What Should I Upgrade First: (1) tires (2) springs/coils or (3) rear sway bar?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 01:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Should I Upgrade First: (1) tires (2) springs/coils or (3) rear sway bar?

I've got a 2007 TL (Automatic) with stock tires (BridgeStone Turanza EL42) and it rides very soft.

Overall, I'm looking to increase steering wheel feedback/responsiveness as well as sharpen cornering. I've gone through a lot of the forums and I see three ways to improve handling: (1) get better tires: (2) upgrade to the A-Spec suspension; and/or (3) get a CompTech rear sway bar.

Which one should I get first?

Tires: I am eyeing these Yokahama AVID W4S (I would like to keep the standard 17" rims).

A-Spec Suspension: I will be avoiding the overpriced "Handling Package" offered by my Acura dealer. They quoted me a price of $3,500 without installation, and it can only come as a package deal! This includes springs, coils, strut bar (which I want), as well as Brembro brakes (rotor, caliper, pads) and a set of A-Spec rims/tires -- neither of which I am interested in. Instead, I would like to buy this suspension assembly.

Rear Sway Bar: I've generally heard good things about this rear sway bar from CompTech.

Is upgrading the RSB or suspension useless while keeping the stock tires?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-02-2008, 01:54 AM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
3500 without installlation? HAAAA

I'd say RSB for ~130 is a hella deal.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:51 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
All three are pretty important.

Tires depend on where you live, whether it snows, etc. a lot of people underestimate how much a good set of tires can improve handling.

Suspension...for the same price as the A-spec suspension you can get Koni yellows with any spring you want, unless you absolutely need to keep it oem. A lot of people on this board, me included, will swear by the konis.

Sway bar...progress makes a 2mm thicker one than comptech. the comptech one isn't adjustable iirc while the progress is.

Get the suspension and sway bar off ebay using ms live promo, 25% off as of right now.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:05 AM
Cruisin'

thanks for the responses.

tires: I really only need them for rain; most of the time it is dry and sunny here. no snow to worry about.

suspension: thanks for the heads up -- i will look into the koni yellows.

sway bar: couldn't find the one you mentioned from progress. they only have this one for the 2004-2006 TL listed on their site.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:09 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...mZ310095590015

This will fit all 04-08 tl's. Use the live promo for 25% off.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Tires will give you the biggest single improvement. Then A-spec, then rear bar. That's if you want better handling.

If you want it to "feel" like it corners better and flatter, go with the bar first.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Fresher the Better

A great wet-weather tire for the money is the General Exclaim UHP. You'll have to spend a good deal more to get better wet-weather performance, but if you have the money the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, the Pirelli PZero and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 are the best.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Racer

Without a doubt the single most important change to improve handling is tires. Anyone that suggests any other change that will have a greater impact handling simply does not know what they are talking about. The stock EL-42's are the weak link and this car deserves much better.

Consider going with Bridgestone RE-01's. You will immediately notice a DRAMATIC improvement in handling.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:10 PM
[PA] NBP-TL

get your self some Spring, do you research! then move on to shocks! then Aspec kit.
it would cost you about half the price! good luck
Old 11-03-2008, 09:42 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

tires ftmfw, go with falken ze512's they are great
Old 11-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Cruisin'

Progress RSB will be delivered later this week. I'll see how much it flattens out the ride and decide on the tires and other components from there. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-04-2008, 01:20 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Tires will improve your handling more than anything else. But, the RSB is a great bang for the buck. H&R also makes a RSB for 3G TL's now, too.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:48 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Yeah H&R makes some really nice stuff. Their RSB's for the 3G look like a good product. The bushings are suppose to not need lube, and designed to not squeak and creak.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Cruisin'

Just got the Progress RSB and A-Spec suspension installed. What a world of difference. It feels like a completely different car. Even with the stock tires, the car feels so much more secure, planted, and balanced.

Amazingly, I've traded very little ride comfort for the added feedback. The added stiffness hasn't translated into a jarring ride. All I've really lost (thankfully) is that numbness that used to make me feel completely disconnected from the road. I only wish there was a way to make the steering a bit tighter as well.

