Want to upgrade your Comptech RSB Sway Bar? Use better bushings w/grease fittings...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 11:02 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Want to upgrade your Comptech RSB Sway Bar? Use better bushings w/grease fittings...

Want more performance out of your Comptech RSB, less squeaks/rattles/thumps, and the ability to grease them while mounted on the car regularly? Check out this thread, Energy Suspension products makes a far superior product to the ones Comptech sends out with the RSB and it's only $15!
http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/prodbene.html

You can also upgrade the end links for like $15, I read someone on the boards said their's was bent.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=comptech+sway

I listed the part #s for the TL CT RSB you would use there as well.
http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/swaybbct.html

P/N # 9-5158 if you want the greaseable ones.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Chief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so are you using this or are you just advertising it

and is there some universal part or something that we can use on the tl because if im not mistaken they dont make any products for tl's (http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/acura.html)
Old 03-11-2006, 04:13 PM
5mins2disney.com

Yes, well I will be, I just ordered it last night it looked good. You could replace a bunch of components that are better/stiffer in the suspension with their parts actually if you wanted to.

I just put in my CT RSB this afternoon, and will change to these bushings when they show up in a few days, I will take pics for you all.

As far as a part #, yes they don't list our TL, you just use the universal for our car for a 22mm RSB. I listed the part # (part #9-5158) I ordered if you want the ones you can grease, they are found on the vendor's website under universal though, yes.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Pro

thnx for the info, be sure to tell us how well it works
Old 03-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Chief

Originally Posted by gqchicago
I listed the part # (part #9-5158) I ordered if you want the ones you can grease, they are found on the vendor's website under universal though, yes.

What about the part # for the un-greased ones??? Do you have a part # for those as well??? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:21 PM
5mins2disney.com

Sure thing, although I'm starting to sound like a company spokesman or something and I'm not! lol Just looked like a cool upgrade / product I could share with everyone as I found it buried in a post somewhere on here....

Performance Sway Bar Bushing Sets-Non-Greaseable Type

Sway Bar Diameter "A" - 7/8" / 22mm - Non-Greaseable Set # - Part # 9.5108
Color Code for sway bar bushing sets, add: G- black, R- red.
Example- #9.5151R = red
The greasable ones I ordered only come in red.
I will take some good pics of the whole installation process for these when they arrive, now that I did the CT RSB yesterday it will be easy to do it again and swap these out. With tire ramps and the right tools the whole thing was super fast and easy.
For the maximum performance benefit from the products shown on this page, use these sway bar bushings with the performance polyurethane sway bar End Link items found on the End Link page:

Now what I want to know, is what is the correct size / part #s for the End Links and are these easily swapped out too I wonder, this company has a whole line of similar performance products that could be used, pretty inexpensive too if you can put them in yourself. The end links are the pieces that connect to the ends of the rear sway bar, correct? (I'm not much of a mechanic so the parts/terms kind of throw me sometimes still, unless we're talking boats!)

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/endl.html

Old 03-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Chief

gqchicago- Thanks alot for the info. You do sound like a great salesman....maybe they're hiring...lol...I appreciate the hustle and look up.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Banned

if spending 20 bucks or so gets that annoying thud out of my rear end, thank god. if not, then i'm only out 20 bucks.

i will also give some feedback when i get them on. i ordered them today
Old 03-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Chief

Originally Posted by Ol Blue Eyes
if spending 20 bucks or so gets that annoying thud out of my rear end, thank god. if not, then i'm only out 20 bucks.

i will also give some feedback when i get them on. i ordered them today
Where did you order them from??? Thanks
Old 03-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TL-CrAzIe-05
Where did you order them from??? Thanks

Originally Posted by gqchicago

Get better handling.
These Hyper-Flex polyurethane sway bar bushings offer great improvement to your steering performance. They make your vehicle's sway bar system much more effective--almost like adding a larger, higher performance sway bar! Economy, increased efficiency, and easy installation are just some of the reasons they are so popular. They come with heavy gauge brackets that feature a gold cadmium finish for long lasting good looks and strength.

