What do I do first? Change tires or alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:57 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do I do first? Change tires or alignment

I need to get new tires and I need to get my 4-wheel alignment done. I can not get them done at the same place. What do I do first? Alignment then new tires?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I would think the tires first as they must be balanced and then the alignment. But you can post this question here in TIRES/WHEELS/SUSPENSION for clarification:

https://acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97
Old 03-05-2009, 01:09 PM
10th Gear

thanks! I'll see if i can get any replies there as well.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Two threads for this? Really?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Well, mods can move it..........
Old 03-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Doesn't matter which one you do first, as long as you do them both on the same day. The only exception would be if you have severe uneven tire wear, which can cause the wheel to lean - giving you improper alignment readings. If this is the case, replace the tires, then drive to the other shop where you can get the alignment done.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Trew
Doesn't matter which one you do first, as long as you do them both on the same day. The only exception would be if you have severe uneven tire wear, which can cause the wheel to lean - giving you improper alignment readings. If this is the case, replace the tires, then drive to the other shop where you can get the alignment done.
It's not the tires that cause the supension to "lean" it's incorrect settings that causes the tire to wear unevenly. You can still align the vehicle although it may handle strangely while driving on uneven tread, but the suspension will be in alignment and ready for new tires.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:34 PM
HOME SWEET HOME....

get them done on the same day or as close to each other as possible, but it doesnt really matter which one u do 1st
Old 03-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I would do the alignment first if I couldn't do both at the same time. Bad tires won't affect your alignment but a bad alignment will cause your new tires to wear unevenly.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:00 PM
The Darker the berry....

Change your tires, then do the alignment right after - any mechanic worth anything will tell you this. Think about it - your tires are what sit on the pressure plates on the alignment machines. If your tires are all screwed up with popped radials and uneven wear, then what good are the calculations? If your tires are OK, then it's good to do an alignment every once in a while, but if a tire replacement is coming anywhere in the near future, then do the alignment with the new tires.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by jetblakTL
Change your tires, then do the alignment right after - any mechanic worth anything will tell you this. Think about it - your tires are what sit on the pressure plates on the alignment machines. If your tires are all screwed up with popped radials and uneven wear, then what good are the calculations? If your tires are OK, then it's good to do an alignment every once in a while, but if a tire replacement is coming anywhere in the near future, then do the alignment with the new tires.

You're spot on.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Not much of a mechanic are you! Got to add either of you!
As the tires move very easily on the alignment turnplates, the calculations are based on the suspension geometry from wheel clamps that are affixed to the wheels. The correct alignment has nothing to do with bald, feathered, or an irregular tread. If that were the case, everybody would need to buy new tires when getting an alignment to ensure that the tread is perfect.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:24 PM
The Darker the berry....

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Not much of a mechanic are you! Got to add either of you!
As the tires move very easily on the alignment turnplates, the calculations are based on the suspension geometry from wheel clamps that are affixed to the wheels. The correct alignment has nothing to do with bald, feathered, or an irregular tread. If that were the case, everybody would need to buy new tires when getting an alignment to ensure that the tread is perfect.
Not gonna argue the point (too much) cuz I think it really is common-sense. But, if you go to an alignment shop and ask, most will tell you that if your tires are IN NEED OF REPLACEMENT, i.e. heavily worn, damaged radials, uneven tread, etc., they will recommend you replace the tires before you do the alignment because it DOES affect the calculations. Ever notice that one of the first things an alignment tech will do when they get your car on the machine is to check and adjust your tire pressure? Why do that if tires don't matter? The main calculations are taken by the wheel clamps but the condition of your tires does matter. Read my previous post - I never said you need new tires to get a proper alignment.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Not gonna argue the point (too much) cuz I think it really is common-sense. But, if you go to an alignment shop and ask, most will tell you that if your tires are IN NEED OF REPLACEMENT, i.e. heavily worn, damaged radials, uneven tread, etc., they will recommend you replace the tires before you do the alignment because it DOES affect the calculations. Ever notice that one of the first things an alignment tech will do when they get your car on the machine is to check and adjust your tire pressure? Why do that if tires don't matter? The main calculations are taken by the wheel clamps but the condition of your tires does matter. Read my previous post - I never said you need new tires to get a proper alignment.
Tire pressure is only for consistency side to side. They should all be at the proper manufacturer's recommendation before the alignment. You certainly can't have one at 15 lbs, and one at 40. Same as the rear. Common sense.

The reason they look at the tires and if worn considerably, cupped, feathered, camber wear etc. they normally recommend new tires before the alignment...WHY? Not because they can't do an alignment, but if the tires aren't replaced and the alignment is done, the vehicle will handle poorly as the tread to road contact surface has now changed. You might feel it in the ride or handling, but the alignment will be correct, but try expaning it to your customer. TRUST ME......... I'm done.