The car dropped by about 1.1". No problems with speedbumps or curbs (yet).

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by ahrajani
Just got the Progress RSB and A-Spec suspension installed. What a world of difference. It feels like a completely different car. Even with the stock tires, the car feels so much more secure, planted, and balanced.

Amazingly, I've traded very little ride comfort for the added feedback. The added stiffness hasn't translated into a jarring ride. All I've really lost (thankfully) is that numbness that used to make me feel completely disconnected from the road. I only wish there was a way to make the steering a bit tighter as well.

The car dropped by about 1.1". No problems with speedbumps or curbs (yet).

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions!

You got 1.1" lower with the A-Spec coils and shocks? I want to lower my 06 manual TL about 1 solid inch, but most people say its about 3/4". Sorry to highjack your thread brother. I want to get Gold center 19" Volk GT-S wheels for my WDP TL. But I think I will need to lower it with 245/35/19" tires. Will the A-Spec shocks/coils look low enough with the 19" Volk GT-S wheels? I just got the A-Spec body kit today, install soon.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:26 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by ahrajani
I've got a 2007 TL (Automatic) ....

..... I will be avoiding the overpriced "Handling Package" offered by my Acura dealer. They quoted me a price of $3,500 without installation, and it can only come as a package deal! This includes springs, coils, strut bar (which I want), as well as Brembro brakes (rotor, caliper, pads) and a set of A-Spec rims/tires -- neither of which I am interested in. ....

This is *Very* odd. The Dealer is Packaging a Brembo Brake conversion into an "A-Spec"/"Handling" package? I have never heard of that. "A-Spec" brake pads for an auto, yes; Brembo conversion, no.

$3500 isn't too bad of a price. Say, $1800 for the wheels/tires, $1100 for the BBK, $600 for the A-Spec susp.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:58 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
This is *Very* odd. The Dealer is Packaging a Brembo Brake conversion into an "A-Spec"/"Handling" package? I have never heard of that. "A-Spec" brake pads for an auto, yes; Brembo conversion, no.

$3500 isn't too bad of a price. Say, $1800 for the wheels/tires, $1100 for the BBK, $600 for the A-Spec susp.
You are definitely right that those Brembo parts should not have been included in the quote for the base auto. I thought I misheard the parts rep, so I had him actually write out a list of included parts for me, so I guess he just didn't know what he was talking about.

But in terms of value, I'm happy I didn't plunk down that much money. I really just wanted a stiffer, flatter, more responsive ride, so I'm glad I was able to find the specific parts I wanted. Now I'm free to buy rims and tires of my choice as well.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Cruisin'

In terms of how much the "A-Spec" kit lowers the car, I think the numbers will differ depending on what combination of A-Spec components are installed. For example, if someone also added the underbody spoilers, or changed the size of the tires and rims, the "drop" number might change. Since I only bought the suspenion components and am using stock tires, my results are likely different than standard.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:13 AM
Safety Car

^^^OK. But how would a 20 pound A-Spec body kit make the lowering or gap from tire to wheelwell be any different. I really am considering the Tein SS coilovers but I need convincing I guess. I want lower my 06 TL manual about an inch year round, but wouldn't mind lowering it maybe to 1.5" lower for the summer. In that case I guess I would need an Ingall rear camber/toe kit like the one I put on my 07 TL-S. I just want a decent ride with control. Should I get Tein SS, Eibach pro springs with Koni yellow sport shocks, or whatever you guys/gals think. I really don't know. All I know is when I put just Eibach Pro coils on my 07 TL-S auto, it ruined the ride and control, when I went over bad RR tracks, it felt like I had NO suspension at all, like hitting BRICKS, YUK.

Please give me your suggestions. Thankyou Very Much! Happy Holidays! Jeff D.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
^^^OK. But how would a 20 pound A-Spec body kit make the lowering or gap from tire to wheelwell be any different. I really am considering the Tein SS coilovers but I need convincing I guess. I want lower my 06 TL manual about an inch year round, but wouldn't mind lowering it maybe to 1.5" lower for the summer. In that case I guess I would need an Ingall rear camber/toe kit like the one I put on my 07 TL-S. I just want a decent ride with control. Should I get Tein SS, Eibach pro springs with Koni yellow sport shocks, or whatever you guys/gals think. I really don't know. All I know is when I put just Eibach Pro coils on my 07 TL-S auto, it ruined the ride and control, when I went over bad RR tracks, it felt like I had NO suspension at all, like hitting BRICKS, YUK.

