TPMS Interchangeable???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS Interchangeable???

From the title you can see that I'm asking if the TPMS stem valve sensors are interchangeable. Any one will "real" knowledge ? I've come across auctions on eBay and listings online from Acura Dealers claiming that part# 06421-S3V-A03 is for the 06-07 RL, 06-07 TL, and 05-06 MDX. Part #42753-STK-A02 is for 07 RDX, MDX, and TSX. Part #06421-S3V-A01 is supposed to be for 04-06 MDX. Part # 06453-S3V-A04 is for a Honda Pilot. Part # 06421-S3V-A02 is supposed to be for the 2006 TL. As you can see from all that I have listed that some if not all should work interchangeable. Right??????????????????????!!!!
Old 06-23-2007, 06:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nhousepro
From the title you can see that I'm asking if the TPMS stem valve sensors are interchangeable. Any one will "real" knowledge ? I've come across auctions on eBay and listings online from Acura Dealers claiming that part# 06421-S3V-A03 is for the 06-07 RL, 06-07 TL, and 05-06 MDX. Part #42753-STK-A02 is for 07 RDX, MDX, and TSX. Part #06421-S3V-A01 is supposed to be for 04-06 MDX. Part # 06453-S3V-A04 is for a Honda Pilot. Part # 06421-S3V-A02 is supposed to be for the 2006 TL. As you can see from all that I have listed that some if not all should work interchangeable. Right??????????????????????!!!!
I wouldn't risk it. When I ordered mine for a 2006TL the dealer gave me 06421-S3V-A02 TPMS Sensors and they work fine. Just get that part #.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:16 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
The updated "current PN for the 06 TL is: 06421-S3V-A04.

This will only add to the confusion, but I have confirmed the 2005 RL sensors will work on my wife's Honda Odyssey, which species the exact same PN as the TL... Thus the RL and TLs sensors appear to be intercangeable.

I recently purchased a used set of 07 Type S sensors. Upon inspection, they are IDENTICAL to the the 2006 sensors.

I think much of the "compatibility" is dictated not by the electronics, but rather the valve stem shank.

Every sensors I've seen seem to operate at 315khz which is the critical part.

Kinda neat thing is, these sensors are made by TRW automotive. I work for TRW Government solutions before we we're bought by Northrop Grumman in 2003. Where's my employee discount?
Old 06-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Instructor

I just had sensors put on my 06 TL and the PN was 06421-S3V-A04 and they work fine.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Kennedy
The updated "current PN for the 06 TL is: 06421-S3V-A04.

This will only add to the confusion, but I have confirmed the 2005 RL sensors will work on my wife's Honda Odyssey, which species the exact same PN as the TL... Thus the RL and TLs sensors appear to be intercangeable.

I recently purchased a used set of 07 Type S sensors. Upon inspection, they are IDENTICAL to the the 2006 sensors.

I think much of the "compatibility" is dictated not by the electronics, but rather the valve stem shank.

Every sensors I've seen seem to operate at 315khz which is the critical part.

Kinda neat thing is, these sensors are made by TRW automotive. I work for TRW Government solutions before we we're bought by Northrop Grumman in 2003. Where's my employee discount?
I want to install these in my aftermarket wheels (Tork Imagine) instead of taking them out of my stock wheels. I bought a set of TPMS valves with the part #42753-STK-A02 off ebay for $50 because it advertised as TL sensors. Will these sensors work with the main unit of my 06 TL?
Old 06-23-2007, 05:58 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

I want to install these in my aftermarket wheels (Tork Imagine) instead of taking them out of my stock wheels. I bought a set of TPMS valves with the part #42753-STK-A02 off ebay for $50 because it advertised as TL sensors. Will these sensors work with the main unit of my 06 TL?
Hmm... those are for a 2007 MDX. Not sure. I'd install one, run it for 10 miles and see if it works.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:11 AM
Racer

Hmm... those are for a 2007 MDX. Not sure. I'd install one, run it for 10 miles and see if it works.
I think I will try that on Monday. And if it doesn't work I will just have to buy some more TPMS valves.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Racer

