TSW's causing vibration w/steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 05:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSW's causing vibration w/steering wheel

I just got 19" TSW Mondello rims put on my car and when I hit 70mph+ I get a vibration in the steering wheel. They were shipped to me mounted and balanced, Acura just put them on the car. I was going to go back to Acura but another member informed me that because they are TSW I need hub centrics installed and Acura won't do anything. Is this true? Trying to get additional feedback. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2005, 05:35 PM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bro, the rims they sent you should have come with hubcentric rings which the installer would have placed on the rims prior to installation. You should check with the place that you bought them from to make sure that these were included with your order. As far as acura is concerned. They may just balance them again but if the vibration is indeed due to the rims not having the hubcentric rings installed, then rebalancing most likely will not resolve your problem. I know pohanka is very weary about rebalancing after market wheels. Radley is a bit more tolerant of this. If you decide to go to Radley, ask for "Z" (he works in the evenings) Tell him you were refered by me, he'll take care of you..
Old 09-20-2005, 06:42 PM
300whp 237wtrq

check to see if your hub centric rings are in place... i'm pretty sure they installed them, and if they are there then you need to, most likely, get your wheels rebalanced and/or an alignment.

I have hub centric rings and i had some vibrations at 70+... got a rebalance of rims, helped... but still there.. so i got another alignment and that helped it out alot

try those.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:52 PM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by MugenR
hub centric rings
Sorry for my ignorance, but what are those?

Nice wheels by the way. That is also what I got and I got some Kumhos put on them. No issues.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:01 PM
300whp 237wtrq

Originally Posted by mark 3M bra man
Sorry for my ignorance, but what are those?

Nice wheels by the way. That is also what I got and I got some Kumhos put on them. No issues.

they are rings that go on your wheels right where the wheel meets the hub of your brakes. since the wheels were not made specifically for your car, there is no way for a wheel manufacture to make and distribute the exact fitment for your car.... so they make pretty much a standard size and have hub centric rings made for your car to fill in the rest... without that your wheel will be loose and will cause vibrations
Old 09-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DrumNBassTL
I just got 19" TSW Mondello rims put on my car and when I hit 70mph+ I get a vibration in the steering wheel. They were shipped to me mounted and balanced, Acura just put them on the car. I was going to go back to Acura but another member informed me that because they are TSW I need hub centrics installed and Acura won't do anything. Is this true? Trying to get additional feedback. Thanks!

Get them rebalanced preferably on a Hunter Road Force balancer. You should be fine after that.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:23 PM
6MT & LSD

What was the condition of the previous tires?

I'd say getting an alignment would help a lot.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:47 PM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
Get them rebalanced preferably on a Hunter Road Force balancer. You should be fine after that.

I agree here. If you can find a local shop that had a Hunter Roadforce Balancer, this would be your best bet. I found out about this machine a while back. This machine will actually tell you if the balancing is off because of the tire or because of the rim. The article from Sullivan Tire shown below explains it best:

Hunter's exclusive Road Force Measurement™ System utilizes a "road roller" to measure uniformity of the wheel and tire, simulating a road force test and verifying if the assembly is "round when rolling."

The GSP 9700 will automatically diagnose any vibration problems. With this machine, we can locate and eliminate virtually every cause of vibration relating to the tire and rim and offer our customers 100% quality control.
What is Road Force Measurement?
couresy of Hunter Engineering
Road Force Measurement

Road Force MeasurementT is new to the automotive service industry. This new measurement identifies tire and wheel uniformity, which has been measured for years in assembly plants and manufacturing facilities. Road Force can be used to solve uniformity related tire and wheel vibrations. Tire/wheel assembly uniformity can only be measured under load.

The load roller on the GSP9700 performs a computer simulated "road test". It measures the tire/wheel assembly to determine how "round" the assembly is when rolling under a load. If a tire were not exposed to the road surface, then balance would be more than sufficient. However, not all tires roll round under a load. For example, an egg-shaped tire/wheel assembly can be balanced about its axis, but an egg-shaped tire-wheel loaded against a surface would not give a smooth ride.

