

So, what has just happened?
lmao dood it would have been so much easier if you told me, but im guessing it will make the car lower
i hope im right lol.
its summer time and my brain is working too hard for now and i dont appreciate it:p
Old 07-17-2003, 04:11 PM
Racer

Tsk tsk, badazztl.... Try again. Why don't you draw a picture?
Old 07-17-2003, 04:13 PM
6th Gear

this might help:

Try selling your TL and signing up for a community college geometry course. Maybe that will help.

ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, IF YOU PUT ON BIGGER (OUTSIDE DIAMETER) TIRES, THE CAR WILL GET TALLER.

Moron.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:14 PM
Peach Tea

im so stoopid
Old 07-17-2003, 05:34 PM
Drifting

um...the overall diameter or out stock wheels/tires is around 25inches correct?....if we got 19s...were sitll shooting for 25inces in overall diameter...so i dont think your explanation really works...i too..dont understand how bigger rims make the car seem higher (esspecially in fender clearence) when the overall diameter is the same...
Old 07-17-2003, 05:40 PM
Drifting

to confuse you further, the overall diameter (tire sections plus rim diameter) of the new setup should be as close as possible to the stock setup. doing so prevents mileage or speedo or abs errors. if you think about it, the car is not any higher or lower but it will appear to higher when you look at it. this might stem from the fact that most new wheels are mounted farther out (due to lower offset and wider width compared to stock) or the combo of a skinny tire and open wheel face or less sag in the suspension and stronger/thinner tire sidewalls. maybe a figment or our imaginations???

but to answer the above question...the car is higher up if the rolling diameter is not kept in mind. bigger diameter than stock, car sits higher. smaller diameter than stock, car sits lower.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:42 PM
Racer

Of course if the overall outside diameter stays the same, the car height won't change!
Old 07-17-2003, 05:44 PM
Peach Tea

Re: this might help:

Originally posted by Dr. Cockulus II
Try selling your TL and signing up for a community college geometry course. Maybe that will help.

ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, IF YOU PUT ON BIGGER (OUTSIDE DIAMETER) TIRES, THE CAR WILL GET TALLER.

Moron.
:banghead: ur mean NOOB!

no need for me to sign up for a geometry class, i already passed with a B in high school like 2 yrs. ago

oh, and i dont think you make sense either b/c with bigger rims, i got a lower profile tire, so overall the size of rims and tires will be the same, thus not having an effect on height of the car. now fu(k off NOOB!
Old 07-17-2003, 05:47 PM
Racer

Re: Re: this might help:

Originally posted by badazzTL
oh, and i dont think you make sense either b/c with bigger rims, i got a lower profile tire, so overall the size of rims and tires will be the same, thus not having an effect on height of the car. now fu(k off NOOB!
Um, if you knew this, why did you post in the first place?
Old 07-17-2003, 05:48 PM
6th Gear

outer diameter. read the post next time.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:49 PM
Drifting

he was asking why even with the same overal diameter it still looked higher which stanman helped explain
Old 07-17-2003, 05:51 PM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by StanMan
to confuse you further, the overall diameter (tire sections plus rim diameter) of the new setup should be as close as possible to the stock setup. doing so prevents mileage or speedo or abs errors. if you think about it, the car is not any higher or lower but it will appear to higher when you look at it. this might stem from the fact that most new wheels are mounted farther out (due to lower offset and wider width compared to stock) or the combo of a skinny tire and open wheel face or less sag in the suspension and stronger/thinner tire sidewalls. maybe a figment or our imaginations???

but to answer the above question...the car is higher up if the rolling diameter is not kept in mind. bigger diameter than stock, car sits higher. smaller diameter than stock, car sits lower.
actually that didnt confuse me. by mentioning the speedo errors and why the new setup should be close to stock. the tires on my new set up are extremely low profile, so i think that makes up for the +2 size in the wheel, so i guess it will be about the same.

i take back what i said about me being stupid

:p
Old 07-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Racer

Originally posted by njtls
he was asking why even with the same overal diameter it still looked higher which stanman helped explain
No he wasn't. Read the original post. It's says nothing about maintaining the overall diameter.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:56 PM
Racer

Originally posted by badazzTL

i take back what i said about me being stupid

:p
No hard feelings or anything, but you obviously did not grasp my explanation which was mathematically correct. So while you may not be stupid, you certainly were not paying attention to that which was being explained to you.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:56 PM
Peach Tea

No he wasn't. Read the original post. It's says nothing about maintaining the overall diameter.
thats because at first i didnt take the tire size into consideration. i thought actual wheel size had an effect on height somehow
Old 07-17-2003, 06:32 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have 18" wheels with no drop on my Accord. My TLs is still taller.
If you stay close to stock overall diameter, your car won't be necessary taller, but you may experience the fender gap illusion. Since I took the Eibach springs off my accord and went back to stock, the fender gap really ain't noticeable. I'm into comfort these days anyway. Now, if you put 20's on your car, that is a whole new thread.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:33 AM
Drifting

dats y badazztl was left back 2 yrs in a row.

n he passed basic skills math with a B not average math.