TL Type S Rims....

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:03 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL Type S Rims....

I just purchased some type-s rims an i noticed that one of the rims looks darker than the rest... Seller didnt mention that one was darker, just wondering if anyone else has seen this on factory colored rims?

Is there any fix for this? using any products for your rims?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,027 Likes on 1,518 Posts
Maybe the seller curbed one of the wheels and had it repainted?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:40 AM
10th Gear

The seller said that the car was owned from brand new, the car only had 22 miles on it, and never had any of the rims re-painted...

Just wondering if anyone else has seen paint quality issues from the factory?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:54 AM
2009 g37s 6mt

my rims all look different colors and I got them new.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Pro

I had one wheel replaced as a goodwill gesture by the dealer after pointing out (and not backing down) excessive pitting in the corners of the spokes of the wheel. When the new wheel was mounted I noticed a slight color difference. They said they didn't see it. It's slight enough that most people wouldn't notice it but as the owner, I do. Still better than the old wheel though.

Look on the inside of the wheel (barrell?). My "stock" wheels have a light grey color inside. The replacement wheel has a slightly darker color around the barrell, almost gunmetal like the wheel finish.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Kro
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerT
Maybe the seller curbed one of the wheels and had it repainted?

I happen to be the seller here. Let me put to rest any theories of curbing/repainting/covering up any damage to the wheel in question. Nothing of the sort went down. The wheels are blemish-free and always have been. If there is an issue with a wheel then it came that way from the factory (or possibly just dealer), and as I told the OP, I am definitely willing to go back to my dealer if we can identify a problem/issue in this matter. I am interested in what others have to say on this subject. I never noticed it in 20 months of ownership and I'm a pretty scrutinous guy. But I also never looked at all the wheels laying next to each other off the car either. Either way, I'm just trying to help. Buyer told me as an FYI that he started this thread.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:32 PM
10th Gear

The purpose of this thread was to see if there would have been some quality issues that others have been experiencing...

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no quality issues one rim was from a diff paint batch and prob 07 or 08 and the other was from 07 08 as well....the paint was slightly changed...thats it. i have 07 rims and they are dark i got them new and on the 08 type s i see them and they are lighter and shinier.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Kro
Pro

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
no quality issues one rim was from a diff paint batch and prob 07 or 08 and the other was from 07 08 as well....the paint was slightly changed...thats it. i have 07 rims and they are dark i got them new and on the 08 type s i see them and they are lighter and shinier.

If that's the case, could anyone explain why a new 2008 would be sold with 3 from one year and 1 from another? Seems unlikely that would just happen, and I can't think of a reason why the factory or dealer would intentionally do this.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Too many $$ toys

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kro
If that's the case, could anyone explain why a new 2008 would be sold with 3 from one year and 1 from another? Seems unlikely that would just happen, and I can't think of a reason why the factory or dealer would intentionally do this.

i would believe this is very common at the factory. there was a similar issue with dodge ram 2500 trucks as the body style came to a close in 2002. many things magically got deleted as they ran out of parts like underhood insulation and wheel well liners.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:09 PM
10th Gear

I will find out on my way home today. I am going to be at an Acura dealership in about a half hour to find out what they have to say about it.

Stay tuned!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:50 PM
10th Gear

Update:

The Service Manager(Darrin Kuster) at Naperville Acura said that the wheels would have had to come in on the car that they came on from the factory. He also said that a Service Rep would have to come out to determine if there was justification that the wheel(s) should be replaced. The owner of the car (Kro) would have to leave his car at the dealer not even knowing if we would get a replacement wheel until a rep comes out to look at them.