To understand the effects of radial force variation on vibration, a model of a tire can be used. The sidewall and footprint can be understood as a collection of springs between the rim and the tire contact patch. If the "springs" are not of uniform stiffness, a varied force is exerted on the axle and causes it to move up and down as the tire rotates and flexes. This movement creates a vibration in the vehicle unrelated to balance.

The GSP9700 load roller applies a force of up to 1400 pounds against the rotating tire/wheel assembly as it performs the Road Force MeasurementT. The GSP9700 measures loaded radial runout of the tire/wheel assembly within 0.002". It plots data points as the component is rotated and calculates the radial first harmonic of the tire/wheel assembly and the first harmonic of wheel runout. The peak-to-peak value (Total Indicated Runout) and second, third and fourth harmonics of Road Force are also calculated and used for diagnostics. These measurements are all displayed on other screens.

The measurements of loaded radial runout are converted to Road Force Measurement in pounds, kilograms or Newtons using the following equation:

(Loaded Radial Runout) x (Tire Spring Rate) = Road Force Measurement
Old 09-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from my past experience, it could just be the lug nuts being too tight.
take them off and re-tighten manually. do not use and impact wrenches/air guns when doing this.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

Thank you everyone for your very helpful feedback. I guess I will go back to Radley Acura to see what they can do. If they cannot do anything then I will look into who has the Hunter Roadforce. Does anyone know of anybody who might have that in the Northern VA area?
Old 09-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DrumNBassTL
Thank you everyone for your very helpful feedback. I guess I will go back to Radley Acura to see what they can do. If they cannot do anything then I will look into who has the Hunter Roadforce. Does anyone know of anybody who might have that in the Northern VA area?

Ultimate Performance in Dulles

You live in Woodbridge?
Old 09-27-2005, 05:58 PM
I slow down for COPS

Question

they are rings that go on your wheels right where the wheel meets the hub of your brakes. since the wheels were not made specifically for your car, there is no way for a wheel manufacture to make and distribute the exact fitment for your car.... so they make pretty much a standard size and have hub centric rings made for your car to fill in the rest... without that your wheel will be loose and will cause vibrations
Since I do not have the rings, should I worry about it if I do not have any vibrations?

Thanks, Mark.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:37 PM
I slow down for COPS

Since I do not have the rings, should I worry about it if I do not have any vibrations?

Thanks, Mark.
Any ideas???
Old 09-29-2005, 05:25 PM
300whp 237wtrq

Any ideas???

you're POSITIVE you don't have a hub ring for your TSW's?
Old 09-29-2005, 05:44 PM
I slow down for COPS

Cool

you're POSITIVE you don't have a hub ring for your TSW's?
I do not think so.

Here is my story. The wheels had about 200 miles when I bought them. They came off a Mustang. I took them to a dealership I do business with and they put the tires on. I took them home, took my wheels off and put these on. I did not add anything. I guess unless the dealer did knowing what they will go on, but I do not think they would. How do they look like exactly?

Thanks for your response and waiting for another one , Mark.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:48 PM
アキュラ 力

Check this out: http://www.prestigewheel.com/Catalog/HubRings66_67.pdf
And check this out: http://justforwheels.com/index.jsp?c...=how&track=GHR
Old 09-29-2005, 06:24 PM
I slow down for COPS

I guess I will have to take the wheel off to find out.

Any idea what kind of rings I would need for the TL?

Thank you for responses, Mark.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:56 PM
アキュラ 力

I guess I will have to take the wheel off to find out.

Any idea what kind of rings I would need for the TL?

Thank you for responses, Mark.

