What Tire/Wheel Products Do You Use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 10:11 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
What Tire/Wheel Products Do You Use?

Curious about what tire/wheel cleaners, polishes, etc you guys like to use and how well it works.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Unshunned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep it simple

Megquiar's Gold Class on the tires/wheels. Nice soft tire brush + cheap wool handmitt for the wheels. High water pressure helps get the extra nooks and crannies clean (I use my 2200 psi pressure washer, but throttle it down a bit)

for tires, I like 303 Aerospace protectant. Nice dark black, matte look finish - lasts a while as well with no build up gunk. A bit expensive, but you can use it EVERYWHERE, and it's top notch stuff.

http://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html
Old 03-27-2006, 08:13 PM
RAR

that 303 works on tires too huh? dang i've just been using it on the inside. nice tip.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Unshunned

works, and works well (if you have the budget, it can get expensive) I also use it on any rubber or plastic trim, gasket/seals on the doors and trunk, and the rubber seal around the sunroof. Makes it look slickity slick, newer than new

get a nice sponge, cut it into small pieces that are easily held with 2 fingers; saturate with 303, run along all rubber trim and gaskets. the small piece of sponge will help keep you from rubbing it on your paint and with two fingers to hold it, you can form it nicely to the rubber strip that runs the length of the roof on both sides of our TL's.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:58 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
maguiar's nxt on the wheels. vinylex on tires.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:41 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
303 on the tires is just as berzerker says. Nice matte, dark, look. I get it at a local RV supply place. It is what a lot of RV owners use on the EPDM rubber roofs of their RVs. $19.99 for a quart spray bottle. A little goes a long way. I use a foam applicator to put it on the tires to avoid over-spray.

I just passed on getting American Racing Wheel Wax since I saw some bad reviews. I'll stick with just waxing the rims occasionally with meguires. I know there are a lot of complaints about brake dust but it just washes right of with mild car soap and water. No need for anything harsh. I got a lamb's wool wheel brush at Pep Boys and it works great.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

303 and Meguiars Hot Rims
Old 03-29-2006, 07:21 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Interesting thing is different tires are made of different compounds, each likes a different dressing. Some will hold the dressing longer than others. I used to watch and see who used what and claimed it worked best, then tried it out on my car and got different results. It's all trial and error, or ask about specific brand/model of tire.

Wheel wise, I use this stuff, worked well on the stock wheels.

http://www.properautocare.com/wheelwax.html
Old 03-29-2006, 03:12 PM
Unshunned

Originally Posted by joed40
Interesting thing is different tires are made of different compounds, each likes a different dressing.
exactly. I've found the Falkens I have now hold dressings waaaay better than the Turanza's - just another reason to lose the stock tires and upgrade to hp tires!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:29 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use Eagle 1 Mag and wheel cleaner that has an acid base that makes the inside of the tire (where the brake dust accumulates the most) clean after you rince it with water once applied.
I just recently rotated the tires and the front rims had this black "gunk" accumulated behind each spoke that even with some "orange cleaner" and a "green kitchen" sponge will not come off, so !i did some research and found this stuff that starts to work the second it hits the baked in"gunk"...
For the tires I use some "Tireshine" or whatever is on sale...
Old 03-31-2006, 08:55 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

I use Armor All wheel cleaner. You don't need to use a lot to really cut through the brake dust, dirt and grime. And, it's not too hard on the wheels.

I'm comparing this to the Turtle Wax cleaner that I've used up until recently. I went through one bottle each time I washed my car. I then follow it with Meguiar's Gold Class and an old rag to get inside of the wheel.

For tires, I use Meguiar's Hot Shine. I don't know how it compares to the stuff everyone else uses but I like it.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:17 AM
Intermediate

I use Zymol wheel cleaner. I never clean the rubber due to me using Mother's Reflection Tire protection. It goes on easy and no build up along with a natural tire shine. The best part to me is their is no run-off. I also use Zymol Wheel gel to protect the rims from brake dust. It usually keeps the Wheel clean for twoo weeks.
Everyone has their preference and I like the ideal of 303. Will give it a shot when my Mother's run out.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:22 AM
RAR

Originally Posted by HEK
I use Eagle 1 Mag and wheel cleaner that has an acid base that makes the inside of the tire (where the brake dust accumulates the most) clean after you rince it with water once applied.
I just recently rotated the tires and the front rims had this black "gunk" accumulated behind each spoke that even with some "orange cleaner" and a "green kitchen" sponge will not come off, so !i did some research and found this stuff that starts to work the second it hits the baked in"gunk"...
For the tires I use some "Tireshine" or whatever is on sale...

acid base huh? that sounds worrisome...does that affect the clear coat?

I'm thinking about switching entirely to meguiar's products...
Old 03-31-2006, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody try the PowerBall by Mothers?
Old 03-31-2006, 03:14 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
another thing is pretty popular on the audi forums is this thing called "Kaboom" (as seen on TV!)

some people there swear by that stuff. It suppose to be pretty good stuff.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:56 AM
Unshunned

honestly, guys, you could try a million things, and 999,999 would probably work just fine. With painted finish on our 3g wheels, I personally like Meguiars Gold shampoo the best. Its one less bottle on my shelf, a I know it's gentle yet effective at cleaning the wheels, and it leaves them nice and shiny. You could use all sorts of products and gadget, but honestly, Gold Class and a cheap wool mitt, and you're set. The biggest thing for cleaning wheels and brakes it high pressure water - if you don't have this you won't ever get into all the cracks and crevices. But, sans pressure washer, keep it simple and you'll never ruin your wheels or rot your tires
Old 04-03-2006, 05:52 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerker
honestly, guys, you could try a million things, and 999,999 would probably work just fine. With painted finish on our 3g wheels, I personally like Meguiars Gold shampoo the best. Its one less bottle on my shelf, a I know it's gentle yet effective at cleaning the wheels, and it leaves them nice and shiny. You could use all sorts of products and gadget, but honestly, Gold Class and a cheap wool mitt, and you're set. The biggest thing for cleaning wheels and brakes it high pressure water - if you don't have this you won't ever get into all the cracks and crevices. But, sans pressure washer, keep it simple and you'll never ruin your wheels or rot your tires
That's my thoughts too. I find as long as cleaning is relatively frequent, which is about every week or two in the summer, soap and water is all that is needed. It just seems wrong to regularly put all kinds of aggressive chemicals on painted wheels that many would shutter at spraying on their hood. I wax the wheels and that makes it even easier to clean. Wheels take enough abuse already.

There are times I use Meguires Hot Wheels, or similar. Its usually once a season when I am either packing up the summer or winter wheels for the basement. It seems to be the best for cutting the behind the spokes gunk. I figure once a season won't hurt much.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:24 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
acid base huh? that sounds worrisome...does that affect the clear coat?

I'm thinking about switching entirely to meguiar's products...
If used right I see no problems, it attacks the caked up brake dust and is sold right over the counter, but it's not for those who never "read" labels and learn how to use the product ....
Old 04-05-2006, 08:02 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what is the best stuff to use for a really shinny tire?
Old 04-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Zaino Bros tire treatment