Here's their part # for the one that fits the Comptech RSB.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...p&N=115+400008
ENS-9-5158R

$13.95
Estimated Ship Date: Monday

Application Show All Brand:Energy SuspensionProduct Line:Energy Suspension Sway Bar BushingsFrame Bushings Included:YesFrame Bushings Greasable:YesSway Bar Diameter (in):7/8 in.Sway Bar Diameter (mm):22mmEnd Links Included:NoBushing Material:PolyurethaneBushing Color:RedMounting Bracket to Sway Bar Centerline Height:3/4 in.Overall Sway Bar Bracket Height:2 1/4 in.Sway Bar Bracket Maximum Bolt Center to Center:3 5/8 in.Sway Bar Bracket Minimum Bolt Center to Center:2 9/16 in.Quantity:Sold as a pair.Notes:Not recommended for fullsize pickups.Bushings, Front/Rear Sway Bar, Greaseable, 7/8 in./22mm, Red, Universal, Pair

click on the summitracing link and paste that part # in their search

this was from another thread
See Post #44
Old 03-15-2006, 08:44 PM
5mins2disney.com

Mine arrived today, I can tell right off the bat the brackets are a lot stronger, and the material seems a whole lot stiffer, it's hard to even open up the gap in the rubber (poly actually on these) part of the bushing.

The grease gasket looks cool too, and there are little channels grooved out inside the bushing so that the grease can get in. I would imagine it's a good idea as well since water might get in there over time, new grease pushes it out, just like we do on the sailboat's underwater prop with grease fittings in the fall so it doesn't freeze over the winter...

I willl take a bunch of pics and load them up this weekend when I install these, it will be basically the same as doing a rear sway bar installation, which having done once, and having the right tools, is VERY easy.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Banned

i got mine in today too. they look very heavy duty as compared to the oem or comptech bushings, i should have them on tomorrow night. i will have pics too.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:31 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I've heard a lot about troubles with the CT bushings....but personally....mine are working fine? No squeeks or rattles whatsoever? I like the look and concept of these bushings though....good idea!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Banned

Pics Pre-Installation

Summit threw in some stickers, a hat, and a catalog for "Free"

The set themselves

Summit Racing bushing on the left vs. OEM bushing on the right

Same setup. You can see the grooves gqchicago was talking about in the Summit bushing

Another shot with the bracket in it.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:44 PM
Banned

these pics are only for comparison. i cannot compare them to the comptech bushings yet because they are still on the car. figured i'd add that in since somebody would probably ask

didn't get to the edit button fast enough
Old 03-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Hi guys,

Forgive my ignorance... I just bought these too... How would grease them? Just rub grease inside so it gets trapped in the grooves? Any special kind of grease to use?

I should be installing my Tein SS and RSB and these in the next couple weeks. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by zax123
Hi guys,

Forgive my ignorance... I just bought these too... How would grease them? Just rub grease inside so it gets trapped in the grooves? Any special kind of grease to use?

I should be installing my Tein SS and RSB and these in the next couple weeks. Thanks.

you can pre-grease them as the instructions say. yes, just rub some in the grooves, then you can hook a grease gun to the connection after they are installed and grease them that way. i just picked up some regular grease from auto zone last night, and am using that.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Team Anthracite Member

OK cool, thanks... I'll wait to receive them to see the instructions you speak of.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Banned

Hold Up!

****before everyone orders a pair of these****

I just tried to install these, and the bracket is just a tad to big to thread in the second bolt. Also, even if you got the second bolt threaded, there would be no way to fit the socket onto the bolts to tighten them both down. Furthermore, the washer they send along with the kit is a must, as the OEM bolt will not sit flush on the mounting bracket without it.

this is my experience with these over the past hour, maybe gqchicago will have better luck.

this is a real bummer. the quality of these bushings over the comptech bushings is night and day. i might actually try to modify the bracket a tad to see if i can get it to work(maybe).
Old 03-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Oh MAN, this sucks!! I guess I'll cancel my order then Thanks for the info.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Banned

so this is what i have now

Sway Bar Bracket Minimum Bolt Center to Center: 2 9/16 in. This is the problem I am running into, where the bracket is just a little too long for threading the bolts in. Basically, I am just under the minimum so they won't fit.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...3&autoview=sku

i am wondering if these would work(need the experts here)

Sway Bar Bracket Minimum Bolt Center to Center: 2 1/16 in. By the way I am reading this bracket, it should fit with ease. It is 2 1/16 vs. 2 9/16 minimums. If I needed to be just under that 2 9/16 measurement, these should work. Although they aren't the greasable ones.

Here are some visual specs of those two bushings

yikes, what a nightmare
Old 03-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember reading about this on the TSX forum. The bracket with the grease fitting was slightly too big.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...1&page=2&pp=25

The bracket without the grease fitting, part # 95126, is what they recommended.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Banned

thanks jeffa, i think i'm going to try and do what moda did with his bushings brackets. If that doesn't work, I'll order the other ones.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks jeffa, i think i'm going to try and do what moda did with his bushings brackets. If that doesn't work, I'll order the other ones.