I know that with all the rims that I purchased, the company from which I bought the rims from provided the hubcentric rings for free. In both cases, they inserted a package into one of the boxes, that contained the long stem lug nuts and the hubcentric rings. If you didn't open the boxes, you may not have known that they were in there and they may have actually installed them for you. The only real way to tell is to take a wheel off and check.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
If the vibvration is inb the steering wheel, then just pop opne of the front wheels off, they probably all have the rings or all don't have the rings. Even then tho, rings don't do the best job of centerign the wheel perfectly. Only a Hubcentric wheel, like the OEM wheels, RonJon Wheels or Mugen wheels are guarenteed not to vibrate at higher speeds.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:36 PM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by rondog
If the vibvration is inb the steering wheel, then just pop opne of the front wheels off, they probably all have the rings or all don't have the rings. Even then tho, rings don't do the best job of centerign the wheel perfectly. Only a Hubcentric wheel, like the OEM wheels, RonJon Wheels or Mugen wheels are guarenteed not to vibrate at higher speeds.
Thats is what I will have to do. I bought the wheels used (see my story above), so I did not have an extra package unless they were already installed (the wheels came off a Mustang, though).

The thing is that I do not have any vibrations at any speeds, not even 110+ mph. Therefore, I do not know if I should even worry about it.

What do you think?

Thank you, Mark.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Thats is what I will have to do. I bought the wheels used (see my story above), so I did not have an extra package unless they were already installed (the wheels came off a Mustang, though).

The thing is that I do not have any vibrations at any speeds, not even 110+ mph. Therefore, I do not know if I should even worry about it.

What do you think?

Thank you, Mark.
if the wheels don't have rings and they don't vibrate, hitting a nasty bump or taking off the lugs and putting them back on can make the wheels off center. its an odds game whether the wheel will center itself on the lugs or not. but if there is no problem, don't fix it yet. I was directing thereasons for vibrations to the original thread starter.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Advanced

I had the same thing happen. I made the mistake of buying some rims from som no-name outfit down in Florida for my 3000GT and they promised they would be balanced and machined to fit my car. The garage installed them and I noticed vibration. It took me a little while to realize that they lied and did not machine the rims nor did they provide centering rings. In the end I went to tire rack and bought centering rings for them and I also had to replace the struts because the vibration destroyed the seals. Beware.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:01 AM
7th Gear

I have 18" TSW Catalunyas, they told me they would ship it mounted and balanced.......they also shake at 70mph,

I had them rebalanced at a local shop and they are okay now......

I also called the folks that I bought the wheels from and ask them for refund of the cost to rebalance my wheels.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Just got my TSW Thruxton's put on 2 days ago and I'm having vibration problems in the steering wheel also and my car is pulling to the right now. I was told to check the balance on the wheels again for the steering wheel vibration and to switch the rims from back to front and see if that fixes the pull to the right. Anyone else got any ideas what to do?
Old 10-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Usalinh
Just got my TSW Thruxton's put on 2 days ago and I'm having vibration problems in the steering wheel also and my car is pulling to the right now. I was told to check the balance on the wheels again for the steering wheel vibration and to switch the rims from back to front and see if that fixes the pull to the right. Anyone else got any ideas what to do?

always check tire pressure first-
if one front is very low it can cause a pull and a vibration-
hth
Old 10-12-2005, 07:56 PM
A-Spec'r

Do the A-spec rims come with Hub centric rings ? i would assume no because they are OEM, but I am just curious...
Old 10-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mbwmn
always check tire pressure first-
if one front is very low it can cause a pull and a vibration-
hth
Check the tire pressure that night and they were all the same. I found out that the rims and wheels were ordered from Discount Tire and where mounted and balanced there. So, assuming they balanced them right I guess I might need the hub centric rings which my friend who put the wheels on said wasn't shipped with the rims. The past couple rims I ordered came with them I wonder why Discount Tire didn't send any with the TSW. I'm rotate the wheels around to see if that fixes the pull.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Instructor

My new 20 inch TSW wheels I recently put on my TL.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Intermediate

The place I ordered my TSW's from told me that TSW does not send the rings if it's for an Acura, Nissan, Mitusbushi cars of that class. He said that with BMW and Mercedes they send the rings. I don't know. He said he was going call TSW and see if they will send me the rings. In the meantime I will try and get them balanced somewhere else besides Acura. I will keep you posted on how it goes.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Instructor

Cool DrumnBassTL! My friend's shop is called Discount Tire I think or Tire Rack whoever they got the wheels from and they are sending the hub centric rings over and they'll be here monday. Hopefully it fixes the vibrations and I'll let you know.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

Yes please let me know. Thank you.