I talked to an Acura Parts Rep today and he said that the TL and MDX use the same TPMS stem valve. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to confirm this and hopefully shed some light on this topic as to save us all a headache.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Racer

The MDX TPMS stem valves work with the TL's TPMS

Part# 06421-S3V-A04, which is the newest part number for the Acura TL, did not fit into my Tork wheels as advertised. I paid $155 for the new set and was heartbroken when the technician came back to me after waiting for 2 hrs at Sears to tell me that we have a problem with the stem valves not fitting. Luckily, I brought along the TPMS valves that I bought off eBay from a 2007 MDX. The technician gave me thumbs up and I was happy that at least they fit the mounting shank. I was just worried that they would not transmit to the TPMS receivers. So today I installed one of the wheels on the car and drove around the block. And "YES", part#42753-STK-A02 which I got from eBay is working fine with my TPMS. My car picks up the transmission without any errors. The MDX stem valve has a slight difference in dimensions. So if you buy wheels and the TL valves doesn’t work then try the MDX valves.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:13 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,057 Likes on 3,891 Posts
Part# 06421-S3V-A04, which is the newest part number for the Acura TL, did not fit into my Tork wheels as advertised. I paid $155 for the new set and was heartbroken when the technician came back to me after waiting for 2 hrs at Sears to tell me that we have a problem with the stem valves not fitting. Luckily, I brought along the TPMS valves that I bought off eBay from a 2007 MDX. The technician gave me thumbs up and I was happy that at least they fit the mounting shank. I was just worried that they would not transmit to the TPMS receivers. So today I installed one of the wheels on the car and drove around the block. And "YES", part#42753-STK-A02 which I got from eBay is working fine with my TPMS. My car picks up the transmission without any errors. The MDX stem valve has a slight difference in dimensions. So if you buy wheels and the TL valves doesn’t work then try the MDX valves.
So, what prevented Part# 06421-S3V-A04 from fitting into the new rims? I'm looking into getting new rims, but this TPMS crap is really stopping me from moving ahead.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Racer

Once that TPMS part number was installed, it was not secured when torqued to specs. It was loose and free spinning. It's best to buy a tpms valve and try it on the wheel before buying it. And don't believe what the manufacture/salesman is telling you unless it was tested to fit that particular ACURA stem valve.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
WOW all this SHIT with TPMS is driving me NUTS.

STRAPS KNOWBODY has heard about, drilling holes in $700 wheels, they fit, no they don't fit.

WHAT NEXT? Do TPMS sensors work on 19" Axis Hiro's ?

Sorry to ask. BUT ?
Old 07-14-2007, 08:49 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Once that TPMS part number was installed, it was not secured when torqued to specs. It was loose and free spinning. It's best to buy a tpms valve and try it on the wheel before buying it. And don't believe what the manufacture/salesman is telling you unless it was tested to fit that particular ACURA stem valve.
I know what happened...

Was it a new sensor? NEW sensors have a lock ring that's attached to the inside of the mounting nut. When you tighten it to spec, the lock ring "breaks off". If you disassemble a used sensor you'll see this disc bouncing around inside the mounting nut... that's what breaks off. If you don't tighten it enough to break that lock ring off, you'll think you tightened the sensor all the way up, when you tightened it up against the lock ring only... leaving the sensor loosely installed as you describe.

Since the MDX sensors were used, that lock ring was allready sheared off, which is why the "tech" had no problem installing them. You MUST break that lock ring loose first.

My NEW sensors did the exact same thing back when I installed them on my privat netz. I tought the exact same thing... live and learn.

JD,
No idea about the Hiro's. I'm very sure if it's a case wheel, they're gonna fit. Get used to the TPMS PITA... the government has mandated ALL cars come with TPMS by 2009.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:15 PM
My first Avatar....

I know what happened...