Please give me your suggestions. Thankyou Very Much! Happy Holidays! Jeff D.
ANYTHING you do to to lower the car will sacrifice ride quality. When you reduce the amount of travel available in the suspension you have to make the springs stiffer to prevent the shocks from bottoming. If ride quality is your priority than you should not change out the suspension.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bmaczo6
ANYTHING you do to to lower the car will sacrifice ride quality. When you reduce the amount of travel available in the suspension you have to make the springs stiffer to prevent the shocks from bottoming. If ride quality is your priority than you should not change out the suspension.
You're wasting your time. These guys want to slam the car to the bumpstops and then talk about how good it corners when in reality a stock suspension car would walk all over it.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:59 PM
2005 WDP TL

I had the sway bar from my type s, so I changed that out. Got me some yokahamas, I am thinking of going with a set of Koni yellows with stock springs instead of the aspec kit. What is everyone's thoughts? This is my 3rd 3rd gen TL. I haven't tried the yellows yet.

sorry to hijack.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kyle-wdp
I had the sway bar from my type s, so I changed that out. Got me some yokahamas, I am thinking of going with a set of Koni yellows with stock springs instead of the aspec kit. What is everyone's thoughts? This is my 3rd 3rd gen TL. I haven't tried the yellows yet.

sorry to hijack.

I just saw this after the PM.

If true handling is what you're after, I vote for the a-spec with an aftermarket rear sway bar. If you have the money, Koni Yellows with a-spec springs *could* potentially be better due to the adjustability.

I like the Koni Yellows because they're not super stiff until you go past 2/3 hardness yet they do a great job of damping suspension movement and the car keeps it's composure much better, especially at higher speeds.

I would put any amount of money on an a-spec car with rear swaybar against any of the aftermarket lowering spring/shock combos.

Look at what Michael Benz has accomplished with a-spec and a rear swaybar. First place in his class over the course of a year against cars that are allowed to run different spring/shock combos. That says a lot to me. And on top of that it's still a great daily driver. You can take it over bumps and up driveways without jarring your fillings loose or scraping on manhole covers.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:56 PM
2005 WDP TL

my 04 had the aspec suspension and comptech rsb with pzero neros on the stock 17s....it was bad ass. I really wanted to make sure that nothing new had come out since 04. Can the aspec suspension still be purchased for around 600 bucks off ebay?
Old 12-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say go with tires first, then suspension and followed by a rsb..Good luck!
Old 12-22-2008, 03:46 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Aspec is really nice, if you have an auto, get the manual aspec kit. The wheel gap will be even front and back. I have the aspec kit that came installed from the factory for auto and it sits a little higher in the front. I have a 3 finger gap in the front and 2 finger gap in the rear.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:18 AM
Safety Car

I talked to an owner of a shop near me, called Speedquest in Gurnee, IL. He said Tein SS are the best. I told him I want to lower the car 1-1.25 inches. I am going by other peoples opinions. I don't know? I do know I hated it when I put JUST Eibach Pro springs on my 07 TL-S auto. It sat great, but big bumps SUCKED. A-Spec just doesn't lower enough for me. I don't want to slam, just 1 solid inch. ??? Tein SS ????
Old 12-22-2008, 01:28 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
I talked to an owner of a shop near me, called Speedquest in Gurnee, IL. He said Tein SS are the best. I told him I want to lower the car 1-1.25 inches. I am going by other peoples opinions. I don't know? I do know I hated it when I put JUST Eibach Pro springs on my 07 TL-S auto. It sat great, but big bumps SUCKED. A-Spec just doesn't lower enough for me. I don't want to slam, just 1 solid inch. ??? Tein SS ????
Yeah I am probably going to get Tein SS eventually for this same reason, I want the car to sit just a hair lower than its at right now. Plus I want the front and rear to be the same height.