The Ultimate Tire!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Ultimate Tire!!

So my car has a little over 37,000 miles on the original tires and it was about to snow.....what to buy. Well, I went with a tire that I have never heard of before and knew nothing about.......all I have to say is that EVERYONE that lives where it might snow should get them!!!!!

They are Nokian WR G2, 245/35-17. They are an all weather tire (not all season) tire from Finland with half directional tread and half normal tread! They are a little pricey, but totally worth it. My sister has a TL with the factory tires on it (about 8K) and says her car slips all around. Mine doesn't budge! They grip so good it makes me think my car is AWD (wishful thinking huh). If you're going to look up the tires, the company is Nokian Tyres (yes it's spelled T-Y-R-E-S).

Just my
Old 12-10-2007, 09:16 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Never heard of Nokian, but real cool
Old 12-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
pics of tread and link would be appreciated by many!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:24 PM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
what did u pay for em?
Old 12-11-2007, 01:13 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Somebody here was spouting how these were new upcomers. I've heard too many good things about the F1's though.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:20 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
As for the Goodyear F1 Eagle A/S tires, I can speak from experience. Had a set installed on my "other" TL; an '05 automatic - the wife's. They made a significant difference in the handling and road manners of her car.. much better than the Michelin Pilot's that came on the car. Only downside is they weigh 26 pounds each, otherwise, I would not hesitate to put them on my '04 manual the next time around (who knows, I still might). Right now, I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my '04.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:24 AM
My TL can do this, too!

How did you hear of Nokian? And how did you procure your tYres? I.e., online, at a shop, etc?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:49 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
As for the Goodyear F1 Eagle A/S tires, I can speak from experience. Had a set installed on my "other" TL; an '05 automatic - the wife's. They made a significant difference in the handling and road manners of her car.. much better than the Michelin Pilot's that came on the car. Only downside is they weigh 26 pounds each, otherwise, I would not hesitate to put them on my '04 manual the next time around (who knows, I still might). Right now, I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my '04.
I'm getting F1 A/S tires for my winter set on my OEM 17s! If I love them as much as I love my F1 UHS's then it's the sure cure for world peace!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I've heard of Nokian snow tires, which is ironic as we don't need snow tires here.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:35 AM
The Golden One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nokian tires are NOT upcomers/newcomers/etc. They have been used over in the Scandinavian countries for YEARS and their winter tires are some of the best around. For a set of four...expect to pay around $550.

It's the only winter tire I would buy if I was getting 'dedicated' winter tires.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
Somebody here was spouting how these were new upcomers. I've heard too many good things about the F1's though.

Nokians have been around forever. When I had a Subaru they were for most, the winter tire of choice. However, they were not cheap. For a winter tire the Nokian Hakkapeliitta were/are definitely the best of the best.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I have Nokian WRs on a 2000 TL, they rule.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Registered P.I.M.P

Whats the difference between all weather and all season tires?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:43 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ilya
Nokian tires are NOT upcomers/newcomers/etc. They have been used over in the Scandinavian countries for YEARS and their winter tires are some of the best around. For a set of four...expect to pay around $550.

It's the only winter tire I would buy if I was getting 'dedicated' winter tires.
Hmm...550 is cheaper than a set of F1s...hmm...Nope! F1 FTMFW!!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:44 AM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by darksom1
Hmm...550 is cheaper than a set of F1s...hmm...Nope! F1 FTMFW!!!!
That's your call, but trust me...you'll make a mistake if you go with F1's over Nokians. People in Scandinavia probably don't even know what an F1 tire is and they drive through snow like we drive on dry pavement. I'm European, I'd know. Winters in Europe are much worse than winters here (unless you live in Maine or the Rockies or something). This is simply due to the fact that most cities there (obviously not in England or France) don't have adequate snow removal methods.

Also, it depends on which Nokian tire you get. There is the Hakkapeliitta 2 and 4, etc. I was just giving a ball park figure, and my price is for my tire size (99 Maxima - 215/55/16) so for a TL which has much bigger tires, it would be quite a bit more.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by Ilya
That's your call, but trust me...you'll make a mistake if you go with F1's over Nokians. People in Scandinavia probably don't even know what an F1 tire is and they drive through snow like we drive on dry pavement. I'm European, I'd know. Winters in Europe are much worse than winters here (unless you live in Maine or the Rockies or something). This is simply due to the fact that most cities there (obviously not in England or France) don't have adequate snow removal methods.

Also, it depends on which Nokian tire you get. There is the Hakkapeliitta 2 and 4, etc. I was just giving a ball park figure, and my price is for my tire size (99 Maxima - 215/55/16) so for a TL which has much bigger tires, it would be quite a bit more.

Nokian has a few different winter tires now for passanger vehicles. Taken from www.nokiantire.com

The Nokian WRG2 with its asymmetrical inside-outside tread pattern offers the best performance in every season.

The world's fastest friction tire which is designed especially for the changing weather conditions of Central Europe. Nokian WR is suitable for year-round use, because its grip and driving comfort are excellent on a wet, dry, or snowy road.

The Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi is a new R speed category friction tire which can withstand different road surfaces and is well-suited for cars with ABS brakes and traction control/electronic stability systems.

The State-of-the-Art Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 has been uniquely designed to handle winters harshest conditions. This studded winter tire takes grip and stability to an advanced level. Features including an innovative square stud design, "Bear Claw" stud support system and new Quattrotread construction, positions the Hakkapeliitta 5 as the industry leader in winter tire safety.

The Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2 is a winter tire for demanding and varying conditions. It combines the best properties of studded and friction tires.

The Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4 provides reliability and consistency in all weather conditions from autumn to spring.

The new Nordman 2 studdable winter tire offers safety, Scandinavian technology and proven performance in the most extreme winter conditions.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:49 PM
BORICUA

I found on Tiresbyweb.com Nokian WR 235/45/17 for $224 each. They most be very good. That is almost $900 for a set of tires.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:32 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
Nokians have been around forever. When I had a Subaru they were for most, the winter tire of choice. However, they were not cheap. For a winter tire the Nokian Hakkapeliitta were/are definitely the best of the best.
True that. Super soft squishy rubber, place to put studs. Neat tires.
I ran hakka 2s on my Jetta in the winter...
Old 12-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Knockz
Whats the difference between all weather and all season tires?

First of all.... DANG guys! I didn't think that I would get such a response on this one.

As for the tires, they were $225 a piece. The difference between all weather and all season is that all weather grips like a winter tire but you can run them year round and not worry about tread degradation. I hadn't heard of them before this, but a couple guys I work with suggested this tire shop in MN (called Norm's Tire) and they are the ones who suggested the Nokians! You guys are right, they have been around for a long time. According to the tire shop guy the Finnish (sp?) test track has all kinds of up hill/down hill and sharp corners, but they test the tires when it's just wet, covered in snow and solid ice! I was sold, especially being that I live in MN.

As for the Goodyear guys.....I'll never (repeat) NEVER buy another goodyear tire again. I had Goodyear's on my previous car and hated both sets that I went through. It's all personal preference though.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by 05TLRIDER
First of all.... DANG guys! I didn't think that I would get such a response on this one.

As for the tires, they were $225 a piece. The difference between all weather and all season is that all weather grips like a winter tire but you can run them year round and not worry about tread degradation. I hadn't heard of them before this, but a couple guys I work with suggested this tire shop in MN (called Norm's Tire) and they are the ones who suggested the Nokians! You guys are right, they have been around for a long time. According to the tire shop guy the Finnish (sp?) test track has all kinds of up hill/down hill and sharp corners, but they test the tires when it's just wet, covered in snow and solid ice! I was sold, especially being that I live in MN.

As for the Goodyear guys.....I'll never (repeat) NEVER buy another goodyear tire again. I had Goodyear's on my previous car and hated both sets that I went through. It's all personal preference though.

I had goodyears on my '98 VW Golf GTi VR6 when I bought it new. They sucked royal donkey balls. Haven't you ever heard the saying.... Goodyear's it will be a good year if they last it....
Old 12-12-2007, 09:02 AM
The Golden One

I just bought a set of Goodyear Assurance TripleTred (All Season - 215/55/16) and although they aren't horrible/bad (yet)...I would prefer to have my Kumho's back on the car (Kumho Ecsta HP4). I'm getting ready to sell the car so I wanted to get something that most people know about (whether it be a good company or not - almost everyone knows what Goodyear is) and a tire with a good tread life...which these are supposed to have.

When I get my 08 TL-S, I'll most likely be running 235/45/18 Kumho Ecsta SPT's.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Cruisin'

Nokian Tyres

I had the Nokian Hakkapleiita RSI's on the 2003 IS300. I bought these tires from a local shop here in Mass. AMAZING tire. I researched these things for about two months before dropping the coin on them (950 for 4 installed) after being told about them by a guy I work with. He drives a Boxster and a Z4 and has them on his Z4 for the winter.

The tires wear very well and make the car handle quite nicely even in the wet and dry conditions. With the traction control and these tires, you CANT mess up. The IS300 was totaled approx two weeks ago by a man who ran a stop sign. I was going to use the ties on the TL but the ones I have are 215/45/17 and the TL calls for 235/45/17. With only 500 miles on them, I may just sell them. I'll getting another set for the TL.

BTW, this company is based in Finland and is a major OEM supplier to SAAB and Volvo and BMW (for cars sold in those regions). They do extensive research regarding Alpine tires and their tires currently hold the ICE land speed record. I think the car was a Bentley Continental GT fitted with Hakka's.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:29 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Nokians have been around for awhile. Bigger in Europe, rare around here. Good tire. Too expensive.

I still give my nod to Blizzaks. Not much of a Bridgestone fan except for Pole Position SO-3s and Blizzaks. For Q-rated snow tires, nothing beats them IMO.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Nokian/Hakka's are all over up here in VT. I'm running them on my Pilot. When I finally run my TL in the snow, I'll likely do Blizzaks myself.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
my bro has Nokian on his CSX
pretty $$$ but they r really really good on snow