Wheel cap problems (paint) on 3G TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Ev an' Tec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Wheel cap problems (paint) on 3G TL

On my 3G TL, I've noticed that the wheel caps are starting to look damaged. They are gray with an inner part which is indented and painted black. The black part starts to lose its paint, and look gray too. It seems like something (road salt? rocks?) is chipping off the black paint and making it look bad.

I've looked at other cars in parking lots, and seen that many other 3G TLs have this problem.

For the 2G TL, Acura had a flat inner wheel cap with the logo in black (on a gray cap), but the whole thing was flat (and probably lacquered over). So those cars are OK. As are Honda Accords for that matter. I know that the 3-dimensional look of the 3G TLs may seem cool or "precise" , but the deterioration undoes any "quality" look it has .

This is annoying because the TL wheel caps are hard to replace (you need to take the whole wheel off to swap them), and expensive ($40 a pop). (By contrast Honda Accord wheel caps are $7 to $9 each!)

If everyone else has this problem, maybe we can get Acura to do something about it.

(I hate to have to pay for new caps , or be concerned that they simply go bad every few months here in the Northeast , especially since the 2G caps look OK and those cars are much older.)

Finally, if this posting should be part of another thread, please merge it with that one. I DID search for this problem, but didn't find anything about 3G TL Wheel Caps (other than some threads about putting new aftermarket wheels on).

Old 05-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Ev an' Tec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looked at some other threads on this problem...

It looks like the 2G TLs have a problem where their center cap sticker comes off. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=wheel+cap

Meanwhile other people report problems with the "A" in the center cap getting damaged...
https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/wheel-cleaner-eats-away-center-cap-343731/

I wasn't even using any special wheel-cleaner, just the automatic car-wash (where the machine sprays some cleaner on the wheels).