Hey, just so you know, I've got about 15k miles on my modified ones and they are still great!! A little bit of modding to the brackets and a little to the washers (to look more like a D ) all is good.

Good luck and let me know if you need any other suggestions.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Hey Blue Eyes,

I cancelled my order with Summit... do you think I should re-order with the non-greasable? I can't find what exactly moda did to modify his greaseable ones... what would you recommend? Is there really a point in upgrading to non-greaseable from the Comptech ones?
Old 03-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
the question is, will the bushing itself fit in the smaller bracket?

then you can sell the inner non-grease bushing on the forums to someone who wants a cheaper upgraded bushing to their stock/comptech without spending the money for both.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I don't think the bracket is actually smaller. I think the slots are made bigger so the bolt can slide in towards the center. And the washer under between the bolt and the slot is shaved to look like a D instead of an O. I guess it could work, but I don't know how much too small the greaseable bushings are. I'll wait to hear from Blue Eyes before ordering from summit...
Old 03-16-2006, 12:59 PM
Banned

Hey Blue Eyes,

Is there really a point in upgrading to non-greaseable from the Comptech ones?

from the measurements on summit, energy suspension, and guys from the TSX forum the NON-greasable ones should fit no problem. I definately feel these bushings are leaps and bounds greater than the comptech ones.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Blue Eyes,

Would you happen to have the measurement of the spacing of the stock bolts?
Old 03-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeffa1
I remember reading about this on the TSX forum. The bracket with the grease fitting was slightly too big.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...1&page=2&pp=25

The bracket without the grease fitting, part # 95126, is what they recommended.
^
guys, you can check it out here what moda did, as well as the NON-greasable bushings
Old 03-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
so then just shave the slots on the bracket and shave down the washers a bit? sound worth it to me.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Banned

Blue Eyes,

Would you happen to have the measurement of the spacing of the stock bolts?

no, i don't know the measurement for the stock bolts. but, this bracket was a tad to long on each end near the center to meet the minimum 2 9/16 installation. had the bracket been a little shorter, it would have worked. I am going to head to the hardware store to pickup a drill bit to mod this thing.

this pic is after modification by moda. by the looks of it the washer is now this shape - D

if you look where he has the bolts installed, before there was a little more bracket there that had to be shaved down to be able to fit both bolts in. this was also the reason for shaving the washers, as the full washer would not have been able to sit up against the bracket like that.
*on a side note, there is no difference between the black or red bushing for anyone who is just joining us
Old 03-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CleanCL
so then just shave the slots on the bracket and shave down the washers a bit? sound worth it to me.

yes, he said it was very easy
Old 03-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

yes, he said it was very easy
I just took my dremel like tool (mine runs off my compressor) and used an aggressive grit grinding cylinder (stone like) to grind down the slots.

I do the TL key mod for folks, so I also used one of my mini-grinding wheels to make the D shape in the washer. I put it in my table vice so that the part of the washer I wanted to grind was sticking up. Ground down the washer and repeated 3x more. Very very simple.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Yeah, your mod definitely looks simple, I'm just wondering if we are also only 1/4" away from the mark. If so, I'm willing to do the mod to the bracket and the washers with my dremel.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Banned

:surrender well, i gave it a go, but it just didn't work out for me.

i shaved down the bracket and washer as much as possible, and was able to thread both bolts, but i couldn't get the second bolt tight enough. i couldn't fit the socket in between the bracket and the nut after a certain point. I tried squeezing the bracket also, no luck.

lesson learned, i'll get the other ones.

thanks moda for your help.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

i shaved down the bracket and washer as much as possible, and was able to thread both bolts, but i couldn't get the second bolt tight enough. i couldn't fit the socket in between the bracket and the nut after a certain point. I tried squeezing the bracket also, no luck.

Use an open end wrench, I had to.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Chief

So what part # are you going to order now??? I ordered part #9.5108R. Is this the right one??? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TL-CrAzIe-05
So what part # are you going to order now??? I ordered part #9.5108R. Is this the right one??? Thanks.

you will have the same fit issues i had with the 9-5158R. check the product specs, the minimum sway bar bracket minimum bolt center to center is 2 9/16. we need to be under that.

i ordered this one

hopefully it works by my assumptions the needed measurements on this should be right on with the TL

Quick Reply: Want to upgrade your Comptech RSB Sway Bar? Use better bushings w/grease fittings...