Was it a new sensor? NEW sensors have a lock ring that's attached to the inside of the mounting nut. When you tighten it to spec, the lock ring "breaks off". If you disassemble a used sensor you'll see this disc bouncing around inside the mounting nut... that's what breaks off. If you don't tighten it enough to break that lock ring off, you'll think you tightened the sensor all the way up, when you tightened it up against the lock ring only... leaving the sensor loosely installed as you describe.

Since the MDX sensors were used, that lock ring was allready sheared off, which is why the "tech" had no problem installing them. You MUST break that lock ring loose first.

My NEW sensors did the exact same thing back when I installed them on my privat netz. I tought the exact same thing... live and learn.

JD,
No idea about the Hiro's. I'm very sure if it's a case wheel, they're gonna fit. Get used to the TPMS PITA... the government has mandated ALL cars come with TPMS by 2009.
So the lock ring "breaking off" is a good thing? Does the sensor become secure after the lock ring breaks off?
What prevents a sensor from NOT fitting?

This TPMS crap IS a PITA! Ya can't even just buy wheels that you like. There always has to be a question. I don't want to buy new wheels and not have the TPMS system work.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:53 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

The lock ring breaking off is a good thing. The lock ring prevents you from tightening up the nut all the way, leaving the sensor flopping around in the valve hole. Once the lock ring breaks off, it allows you to fully tighten up the sensor, making a solid seal.

If your transferring your old sensors, or buying used ones, don't worry about this. This is only an issue if you buy brand new sensors.

I'm very confident that as long as there is a valve hole on the outer face of your rim, your TPMS sesnor will fit. I carried a sensor up to a wheel store a few months ago, and the sensor fit in every wheel in the window.

Originally Posted by pttl
So the lock ring "breaking off" is a good thing? Does the sensor become secure after the lock ring breaks off?
What prevents a sensor from NOT fitting?

This TPMS crap IS a PITA! Ya can't even just buy wheels that you like. There always has to be a question. I don't want to buy new wheels and not have the TPMS system work.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:37 AM
My first Avatar....

The lock ring breaking off is a good thing. The lock ring prevents you from tightening up the nut all the way, leaving the sensor flopping around in the valve hole. Once the lock ring breaks off, it allows you to fully tighten up the sensor, making a solid seal.

If your transferring your old sensors, or buying used ones, don't worry about this. This is only an issue if you buy brand new sensors.

I'm very confident that as long as there is a valve hole on the outer face of your rim, your TPMS sesnor will fit. I carried a sensor up to a wheel store a few months ago, and the sensor fit in every wheel in the window.

Thanks for the good info! I think i'll try to find a set of new TPMS sensors after i find some rims i like.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Racer

I know what happened...

JD,
100% correct. After installing the MDX sensors I come to find that they work inaccurately meaning some days they worked fine and others no so fine. Since I already sold my new TPMS valve stems, I took the ones from my stock wheels. They installed with out any issues and work just as they did in the OEM wheels.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl
Thanks for the good info! I think i'll try to find a set of new TPMS sensors after i find some rims i like.

Just ran into this issue....the tech from the tire shop called to tell me that even though my new A04 sensors looked identical to the sensors on my OEM TL-S wheels, they don't seat properly in the wheel. I just sent him the link to this thread and he's gonna try tightening it and "breaking off" the lock ring.
I'm a little apprehensive, but if that's the way to do it, then that's what I'll do. Worst case, I'll reuse the TL-S wheel sensors and worry about the new ones when I get winter tires mounted later this year.

Thanks for the info! Gotta love "Search"!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:30 AM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I just bought rims and used tmps sensors, does anyone know how to calibrate them to work on my car? Do they just do it automaticaly?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:37 AM
08 TL-S NBP

they are from on 08 TL-S just like mine
Old 06-04-2008, 01:28 PM
08 TL-S NBP

any one?
Old 06-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Intermediate

Just to confirm will the 06TL TPMS sensors work with an 05 A-Spec Rim...i know there is no notch for them but does that really matter?
Old 07-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would like to mention that part # #42753-STK-A02 is in fact not compatible with a TL. I tried it and it doesn't work. Went to the acura dealer also and they would not work.

D