I dont think its worth it. The only thing that bothers me about this, is the Service Manager at the dealership didnt even listen to me when explaining the situation. I hope thats not how they treat all of their guests - they'll wind up like GM.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Kro
Pro

Oooooooookay. That's sort of an explanation. Wait...no its not. It is a (half-ass) remedy though. So no word/opinion on if anyone there thought they were mismatched? Just that a service rep would have to come out? And what about the fact that the wheels are on your car now...not mine. Why would I leave my car anywhere? Lemme know if you need me to do something and I will be glad to help.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Pro

Yeah, I don't get it. Sounds like they just don't want to deal with it. I had to push a little harder than I thought I would when I got my wheel replaced. Regardless, whether they came in on the original car or not, there's still no way for them to know they are in fact the wheels that came from the factory with the car right?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Kro
Pro

Originally Posted by jweb12
Yeah, I don't get it. Sounds like they just don't want to deal with it. I had to push a little harder than I thought I would when I got my wheel replaced. Regardless, whether they came in on the original car or not, there's still no way for them to know they are in fact the wheels that came from the factory with the car right?

Yeah I had that thought too. Even if they were still on my car, which they were even just a week ago, that's not even proof that it came that way. It happens to be the truth, but there's certainly no proof. But as I told Dan (OP), my Ac dealer has been extremely accomodating so far in other minor issues I have raised. Not sure they would love the fact that I just bought my A-specs from a different dealership and then ask them to replace one of my stockies which is now on someone else's car......but they have been great. This starts to get a little complicated tho. Dammit Dan, why did you have to realize this? HA. JK. I'm still amazed I never did tho. I'm a fussy, nit-picky little beotch. And I never once noticed.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:02 PM
10th Gear

Haha, I'm not soo worried about it. It would be nice if they would replace it, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it... Its just a wheel, no spilled blood.... If i was really worried about it I will have them re-painted this winter when I put winter wheels back on the car. No harm done. I wish they were slightly darker anyways :-P

(haha, trying to justify it)

I'm happy with the wheels...

Anyone else notice this problem?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Kro
Pro

I suppose you could have just ONE rim painted to match the one that's different, and then as long those two stay on one side of the car and the other two on the other side, each side will perfectly match at least. That shounds ghetto but we're already talking about such a slight difference to begin with, that its not. You should post a pic sometime. Cuz I'm still wondering how I missed this. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Safety Car

the workers at the factory dont give 2 shits about the cars or rim colors. so any rims that are there they'll grab install a tire n put it on the car....unless before u got the car some other car had a blow out n they replaced it with ur rim n tire and they pulled a fast one. its simple. or someone test drove ur car n rashed the rim....theres millions of possibilities. if it makes that big of a deal have em all painted. and going to the dealer isnt going to solve anything....they dont care either and they prob dont even know what happened to the car as it was being prepped or delivered or whatever the story is.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 PM
10th Gear

Yeah, if I have some time this Winter I will just have them all painted slightly darker. I will take some pics of the rims when it gets sunny again. Its almost like the wheels are in direct light vs not direct light. This thread is almost worthless without pics...
Old 06-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Safety Car

u could barely tell with pics its just that one looks lighter gray the other looks darker gray same metallic flake
Old 06-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"someone" curbed my 07 TL-S passenger rear wheel during the first time she drove it and i ordered a replacement from a reputable online dealer. after the tire was mounted and the entire view was seen the replacement wheel was a lot more silver than graphite, very noticeable. the reputable online dealer took the wheel back and found out from Acura that a paint process was missed on a batch of wheels. i ended up mending the curb rash (very minor) and opted not getting another. not that this helps you, but just to let you know it happens.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
You aren't alone OP. I got the same problem too.

<---- Can you see it?

Its more obvious in that picture because I just put some Duragloss 105 on them.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 PM
10th Gear

Here is a link to several pictures, its most noticable on the passenger side, however the drivers side has a slight variation aswell, just not as bad...

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...02/Acura%20TL/
Old 06-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Kro
Pro

hmm. that's very tough to see. it just looks like its the way the light hits them. thats what everyone would think if they even thought they saw a dif. which they probably never would. they look great on your car btw.